Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

blueflyer
Topic Author

UPS Meltdown In Dallas?

Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:37 pm

A little over a week ago, we had a fairly severe ice storm in the Metroplex, shutting most businesses down for a day or two. Obviously, it takes some time to return to normal operations, but FedEx did it within a couple of days while UPS' recovery, as seen from my department at least, is getting to a point where I'd describe it as pretty bad, and I was wondering whether our experience is anecdotal.

Since the storm ended, 40% of not-next-day-air and ground packages have been delayed, anywhere from a day to five. This week alone, a third of new shipments inbound and outbound are still delayed, and the ice storm is still the culprit (or so says UPS). Outbound packages are held up in Mesquite TX (the DFW ground sort) and inbound packages in Hodgkins IL (because Mesquite can't take them, we're told).

Next-day air packages are faring better, with no delay this week, but again, FedEx recovered faster than UPS. It isn't the first winter weather shutdown I experience in the Metroplex, and I don't remember UPS needing more than a week to recover previously.

Are we unlucky, or did UPS forget that, every now and then, it does freeze hard in DFW?

photopilot

RE: UPS Meltdown In Dallas?

Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:02 am

UPS..... You Pray Sometimes for delivery!!!!!

Airstud

Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:26 am

Quoting blueflyer (Thread starter):
Are we unlucky, or did UPS forget that, every now and then, it does freeze hard in DFW

The latter.

I don't think I've ever received a package from UPS where they didn't make some kind of visible screw-up.

Meh.
Pancakes are delicious.

srbmod

Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:40 am

I suggest going to the UPS Facebook page, as they are getting reamed by a lot of folks over this (not to mention other screw ups). There are people claiming they had items that have been at Mesquite for 10 days. UPS is definitely trying to continue to blame the weather last week for this.

It also seems as though UPS is severely understaffed this season, as there are reports of backlogs at a number of UPS facilities in which entire trailers of packages are being delayed. I had a package that was supposed to be delivered today that sat at their Atlanta facility for 28 hours and the last update on their site for the package was a departure scam at 10:01 AM, presumably to the UPS facility near me. The package at one point was labeled "exception" and no reason was given and that my package would be delayed one business day. Good thing that free shipping was included in my order or else I really would be mad.

ltbewr

Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:52 am

Like many companies, they are likely understaffing to save money. This is also a hyper peak time with no slack when things go bad (like weather).

rfields5421

Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:00 pm

Quoting srbmod (Reply 3):
UPS is definitely trying to continue to blame the weather last week for this.

What I'm seeing on the local news is UPS is saying they are bring in staff from other locations/ states to deal with the backlog.

Quoting blueflyer (Thread starter):
FedEx did it within a couple of days

UPS carries many times the volume of FedEx Ground. You can drive by both the Mesquite UPS location and the Mesquite FedEx Ground yards - and see from just the size of the parking area available UPS is 5 to 10 times bigger.

Yes, they have dozens of trailers a day come into Mesquite this time of year.

Not only were trailers stacked up in Mesquite - but a backlog of trailers developed of the five days I-20 west of DFW were unpassable, I-35 north was blocked in Sanger and three or four days of backups to the east.

Quoting ltbewr (Reply 4):
they are likely understaffing to save money.

I would not disagree, though the distribution center in Mesquite continues to hire sorters, warehouse people and drivers on a regular basis. Yes, it is not easy to get on - and they have a very high turnover among their new employees - folks don't realize how hard the work is when they sign on.
Not all who wander are lost.

jetblueguy22

Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:27 am

Quoting srbmod (Reply 3):
It also seems as though UPS is severely understaffed this season, as there are reports of backlogs at a number of UPS facilities in which entire trailers of packages are being delayed.

We are hurting for employees at my UPS center. My shift has been starting 2 hours early just to get everything out on time and I've been leaving 3 hours later than normal. In October I was working about 15-18 hours a week. Last week I did 43 as a part time employee.

they are likely understaffing to save money.

