Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Tugger
Topic Author

The Most Beautiful Places To Live A Normal Life

Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:55 pm

What are the most beautiful places to actually live a "normal" life? Where can you be and wake up each day and work and afford to live, and go to movies or have entertainment around (not just tipping cows), have friends near by that you can visit with, perhaps raise a family, etc. All the things that a good amount of people need to do to live and also have beautiful things or views or amazing stuff (weather? events?) around and nearby that they get to see and or do daily or at least regularly.

I'm not looking for "perfect" places or the places that investment bankers have their second (third) home in, or that only millionaires can afford to live, or are so far away for "life" that it is a relatively isolated existence. I am wondering about places that mere mortals can live and enjoy. I have heard a lot of great places and am hoping people here can relate many more places that they have seen or know or have lived in that just makes them say "Wow, this is awesome" when they get up in the morning or as they go about their daily life.

As a starter, I have always thought that Ft. Collins, Colorado to be possibly one of those places but I have not had a chance to go there yet (but I will). Is it really that nice? Here's a couple publicity type shots:

Tugg

klm672

RE: The Most Beautiful Places To Live A Normal Life

Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:57 pm

Cleveland, OH

filler

filler

allrite

Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:16 pm

Canberra, Australia. If only I could convince my wife to move there.

Sure there's a group of undesirables who hang around a building in the centre of Canberra, but most of the time they only talk nonsense and take money from the public. The majority of them don't live permanently in Canberra anyway and only emerge to mingle with the general public every three to six years.  

RyanairGuru

Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:37 pm

My vote goes to Burlington, VT or Asheville, NC. I would move to either in a heartbeat if I could... but it's not going to happen unfortunately  
Quoting allrite (Reply 2):
Canberra, Australia

Yes  

Hobart is another

Also Brisbane. It hasn't got the mountain vistas, but it has a great climate (winters are sublime there - 20c/68f and cloudless every day), proximity to beaches, active outdoors lifestyle etc etc

[Edited 2013-10-24 16:42:06]

allrite

Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:44 pm

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 3):
Also Hobart

Pretty place, great seafood, functionally illiterate. Now don't get me started on Queensland...  

fridgmus

Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:57 pm

Just about anywhere in Australia would suit me & my Harley just fine!

F

L0VE2FLY

Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:04 am

My hometown! San Diego, CA. There's a reason why they call it America's Finest City.  

Also Brisbane. It hasn't got the mountain vistas, but it has a great climate (winters are sublime there - 20c/68f and cloudless every day), proximity to beaches, active outdoors lifestyle etc etc

Brissie reminds me of San Diego.

Tugger
Topic Author

Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:17 am

Quoting L0VE2FLY (Reply 6):
My hometown! San Diego, CA. There's a reason why they call it America's Finest City.

Well I do live here (there?) too!   I count myself as very fortunate but wasn't out to trumpet my own town. But you can!  

I was also thinking along the lines of slightly smaller places where the natural surrounding beauty is more easily evident. But yes cities can be particularly beautiful

Tugg
(ps LOVE2FLY, don't forget to check the SAN thread in Av)

[Edited 2013-10-24 17:19:34]

RyanairGuru

Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:19 am

Quoting L0VE2FLY (Reply 6):
Brissie reminds me of San Diego.

Funny you should say that, my parents now live in Brisbane and say the same thing  

They're from Norfolk/Virginia Beach, and also say that Brisbane/Gold Coast reminds them of "home" (albeit without the military!) I can't see the likeness physically (Gold Coast and Virginia Beach are pretty similar I suppose, but Brisbane is a more attractive city than Norfolk IMHO) but I guess they have a similar "vibe" so I can kind of see where they're coming from.

Quoting allrite (Reply 4):
Now don't get me started on Queensland

Now, now. SEQ is practically a different world to the rest of the state     

Quoting allrite (Reply 4):
functionally illiterate

Christ   

I'd heard the jokes about Tasmania, but didn't realise that it was Australia's West Virginia 

Still, Tassie is a wonderful place to visit nonetheless

bristolflyer

Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:32 am

Quoting tugger (Thread starter):
Ft. Collins, Colorado

I'm just down the road in Louisville. This is a great city for sure. Actually, I'd class it as a town but I was raised in England where these things are slightly different. The main drawback for Colorado for me is distance from the ocean. Oh well, can't have everything.

allrite

Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:36 am

Quoting fridgmus (Reply 5):
Just about anywhere in Australia would suit me & my Harley just fine!

