Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

melpax
Topic Author

Ronnie Biggs Dead

Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:37 am

Ronnie Biggs has made his final escape.....

http://www.theage.com.au/world/ronni...in-robber-dies-20131218-2zl7f.html

He managed to lay low here in Melbourne for a couple of years, where he was working as a carpenter for one of the TV stations. When word got out that Biggs might be hiding out in Melbourne, the story led the evening news on the same TV station he worked for, which led to his escape to Brazil.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronnie_Biggs

Definatly a character.

varigb707

RE: Ronnie Biggs Dead

Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:20 am

Interesting story. In some ways Biggs reminds me of Henry Hill, a New Yorker mobster for the Lucchese Family.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Hill
Well, they are both dead. RIP
First, I said 'hey' and then I said 'now'. "Hey Now!" - Hank K.

OA260

Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:55 am

Quoting melpax (Thread starter):
Definatly a character.

But despite the romantic charade over the years was still a convicted criminal who did not properly serve his sentence.

CPH-R

Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:06 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 2):
But despite the romantic charade over the years was still a convicted criminal who did not properly serve his sentence.

Indeed, he escaped justice thanks to a very lenient law and then spent years taunting the the police about it. Not exactly the type of person I'd view favourably.

melpax
Topic Author

Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:59 pm

Quoting CPH-R (Reply 3):
Indeed, he escaped justice thanks to a very lenient law and then spent years taunting the the police about it. Not exactly the type of person I'd view favourably.

True, although if he'd remained in jail, he would have proably been released decades ago & would have been long forgotten, along with the robbery.

Was watching BBC World last night, where they were talking to his biographer. He said that Ronnie would constantly have fugitives come to his door for support. Ronnie would tell them to go back & face the music, and 'not to end up like me', unable to see his family & always having to look over his shoulder for the rest of his days.

He managed to outlive his old nemesis, Inspector Jack Slipper from Scotland Yard who died back in 2005.

yyz717

Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:55 pm

Quoting varigb707 (Reply 1):
RIP

Why should he get to RIP? An employee on that train died 6 years later from his injuries. Biggs was a thug. May he never RIP.
I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

OA260

Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:01 pm

Quoting melpax (Reply 4):
True, although if he'd remained in jail, he would have proably been released decades ago & would have been long forgotten, along with the robbery.

But he didn't and he chose to break the law again and escape. Once he did he took great pleasure in cashing in on the crimes. Selling cheap T Shirts with his signature and sticking two fingers up to the British people/government and the Family of the guy that died after.

Of course when he realised he was turning into a vegetable where did he call on to help him? Hmm yes the British tax payer and the country he chose to flee. He went from a jack the lad criminal to a sorry sad old man who could not feed himself. Certainly no hero or a person to respect or feel sorry for.

srbmod

Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:32 pm

Quoting yyz717 (Reply 5):
An employee on that train died 6 years later from his injuries.
Quoting OA260 (Reply 6):
Selling cheap T Shirts with his signature and sticking two fingers up to the British people/government and the Family of the guy that died after.

The man in question, Jack Mills, did not die of his injuries, he died several years after the robbery of leukemia and while the injuries sustained in the robbery shortened his working career, he spent most of his last years on the job on sick leave for medical issues unrelated to the injuries sustained in the robbery. Anyone trying to blame his death on Ronnie Biggs or any other participant in the Great Train Robbery is misplacing the blame and trying to find a scapegoat when there isn't one other than cancer.

Biggs had to do what he had to do in order to get by when he lived in Brazil because he was limited in his options due to his notoriety and the fact he was a known criminal. I'm sure he would have rather worked a legitimate job instead of being something akin to an animal in a zoo. Even Malcolm McLaren used him to perpetuate the Sex Pistols in the wake of Johnny Rotten and Sid Vicious leaving the band and got a Top 10 single in the UK out of it.

varigb707

Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:49 pm

Quoting yyz717 (Reply 5):
Why should he get to RIP

he's is (was) a human being too. .
First, I said 'hey' and then I said 'now'. "Hey Now!" - Hank K.

yyz717

Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:26 am

Quoting srbmod (Reply 7):
Jack Mills, did not die of his injuries, he died several years after the robbery of leukemia and while the injuries sustained in the robbery shortened his working career, he spent most of his last years on the job on sick leave for medical issues unrelated to the injuries sustained in the robbery. Anyone trying to blame his death on Ronnie Biggs or any other participant in the Great Train Robbery is misplacing the blame and trying to find a scapegoat when there isn't one other than cancer.

