Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

BMI727

RE: Glad I Live In Australia And Not The US

Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:43 am

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 134):
it's every man for himself, screw anyone who gets in the way. Yey who the hell would want to live like that?

People who are willing to bet on themselves rather than the government, which it turns out, is a lot of people. Did you think that Cubans set sail on garbage heaps because they love Amtrak and Social Security?

Quoting nicoeddf (Reply 136):
If I may ask, BMI727 - just to better understand your viewpoint - have you ever BEEN outside the US?
Have you ever experienced first hand "happy little welfare states"?

I have, and France and Italy have their share of homeless people. I guess they're better paid than American bums.

Quoting nicoeddf (Reply 136):
Rest of the western world aka happy welfare states) Not only the poor have a feeling they should be helped by the more fortunate - also the FORTUNATE have a feeling that everybody is better off, if the unfortunate is being helped.

Money leaving my paycheck while getting nothing in return is anything but better off.

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 137):
To be fair, he believes in giving a fair opportunity,

...and that's only because I'm a nice guy. Economically or personally, it doesn't do much for me.

Quoting pvjin (Reply 138):
The well being of all the people around me in this society directly impacts my welfare too in a way or another.

There are thousands of people who die every day and I don't notice nor care. Someone does, but not me. 300,000,000 Americans and how many of them really make a difference to me? It's not that many.

Quoting SmittyOne (Reply 139):
I don't know if it's lead paint, television, high fructose corn syrup or what, but we've got a lot of people here who are just...not bright. An awful lot. And they keep reproducing at an alarming rate.

...and I am sick and tired of being obligated to pay for them, their Funyuns, their Natty Ice, and their meth ingredients.

Quoting cmf (Reply 140):
In many ways it is two parallel worlds with well defined interaction points such as McDonalds where they are trained to look happy enough to be forgettable.

I don't care if they look happy, where are my damn fries?
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

DeltaMD90

Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:49 am

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 150):
Did you think that Cubans set sail on garbage heaps because they love Amtrak and Social Security?

Just because Cuba sucks and the US doesn't mean we don't have room for improvement

Money leaving my paycheck while getting nothing in return is anything but better off.

You don't think not having a ton of dirt poor people benefits you? Crime for one goes down

...and that's only because I'm a nice guy. Economically or personally, it doesn't do much for me.

I thought you of all people would know how much better it is to start in the middle of the totem pole instead of the bottom

BMI727

Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:02 am

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 151):
Just because Cuba sucks and the US doesn't mean we don't have room for improvement

Improvement does not mean more social programs.

You don't think not having a ton of dirt poor people benefits you? Crime for one goes down

...and people think conservatives don't respect the poor? First of all, I don't care to pay for welfare but I have even less interest in paying protection money. If it must be spent, I prefer spending it on a gated community and larger police department.

I thought you of all people would know how much better it is to start in the middle of the totem pole instead of the bottom

I didn't start in the middle, but I got out. Beyond that, I'm out of the cellar so why should I care what goes on there?

DeltaMD90

Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:15 am

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 152):
Improvement does not mean more social programs.

Depends on your definition of improvement

...and people think conservatives don't respect the poor? First of all, I don't care to pay for welfare but I have even less interest in paying protection money. If it must be spent, I prefer spending it on a gated community and larger police department.

For the millionth time, my definition of help is to provide opportunity, not to pay for someone forever while they do nothing

I didn't start in the middle

You had plenty of luck many others didn't. You did not get where you are just by yourself. You were lucky to have parents who care for you, not to be born in the dumps, and that your parents allowed you to live with them for so long. Not everyone has it that easy

I'm out of the cellar so why should I care what goes on there?

Just hope you never end up there from no fault of your own and everyone else shares your opinion. I think you'd change your views very quickly. You seem to form your views around what serves you best, not off any principle. Either that or it's a coincidence the only things you really seem to support our education (because you benefited from it) and an outrageous defense budget (which you admitted benefits you)

BMI727

Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:23 am

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 153):
Depends on your definition of improvement

Improvement would be fewer people asserting a claim on my money.