At first I would believe this, but not after the last couple of weeks. My off peak is normally 7 people, the last 4 weeks we have gone through 7 new guys. We just can't get them to stay.

The volume I've seen just at my small center is mind boggling. The morning crew normally starts at 5 and runs until 930 to load up package cars. Since cyber Monday they have been starting between 1-130. Usual off peak volume is only around 6k packages a day. One day last week we did 12,500 in one day. We are using 6 extra package cars and 3 rental trucks just to try and handle it all. Not sure how Dallas is operating now, but I know the weather in the Midwest has hurt quite a bit, though things have improved quite a bit. Hopefully we can get you all your holiday gifts in time.
Pat
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

StuckInCA

Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:39 am

Quoting Airstud (Reply 2):
I don't think I've ever received a package from UPS where they didn't make some kind of visible screw-up.

Really? Have you received more than 2 packages from them? If so, I can't possibly believe you.

Including shipments for work, I couldn't possibly count the thousands of packages I have received from UPS and very very few (probably countable on my fingers) have been delayed by anything other than customs.

blueflyer
Topic Author

Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:01 pm

Well, we were informed by UPS they would be caught up by this Sunday as they would exceptionally be delivering packages all day. I can't attest as to whether they did run on Sunday as I didn't see any delivery truck (the post office did, I got two packages), but I can attest both professionally and personally they're not close to being caught up. Worse, I've seen delay notices issued for time-definite packages shipped this past Thursday.

Quoting rfields5421 (Reply 5):
UPS carries many times the volume of FedEx Ground.

This argument goes both ways. Smaller companies have the potential to be nimbler than larger competitors, but larger companies can assign more resources to a problem than smaller ones usually...

Quoting rfields5421 (Reply 5):
Not only were trailers stacked up in Mesquite - but a backlog of trailers developed

99.5% of the time, UPS is applauded for being able to move a significant share of its time-definite shipments by road instead of air. This may be one of the 0.5% where relying so much on surface transport is hurting, not helping. The severity of the weather was well known, perhaps it might have been better to hold shipments at an air hub and fly them in at a later date rather than send them by truck into the storm. That said, the extended recovery period makes me think it isn't just about processing backlogged trailers anymore. Other factors such as understaffing (whatever the cause), sort capacity unable to absorb much more than a "normal" Christmas rush, lack of infrastructure investment to match business growth or lack of equipment may be involved...

Quoting jetblueguy22 (Reply 6):
We are hurting for employees at my UPS center.

Then perhaps UPS needs to pay more.
(this answer to be taken as seriously as the belief often professed on a.net that whenever a company is in difficulty, employers should automatically accept pay and benefit cuts to ensure its survival)

rfields5421

Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:16 pm

I've also seen US Postal Service working on Saturday and Sunday the past two weekends clearing their backlog. I did see three UPS delivery trucks pass through my neighborhood northeast of Dallas on Sunday - we usually only see one by day in our subdivision - our UPS deliveries almost always occur between 6:30 and 7:30 pm year round. On a trip into Plano yesterday, I saw several UPS trucks.

Quoting blueflyer (Reply 8):
The severity of the weather was well known, perhaps it might have been better to hold shipments at an air hub and fly them in at a later date rather than send them by truck into the storm.

I agree about the severity of the weather and anticipation. Many of the delays did not occur in Dallas - but in other locations as the storm traveled across the country. Also, UPS really doesn't have the free airlift capacity to move that volume of packages.

UPS pays very well. Yes, they could pay better.

But the job is long hard physically demanding outdoor work - very hot in the summer in Texas, very cold and wet in the winter. I physically couldn't do the job. My ex-son-in-law tried it. Being a macho he-man type, he was surprised that his body couldn't handle the work after a week and a half either.

The job is also varying in pay and time requirements. As the fellow mentioned above - most jobs are part-time with 15-18 hours per week much of the year - and suddenly he is working 43 hours now.

