Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

casinterest
Topic Author

Beer Check

Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:31 am

Hey all !
Fun thread.
What's your latest and greatest beer you are drinking.

Just had a Heavy Seas Brewery--Peg Leg:Imperial stout. Great Beer. Smooth , and yet knocks you back a step or two at 8%

http://www.hsbeer.com/#

Any great ones I am missing?
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did..So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.--Mark Twain

srbmod

RE: Beer Check

Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:59 am

Terrapin Moo Hoo Chocolate Milk Stout

http://terrapinbeer.com/brew/seasonal-sessions/moo-hoo/

Terrapin as part of their new Reserve Series, did a white chocolate version, that sold out quite quickly. We have an ice cream company here in Atlanta called Frozen Pints that just came out with a Mint Chocolate Moo Hoo flavor which uses Terrapin's Moo Hoo in the mix (This is Frozen Pints' first collaboration with a brewery, as their other flavors use beer that they brew themselves.).

Stone's collaboration with 10 Barrel and Bluejacket, Suede Imperial Porter is really good.

http://www.stonebrew.com/collab/suede/

Ballast Point recently started distributing here in the Atlanta area, but we have wait until early next year before they start shipping their Sculpin IPA, which is highly ranked on RateBeer and Beer Advocate (But not so much on Untappd.). Their Bigeye IPA is good, but Sculpin is excellent. Ballast Point has a curry beer called Indra Kunindra that is quite unique. I tried it at a beer festival in Las Vegas back in October.

Now probably the oddest beer I've tried was a test beer one of our local breweries (Burnt Hickory Brewing) did in which they added rum and melted candy corns to the beer. Burnt Hickory is a nanobrewery and their beers are tough to find (and impossible to get on my side of town) . They have a Belgian Quad called Charred Walls Of The Damned that is awesome (I had some from a rare bottle of it, as the guy who owns the brewery said they only bottled several dozen of the most recent batch [with the rest of the batch rolling out in a limited number of kegs or put into casks for future projects].). About the only time I get to try their beers are at beer festivals.

casinterest
Topic Author

Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:31 am

Quoting srbmod (Reply 1):
did a white chocolate version, that sold out quite quickly. We have an ice cream company here in Atlanta called Frozen Pints that just came out with a Mint Chocolate Moo Hoo flavor which uses Terrapin's Moo Hoo in the mix (This is Frozen Pints' first collaboration with a brewery

Well this sounds good. But hell on my new found diet.

did in which they added rum and melted candy corns to the beer. Burnt Hickory is a nanobrewery and their beers are tough to find (and impossible to get on my side of town) . They

I had one last year from another brewery around Raleigh ( Roth ....I think) where they really overdid the nutmeg and Christmas spices. Aggghhhhh
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did..So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.--Mark Twain

Tugger

Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:31 am

Ballast Point recently started distributing here in the Atlanta area, but we have wait until early next year before they start shipping their Sculpin IPA, which is highly ranked on RateBeer and Beer Advocate (But not so much on Untappd.). Their Bigeye IPA is good, but Sculpin is excellent.

Sculpin is my favorite beer at this time. I love good hoppy IPA's and like plenty of others that I have tried but Sculpin is consistently excellent and smooth!

San Diego is incredibly lucky when it comes to beers. In fact I have found that I have become somewhat of a beer snob when I am elsewhere because I suddenly do not have dozens of excellent beers to choose from. I often find myself stuck with a few "national" brews or a single local selection (not knocking other locals beers, I enjoy the differences and trying them, just that here I have a ton to choose from). Oh the horror!  

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

casinterest
Topic Author

Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:36 am

Quoting tugger (Reply 3):
Sculpin is my favorite beer at this time. I love good hoppy IPA's and like plenty of others that I have tried but Sculpin is consistently excellent and smooth!

Have you had Hoppyium ? Great IPA.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/11036/27571

WestJet747

Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:39 am

Currently enjoying a Steam Whistle Pilsener as I type this after a s*** day at work. It's a simple pilsener that's done very, very well. For anyone that finds themselves in Toronto, I highly recommend taking the tour offered at the Steam Whistle Brewery.

http://www.steamwhistle.ca

As far as imported beers go, I've found myself frequently ordering/buying Innis & Gunn Original lately. I know it's not some secret microbrew, but I love a beer with a good oaky finish, and this one is widely available here.

http://www.innisandgunn.com
Flying refined.