For the millionth time, my definition of help is to provide opportunity, not to pay for someone forever while they do nothing

Then build a school.

You had plenty of luck many others didn't. You did not get where you are just by yourself.

Plenty of people luckier than I have gone nowhere. Regardless, that doesn't mean I should be made to pay for it.

You seem to form your views around what serves you best, not off any principle.

Of course I do. Everyone does, how the hell do you think liberals keep getting elected?

It is, however, a nice coincidence, that what benefits me is also sound economically and morally.

DeltaMD90

Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:40 am

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 154):
Improvement would be fewer people asserting a claim on my money.

Well again, hopefully for you the majority agrees with you

Then build a school.

I'm all for education. I'd slash defense to improve education

Plenty of people luckier than I have gone nowhere. Regardless, that doesn't mean I should be made to pay for it.

And again, I have no sympathy for those who have opportunity and squander it

Of course I do. Everyone does,

Not everyone. I know plenty of people that would pay for the benefit of others. I'd gladly pay for the next generation's education. I already said I'd cut defense despite me and my wife being in that industry. I think that would benefit society best

It is, however, a nice coincidence, that what benefits me is also sound economically and morally.

Debatable  

Again, you're a good sport. I don't have to play it safe with you, I can say what I want without having to edit it to make it sound all nice and happy. I thank you for that

photopilot

Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:54 am

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 132):
When the need arises I can figure it out in about 15 minutes.

LOL. Takes more than 15 minutes, buddy. Off topic, but it's a good skill to have. I suck at it but I can manage (just hope I don't encounter any hills at a standstill, getting into first sucks.) There may be only one time in life where bam, you need to drive a stick, but you can't. Sucks to be you

Funniest damn thing I ever saw was in a country where 95% of the cars are manual transmission. Was at a rental place and all the tourists who couldn't drive a standard were going crazy wondering what to do. Those of us who could, rented a car, hopped in and drove away. Would love to see our "15 minute hero" try to figure it out in that location.... very hilly countryside.

NAV20

Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:41 am

I suck at it but I can manage (just hope I don't encounter any hills at a standstill, getting into first sucks.)

Just as a matter of interest - is there anyone else on here 'ancient' enough (like me) to have been taught, as a normal part of their driving lessons, to 'double-declutch' so as to get from second to first while 'rolling'?  
"Once you have flown, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards.." - Leonardo da Vinci

RyanairGuru

Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:14 am

Quoting Nav20 (Reply 157):
Just as a matter of interest - is there anyone else on here 'ancient' enough (like me) to have been taught, as a normal part of their driving lessons, to 'double-declutch' so as to get from second to first while 'rolling'?

Having learned to drive, in a manual transmission, four years ago, I had to look that up. Never heard of it before, sorry  

That said, I'm pretty sure that I've done it by accident a couple of times  
Worked Hard, Flew Right

BMI727

Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:03 am

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 155):
Well again, hopefully for you the majority agrees with you

Okay, so what about a majority opinion on gay marriage? Or whether black people should vote?

I'm all for education. I'd slash defense to improve education

The problem with that is that it would hurt defense.

Not everyone. I know plenty of people that would pay for the benefit of others.

Then those people would go against their own interests without dragging everyone along with them.

DeltaMD90

Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:33 am

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 159):
Okay, so what about a majority opinion on gay marriage? Or whether black people should vote?

Those are civil rights. You're entitled to your property but the government definitely has the right to tax

Not in my opinion. Why do we need all these bases overseas? Why are we doing drug interdiction in South America? Why do we have a ton of carrier battle groups? "Influence" yadaya, I know. I disagree. We can still be the strongest and the world super power and still have a ton of R&D and technology without a lot of the fat, IMO

Then those people would go against their own interests without dragging everyone along with them.