Here's a couple of easily sourced links that show how stress can accelerate the progression of leukemia:
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0889159112002231
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22306453

Can you firmly conclude that the violence of the robbery and his ensuing injuries had NO impact on his physical and mental ability to fight the leukemia just a few short years later? I can't.....

Biggs had to do what he had to do in order to get by when he lived in Brazil because he was limited in his options due to his notoriety and the fact he was a known criminal.

He had one honourable option: turn himself in.
I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

bwest

Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:13 pm

Quoting yyz717 (Reply 9):
Can you firmly conclude that the violence of the robbery and his ensuing injuries had NO impact on his physical and mental ability to fight the leukemia just a few short years later? I can't....

Neither can you conclude that they did have an impact... This is a discussion that could go on forever.

[Edited 2013-12-23 05:14:44]

Max Q

Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:48 am

The man in question, Jack Mills, did not die of his injuries, he died several years after the robbery of leukemia and while the injuries sustained in the robbery shortened his working career, he spent most of his last years on the job on sick leave for medical issues unrelated to the injuries sustained in the robbery. Anyone trying to blame his death on Ronnie Biggs or any other participant in the Great Train Robbery is misplacing the blame and trying to find a scapegoat when there isn't one other than cancer.

Biggs had to do what he had to do in order to get by when he lived in Brazil because he was limited in his options due to his notoriety and the fact he was a known criminal. I'm sure he would have rather worked a legitimate job instead of being something akin to an animal in a zoo. Even Malcolm McLaren used him to perpetuate the Sex Pistols in the wake of Johnny Rotten and Sid Vicious leaving the band and got a Top 10 single in the UK out of it.

Thank you for a reality check.

Biggs was no saint but he was a good man, tortured and punished by a wrong decision.
I have followed his life for many years. I was in Rio many years ago and had planned to meet up with him. I spoke to his Son on the phone and, unfortunately we couldn't arrange it, always regretted that.

Anyway.

The world is a worse place without Ronnie.

[Edited 2013-12-24 00:21:1

[Edited 2013-12-24 00:26:47]

[Edited 2013-12-24 00:28:40]
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

GGg

OA260

Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:34 am

Anyone wanting to see the star line up attending the pantomime pics here :

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/ar...Biggs-Great-Train-Robber-goes.html

His own Son wore jeans !

L410Turbolet

Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:56 am

Quoting Max Q (Reply 11):
The world is a worse place without Ronnie.

I am probably missing something in the translation but I would love to hear how this strange world where a criminal becomes dubious "celebrity" for evading justice became a worse place after his death?

Biggs had to do what he had to do in order to get by when he lived in Brazil because he was limited in his options due to his notoriety and the fact he was a known criminal. I'm sure he would have rather worked a legitimate job instead of being something akin to an animal in a zoo.

And why should we feel sorry for the choices he made?

Bongodog1964

Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:48 pm

Biggs had to do what he had to do in order to get by when he lived in Brazil because he was limited in his options due to his notoriety and the fact he was a known criminal. I'm sure he would have rather worked a legitimate job instead of being something akin to an animal in a zoo.
Quoting Max Q (Reply 11):
Biggs was no saint but he was a good man, tortured and punished by a wrong decision.

Biggs was a career petty criminal, dishonourably discharged from the RAF and then lived a typical criminals life of bouncing back and forwards from prison. He was in reality only a minor player in the Great Train Robbery, and only achieved fame by escaping from prison and going on the run. I doubt a legitimate job ever featured highly in his wish list, as to "the victim of a wrong decision" the train robbery was just one in a long list.

zckls04

Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:32 am

Quoting L410Turbolet (Reply 14):
I am probably missing something in the translation but I would love to hear how this strange world where criminal becomes a dubious "celebrity" for evading justice became a worse place after his death?

I can assure you that the idea that he somehow made the world a better place is very much a minority view. Most see him for what he was- a serial thief, a coward and a hypocrite.

He wasn't the worst man in the world, but he is not worth crying over.
Four Granavox Turbines!