Alias1024

Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:54 am

North Coast Brewing - Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout. Delicious. Dark and smooth but with a nice hoppy kick.

9% ABV. One bottle is enough for me.

[Edited 2013-12-05 18:56:09]
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems with just potatoes.

DeltaMD90

Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:55 am

Quoting Alias1024 (Reply 6):
Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout

Lol never met anyone that knew that beer. Hits you hard  

I'm drinking a Miller High Life now... because I'm cheap...

Alias1024

Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:58 am

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 7):
Quoting Alias1024 (Reply 6):
Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout

Lol never met anyone that knew that beer. Hits you hard

Yes it does. One nice thing about living in NorCal is all the great brews up here. Russian River, Bear Republic, Lagunitas, North Coast, Lost Coast. Can't go wrong.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems with just potatoes.

WildcatYXU

Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:13 am

Well, I try to stick to our own brands. So I've had some Alexander Keith's Galaxy Hop Ale, Stella Artois and Spaten.
223, 310, 319, 320, 321, 321N, 332, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 7M8, 739, 744, 752, 753, 762, 763, 77E, 77L, 77W, 788, 789, AT4, AT7, BEH, C402, CR2, CRA, CR7, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E45, E70, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, MD82, Saab 340, YAK40

casinterest
Topic Author

Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:21 am

there has been a great disturbance In the force.. .

I still like miller light on a hot day  
Quoting WildcatYXU (Reply 9):
Alexander Keith's Galaxy Hop Ale

Tell me more about this one. The name is quite intriguing.

WestJet747

Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:39 am

Quoting WildcatYXU (Reply 9):
Alexander Keith's Galaxy Hop Ale

Perhaps you meant Alexander Keith's Cascade Hop Ale?  http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/6994/91797/?ba=biegaman
Flying refined.

seb146

Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:55 am

San Diego is incredibly lucky when it comes to beers. In fact I have found that I have become somewhat of a beer snob when I am elsewhere because I suddenly do not have dozens of excellent beers to choose from.
Quoting Alias1024 (Reply 8):
One nice thing about living in NorCal is all the great brews up here. Russian River, Bear Republic, Lagunitas, North Coast, Lost Coast.

I think it is the three west coast states. Oregon and Washington have some pretty good beers, also. Widmer is probably the best known from Oregon. I know what you mean, Tugger, about being a beer snob. When we went to SLC and SEA this summer, every stop we made for the night, I tried to find something other than national swill. Didn't find any until we got back to Washington.

Side note, I tried strawberry flavored shine in Seattle. Surprisingly smooth.

My favorite right now is Anchor Steam.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

casinterest
Topic Author

Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:12 am

Quoting seb146 (Reply 12):

My favorite right now is Anchor Steam.Life in the wall is a dr

Not a bad choice. Has it gotten better over the last 10 years?

WildcatYXU

Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:41 am

Quoting casinterest (Reply 10):
Tell me more about this one. The name is quite intriguing.

The Galaxy Hop Ale is a new member of the of the Alexander Keith's Hop Series. These are all malt single hop ales. After the Hallertauer and Cascade, this time it's the Australian Galaxy hop. IBU's are a little bit lower compared to the Hallertauer and Cascade, but it's a well balanced and drinkable ale.

Quoting WestJet747 (Reply 11):
Perhaps you meant Alexander Keith's Cascade Hop Ale?

No, it wasn't Cascade. I'm jumping the gun a little bit (hopefully won't get fired for it), as the product was only packaged to retail packages (tall boy cans) this week. So it should show up in your friendly neighbourhood beer store in next couple of weeks. What i had were taste panel samples.
BTW, they stopped racking Cascade and replaced it with Hallertauer. I can tell you, draught Hallertauer isn't bad at all. Quite the contrary.
223, 310, 319, 320, 321, 321N, 332, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 7M8, 739, 744, 752, 753, 762, 763, 77E, 77L, 77W, 788, 789, AT4, AT7, BEH, C402, CR2, CRA, CR7, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E45, E70, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, MD82, Saab 340, YAK40

airportugal310

Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:11 am

Not a big beer drinker, but when I do it's usually a sixer of Kona Longboard or Wailua Ale

When in Japan, it's nothing but Super Dry Asahi for me  
“They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.”

seb146

Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:55 am

Quoting casinterest (Reply 13):
Quoting seb146 (Reply 12):
My favorite right now is Anchor Steam.Life in the wall is a dr

Not a bad choice. Has it gotten better over the last 10 years?