If there is a law or tax or whatever that takes a few bucks from me and you and really benefits society, sorry bro, voting for that

I'm really sounding like a liberal, but I'm not. You just are very firm on your views and I know that when I disagree with you, it's easy to assume that I hold the opposite position. I think we agree on a lot more than you think

BMI727

Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:40 am

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 160):
Those are civil rights. You're entitled to your property but the government definitely has the right to tax

My property rights are no less important than someone's civil rights. They can tax, but they better be taxing only for things that I approve of, otherwise they're just taking my money.

We can still be the strongest and the world super power and still have a ton of R&D and technology without a lot of the fat, IMO

It's not just about being the strongest, it's about being the strongest by a margin so wide as to make war a poor option for any potential opponent.

If there is a law or tax or whatever that takes a few bucks from me and you and really benefits society, sorry bro, voting for that

Then put your own money into it and if I feel it's worth it I'll follow along. Otherwise I won't.

If the only way you can get something done is to force people to do it, maybe you should reevaluate the deal and see what's in it for them.

DeltaMD90

Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:52 am

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 161):
They can tax, but they better be taxing only for things that I approve of, otherwise they're just taking my money.

That's not how the world works. You don't pick and choose what taxes you pay and don't pay for. Well, you kinda do when you vote, but beyond that it's largely out of an individual's control. I pay taxes on things I don't approve of and you do it today

It's not just about being the strongest, it's about being the strongest by a margin so wide as to make war a poor option for any potential opponent.

Yes and I believe we can cut defense and still be "the strongest by a margin so wide as to make war a poor option for any potential opponent."

Again, you've never been in the military and I can tell you haven't dealt with the military. Don't even think about base closings and down sizing for a second--there is a TON of waste that has absolutely nothing to do with being #1. A lot of your money you love so much is taken from you in the form of taxes and much of it might as well go down the toilet. I touched on it in another thread. I think the military can definitely be more efficient, that alone would save billions

If the only way you can get something done is to force people to do it

Yes it's called the IRS. I don't know why you're treating this as some huge unprecedented idea. You are forced to pay taxes, you probably won't agree with all you pay taxes for, and society votes to increase or decrease them. Nothing radical about that, nothing unconstitutional about that, this is everyday stuff

I'm going to bed. I'll let you have the last word... I think we're going in circles at this point. Taxes--you're forced to pay them, welcome to civilization

BMI727

Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:31 am

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 162):
You don't pick and choose what taxes you pay and don't pay for.

No you don't, which is why for the most part the government should do only those things that the government must do and leave other things to private mechanisms.

Don't even think about base closings and down sizing for a second--there is a TON of waste that has absolutely nothing to do with being #1. A lot of your money you love so much is taken from you in the form of taxes and much of it might as well go down the toilet

I'm not saying they shouldn't be efficient. Spending less and cutting defense are not the same thing. The capability defines the cost, but it should never be the other way around. It would be a real shame if an American had to enter into anything resembling a fair fight.

Yes it's called the IRS. I don't know why you're treating this as some huge unprecedented idea. You are forced to pay taxes, you probably won't agree with all you pay taxes for, and society votes to increase or decrease them. Nothing radical about that, nothing unconstitutional about that, this is everyday stuff

When you have a group of people opposed to something, you might look at why they are that way. Specifically, it's that they aren't receiving value for their money. The government shouldn't be starting up programs that benefit some people while funding them with money from a group that won't be better off from said program.

I'm willing to fund a quality education system (to the point it isn't already, the US ties Switzerland for most money spent on education) that can take people as far as they want to go as a de facto comprehensive social program. But then when liberals say that they should get more money and act as if I and others owe it to them, it makes it really easy to be dismissive. At that point I would find it hard to not just say "Screw it" and let them rot in the trailer parks.

pvjin

Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:11 am

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 163):
It would be a real shame if an American had to enter into anything resembling a fair fight.

America doesn't have to enter any fight, nobody would even think about attacking you even if you cut down 50% of your current defense and what happens elsewhere shouldn't be your business.

