Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Airstud

RE: Stiffing A Waiter - Cuz He's Gay

Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:17 am

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 99):
Do you honestly think this couple thought the waiter would stop being gay

I think the couple, idiots that they obviously are, thought they were "helping" the waiter to stop being gay so he could get into heaven.

Really, let's not make the mistake of underestimating this couple's ignorance and nincompoopery.
Pancakes are delicious.

EA CO AS

Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:02 pm

Quoting Airstud (Reply 100):
Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 99):Do you honestly think this couple thought the waiter would stop being gay
I think the couple, idiots that they obviously are, thought they were "helping" the waiter to stop being gay so he could get into heaven.

I don't for a moment agree with them, and you're right that they probably thought they were "helping" him in their own twisted way.

But calling the withholding of a tip based on sexual orientation "blackmail" is pretty silly.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

Molykote

Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:15 pm

Quoting SmittyOne (Reply 92):
Just so you know, waiters are guaranteed to receive from their employer at least the Federal Minimum Wage, regardless of tips. Which I agree is next to nothing, but the reality is that tips give them the potential to make more than that minimum.
Quoting DocLightning (Reply 95):
I was under the impression that the Minimum Wage did not apply to waiters.

Well I have no real interest in religion, but I just had this discussion a week ago.
I am sure it varies by location, but this is a far summary of how it works in my area...

- They are paid less than the normal minimum wage under the presumption that tips (when factored into compensation) will meet or exceed the existing minimum wage.

- If some interval (pay period?) passed in which a server received no tips his/her employer would pay the difference between the "waitstaff minumum wage" and the "normal minimum wage". Obviously "no tips" is an extreme example, but this concept would apply if tips were such that they did not elevate the hourly compensation to that of the prevailing minimum wage.

Essentially waitstaff have a guaranteed minimum wage the same as everyone else. They obviously have the potential to far exceed this amount with tips. When someone in the service industry is complaining because they "make nothing after taxes" it usually means that their hourly compensation is not adequate to cover the taxes due on their tips (and that's only accounting for the tips that they reported on their taxes - which generally excludes cash tips in my experience). Obviously you can do the math, but such taxes would generally be indicative of compensation well in excess of the normal minimum wage.

In terms of pure numbers many servers have very good earning potential (especially accounting for the education/experience required). Many who complain about money in this context don't understand the system under which they are compensated or are being misleading to perpetuate the "plight of the server" story that seems all so common. They make it sound as if they'd prefer the European model of compensation (which I as a customer actually like - especially in a British pub context), but I doubt anyone depending on the job would give up the US tip model... especially considering the taxes that they evade.

For what it's worth, my wife worked as a bartender and server for a long time and still does a few times per year to keep some fringe benefits associated with the employer. I have nothing against waitstaff (and they can improve an experience tremendously). I just don't like complaining... especially when it's done (in my opinion) deceitfully.
Speedtape - The aspirin of aviation!

Kiwirob

Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:32 pm

Quoting Pellegrine (Reply 98):
I don't really get all this god argument. So what if he was obviously gay?

Neither do I.

Which makes me wonder that for those that are gay, it's not something you can stop being, (unlike vegitarians, I dislike them, you can start eating meat) but if you could and had the choice would a gay person prefer to be straight? I can see far more benefits being straight than gay.

mariner
Topic Author

Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:39 am

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 97):
Come on Mariner you know very well that some gay men stick out like bollocks on a bulldog, he was probably one of those.

I don't know that and I have made some serious mistakes making that assumption.

More to the point, I lived in Lawrence, Kansas for a year, and I never saw anyone who stuck out like dog's bollocks - and, believe me, I was looking.

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 101):
But calling the withholding of a tip based on sexual orientation "blackmail" is pretty silly.

You and I have a very different view on this whole matter. You seem to think the whole "anti-fag" crowd are just a few batty uncles.

I think that's fairly insulting to many people with sincerely-held Christian views. I may not agree with what they believe, but I respect their right to believe it.

mariner
aeternum nauta

seb146

Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:56 am

Quoting mariner (Reply 104):
I lived in Lawrence, Kansas for a year, and I never saw anyone who stuck out like dog's bollocks - and, believe me, I was looking.