UPS simply doesn't need many people much of the year - and needs a whole lot more in the latter half of Nov and Dec.

jetblueguy22

Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:07 am

Well, we were informed by UPS they would be caught up by this Sunday as they would exceptionally be delivering packages all day. I can't attest as to whether they did run on Sunday as I didn't see any delivery truck (the post office did, I got two packages), but I can attest both professionally and personally they're not close to being caught up. Worse, I've seen delay notices issued for time-definite packages shipped this past Thursday.

The problem this last week or so though has been the fact that centers are catching up, but the result of that is full trucks. When the air arrives there isn't a whole lot of room to put these packages.

That said, the extended recovery period makes me think it isn't just about processing backlogged trailers anymore. Other factors such as understaffing (whatever the cause), sort capacity unable to absorb much more than a "normal" Christmas rush, lack of infrastructure investment to match business growth or lack of equipment may be involved...

I think this rush was just much bigger than anybody had anticipated. We had a shorter period between Thanksgiving and Christmas than normal, along with a larger than anticipated increase in online shopping, and poor weather and you have a recipe for disaster on your hands. I've talked with drivers who have worked at UPS for 20+ years and the consensus seems to be they have never seen anything like this their entire time at UPS.

It's all unskilled labor, no need to pay a lot extra just to get them in the door, only to have them turn around and quit the next day. This is coming from an employee too.

Quoting rfields5421 (Reply 9):
But the job is long hard physically demanding outdoor work - very hot in the summer in Texas, very cold and wet in the winter. I physically couldn't do the job. My ex-son-in-law tried it. Being a macho he-man type, he was surprised that his body couldn't handle the work after a week and a half either.

The problem I've seen is more with the lack of inside people than drivers. There just isn't enough people to load up these trucks. Sure some drivers would help, but a lot of the temporary drivers they hire (many of which come from inside operations) run at a lower delivery count because of inexperience and do the pickups so regular drivers can handle deliveries.

Quoting rfields5421 (Reply 9):
UPS simply doesn't need many people much of the year - and needs a whole lot more in the latter half of Nov and Dec.

I wish I took a picture of the trailers the day before Thanksgiving and then on Cyber Monday. It was like someone flipped a switch and boom, 5x normal volume.
Pat
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

jetwet1

Wed Dec 25, 2013 3:38 am

Like many companies, they are likely understaffing to save money. This is also a hyper peak time with no slack when things go bad (like weather).
Quoting jetblueguy22 (Reply 6):
We are hurting for employees at my UPS center. My shift has been starting 2 hours early just to get everything out on time and I've been leaving 3 hours later than normal. In October I was working about 15-18 hours a week. Last week I did 43 as a part time employee.

My brother in law is a student, for the past few years he has worked at UPS during the Christmas rush, this year he approached them only to be told that this year, they would be paying minimum wage, he went to work for a friend of my father in law instead making $15hr....Maybe this is the issue ? UPS decided to get cheap with the temp workers and the temps decided they would rather do something else ?

jetblueguy22

Wed Dec 25, 2013 5:43 am

Quoting jetwet1 (Reply 11):
My brother in law is a student, for the past few years he has worked at UPS during the Christmas rush, this year he approached them only to be told that this year, they would be paying minimum wage, he went to work for a friend of my father in law instead making $15hr....Maybe this is the issue ? UPS decided to get cheap with the temp workers and the temps decided they would rather do something else ?

I was unaware they were paying them minimum wage. None of the temp employees we've had at my center have mentioned it, but maybe they are just assuming we all get that.
Pat

blueflyer
Topic Author

Wed Dec 25, 2013 7:48 am

Quoting jetblueguy22 (Reply 10):
It's all unskilled labor, no need to pay a lot extra just to get them in the door, only to have them turn around and quit the next day. This is coming from an employee too.

Pay is linked to skills (or lack thereof), but to the available labor force as well. Perhaps if UPS paid more, it would attract a higher caliber of unskilled labor and/or motivate them to show up the next day.