Why you have no problem funding the life of bunch of military people who mostly haven't done anything useful for your country since Korean war which is one of the few large scale military operations in US history that have actually given long term positive results politically.
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King Jr

NAV20

Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:30 am

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 158):
Having learned to drive, in a manual transmission, four years ago, I had to look that up. Never heard of it before, sorry

Difficult to credit that anyone teaching 'manual' wouldn't have covered it, RyanairGuru.  Might be a good idea if I explained it, for the benefit of anyone in a similar position. Should only take a few lines:-

1. 'Gears' effectively mean that, at different speeds/loads, the engine turns faster or slower than the roadwheels. So the engine turns faster than the road wheels to provide the necessary extra power required when pulling away, accelerating, or climbing a hill. Once the car is at 'at cruise,' in top gear, the revs settle down to a low (and economical) minimum.

2. When 'changing down' on a manual car, it is necessary to increase the engine revolutions to provide the necessary extra power required to gain speed, climb hills, etc. 2nd, 3rd., and 4th.gears on most cars are fitted with 'synchromesh,' a system that automatically 'applies' the required extra engine speed to the gear selected. So the driver simply needs to de-clutch, select the lower gear, and let the clutch back in; the 'synchromesh' will automatically adjust the engine speed to suit.

3. But, for some reason, 'since time immemorial,' synchromesh has not usually covered changing down from second gear to first gear. So if anyone wants to change down from second to first while 'rolling,' and merely presses the clutch pedal and tries to move the lever from second to first, all they are likely to experience is a nasty grinding noise - and a big bill, if they go on doing it..........  

4. Hence 'double-declutching.' Press the clutch pedal down and move the gear lever to neutral. Then let the clutch pedal up again, and 'rev' the engine. Then lay off the accelerator, and 'offer up' the gear lever to first gear (not pushing too hard  ). As soon as the engine revs match the revs required to engage first gear, the lever will slip quietly into place, first gear will be engaged, and you'll be able to let the clutch in again and go on your way...........

Honestly can't credit that this technique isn't taught by any driving instructor teaching 'manual'...........

[Edited 2013-10-28 23:54:42]
"Once you have flown, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards.." - Leonardo da Vinci

PhilBy

Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:45 am

Quoting Nav20 (Reply 165):
Honestly can't credit that this technique isn't taught by any driving instructor teaching 'manual'

Perhaps gearboxes rotate differently south of the equator. Since about 1970 (I've not driven any cars older than that) it's rarely necessary to double declutch european cars to change from 2nd to first and it certainly isn't taught over here. In my experience going from static to reverse is more likely to give problems. Over here, automatic transmissions are mainly limited to a few ex-colonials and larger 4wd vehicles although semi-auto variants are becoming more common in top-end german machines I believe.

NAV20

Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:24 am

Quoting Philby (Reply 166):
Since about 1970 (I've not driven any cars older than that) it's rarely necessary to double declutch european cars

Why have several people said they're having trouble getting into first, then, Philby?

cmf

Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:57 am

Quoting Nav20 (Reply 167):
Why have several people said they're having trouble getting into first, then, Philby?

Who are those people?
Don’t repeat earlier generations mistakes. Learn history for a better future.

RyanairGuru

Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:08 am

Difficult to credit that anyone teaching 'manual' wouldn't have covered it, RyanairGuru

If you talk to old-timer driving instructors they will tell you that there is an awful lot they don't teach anymore which they feel should be covered.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

Kiwirob

Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:28 am

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 147):
You could sell tickets to watch those 15 minutes, it would be quite a sight I would derive a vast amount of joy and mirth seeing that, schadenfreude if you like.

I'd pay to watch him do hill starts.

I have, and France and Italy have their share of homeless people. I guess they're better paid than American bums.

Most of them I'd bet are illegial immigrants from North Africa, and who gives a poop about them.

Don't Cubans live longer and have better free healthcare, they also have a much lower infant mortality rate then the US.

