Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Elite
Topic Author

Phone Manufacturers Deliberately Slowing Phones?

Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:46 pm

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/03/ma...ants-to-bust-your-iphone.html?_r=0

What's your initial reaction to the story? Not surprised it happens or do you doubt this story?

Ken777

RE: Phone Manufacturers Deliberately Slowing Phones?

Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:25 pm

I believe that the writer didn't really understand that mobile products like the iPhone and iPad are simpler to the old days int he computer industry where continual increases in power and capacity drove a lot of spending because people wanted the newest out there. The other reality was that developers took advantage of that additional performance & capacity to expand their products - and that called for new computers. (How many people do you know running a blazing fast 286 computer with 128K memory and a 10 Mb HD?)

Apple has clearly been aggressive on the performance side. The new A7 chip is a 64 bit chip. That's fast approaching desktop performance in a mobile phone. And developers have produced close to a billion apps for that product - and the list continues to grow. Pretty impressive IMO.

srbmod

Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:53 pm

I don't think manufacturers are deliberately slowing phones, as even desktop computers and laptops start to slow as they get older and operating systems get EOL'd. I have a second generation iPod Touch and a lot of the apps on it are out of date because they cannot be updated further because the device OS cannot be upgraded any further. The newest version of some of the apps that are on it run very sluggishly as a result Planned obsolescence is always going to be there, as companies will stop supporting/updating older builds of a current OS or stop supporting a prior generation OS at some point. While there will be a segment of users that may still be using an older OS, the majority have long since upgraded to newer generations. In some rare cases, the EOL date gets extended quite a bit, case in point, Windows XP, which saw new life with the early generation of netbooks and Microsoft had to shelve their original EOL date as a result.

KaiGywer

Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:38 pm

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 1):
(How many people do you know running a blazing fast 286 computer with 128K memory and a 10 Mb HD?)

My first computer was a 486 SX 16   Then I was so sad when my friend got a 386 DX 33 that was faster than mine  
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

RussianJet

Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:25 am

Well, I know for sure that Samsung together with my network carrier loaded the S3 with so much crap that a fresh Android install after rooting made the device about 20% faster.
✈ Every strike of the hammer is a blow against the enemy. ✈

KaiGywer

Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:29 am

My iPhone 5 was recently replaced through Best Buy's Geek squad protection plan. My new phone has its moments when it gets ridiculously slow and laggy and the screen is unresponsive for several seconds...this never happened to my old phone (prior to it meeting the asphalt at a high rate of speed...)
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

PHX787

Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:00 pm

Maybe it's not the manufacturer, but here in Japan if you use your mobile wifi more than 7G per month they slow it the hell down beyond belief :/
Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/phx787

Elite
Topic Author

Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:30 pm

Quoting PHX787 (Reply 6):
Maybe it's not the manufacturer, but here in Japan if you use your mobile wifi more than 7G per month they slow it the hell down beyond belief :/

That's actually common practice, and it doesn't slow down the mobile phone itself (which is what the article is referring to) but rather the data speed.

vlad135

Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:34 pm

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 5):
My iPhone 5 was recently replaced through Best Buy's Geek squad protection plan. My new phone has its moments when it gets ridiculously slow and laggy and the screen is unresponsive for several seconds...this never happened to my old phone (prior to it meeting the asphalt at a high rate of speed...)

Try to restore your iPhone as a new phone. When I first updated my iPhone 5 to iOS7, it would get laggy/glitchy when doing certain things. After restoring as a new phone, it was good as new.

Rara

Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:58 pm

Quoting elite (Thread starter):
What's your initial reaction to the story? Not surprised it happens or do you doubt this story?

As usual, there is little evidence for actual planned obsolescence. It's well-known that mobile phones are designed for a two-year life cycle. One can object to that. But it's hard to prove that manufacturers actively try to dimish their products' usefulness after two years.
Samson was a biblical tough guy, but his dad Samsonite was even more of a hard case.

johns624

Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:19 am

No, my old flip phone receives and sends phone calls as fast as ever. Isn't that what a phone is for?

RussianJet

Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:45 pm

Quoting johns624 (Reply 10):
Isn't that what a phone is for?

It used to be. Now it's for those things, but also email, internet browsing, instant messaging, game playing, video calling, music playing, video playing and photographing and videoing stuff.

Next question.
✈ Every strike of the hammer is a blow against the enemy. ✈

cptkrell

Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:06 pm

[quote=KaiGywer,reply=5] My new phone has its moments when it gets ridiculously slow and laggy and the screen is unresponsive for several seconds...this never happened to my old phone (prior to it meeting the asphalt at a high rate of speed...)[/quot

As a police officer, you should know you ain't supposed to be using a phone while driving! :0  
best regards...jack
all best; jack

rfields5421

Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:15 am

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 1):
(How many people do you know running a blazing fast 286 computer with 128K memory and a 10 Mb HD?)

Or paying $895 for that 10MB hard drive for a 8088 computer.

I skipped the 286 for a 386SX.
Not all who wander are lost.

casinterest

Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:01 am

Quoting elite (Thread starter):
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/03/ma...ants-to-bust-your-iphone.html?_r=0

The author of the article is technologically illiterate. Cell phones are brutally used and treated. Plus, the parts on the inside are much weaker since lead was banned from the circuit boards. The lead was used to keep solder joints stable. Substitutes have been found, but they are not as good as lead from keeping the solder from stretching out over time.

The batteries have a finite lifetime of charges. The incredible use smart phones receive and the inadequate charging cycles imposed limits their life.

Software gets more complex, and more demands are put on it. The 64 bit processors are going to cause a lot of obsoleteness in the coming 2 years.
At the end of the day , when folks have to pay 75 bucks for a new battery, or 150 for new glass, they usually are at the point in their contract where it is time to just upgrade.
Where ever you go, there you are.

KaiGywer

Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:28 pm

Quoting cptkrell (Reply 12):
As a police officer, you should know you ain't supposed to be using a phone while driving! :0

Haha, the vehicle was stationary, but, it was an SUV and I had the phone on the armrest in the door. Forgot about it when I opened the door and down it went at the speed of gracvity