Maybe not Queensland and Victoria if you want to wear any colours with your bike.  

Bloody humid in summer. You got me started.  

RyanairGuru

Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:46 am

Quoting allrite (Reply 10):
You got me started

Aahh! I thought your comment was in response to me mentioning Brisbane, but I guessed you posted while I was editing.

Bloody humid in summer

I once heard someone up there say "January and February are the price you have to pay for the other 10 months of the year". So true  

RyanairGuru

Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:05 am

I decided to add some pictures as the OP did.

Starting with Canberra:

http://www.anglicancg.org.au/data/800px-City_Centre_viewed_from_Mount_Ainslie_lookout.jpg
http://www.genkin.org/gallery/australia/canberra/au-canberra-0025.jpg

Hobart:

http://www.hobarteguide.com/images/hobart-guide.jpg

Burlington:

http://jessicaremmey.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Burlington-VT-Lake-Champlain_small.jpg
http://knockknocksocial.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Vermont-2.jpg
http://www.brianboardmanvt.com/ezstatic/data/brianboardmanvt/images/a/Church%20St%20Holiday%20Stock%20Photo.jpg

Asheville:

http://www.bentcreeknc.com/images/asheville.jpg

kiwiinoz

Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:10 am

Also Brisbane

I would never describe it as "beautiful" but it has a great lifestyle

My top 5:

San Francisco
Auckland
Melbourne
Paris
Singapore

Some are more, "easy going" than others but they are all beautiful in their own way, and provide excellent lifestyle opportunity, (providiong you have the money)

sccutler

Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:51 am

Jeff Davis County, Texas.

AR385

Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:07 am

For me, it would be, in no order:

Charlottesville, VA
Mendoza, Argentina (This would be number 1 for me)
Granada, Spain
Houston, Tx (I would say the closest to downtown you live, the better it gets)
Austin, Tx

Those come to mind now. I´m sure I can come up with others.

Pyrex

Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:28 am

As a starter, I have always thought that Ft. Collins, Colorado to be possibly one of those places

Doesn't that fall firmly into cow-tipping territory?

My vote goes to Burlington, VT or Asheville, NC.

Haight-Ashbury getting too expensive?   

As for me, cities that I consider to be cosmopolitan enough to have everything you could possibly need but also a beautiful natural setting and allow you, under the right conditions, to feel like you are living in a much smaller / more relaxed environment, would go with Boston and Auckland.

RyanairGuru

Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:38 am

Quoting Pyrex (Reply 16):
Haight-Ashbury getting too expensive?

Haha, good call 

That said, if I could live there then I gladly would. And no, I'm not a hippie. Maybe a Gen-Y hipster, though  

Superfly

Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:33 am

What are the most beautiful places to actually live a "normal" life? Where can you be and wake up each day and work and afford to live,
and also have beautiful things or views or amazing stuff (weather? events?) around and nearby that they get to see and or do daily or at least regularly.

I'm not looking for "perfect" places or the places that investment bankers have their second (third) home in, or that only millionaires can afford to live, or are so far away for "life" that it is a relatively isolated existence. I am wondering about places that mere mortals can live and enjoy.

Taking all of that in to consideration, my vote goes to Duluth, Minnesota.
A very picturesque, humble, down to earth mid-western town trapped in time. Sits on Lake Superior which is a mini-ocean. Hills, forest, lots of space and 4 season. Great fishing, hunting, skiing, ice skating, hiking, pristine coastline, good public schools, low cost of living, low crime, friendly girls, low taxes and great cheese next door in Wisconsin.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj96/Rush8track/Duluth3_zpsaecaf994.jpg

go to movies

That is boring and you can do that anywhere.

As a starter, I have always thought that Ft. Collins, Colorado to be possibly one of those places but I have not had a chance to go there yet (but I will). Is it really that nice? Here's a couple publicity type shots:

That city ranks high but it's landlocked. Even though I'm not a beach person, I just like knowing that there is one nearby.

Burlington, VT

Too many New Yorkers use that place as their playground. Also too many over-idealistic hippies have ruined the place.

Quoting kiwiinoz (Reply 13):
San Francisco

Melbourne
Paris
Singapore

Those places are very expensive.

Two other places that come to mind but cost of living rules them out is Sapporo, Japan or one of the southern towns on the South Island of New Zealand such as Dunedin, Invercargill or Queenstown.

bookishaviator

Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:10 am

Queenstown, New Zealand.