I'd slash defense to improve education

Yup you could take the 6 billion the military wasted on blimps and put it into education, or how about the 13 billion wasted on the VH-71 programe which didn't deliver, or the billions on the Commanche. The US military blows billions like it's not a problem at all, it's a gravey train for the contractors and it's the taxpayer who gets screwed.

My granddad taught me, he had an old Toyota pickup which was missing the syncro on second, to get it in you had to double declutch.

No it wouldn't, it would hurt the militay industrial complex, IMO they need to be hurt. Some arses need serious kicking.

mad99

Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:44 pm

it's rarely necessary to double declutch european cars

It is if you want to drive fast.
What Nav20 says is true, its just that modern cars have synchronized g-boxes doing the job for you.

DarkSnowyNight

Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:02 pm

But, for some reason, 'since time immemorial,' synchromesh has not usually covered changing down from second gear to first gear. So if anyone wants to change down from second to first while 'rolling,' and merely presses the clutch pedal and tries to move the lever from second to first, all they are likely to experience is a nasty grinding noise - and a big bill, if they go on doing it..........

For me, I usually just don't from 2 to 1. My best guess is that they just didn't see the need since most of the time since you're usually rolling to a stop then anyway.

I will say though, it's getting ridiculous how many automatic drives there are here now. My current car is a mid sized sedan, and the effort it took to find one that had a standard and what I wanted was staggering. I ended up shopping at four different dealerships in that city before I found one that wasn't also a base model.

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 170):
No it wouldn't, it would hurt the militay industrial complex, IMO they need to be hurt. Some arses need serious kicking.

Yup. If for no reason other than to erase the entitlement mentality that these organizations seem to approach tax dollars with. The US hasn't needed a war in my lifetime and it's time our spending (at every level within the military) began to reflect that.
"Nous ne sommes pas infectés. Il n'y a pas d'infection ici..."

Kiwirob

Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:17 pm

Quoting mad99 (Reply 171):
It is if you want to drive fast.

Don't you mean the other way around, if you had to double de-clutch it would slow don't the gear changing process.

rabenschlag

Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:32 pm

Over here, automatic transmissions are mainly limited to a few ex-colonials and larger 4wd vehicles although semi-auto variants are becoming more common in top-end german machines I believe.

Slightly off topic and probably irrelevant, but I wish to mention that I drive a french machine with an automatic transmission - you can't even order it with a manual: Citroen C5 HDI240.

BMI727

Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:04 am

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 170):
Most of them I'd bet are illegial immigrants from North Africa, and who gives a poop about them.

Some countries need them to help prop up Ponzi schemes.

Quoting DarkSnowyNight (Reply 172):
The US hasn't needed a war in my lifetime and it's time our spending (at every level within the military) began to reflect that.

I don't know how old you are, so it's tough to say just how wrong that statement is. Beyond that, do you think it's a coincidence they ever drop in defense spending is followed by a huge, yet necessary, upturn?

DeltaMD90

Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:19 am

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 175):
I don't know how old you are, so it's tough to say just how wrong that statement is.

Probably older than you or me. Besides Afghanistan (initially, not all drawn out) what have we accomplished recently? What was the point of Iraq? Sure some people profited but it was very bad for most (including you and me, the tax payers.) Though you and me strongly disagree on what is considered vital to our interests... IMO, a lot of what you support is just a waste of tax money, something you hate, which makes the situation pretty ironic

zippyjet

Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:33 am

Quoting SmittyOne (Reply 3):
believe that people could opt for a far lower quantity of higher quality unprocessed food instead, and prepare it from scratch for the same money and still get enough calories; pretty obvious which choice most people make. One exception is the real issue of many neighborhoods being "underserved" by real grocery stores (too much violent theft and shoplifting for the big chains to bother) so they subsist on shrink-wrapped crap and fast food.