We were in Salt Lake City this summer and there were MANY we could SWEAR were poofers! But, since we don't care what adults do when the doors are locked and shades pulled, we didn't care. They were doing their job and doing it well. That was all we cared about! I would rather go someplace that has good food than care what the wait staff does on their own time.

What would these people do if they went to Beach Blanket Babylon?
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

mariner
Topic Author

Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:07 am

Quoting seb146 (Reply 105):
We were in Salt Lake City this summer and there were MANY we could SWEAR were poofers!

Or any classical ballet company - and often they are not.  

mariner
aeternum nauta

seb146

Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:18 am

Quoting mariner (Reply 106):

We went to Priscilla in August. They were at a theater on Market St. We went to a bistro on Castro after for dinner. Were any of the actors gay or straight? We didn't care. Were any of the wait staff gay or straight? We didn't care. I had a really good turkey burger after seeing a really great play. What do we care what any one else does with other adults after word?

smittyone

Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:42 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 95):
I was under the impression that the Minimum Wage did not apply to waiters.

Hey Doc - sorry for the delayed response, but as Molykote aptly described servers are guaranteed at least the federal minimum wage, at least according to the Dept of Labor website.

http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/whdfs15.pdf

And as for the topic, if this really did happen it's a perfect example of how the self-perception of righteousness can be a very ugly thing indeed.

Kiwirob

Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:23 pm

Quoting mariner (Reply 106):

Or any airline flight attendant - and more often than not they are. As the saying goes if it looks like a fish and smalls like a fish it's probably a fish.

mariner
Topic Author

Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:16 pm

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 109):
Or any airline flight attendant - and more often than not they are. As the saying goes if it looks like a fish and smalls like a fish it's probably a fish.

As the other saying goes - never judge a book by its covers.

I;ve met many men, many, who looked straight, married even, fathers even, and to my surprise - and sometimes my pleasure - they were anything but.

mariner
aeternum nauta

sccutler

Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:33 pm

Quoting mariner (Thread starter):

And isn't there something about "judge not lest ye be judged"?

Indeed. The penurious diners have been judged - and found wanting!

Quoting luv2fly (Reply 2):
The moral majority tends not to be either.

Without regard for their claims, their behavior defines them.

If they were so egregiously offended by the waiter (for whatever reason), they should have opted not to be served by him. In a well-run restaurant, that *should* yield them the opportunity to dine with another establishment (because a good manager would thank them for their frank and honest expression of their views, and tell them that their business was not welcome).

To remain at the table, receive the service delivered, and choose not to pay a tip - that's tantamount to stealing, because the gratuity for good service is an expected part of the compensation.

Lastly, I am sad for these people - sad for the losses of friendship and rich experiences that surely must result from their irrational biases.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

seb146

Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:52 pm

Quoting sccutler (Reply 111):
To remain at the table, receive the service delivered, and choose not to pay a tip - that's tantamount to stealing, because the gratuity for good service is an expected part of the compensation.

No. Stealing would be simply walking out without paying. Tipping is optional. I work in a restaurant where sometimes I get tips and sometimes I don't. If they don't tip, I don't get offended. I actually don't care. It is nice when they do and I thank them for it, but it is an option.

Quoting sccutler (Reply 111):
If they were so egregiously offended by the waiter (for whatever reason), they should have opted not to be served by him. In a well-run restaurant, that *should* yield them the opportunity to dine with another establishment (because a good manager would thank them for their frank and honest expression of their views, and tell them that their business was not welcome).

Yes. There are people who refuse to come into the restaurant where I work for any number of reasons. They have issues with one of the wait staff or with the company itself or with the property owner or, they simply don't like our food. If someone goes out of their way to say it is me, personally, the reason they don't eat there, that is something I can't fix or help.

DocLightning

Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:37 am

Quoting seb146 (Reply 112):
No. Stealing would be simply walking out without paying. Tipping is optional. I work in a restaurant where sometimes I get tips and sometimes I don't. If they don't tip, I don't get offended. I actually don't care. It is nice when they do and I thank them for it, but it is an option.