Fell in love with the place when I was there in August. Felt like it was just big enough to sustain my interest, but small enough to feel cosy at the same time. Auckland not too far away, MEL and SYD also wouldn't require a massive logistical effort to get to if I was craving the 'big city' feel for a few days.

Also, I'd move there just for the burgers at Fergburger.

Superfly

Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:58 am

Quoting bookishaviator (Reply 19):
Fell in love with the place when I was there in August. Felt like it was just big enough to sustain my interest, but small enough to feel cosy at the same time.

Sounds great. Do they get a lot of snow in the winter? August would be the coldest month, right?
Many Australian cities seem charming but they have many snakes and deadly spiders which rule out the entire continent.

Stealthz

Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:10 am

Quoting bristolflyer (Reply 9):
I'm just down the road in Louisville.

Hosted a client visit to our corp HQ there some years back, enjoyed the time there and in Boulder...An exec I had met when she visited Australia took me to dinner in Denver and politely asked what I would like.. seafood? My response" hell I'm from Sydney did not fly to Colorado to eat seafood" had a pretty decent steak though!!
Another little anecdote.. came down to breakfast at the hotel in Boulder and the Restaurant hostess apologised for the fog ruining the view... Once again" I'm from Sydney and recognise that smell**.. it isn't fog!!" CO was just entering a very bad fire season!

Cheers

Chris

** Sadly something we are all too familiar with here right now!

bookishaviator

Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:12 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 20):
Sounds great. Do they get a lot of snow in the winter?

I believe the city itself doesn't get all that much snow (I certainly didn't see any during my time there) but the surrounding mountains most definitely do, which provides for spectacular backdrops from pretty much any point in Queenstown.

It was cold in August, but not ridiculously so - a bit colder than what I might experience in the middle of winter at home in MEL. When I was there, temperatures ranged from a min of 0 overnight to a max of anywhere from 8 - 12 during the day.

kiwiinoz

Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:20 am

Ahh yes.....Fergburger.....love it

We are currently looking at buying a holiday apartment in Queenstown. They are not expensive, considering the quality of the destination

Superfly

Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:21 am

Quoting bookishaviator (Reply 22):
I believe the city itself doesn't get all that much snow (I certainly didn't see any during my time there) but the surrounding mountains most definitely do, which provides for spectacular backdrops from pretty much any point in Queenstown.

It was cold in August, but not ridiculously so - a bit colder than what I might experience in the middle of winter at home in MEL. When I was there, temperatures ranged from a min of 0 overnight to a max of anywhere from 8 - 12 during the day.

I was hoping it would get colder. Any cities on the South Island that get a lot of snow?

melpax

Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:17 am

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 12):
Hobart:

Very nice part of the world, Launceston's not too bad either - it is the home of the Boag's brewery!

Quoting Superfly (Reply 18):
Melbourne

Those places are very expensive.

Not bloody wrong there.

Closer to Melbourne, the gold rush city of Bendigo, quite a pretty little city, and Melbourne is under 2 hours drive away.

You also have Ballarat, another gold rush city, slightly closer to Melbourne, now in commuting distance with improvements to the train line out there - just a bit over an hour from Ballarat to Melbourne CBD. Too bloody cold in winter though! - it does snow here.

http://www.ballarat.com/imagesa-l/Ballarat%20Panorama.jpg

Both places have started to become popular with hipsters & the like who have been priced out of the inner suburbs in Melbourne. A period home in either of these cities costs a fraction of what the same home would get if it was in Melbourne.

Gonzalo

Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:58 am

The decision of what place is "better" to live is soooo subjective... depends ( too much ) of the interest of each individual... A surfer will probably say Hawaii, while a person who loves museums and architecture will probably choose some European city/country and put Hawaii in the bottom of the list.... But anyway, an interesting thread and a good way to learn different views about our world....

Yesterday I saw a show ( on Discovery Theater HD) about Australia and Tasmania.... no wonder why there are some fans of that part of the world in this thread     . But for people like me ( don't like spiders and snakes ) there are some down sides in Down Under !!

In South America my votes will go to some places ( in no order ) of Uruguay, Chile and Brazil, although there are some places in Argentina like Mendoza or Bariloche that are fantastic too. My candidate cities will be :

Montevideo ( Uruguay ), Colonia ( Uruguay ), Puerto Montt (Chile ), Viña del Mar ( Chile ), Mendoza ( Argentina ), Salvador/Recife/Fortaleza ( Brazil ), and if you are a "bigger city person", Santiago de Chile could fit.