There's a term for this phenomanom: food desert! Meaning it's almost impssible to find accessible quality food options in your deprived neighborhoods. Very rarely are you going to find a Trader Joe's or especially a Whole Paycheck I meant Whole Foods in your bad neighborhoods where many live and die by the gun, fufill themselves with watching vapid Daytime TV with ambulance chasing get rich quick lawyers, crappy food stores and the Golden Arches.

And in our country sex education is still seen by many as being as bad if not worse than communisim. The political right is anti-abortion and rolls with the abstinence model for teen sex. Sad to say these go over as well as a fart in church! And hence we have poor kids having babies. And, now our culture actually applauds the New Morality where it's ok to have baby momma and baby daddys and have a woman have a litter of kids each with a different baby daddy.
All one has to do is watch our so called soft entertainment news and the shenanigans of such miscreants as Kanye West and Kim Kardashian having kids out of wedlock are role models for those who don't know better.

greetings from impoverished sections of Baltimore, MD USA
I'm Zippyjet & I approve this message!

mad99

Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:01 am

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 173):
Don't you mean the other way around

no
If you google it i'm sure you can find examples far better then what i'm about to write.
When you down shift and do not double de-clutch and when you engage the engine (by releasing the clutch) the rear wheels bring the engine up to the correct rpm. You can feel the car slow down when doing this. If the tyres are on the limit under braking, for example, and you do not double de-clutch the added force needed to bring the engine up to the correct rpm will push the tyres over the limit and into a skid.

Now with race cars having paddle shifters this is done by computers but i'm sure some of the lower class racing still require this technique. Have a look at FF F3 etc.

back on topic
when i lived in California, late 80's early 90's loads of young people waited tables - bars because the tips are so good that they make good money to pay for rent and uni. The base pay might be small but they make good money on tips.

Most of these 'reports' on people who make bad decisions are done to make people feel better about themselves.

If the report was on 100 Australians making bad decisions that lead to crap lives nobody in oz would watch it.

smittyone

Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:22 am

Quoting zippyjet (Reply 177):
There's a term for this phenomanom: food desert! Meaning it's almost impssible to find accessible quality food options in your deprived neighborhoods. Very rarely are you going to find a Trader Joe's or especially a Whole Paycheck I meant Whole Foods in your bad neighborhoods where many live and die by the gun, fufill themselves with watching vapid Daytime TV with ambulance chasing get rich quick lawyers, crappy food stores and the Golden Arches.

Yup. They don't even have the crappy supermarkets there. Hard to blame the companies though, running a grocery store is tough enough.

And in our country sex education is still seen by many as being as bad if not worse than communisim. The political right is anti-abortion and rolls with the abstinence model for teen sex.

Which doesn't work to well for the teen girls who get knocked up on 'Church retreats' LOL.

All one has to do is watch our so called soft entertainment news and the shenanigans of such miscreants as Kanye West and Kim Kardashian having kids out of wedlock are role models for those who don't know better.

That's why we're working our way through "Star Trek: The Next Generation" in our house  

Kiwirob

Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:25 am

Quoting mad99 (Reply 178):
You can feel the car slow down when doing this.

Which is called engine braking and used extensively in racing.

photopilot

Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:26 pm

Hence 'double-declutching.' Press the clutch pedal down and move the gear lever to neutral. Then let the clutch pedal up again, and 'rev' the engine. Then lay off the accelerator, and 'offer up' the gear lever to first gear (not pushing too hard ). As soon as the engine revs match the revs required to engage first gear, the lever will slip quietly into place, first gear will be engaged, and you'll be able to let the clutch in again and go on your way...........

Now to really confuse the unwashed.... when you're braking and downshifting at the same time, with skill and practice you can operate three pedals with only two feet. Called Heel & Toe, you brake with the ball of your right foot on the brake pedal, and "blip" the throttle with the heel of the right foot at the same time. Your left leg is doing the double-declutching at the same time. When you get really good at this.... it just feels SO GOOD!!!!!