In North Dakota where unskilled hard-working labor can make a good living in the oil fields, fast food operators have discovered the hard way they needed to up the starting pay to $15/hour to attract and retain reliable unskilled labor.

Quoting jetblueguy22 (Reply 12):
None of the temp employees we've had at my center have mentioned it

My guess is the pay varies from one area to the next. To use North Dakota as an example again, if McDonald's offers $15/hour, UPS most likely will have very little to no luck finding seasonal night sort workers at $7.25...

Quoting jetblueguy22 (Reply 10):
I think this rush was just much bigger than anybody had anticipated.

Whatever it turns out to be, I'd be very curious to find out what will UPS' conclusions be on the causes of this debacle. It may be that UPS is too confident in its capacity to execute when things don't go according to plans. I saw real life examples again today, with packages labelled "out for delivery" early this morning, only to have the delivery date changed late tonight to Thursday. Hope crushed by further disappointment. For a lot of consumers, I'd imagine that is the proverbial drop in the bucket...

rfields5421

Wed Dec 25, 2013 3:23 pm

We got two packages at 9:45 pm yesterday - and neither had been marked as out for delivery on the UPS status pages.

I believe UPS would have been able to handle most of the deliveries if the weather had not clogged up the system for a few days. Air shipments were being delivered on time.

Another thing I learned is Amazon does not offer a Second Day Delivery or One Day Delivery options. You can specify One Day Shipping on most products you order from them - but that only guarantees the package will leave their facility in less than one day. They use their normal shipping method - which is almost always UPS Ground for major metropolitan areas- for actual delivery requirement to the shipper - UPS. Guaranteed delivery by date X is advisory, not actually guaranteed.

Quoting blueflyer (Reply 13):
Whatever it turns out to be, I'd be very curious to find out what will UPS' conclusions be on the causes of this debacle.

UPS is finding that on-line shopping and shipping is growing. Even B&M retailers are delivering more and more products to customers via UPS.

The big change I see for next year is on-line retailers having to change their shipping policy to push their order deadlines earlier for 'Guaranteed Delivery by Christmas'.

Okie

Wed Dec 25, 2013 5:17 pm

Quoting rfields5421 (Reply 14):
We got two packages at 9:45 pm yesterday - and neither had been marked as out for delivery on the UPS status pages

I noticed a rental "U Haul" truck in front of my house about 6pm with the back door up (Christmas Eve).
I stepped out front to investigate. There was a FedEx driver rearranging packages in the back. She said they were a little behind. The truck still appeared to be half full at that time of evening I suspect I know where she spent Christmas Eve.
I am getting the impression that UPS was not the only service overwhelmed.

Okie

mham001

Wed Dec 25, 2013 5:47 pm

I have been astounded at the 2 day deliveries, even in peak Christmas season. As more and more shopping is being done online, there could be growing pains, that is what UPS said yesterday. I got a UPS delivery at 9:30pm this Monday.
The online sellers are not helping. I ordered 4 childrens' books, all part of the same series. It took 3 deliveries for Amazon to get them here, from 3 different delivery centers. OnTrac. Amazon is pushing hard with Prime free 2 day shipping on many products.
My hat is off to UPS and OnTrac, this is a difficult time of the year for them.

iowaman

Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:29 am

I work for the postal service and I can attest to the shear volume of packages coming through. This is in addition to the bump in first class mail we handle around Christmas. A lot of the larger offices (level 21 and higher) worked Sundays to help catch up on the mail. We also had package runners on Christmas Eve to help get Priority and Express mail delivered.
Another hangup is the package sorting facilities - some of which were overwhelmed with demand, particularly the ones consolidated recently. I can usually send a package from Iowa to Illinois and it is there in two days. I sent one last Thursday and it finally arrived this Tuesday.
From a customer service point of view, all this tracking information available on smartphones is almost making the situation worse. People call in as soon as they see their package has arrived at the post office, and then want me to dig through piles of unsorted packages to find theirs which slows down the process further. I've learned to just tell people to come back later when everything is sorted.