There are also some places in this continent where I woldn't live unless you point a gun to my head : Caracas ( no offense, but that crime rate is outrageous and shameful ), Asunción (Paraguay), just for the heat and the mosquito plague, La Paz ( Bolivia ), since I can't live at that altitude, I was at +5.300 meters once and I still remember how difficult was breathing, even seated and not doing anything...and Calama, Chile.... sorry people of Calama, but that city is really ugly, and definitely not a good place to live ( although the money usually paid over there is BIG...)

Just my view....
Rgds.
G.-

ImperialEagle

Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:09 pm

Quoting tugger (Reply 7):
slightly smaller places where the natural surrounding beauty is more easily evident.

I moved here to Roanoke,VA about five years ago from my home in Atlanta. I have never looked back. After all the crime and traffic issues in Atlanta, Roanoke is a shock. People around here regularly leave their homes unlocked and the keys in their cars. It is pretty funny to wander the parking lots at a grocery store here and observe how many unoccupied cars have the keys hanging in the ignition. And, people of all races and walks of life are cordial to each other without any of that edgyness.

You do have to get used to all the critters that come to visit. I have been sitting on my sofa in my living room and had deer walk right up to the window and seemingly peer inside! They wander around the yard looking to munch on my vegetation. We do have the occasional brown bear, lots of racoons, possums, ground hogs, beavers, and those damned skunks. LOTS of skunks!

It is a fairly small city set down in a valley and surrounded by mountains. In the winter, when we have snows, the mountains tend to retain the snow even if it melts here in the city. So everywhere you look is a beautiful picture of snow covered mountains, for months sometimes. The cost of living is much lower here than Atlanta and the crime is nearly non-existent compared to Atlanta. Taxes are fairly low for the moment. It costs me about $25.00 a year to renew the tag on my Mercedes. My water/sewer/trash is about $35.00 a month. The gas bill went from over $200.00 in Atlanta to $85.00 and my power bill from almost $200.00 to about $65.00 a month and I usually turn my home into a meat-locker in the summer with the airconditioning.   

Climate wise there is much less humidity than the deep south. We do get plenty of snow in the winter and the winters do tend to be cold. Lots of teens and twenties and single digits (like Atlanta used to be long ago).
In the summer it gets right up there to the 90's with much less humidity than many other places.

And----I never have to worry about traffic. I never have to plan my day about where I will be when----because of traffic.
I don't miss Atlanta at all. If I need something from the big-cities I can order it off of the internet. Even so, Greensboro,NC is about 2 hrs. away. Richmond,Va is about 3.5 hrs. away. Charlotte,NC is about 3 hrs. Charleston,WV,ia about 3 hrs. Wash.D.C. is about 4 hrs. and Atlanta is about 6 hrs.

If you are planning a move to the Mid-Atlantic region of the US I would highly recommend a visit to check-out Roanoke,VA.   

Stealthz

Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:09 pm

Quoting Gonzalo (Reply 26):
don't like spiders and snakes

Funny that.. I live in the Northern suburbs of Sydney, the home of the Funnel Web spider(arguably one of the planets most lethal) .. never seen one, have spent much of my life living and travelling in the "outback".. only snake I have ever seen was on the road while driving(mostly long dead)
Strange fiction those overseas believe about Aus... Americans fear the small reptiles, insects and arachnids of Australia but tolerate the bears, wolves, mountain lions and other apex predators of their continent!!

Gonzalo

Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:02 pm

Quoting stealthz (Reply 28):
Funny that.. I live in the Northern suburbs of Sydney, the home of the Funnel Web spider(arguably one of the planets most lethal) .. never seen one, have spent much of my life living and travelling in the "outback".. only snake I have ever seen was on the road while driving(mostly long dead)

Probably the TV shows and news papers are the ones to blame for this !! Only yesterday I saw a map in a website ( can´t remember the name and I can't find it in the record of visited pages, but IIRC was made by some big organization like World Bank or the UN ), where they described the thing for what is best known each country. Chileans were known for "staying married", Argentinians for "Exporting Football players", Uruguayans for "Eating Meat"......and Australia....yes.... "having Most Venomous/Dangerous Animals".... Probably the average Australian has 100 times more chance of dying in a car accident instead something related with spiders/snakes/sharks/irukandgi jellyfish, but you know, the TV is a very powerful instrument to build myths...