In the USA, tipping is customary for table service and it is generally considered an act of extreme rudeness to fail to tip. Even if I receive absolutely lousy service, I will leave a tip of a few cents as a "no, I didn't forget" token (I've only ever done this once...and you would have, too).

So what these people are saying is that they are intentionally choosing not to tip when they otherwise would have and that it wasn't because of inferior service. Now that, folks, is extremely rude.

So if your religion tells you to be rude, spiteful, mean, harmful, cruel, or physically violent towards someone who has not wronged you in any way, then your religion is deeply flawed and you are a dangerous and evil person for following it. Let nobody tell me that I have no morals.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Airstud

Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:41 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 113):
Let nobody tell me that I have no morals.

Can't think of an instance in these forums when anyone told you that, Doc.

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 113):
So if your religion tells you to be rude, spiteful, mean, harmful, cruel, or physically violent towards someone who has not wronged you in any way, then your religion is deeply flawed

The staggering majority of religions tell their followers to do the exact opposite of what you describe.

Religions also have their share of deeply flawed followers.

Did a millennia-old collective ideological and philosphical abstraction grab a pen and write a note to the waiter?
Pancakes are delicious.

DocLightning

Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:00 am

Quoting Airstud (Reply 114):
Can't think of an instance in these forums when anyone told you that, Doc.

Back when it was fashionable to say such things, I got told that because I'm gay.

The staggering majority of religions tell their followers to do the exact opposite of what you describe.

Then why do so many people use religion to justify such behaviors?
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Airstud

Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:25 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 115):
Then why do so many people use religion to justify such behaviors?

Because they are rude, spiteful, mean, harmful, cruel, resounding, reverberating jerkwads who would engage in such behavior anyway. If religion weren't handy, such jerkwads would use something else to rationalize their hate.
Pancakes are delicious.

seb146

Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:11 am

Did a millennia-old collective ideological and philosphical abstraction grab a pen and write a note to the waiter?

a millennia-old collective of ideological and philosophical abstraction have written laws in this country that two consenting adults can not sign a state issued contract. People are under the false assumption that American law is based on a Christian bible. We keep hearing these cries about Christianity and the Constitution but I see no where this is the case.

Airstud

Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:59 am

Quoting seb146 (Reply 117):
a millennia-old collective of ideological and philosophical abstraction have written laws in this country

Yeah no.

Elected legislators are who have written laws in this country.

See.
Pancakes are delicious.

soon7x7

Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:11 pm

"Thank you for your service, it was excellent. That being said, we cannot in good conscience tip you, for your homosexual lifestyle is an affront to GOD. Fags do not share in the wealth of GOD, and you will not share in ours," the note reads. "We hope you will see the tip your faggot choices made you lose out on, and plan accordingly. It is never too late for GOD’s love, but none shall be spared for fags. May GOD have mercy on you."

Hmm now!...Well they certainly fell short of spreading Gods Love...It is also Christian to forgive if one becomes so offended, not to domonstrate the "Hollier than thou" attitude. Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out! (Cheap wanna-be Christians)

seb146

Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:43 pm

Quoting Airstud (Reply 118):
Elected legislators are who have written laws in this country.

Based on their warped and twisted view of their warped and twisted holy book. I was referring to DOMA and the individual states who deny certain rights to a certain class of adults.

And now we have Tom DeLay telling everyone the Constitution was written by God himself.

http://www.theeverlastinggopstoppers...om-delay-god-created-constitution/

And, because we are referring to Biblical law, can someone point out to this bacon obsessed nation that bacon is against God's law?

rwy04lga

Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:44 pm

nincompoopery.

I love learning a new word! Thanks for that!

Quoting seb146 (Reply 120):
And now we have Tom DeLay telling everyone the Constitution was written by God himself.

http://www.theeverlastinggopstoppers...tion/

It's scary that there are people that actually believe this crap.

Wasn't the Constitution and the government supposed to be based on the separation of church and state? Wasn't a country led by religious fundamentalists what we were fighting against? Isn't Christian fundamentalism just as bad as Islamic fundamentalism? There is NO PLACE for the church in ANY government!!
Just accept that some days, you're the pigeon, and other days the statue

WarRI1

Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:21 am

Quoting rwy04lga (Reply 121):
There is NO PLACE for the church in ANY government!!