I don't know. I just started drinking in the past three years.

I did have a chance to taste an ale aged in bourbon barrels. I don't remember what it was called but it was nasty!

airportugal310

Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:01 am

Quoting seb146 (Reply 16):

Probably tasted something close to a 'boilermaker'?

If so, I might agree that wouldn't be all that awesome for a beer but its purely a guess
“They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.”

seb146

Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:19 am

Quoting airportugal310 (Reply 17):
Probably tasted something close to a 'boilermaker'?

If so, I might agree that wouldn't be all that awesome for a beer but its purely a guess

Boilermaker tastes better. At least with a boilermaker, you can limit the ratio!

jetblueguy22

Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:48 am

Better than the crap they drink at my university! Keystone and Natural Light   . I guess the price is right, but I'd rather enjoy what I'm drinking. Not have something they would have thrown away in the past.

I'm a simple guy so most of my experience is with the national beers. Coors Light and Bud Light have been my go to in college. But lately I've found myself drinking Rolling Rock, Grain Belt, and Blue Moon. I guess still big names. Grain Belt is a good midwest beer. My roommate and I have enjoyed several cases of that over the last couple of weeks. I guess I have to start broadening my horizons though. Not sure if that can be done in North Dakota! I wish we had some craft brews to give a try.
Pat
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

srbmod

Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:24 am

San Diego is incredibly lucky when it comes to beers.

Between Stone, Green Flash and Ballast Point, they've got it good.

I've become such a hophead, that beers a few years ago were too hoppy (stuff around 40 IBUs) aren't hoppy enough.

Quoting Alias1024 (Reply 8):
Yes it does. One nice thing about living in NorCal is all the great brews up here. Russian River, Bear Republic, Lagunitas, North Coast, Lost Coast. Can't go wrong.

I'm dying to try Pliny The Elder, but my California connections come up dry because whenever a store where they live gets it, it's gone in a flash and places often limit the number of them you can buy. This is something that happens in places where Bell's Hopslam is sold.

Quoting WestJet747 (Reply 5):
As far as imported beers go, I've found myself frequently ordering/buying Innis & Gunn Original lately. I know it's not some secret microbrew, but I love a beer with a good oaky finish, and this one is widely available here.

Tried one of their new ones, Oloroso Cask, the other day. Like the others, excellent. My favorite of theirs is the Spiced Rum Finish.

varigb707

Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:44 pm

Quoting casinterest (Thread starter):

Any great ones I am missing?

"ummm, beer. Now there's a temporary solution..."

First, I said 'hey' and then I said 'now'. "Hey Now!" - Hank K.

srbmod

Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:44 pm

Quoting varigb707 (Reply 21):

Better than Fudd, that stuff blinded all those hillbillies....

According to the Simpsons, this is the recipe for Guinness:

DeltaMD90

Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:48 pm

Quoting jetblueguy22 (Reply 19):
Better than the crap they drink at my university! Keystone and Natural Light

Lol Keystone... definitely a beer made for beer pong and not much else...

slider

Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:57 pm

Ballast Point recently started distributing here in the Atlanta area, but we have wait until early next year before they start shipping their Sculpin IPA, which is highly ranked on RateBeer and Beer Advocate (But not so much on Untappd.). Their Bigeye IPA is good, but Sculpin is excellent. Ballast Point has a curry beer called Indra Kunindra that is quite unique. I tried it at a beer festival in Las Vegas back in October.

San Diego is incredibly lucky when it comes to beers. In fact I have found that I have become somewhat of a beer snob when I am elsewhere because I suddenly do not have dozens of excellent beers to choose from. I often find myself stuck with a few "national" brews or a single local selection (not knocking other locals beers, I enjoy the differences and trying them, just that here I have a ton to choose from). Oh the horror!

I LOVE Ballast Point. So glad they started distributing nationally. Sculpin is probably my #1 IPA and has been for a while. So absolutely perfect. SAN has an awesome beer scene.

If you get a chance to tour Stone, do it, you won't be disappointed.

tommy767

Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:20 pm

I'm pretty brand loyal to craft beer. I stay with: Great Divide, Dogfishhead, Stone, Epic, Uinta, Terrapin, Victory, Founders etc.

Being in LA, the big hype is the local brewing scene that is up and coming out here. Now in grocery stores you will find Golden Road, Angel City, and Eagle Rock brewing companies. IMHO, they aren't as good as say Stone but it's nice that LA is finally starting to come up from a craft brewing standpoint.