Rgds.
G.

[Edited 2013-10-25 06:04:07]

dc9northwest

Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:14 pm

If you have a Norwegian salary, Bergen's pretty nice.

If you have a Swiss salary, Interlaken or Lucerne are cool.

Generally speaking, the higher the cost, the higher the living standards, the better your life is.

I'll say that any city that requires a car is very low on my list, as well as anything that has a high murder rate. That eliminates most of the Americas (though I do wanna visit every country, if possible). Africa is also not known for having good public transit, with few exceptions. The middle east--cheap oil--very car-centered countries. South/southeast Asia... couldn't stand the weather, sounds terrible.

No idea about Australia/New Zealand's non-aviation public transportation links, but Aussie is quite huge and they're both rather isolated by a long long flight from other parts of the world.

For me, it would have to be either Europe or Japan.

Cheap, livable and nice (although no mountains): Riga.

Maybe Southern Poland/Slovakia for mountains?

Siena in Tuscany?

If you don't want cheap, then Norway and Switzerland lead the bunch (any other place you'd visit would seem cheap, though!). Austria too. Maybe Northern Italy.

Quoting stealthz (Reply 28):
Americans fear the small reptiles, insects and arachnids of Australia but tolerate the bears, wolves, mountain lions and other apex predators of their continent!!

Well, that's fair enough, spiders are friggin' ugly and we've evolved to fear them.

Mountain lions and wolves are "just bigger cats and dogs"... Plus, you can see them without watching your every step or having to check your shoes before putting 'em on. Teddy bears are popular for kids and real bears can act in perceived "cute" ways. Even if they're "as dangerous" your Australian bugs  

I don't mind reptiles but insects and arachnids are horrible. Mammals are quite nice.

ual747den

Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:14 pm

I live just outside of Ft.. Collins and love it. I have always wanted to move away close to the beach and seriously considered Naples FL for a while but I just couldn't bring myself to do it. I have travveled all over the country and there is just no place that was good enough to get me out of Colorado!

If you start to serioously look at this area I would take a close look at Water Valley in Windsor CO. It is very close to. Ft. Collins and the "resort style living" is really nice. The neighborhood has lots of private lakes just a short golf cart ride away and its nice to go to the country club and have a swim durring the day. You can order an amazing steak poolside and just bill it to your account so you don't even have to take wallet with you while enjoying the commmunity.

Quoting Pyrex (Reply 16):
Doesn't that fall firmly into cow-tipping territory?

No it doesn't. This is a big colllege town however if you travel an hour North you would be correct.

DarkSnowyNight

Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:46 pm

Quoting ImperialEagle (Reply 27):

I moved here to Roanoke,VA about five years ago from my home in Atlanta. I have never looked back.

I was also unable to avoid living in Roanoke at one point. I'll just say my experience was quite opposite. There were some nice-ish things about it (I'll let you know when I remember what they were) I guess.

But for the most part, I really didn't like it. It had a really dilapidated run-down feel to it. I lived over by Hollins, to give you an idea of where specifically.

I think it's cool you like being there and all, but I don't think anyone could pay me to live there again.

Roanoke is a shock.

It's that, alright.

As for awesome livable places, my vote goes to Los Angeles county. Yup, no type-o there. Lots of ugly here, no doubt, but there's a reason why we have a bigger population than some European countries. Pretty much anything you can think of, we got it. If you can't think of it, we probably have three of those too.

IADCA

Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:03 pm

Queenstown, New Zealand.

Fell in love with the place when I was there in August. Felt like it was just big enough to sustain my interest, but small enough to feel cosy at the same time. Auckland not too far away, MEL and SYD also wouldn't require a massive logistical effort to get to if I was craving the 'big city' feel for a few days.

This. And heck yes on Fergburger. Venison burgers are good things.

Quoting kiwiinoz (Reply 23):
They are not expensive, considering the quality of the destination

Yeah, and you can rent them out when you're not there. It's pretty much a year-round destination now.

I moved here to Roanoke,VA about five years ago from my home in Atlanta.

I'm not a big fan of a charmless morass that looks like a slightly downtrodden outer suburb of a real city, but to each his own. The mountains are night, but Lexington's just up the road and doesn't have that...uh...Roanokeness to it.