It took me many years to come to that same conclusion. In my youth, all organized religion was in my opinion, rather harmless. What a surprise as we all found out. A radical is a radical, secular, or religious. We certainly do not want them influencing our government, and advocating the denial of rights to anyone, such as the right to (choose) anything.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

sccutler

Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:47 am

Wasn't the Constitution and the government supposed to be based on the separation of church and state?

No. But that is a commonly-held misunderstanding, and not entirely disconnected with the truth.

The issue was that there should be no state-organized religion; the Church of England was, historically, an integral part of British governance.

Wasn't a country led by religious fundamentalists what we were fighting against?

No.

Isn't Christian fundamentalism just as bad as Islamic fundamentalism?

It all depends upon (1) the interpretation of "fundamentalism," and (2) who's deciding what is "bad."

No matter, as whether a religion's precepts are "bad" or not is irrelevant to the question of whether a church or religious entity should, in and of itself, be an actual party to governance under our constitutional system; the answer will always be , "no."

There is NO PLACE for the church in ANY government!!

A church a a constituent part of the governance, I'd have to agree with you, but I am a pretty committed supporter of the US Constitution, so that's no surprise. I would not presume to tell another country or culture how to conduct their affairs of state.

DocLightning

Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:00 am

Quoting Airstud (Reply 116):
Because they are rude, spiteful, mean, harmful, cruel, resounding, reverberating jerkwads who would engage in such behavior anyway. If religion weren't handy, such jerkwads would use something else to rationalize their hate.

Agreed, but I feel as if they get the pass by claiming a religion.

I love learning a new word! Thanks for that!

There's a stronger variant of that word. But this is a family board. I'll let your imagine do the rest.   

Quoting sccutler (Reply 123):
I would not presume to tell another country or culture how to conduct their affairs of state.

I reject that as moral relativism. Would you not oppose the Nazis, then? "It's their country?" Really? If you allow evil to happen and say nothing and do nothing, then how are you not part of that evil?

I think that any claim to authority based on divine provenance is dangerous because there is no counter-argument. The moral compass is broken; it always points north. Disagree with me and you disagree with God. And you don't want to do that, do you?
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

sccutler

Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:10 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 124):
I reject that as moral relativism. Would you not oppose the Nazis, then? "It's their country?" Really? If you allow evil to happen and say nothing and do nothing, then how are you not part of that evil?

OK, you have me there. Doc invokes Hitler for the win! I was trying to be circumspect, so as not to insult participants who find themselves living in a theocracy, and like it.

---

But I still think that, in places where tipping is an established part of the business culture (like the US), it is wrong to withhold a reasonable tip when reasonable service has been rendered.

seb146

Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:32 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 124):
Would you not oppose the Nazis, then? "It's their country?" Really? If you allow evil to happen and say nothing and do nothing, then how are you not part of that evil?

When Germany was rounding up Jews, the United Stated did nothing. When Germany invaded Poland, very little was done. Wrong as Hitler was, the United States did nothing until 1940.

There are atrocities being committed today in Africa and Asia and the United States does nothing. Does that mean the United States is evil because they do nothing? The United States is supposed to be the world police? We can not afford it. Offensive and horrible as those things are, we need to take care of our own problems. We need to show the world that other religions are not the basis for invasion and war.

No. But that is a commonly-held misunderstanding

Read the Jefferson Bible and understand that Franklin was a Freemason. Many of our Founding Fathers practiced non-Christian rituals. As a follow up question: Which Christian church did they follow?

Quoting sccutler (Reply 125):
But I still think that, in places where tipping is an established part of the business culture (like the US), it is wrong to withhold a reasonable tip when reasonable service has been rendered.

Being in an industry where tipping occurs, I will say that the rich will not tip. Period. I deliver to million dollar plus homes and get zero in tips. I deliver to working poor apartments and get $3 to $5 in tips. These people were probably rich and the woman didn't want to be looked down on for not tipping.

johnboy

Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:15 am

Have we heard anything else about this?