Although me and a buddy 2 nights ago had the Stone Double Bastard (11.2%) and Great Divide Yeti (9.5%). He never had the Yeti before but Great Divide is one my favorites so he finally bought a bottle of it. He was blown away. If you can ever visit the factory in Downtown Denver, do yourself a favor and do it!
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

sw733

Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:58 pm

I'll be polishing off my 750 of Goose Island Matilda that I brought back from Chicago when I was there for Thanksgiving last week. That stuff is absolutely delicious.

srbmod

Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:58 pm

Quoting sw733 (Reply 26):

With Goose Island now owned by A-B InBev and having national distribution as a result, you shouldn't have to resort to bootlegging. Any beer store worth its' salt will have it. Matilda, Pepe Nero and Sofie are the only Goose Island beers that I liked. Their regular lineup (312, Honkers, and IPA) just didn't stand up to the hype I had heard. Their Bourbon County series is among those beers I'm really wanting to try.

DeltaMD90

Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:29 pm

Andddd another Miller High Life! Trolling the thread with mediocre beer!

WestJet747

Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:06 am

Quoting WildcatYXU (Reply 14):
No, it wasn't Cascade. I'm jumping the gun a little bit (hopefully won't get fired for it), as the product was only packaged to retail packages (tall boy cans) this week. So it should show up in your friendly neighbourhood beer store in next couple of weeks. What i had were taste panel samples.
BTW, they stopped racking Cascade and replaced it with Hallertauer. I can tell you, draught Hallertauer isn't bad at all. Quite the contrary.

Well then! First I'm hearing of this new brew. I've only tried the Cascade once and didn't mind it, but I'll make sure to give the Galaxy and Hallertauer a shot if you're willing to vouch for it on here.

Better than the crap they drink at my university! Keystone and Natural Light . I guess the price is right, but I'd rather enjoy what I'm drinking. Not have something they would have thrown away in the past.

Add PBR to that list. But we both know that guys in university don't drink beer so much as they chug it, so the likes of Keystone, Natty Light, and PBR are perfectly acceptable (it would be a shame to waste a quality beer on beer pong or flipcup).

Rolling Rock

Easily my favourite "mass produced" beer coming out of the States right now.

Quoting srbmod (Reply 20):
Tried one of their new ones, Oloroso Cask, the other day. Like the others, excellent. My favorite of theirs is the Spiced Rum Finish.

Unfortunately the local dispensaries only carry Original, but I've done some reading on the others and they sound mighty tasty. I'll definitely be keeping my eye out for them.

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 28):
Andddd another Miller High Life! Trolling the thread with mediocre beer!

Speaking of mediocrity, I just poured myself a Canadian Club. Maybe I should start another scotch/whiskey thread   
Flying refined.

bristolflyer

Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:41 am

Mountain Livin' Pale Ale from Eagle, Colorado. Upslope Pale Ale is good as well.
Fortune favours the brave

L0VE2FLY

Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:53 am

Quoting srbmod (Reply 22):
According to the Simpsons, this is the recipe for Guinness:

That explains its disgusting taste. Guinness is the nastiest beer I've ever had!      

srbmod

Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:27 pm

Quoting L0VE2FLY (Reply 31):
That explains its disgusting taste. Guinness is the nastiest beer I've ever had!

It's one of those beers that the first time you try it, you either love it or you hate it. I fell on the love it side, although I don't drink it as much as I used to because there are much better stouts on the market. For many years, Guinness was pretty much the only stout you could find in most stores, but if you were lucky, they might have Mackeson and/or Sam Smith. As the micro/craft beer segment got bigger, more stouts and porters ended up on the market as these new breweries brewed ales as opposed to lagers and pilsners (Which have been the predominant beer style in the US since even before Prohibition as the wave of immigration from the German Empire and the Austro-Hungarian Empire in the post Civil War era brought those styles over and quickly overtook ales. The development of refrigerated rail cars allowed breweries like Anheuser Busch to market their beers beyond the town their brewery was located.). Some craft brewers only brew their stouts/porters seasonally as a winter warmer type of beer, while others offer a year round stout/porter and some have a year-round stout plus a series of seasonal stouts (Southern Tier's Blackwater series is one such example.).

wingman

Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:51 pm

Pliny when I can find it, Sculpin, and Citra or Hoptologist from Knee Deep up in Lincoln, CA. That's my California Hop Head Triangle. But daily drinker these days is Lagunitas IPA. Safeway has cases going for about $28, hard to beat.