Quoting AR385 (Reply 15):
Charlottesville, VA

There's a small area of downtown that's nice and UVA is nice. The rest of it, especially that mess on 29 and 250, is just Roanoke in a different location. The proximity to the mountains is a strong point.

Marcus

Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:21 pm

Adelaide
San Diego
Cairns
Vancouver

desertjets

Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:56 pm

Quoting IADCA (Reply 33):
Quoting AR385 (Reply 15):
Charlottesville, VA

There's a small area of downtown that's nice and UVA is nice. The rest of it, especially that mess on 29 and 250, is just Roanoke in a different location. The proximity to the mountains is a strong point.

I lived in C-Ville from '02-'04 and again from '07-'09. Both times I was in grad school at UVA. I liked it more the first time, left the second time not at all in love with the place. The city proper from downtown to grounds is nice. And there are some lovely neighborhoods around -- both in the city proper and in the surrounding areas. But I always felt slightly out of place in the more UVA centric areas. I suppose it is in part due to my lower-middle class upbringing that I feel out of place amongst those who enjoyed more wealth -- a very subtle but undeniable bit of classism.

Beyond that housing costs have been steadily climbing. Where I lived in 03/04, which were basic (but nice and well maintained) garden style apartments on 15th street, were torn down and replaced with apartments with considerably higher rent. When I interned in the University Library, many of my professional (and reasonably well-paid) coworkers found the cost of homeownership in Charlottesville or in the immediate areas surrounding the city to be too high. A lot of folks living in Wanyesboro, Lake Monticello, etc.

Oh and traffic sucks majorly. The road infrastructure is simply not up to the task of 150,000 people.

Of course normal is all relative, and I kind of base it off of could I live like I am living now (or a little better) on a salary equivalent to what I currently have. Back to the OP I think much of the front range of Colorado fits that bill well. I haven't made it up to Fort Collins, but certain parts of the Denver metro have a lot of appeal to me.

In an almost mid-life crisis moment I was semi-seriously looking at Missoula, Montana. Quircky little college town amongst incredible natural splendor. But wages and cost of living/housing were majorly out of line. In my line of work looking at potential jobs, I saw salaries a good 10% down from where I was at. Rents were doable, but you start getting into more highly desirable neighborhoods the rents went through the roof. And through my reading the cost of everyday stuff was more -- which makes sense being a smallish city kind of in the middle of nowhere.

ozglobal

Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:03 pm

I now we're supposed to stay to more regional cities, but I want to put a plug in for Paris and a shot from my balcony:

View from my balcony on a brooding Parisian afternoon...

Other favourites :

- Edinburgh
- Salzburg
- Copenhagen
- Berlin
- Sydney
- Melbourne
- Prague
- Riga
- Cologne

sw733

Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:25 pm

Burlington, VT as earlier mentioned

CXB77L

Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:42 pm

Vancouver. Currently my favourite city in the world. I'm not sure what's it's like to live in, but as a tourist, I love every bit about it. I think I could easily live there, go to work Downtown during the week and go skiing on the weekend (or in summer, go for a drive in the mountains).

http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb465/CXB77L/IMG_1299_zpsc7ba1da8.jpg

http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb465/CXB77L/IMG_0407_zps1d97bc33.jpg

http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb465/CXB77L/IMG_0357_zps3975c9ae.jpg

fridgmus

Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:36 pm

Maybe not Queensland and Victoria if you want to wear any colours with your bike.

I don't wear colours mate! I just love to ride and never met an Australian I didn't like when traveling throughout Victoria and the southern part of Western Australia. Of course I don't act like a wanker as some bikers do.

Treat people with respect and you'll get it in return (hopefully).

In October of 2011 we were going to ride to Mildura, but there was a big biker meeting and friend in the police told my friend not to take us up there. Good thing too. Lots of police and arrests.

Quoting melpax (Reply 25):
Closer to Melbourne, the gold rush city of Bendigo, quite a pretty little city, and Melbourne is under 2 hours drive away.

Rode to both Bendigo and Ballarat, stayed at the hotels in your second and fourth pictures during my trip to Australia in May of 2008 ! We spent most of a day in each and just loved it. I really like those smaller Aussie towns. I love the architecture and the furnishings inside were great and so was the food. {

Spent a week in Tassie during that trip, had a blast! Hobart was great and we rode to the top of Mt. Wellington for a fantastic view of Hobart, but the wind damn near blew my big ass over !