I can't find anything else. I reiterate....if they had a credit card receipt and names, you bet your ass I'd be shouting their names to High Heaven (no put intended).

rwy04lga

Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:56 am

Quoting rwy04lga (Reply 121):Wasn't a country led by religious fundamentalists what we were fighting against?
No.

Was not Afghanistan a country led by religious fundamentalists?

Were we not fighting against them?

Airstud

Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:49 am

Quoting rwy04lga (Reply 128):
Was not Afghanistan a country led by religious fundamentalists?

Were we not fighting against them?

We didn't go to war with Afghanistan hst because their government was fundamamentalists; we warred against them because they were harboring terrorists.

I think this thread is heading toward Off-Topicopolis.
Pancakes are delicious.

rwy04lga

Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:25 pm

Quoting Airstud (Reply 129):
We didn't go to war with Afghanistan hst because their government was fundamamentalists; we warred against them because they were harboring terrorists.

I'm not talking about the reasons for going to war. My statement was directed at sccutler....I repeat...

Was not Afghanistan a country led by religious fundamentalists? yes or no?

Were we not fighting against them? yes or no?

The answer to both is 'yes'. sccutler says 'no'.

That's all folks.

sccutler

Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:00 am

Sorry, been out of touch (working).

I did not suggest that Afghanistan was not governed by fundamentalists (it certainly appears to have been).

My "No" was intended to address the "why," not the "who." The war was not started because the government of Afghanistan was comprised of religious fundamentalists; it was because of a presumption that terrorist enemies of our state were being harbored and protected there.

Whether (1) that was correct, and (2) it was good policy, I'll leave to others above my pay grade.

mariner
Topic Author

Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:03 pm

Just as an update, another server, and former Marine, has been stiffed - and left a note - because of her "lifestyle":

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/1...4273801.html?utm_hp_ref=gay-voices

"Dayna Morales, Waitress And Marine, Denied Tip Because Of Her 'Gay Lifestyle'

A waitress in New Jersey who previously served in the Marines received an offensive note from a family who denied her a tip because of her "gay lifestyle." Now, she is speaking out against those very people whose freedom she once defended."

Make of it what you will.

mariner
aeternum nauta

n318ea

Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:24 am

I am in the RCIA program preparing to become Catholic. NOTHING I have learned would allow behavior like this. These two are morons and hardly good Christian in my eyes. Only God will pass judgement.
Red Red Red Red Red Neck!

Kiwirob

Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:13 pm

Quoting seb146 (Reply 126):
There are atrocities being committed today in Africa and Asia and the United States does nothing.

Who cares? No oil not the US's or anyone's else's problem.  
Quoting n318ea (Reply 133):
I am in the RCIA program preparing to become Catholic.

What has this titbit got to do with the topic at hand, are we all supposed to jump up and down and shout hooray Rome sunk there fangs into another one?

Quoting mariner (Reply 132):

"Dayna Morales, Waitress And Marine, Denied Tip Because Of Her 'Gay Lifestyle'

Apart from the tats she's not bad looking either. I'd hit it.

I guess this has become a new way to stiff waiters, not that I would use it as an excuse as I find tipping morally wrong anyway, the employer should pay their employees a liveable wage, I'm sure god (if the prick exists) would agree with me.

casinterest

Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:22 pm

"According to Kansas’ CBS affiliate station KCTV,

Based on this

And isn't there something about "judge not lest ye be judged"?

and the rest of the whole quote that I won't repeat. It would seem that we had a couple of Westboro Baptist Church members trolling the restaurant. Mean spirited and lowly.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did..So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.--Mark Twain

seb146

Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:39 pm

Since it has happened twice (that have been documented so far), I think the next few perceived gay wait staff who get stiffed like this go to these people and simply ask: When did you choose to be straight? Either that or "I don't approve of your heterosexual lifestyle choice and refuse to serve you again."

Kiwirob

Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:24 pm

Quoting seb146 (Reply 136):
Either that or "I don't approve of your heterosexual lifestyle choice and refuse to serve you again."