And then when traveling back to Chicago I love to get my fix of Three Floyds Aplha King and Zombie Dust (yuuumee)

jetblueguy22

Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:31 pm

Quoting WestJet747 (Reply 29):
Add PBR to that list. But we both know that guys in university don't drink beer so much as they chug it, so the likes of Keystone, Natty Light, and PBR are perfectly acceptable (it would be a shame to waste a quality beer on beer pong or flipcup).

Surprisingly I have never seen PBR at school. It's all Natty, Keystone, and Bud Light. Throw in Grain Belt for a little variety.

I never had it until about two weeks ago, but I'm hooked. I may pick up a 12 pack this afternoon. Going to have to throw in a couple of these craft beers everybody has recommended.

Quoting srbmod (Reply 32):
It's one of those beers that the first time you try it, you either love it or you hate it.

Add me to the hate column. It was like drinking a milkshake with milk that had gone bad when I was in the third grade. My old man busts me for hating it, but I can't touch the stuff.
Pat
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

PHX787

Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:49 am

If u guys have Untappd, go ahead and add me   PHX787 is my username on there too.

I love anything from Yebisu. Actually, a trip to Yebisu Garden Palace is a must for beer-lovers visiting tokyo.

Last week I tried "Lemon Beer." Absolutely amazing.
http://i43.tinypic.com/11ipymx.jpg
Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/phx787

fr8mech

Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:12 am

Beer...beer....and more beer. Yummy.

In no particular order:

Yuengling
Guiness
Fat Tire
Asahi
Killians
Blue Moon
Kentucky Bourbon Ale
Spotted Cow
Sands

Gosh, there's really too many to remember.

I'm hoping that I've dropped enough hints to my wife and she gets me a beer brewing kit for Christmas.
When seconds count, the police are minutes away, or may not come at all.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

WildcatYXU

Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:40 am

First I'm hearing of this new brew. I've only tried the Cascade once and didn't mind it, but I'll make sure to give the Galaxy and Hallertauer a shot if you're willing to vouch for it on here.

I'm definitely willing to vouch for it. But you still have to remember you aret drinking a beer from a mass producer, not a micro brew. So there will be no hops overload. OTOH there will be no defects that have to be masked by large amounts of hop.

[quote=WestJet747,reply=29]Quoting jetblueguy22 (Reply 19):
Rolling Rock

Actually, the product packaged in kegs and cans is produced 223, 310, 319, 320, 321, 321N, 332, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 7M8, 739, 744, 752, 753, 762, 763, 77E, 77L, 77W, 788, 789, AT4, AT7, BEH, C402, CR2, CRA, CR7, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E45, E70, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, MD82, Saab 340, YAK40

WildcatYXU

Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:49 am

I don't know what happened to my previous post after editing it. Now I ca't even fix it.

So I have to add that all Rolling Rock cans and kegs sold in Ontario are brewed and packaged in YXU. Only the bottles are imported.

alfa164

Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:03 pm

Beer? For a refreshing, real beer - I haven't found anything that beats Pilsner Urquell.

Ale? I am still a fan of Carlsberg Elephant
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

jamincan

Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:00 pm

I haven't tried it yet, but I'm excited to try Muskoka's Winter Beard Double Chocolate Cranberry Stout. I've heard good things, and the label is epic.

Osubuckeyes

Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:06 pm

Im all about the 4 Peaks Pumkin Porter and the Peach Ale right now. Also, Bell's Oberon, and Two Hearted are pretty awesome. Hopslam comes out soon too!

bwest

Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:49 am

As an everyday beer I'll usually drink Jupiler or Stella Artois, or whatever is on tap. For white beers I quite like Vedett White.

But those are all mere childs play once you move into the territory of the heavy beers. Among those I do love Orval, with its very special taste.

And then there's Sint Bernardus Abt 12. You may know that Westvleteren 12 was named best beer in the world a few years ago. But that beer is very hard to come by, you have to call the abbey, be lucky enough to get in and then drive over to collect your crate. But what few people know is that the much more easily available Sint Bernardus Abt 12 is brewed just a few kilometers away from Westvleteren according to the same recipe. Story goes that when the monks of Westvleteren had some trouble with their brewery, they asked the nearby trappist abbey in Watou if they could brew there for a while, in return that abbey was allowed to use the Westvleteren recipe. The abbey in Watou doesn't exist anymore, but the beer luckily has survived. And it tastes great, like we say in Belgium: "eten en drinken", It's a whole meal by itself!