Here's a shot of my best mate Eddy and I somewhere in the Australian Alps. My God it was beautiful!

Eddy and I in the Australian Alps, Victoria

johns624

Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:12 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 18):
Taking all of that in to consideration, my vote goes to Duluth, Minnesota

I agree. Marquette, MI is similar, but on a smaller scale. If you like the outdoors, and four seasons, they're perfect.

dtw9

Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:45 am

Traverse City, Michigan,if you don't mind winter

http://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large/grapevines-on-old-mission-peninsula--traverse-city-michigan-michelle-calkins.jpg
http://is0.gaslightmedia.com/TCCVB/pageImg/is58-1376919817-07889.jpeg
http://savoringsarah.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/4177085664_2f0853af42_b.jpg?w=1024&h=683

fridgmus

Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:29 am

Quoting dtw9 (Reply 41):

Wow, I'm impressed! I've heard Michigan has some gorgeous places and this is obviously one of them.

Thanks,

F

OA412

Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:55 am

Colorado's front range has a lot of what you're looking for. I've been living in the Denver metro area for just over 2 years now, and love it. The number of microbreweries alone is reason enough to love it.  
Quoting bristolflyer (Reply 9):
The main drawback for Colorado for me is distance from the ocean. Oh well, can't have everything.

I agree. That is the one big drawback for me too.

Quoting kiwiinoz (Reply 13):
San Francisco

I love San Francisco, but it's definitely not a livable city in which to live a normal life. It's far too expensive for that.

Quoting ual747den (Reply 31):
No it doesn't. This is a big colllege town however if you travel an hour North you would be correct.

Oh Wyoming...

Quoting desertjets (Reply 35):
Back to the OP I think much of the front range of Colorado fits that bill well.

Quoting desertjets (Reply 35):
I haven't made it up to Fort Collins, but certain parts of the Denver metro have a lot of appeal to me.

I have several friends from Ft. Collins, and several friends who attended CSU, and they all have good things to say.

Confuscius

Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:04 am

Pahrump, NV USA

Mountains, desert and ...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/b/ba/Pahrump,_NV.JPG/1280px-Pahrump,_NV.JPG
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/85/Chicken_Ranch_sign.JPG

RyanairGuru

Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:06 am

Quoting OA412 (Reply 43):
I agree. That is the one big drawback for me too

That's my biggest issue with Canberra, which is where I live and which allrite nominated in reply 2. I think that it's definitely worthy of being on the list, but the 3 hour drive to the beach is an anathema to most Australians 

OA412

Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:17 am

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 45):
That's my biggest issue with Canberra, which is where I live and which allrite nominated in reply 2. I think that it's definitely worthy of being on the list, but the 3 hour drive to the beach is an anathema to most Australians

Cry me a river. Try having to drive 15 hours.  

Superfly

Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:02 am

Quoting CXB77L (Reply 38):
Vancouver. Currently my favourite city in the world.

I love Vancouver, BC too. It used to be one of my favorite cities as well. The high cost also ruled out Vancouver.

Quoting fridgmus (Reply 39):
Eddy and I in the Australian Alps, Victoria

Looks like beautiful country down there. I hope to get there someday soon.

Quoting johns624 (Reply 40):
I agree. Marquette, MI is similar, but on a smaller scale. If you like the outdoors, and four seasons, they're perfect.

I learned to ski as a kid up there many, many years ago.

Quoting dtw9 (Reply 41):

The winter is part of the appeal.

Quoting OA412 (Reply 43):
I love San Francisco, but it's definitely not a livable city in which to live a normal life. It's far too expensive for that.

So true. I lived there 15 years and moved away 3 years ago. I've been hearing that it's become much worse in terms of cost of living. People are spending well over $1000 per month to live in converted garage space an living rooms in shared rentals with other people. That is insane.

Quoting Confuscius (Reply 44):
Pahrump, NV USA

I can see you in Pa-Rump!  

RyanairGuru

Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:19 am

Quoting Confuscius (Reply 44):
Pahrump

Dammit, I knew that I had missed something when I passed through that way   

I presume you were being sarcastic, but IIRC Pahrump was a s***hole

Quoting OA412 (Reply 46):
Cry me a river. Try having to drive 15 hours

I was somewhat joking. My situation is no way comparable to Colorado, I know that  

AyostoLeon

Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:48 am

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 48):
was somewhat joking. My situation is no way comparable to Colorado

Hey, you can always move to Alice and call it quits.