That would be an easy way to lose your job.

mariner
Topic Author

Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:28 pm

Quoting mariner (Reply 132):
Just as an update, another server, and former Marine, has been stiffed - and left a note - because of her "lifestyle":

At least something a little bit good comes out of this:

http://www.nj.com/somerset/index.ssf...ay_remark_to_wounded_warriors.html

"Waitress who got anti-gay 'tip' gives donations to fellow soldiers

The openly gay restaurant server who caught national attention after a customer left her an apparently anti-gay note instead of a tip has been receiving tips from customers and strangers for days — and plans to donate them to the Wounded Warrior Project."

mariner
aeternum nauta

DeltaMD90

Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:14 pm

Quoting mariner (Reply 139):
Waitress who got anti-gay 'tip' gives donations to fellow soldiers

Oh boy don't say that to her face! She was a marine, not a soldier  

But back on topic, that is very nice of her. Being a waitress, I can't imagine she makes much. She could have easily stayed quiet and taken all the donations yet she's giving them all away. Wonder if the people that didn't tip her would do the same in that situation?   

HOMER71

Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:48 pm

Looks like the waitress's claim is being disputed:

NBC New York - Family Says They Did Tip Gay Server, Didn't Leave Note

Whether this is true or not, it's probably irrelevant: everyone already made up their mind...
"On spaceship earth there are no passengers...only crew."

bgm

Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:56 pm

Quoting mariner (Reply 139):
At least something a little bit good comes out of this:

The drama continues...

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local...Receipt-Discrepancy-233040811.html

DocLightning

Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:01 pm

Quoting homer71 (Reply 142):
Whether this is true or not, it's probably irrelevant: everyone already made up their mind...

At least one of the incidents does seem to be valid. The second one may be in dispute. If it is, then it is shameful that someone would lie in such a way.

That in no way diminishes the point that it is not OK to treat people discourteously because your religion says so.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

N1120A

Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:20 pm

Anyone else notice that this was Kansas, home of Fred Phelps. The message they wrote sounds a lot like the garbage they would spout.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

mariner
Topic Author

Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:48 pm

Quoting homer71 (Reply 142):

If it is true, it deserves to come out. I think it's wrong trying to piggy back off someone else's misfortune.

mariner

[Edited 2013-11-26 10:49:59]
aeternum nauta

Boeing717200

Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:06 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 145):

Must be where the waitress got the idea when she made up her story.

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 144):

It's also not okay to lie about what people did or didn't do:

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow...ave-note-for-server-144714897.html
240 years and the top two candidates are named Dumb and Dumber. Stay classy!

N1120A

Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:59 pm

Quoting Boeing717200 (Reply 147):
Must be where the waitress got the idea when she made up her story.

One story doesn't have anything to do with the other, besides someone being a copycat.

Also, why would the merchant receipt say something different from the customer receipt?
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

Boeing717200

Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:23 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 148):

Pointing out the copy cat was my point. It's unfortunate that people do such things to diminish a legitimate incident. Never mind the 20 posts above about the article I pointed out. I encourage you to read the threads in the future.

On the receipt... You can quickly reprint a receipt and put anything you want to on it. The news clip shows not only a receipt but also the final amount on their credit card bill. They either tipped her and she's lying, or they didn't, wrote the note and someone forged the final bill amount. Which do you think is more likely? It seems unreasonable that a restaraunt would risk a fraud charge, and far more likely that someone would lie for attention.

[Edited 2013-11-26 12:31:07]
240 years and the top two candidates are named Dumb and Dumber. Stay classy!

PhilBy

Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:22 am

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 134):
I guess this has become a new way to stiff waiters, not that I would use it as an excuse as I find tipping morally wrong anyway

Perhaps there is a market for books of pre-printed slips :
" I refuse to tip you because:
a) I disagree with your religion/gender preference
b) I disagree with your choice of hair colour
c) I'm a miser
d) The service was atrocious
(delete as applicable)

Personally I don't consider tipping morally wrong. I consider being expected to tip as a matter of course morally wrong.

Kiwirob

Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:52 am

Quoting Boeing717200 (Reply 149):
You can quickly reprint a receipt and put anything you want to on it. The news clip shows not only a receipt but also the final amount on their credit card bill. They either tipped her and she's lying, or they didn't, wrote the note and someone forged the final bill amount. Which do you think is more likely?

I think someone needs to be fired, disgusting action on behalf of the waitress.