Now, with a lot more practice, you can reach the point where you don't even bother with the clutch pedal at all, except to get going from a stop in first gear. A really good stick driver should be able to go from 1st gear up to 5th, and back down to first again without having to use the clutch. Now this is somewhat harder on a street car (fully stock) because of the mass of the flywheel. On a "tuned" car or a race/rally car, one of the first things you can do is to lighten the flywheel on a lathe which makes the car/engine much more responsive to throttle input, and much quicker to change revs, albeit it will make it easier to stall when getting going. Less rotating mass will change rpm quicker, but there isn't the mass to smooth out bad inputs by the driver. On my street car, I probably don't bother with the clutch about 50% of the time and I'm well over 100,000 km on the car without any tranny issues and still on the original clutch.

Back on topic.....

Why are we doing drug interdiction in South America?

The US is doing drug interdiction in SA because as a whole, the USA is the largest drug market in the world. You long ago lost the "war on drugs" but no politician wants to admit it. That the USA is the largest most stoned country on earth.

DeltaMD90

Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:05 pm

Quoting photopilot (Reply 181):
The US is doing drug interdiction in SA because as a whole, the USA is the largest drug market in the world. You long ago lost the "war on drugs" but no politician wants to admit it. That the USA is the largest most stoned country on earth.

I realize that, I was just highlighting the fact I think the fight is futile. I'd like to see legalization of soft drugs and decriminalization of hard drugs--throw them in a rehab not prison

zhiao

Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:00 pm

First of all, very few people in the Us even make min wage. Second, when you adjust the Aus min wage with cost of living, it's not even 10$ an hour. Yes that's better than the US, but consider that less than 5% of workers make that.

So to say you are happy you dont live in the US because you would make a 2$ higher min wage is a little rediculous. Obviously there are other considerations but this was the main one that was alluded to. In actuality, the average wage is higher than in switz though the median is slightly less (I derived it by multiplying the mean times and median / mean ratio I found through other sources).

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_average_wage

zippyjet

Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:38 am

Quoting SmittyOne (Reply 179):
Yup. They don't even have the crappy supermarkets there. Hard to blame the companies though, running a grocery store is tough enough.

And in my state of Maryland and city of Baltimore, we are strangled by beaurocratic mickey mouse laws that cost many business people aggrivation, time and money. Just recently, a supermarket called Santoni's closed it's doors for good. They were located in naredowell neighborhoods of Baltimore City. The city put into place a bottle tax for sodas which hurt the poor who shop there and Santoni's lost money.

Quoting SmittyOne (Reply 179):

Which doesn't work to well for the teen girls who get knocked up on 'Church retreats' LOL.

True That!
They don't care, as long as they don't have to deal or pay for the mistake it's no sex education, deliver that baby no matter what.
I'm Zippyjet & I approve this message!

NAV20

Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:30 am

Quoting photopilot (Reply 181):
Press the clutch pedal down and move the gear lever to neutral. Then let the clutch pedal up again, and 'rev' the engine. Then lay off the accelerator, and 'offer up' the gear lever to first gear (not pushing too hard ). As soon as the engine revs match the revs required to engage first gear, the lever will slip quietly into place, first gear will be engaged, and you'll be able to let the clutch in again and go

Just realised from your quote that I left a bit out, photopilot. I wrote:-

"Then lay off the accelerator, and 'offer up' the gear lever to first gear (not pushing too hard......."

SHOULD have typed, "Then lay off the accelerator, CLUTCH PEDAL DOWN AGAIN, and 'offer up' the gear lever to first gear (not pushing too hard......."

cmf

Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:52 am

Quoting zippyjet (Reply 184):
Just recently, a supermarket called Santoni's closed it's doors for good. They were located in naredowell neighborhoods of Baltimore City. The city put into place a bottle tax for sodas which hurt the poor who shop there and Santoni's lost money.

Always blame someone else. That two cent bottle tax isn't what killed Santoni's. Nobody buys enough sodas to cover the gas for driving to the next county. The reason they closed is the same reason why they closed their other stores, competition got the better of them.
Don’t repeat earlier generations mistakes. Learn history for a better future.