JAGflyer

Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:32 pm

I tried a Lancaster Bomber    ale on the weekend. It's very nice and smooth (lightly carbonated). It's a bit darker than other ales I've enjoyed but the flavour is great. 4.4% too so not too intense.
If you flew today, thank a Flight Dispatcher!

ME AVN FAN

Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:06 pm

Quoting casinterest (Thread starter):
What's your latest and greatest beer you are drinking.

I like
Kronenbourg (Strassburg/Elsass)
Casablanca (Casablanca/Morocco)
Stella (Belgium & Egypt)
Murphy's Red (Ireland)

slider

Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:30 pm

On NYE, I went on an IPA binge...

Green Flash West Coast IPA
Green Flash Green Bullet, Triple IPA
Harpoon Leviathan IPA
Ballast Point Sculpin
Stash IPA (Independence Brewing, Austin)
Ballast Point Big Eye IPA
Widmer Brothers, Hopside Down (IPA Lager)
Upslope Imperial IPA
New Belgium, Fresh Hop IPA
Great Divide Fresh Hop IPA
St. Arnold's Endeavour IPA

Of course, I didn't DRINK them all at once! But some very good selections there. I think my latest favorite that I'm enjoying is the Great Divide Fresh Hop....holy shit it is awesome. You open that bottle and it is the absolute purest freshest hoppiest awesomeness I've smelled in ages. Just a spectacular beer.

csturdiv

Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:51 pm

Been drinking Anti Hero (an IPA) from Revolution Brewery. It was the first beer that I seeked out after returning to the US from a three month trip to Australia, the second being Goose Island's Green Line Pale Ale. Maybe as soon as tonight or this weekend I will be drinking a pale ale that I brewed up using hops that I bought while in Tasmania.
An American expat from the ORD area living and working in SYD

Bongodog1964

Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:16 pm

Quoting L0VE2FLY (Reply 31):
Quoting srbmod (Reply 22): According to the Simpsons, this is the recipe for Guinness:

Taste - an alien concept in many North American beers, that's the problem with a nation brought up on Bud and Miller lite

A few of my present favourites:

Adnams - Broadside
Greene King Old Speckled hen
Guinness
Jennings - Snecklifter
Hesket Newmarket - Doris's 90th

sw733

Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:52 pm

I was recently at the BA lounge at ORD and enjoyed more than a few of these tasty treats before an LHR flight. I hadn't drank it in a few years and forgot how much I liked it:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-hrH6QF-mTs8/TfqerHIiEXI/AAAAAAAAAJc/pZlPca2fbQk/s1600/IMG_1197.JPG

Quoting Slider (Reply 45):
Green Flash West Coast IPA

Always solid. I love this one. I actually came across is down in Australia earlier this year...albeit at about $14 per bottle. Not thanks.

Quoting srbmod (Reply 27):
With Goose Island now owned by A-B InBev and having national distribution as a result, you shouldn't have to resort to bootlegging.

Yeah, I have found it in my local store and used some in a brisket recipe I made for Christmas Day

Quoting srbmod (Reply 27):
Their regular lineup (312, Honkers, and IPA) just didn't stand up to the hype I had heard.

312 is really poor in my opinion. I do like the phone tap though - it looks neat.

Honkers is okay. Sometimes I crave it, but that's rare. I'll drink it...maybe twice a year.

csturdiv

Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:31 pm

Quoting sw733 (Reply 48):
312 is really poor in my opinion. I do like the phone tap though - it looks neat.

Honkers is okay. Sometimes I crave it, but that's rare. I'll drink it...maybe twice a year.

If you are ever in the Chicago area for a while, head out to the Goose Island brewpubs, they have some beers on tap that are not sold anywhere else as they do not bottle it. Green Line Pale Ale is one of those. Some bars/restaurants have it on tap. I even got it at ORD a few times. And if you are in the area head out to the western suburbs (Warrenville) to the Two Brothers Brewery / restaurant. They have a good selection of beers on tap there fresh from behind the other side of the wall in the brewery, and if you are there on the weekend, you can take a free tour of the brewery as well. One of their beers is Heavy Handed and on tap they had different versions of it (with different hops) and was fun trying all of the varieties. Also the food at both Goose Island and Two Brothers was good as well.
An American expat from the ORD area living and working in SYD