Pay is linked to skills (or lack thereof), but to the available labor force as well. Perhaps if UPS paid more, it would attract a higher caliber of unskilled labor and/or motivate them to show up the next day.

[checkmark] The USPS is having the same problem. Sure you can start out at $12 or even $14 an hour, but with varying hours, no guarantee of permanent employment off the street, and limited benefits it's hard to get people in. Not to mention it is about a two month process from application to being trained in the USPS. A lot of those people find employment elsewhere in the hiring process. We also have a lot of small offices in these tiny farm towns, and it is difficult to find anyone who wants to work 2 hours a day, 6 days a week (yes, we have offices that are only open two hours a day in the tiny rural towns).

[Edited 2013-12-25 17:33:13]

cptkrell

Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:03 am

A report on the national news (ABC, I think) just hours ago states that FedEx is also having problems due to weather. Both they and UPS have missed Christmas deliveries. A HuffPo report sez UPS states that volume has over exceeded capacity.

I did a last-minute send from a local UPS store. They had the exact size-needed box and their store is convenient. After the packaging, I was surprised to learn that it would be sent USPS Priority and not UPS. I had already used my credit card, the package was ready, taped and labeled, and I wasn't about to change out the order. It got there the following day (Tennessee to Louisiana).
all best; jack

Okie

Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:55 am

Quoting mham001 (Reply 16):
I have been astounded at the 2 day deliveries, even in peak Christmas season. As more and more shopping is being done online, there could be growing pains, that is what UPS said yesterday

Just going off news reports for what ever that is worth.
Christmas sales were down 3%
Brick and Mortar were claiming sales down near 20%

That indicates at least a 15% shift from Brick and Mortar to Internet sales for Christmas items.
Now if you figure those Brick and Mortar stores were not ordering cartons (10-12 items) to plug shortages on the shelf then that in itself would mean that is 10 or 12 packages that had to be delivered to the final destination for every carton delivered to a store.
Add a 15% growth toward internet sales, throw in some bad weather and it appears that none of the shipping organizations were ready for the quantity of packages.

I did not have any packages ordered that were close to Christmas deliveries and find it pretty amazing that they are as efficient as they are. If I had a package that was late or missing then my opinion might change.

I have always been a little apprehensive about sending my CC data for on line sales. So after shopping at Target for toys for relatives now I may have to rethink that.

Okie

rfields5421

Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:41 am

We have to remember that almost all the delayed packages are normal UPS Ground and FedEx Ground delivery.

Overnight Air and Second Day Air packages were getting delivered on time except for the actual days of the ice storms.

Like I found from Amazon - when shippers tell you that a package will be "One Day Shipping" and Amazon Prime's "Second Day Shipping" - they are talking about how fast they get it our of their warehouse and into the hands of the shipping company. The shipping is almost always UPS Ground based on 'normal' shipping times to your address.

blueflyer
Topic Author

Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:17 am

Quoting rfields5421 (Reply 14):
The big change I see for next year is on-line retailers having to change their shipping policy to push their order deadlines earlier for 'Guaranteed Delivery by Christmas'.

It will be interesting indeed. If early reports that network capacity was exceeded are confirmed, it may be an ongoing problem for a few years to come. Increasing capacity isn't the easiest thing to plan (where, how, by how much), not to mention the financial perspective. With tightening profit margins, does it make sense to spend funds on capacity improvements that are needed one month out of 12? We may have to live with this Christmas season as the new normal for a few years, or higher shipping rates to fund the network improvements.

Quoting rfields5421 (Reply 20):
We have to remember that almost all the delayed packages are normal UPS Ground and FedEx Ground delivery. Overnight Air and Second Day Air packages were getting delivered on time except for the actual days of the ice storms.

I'm going to have to disagree with the "almost all." I'd say about a third of the delayed shipments I have visibility into are time definite, although most of these are second and third day packages. There are few, but more than usual nevertheless, delays on next-day packages.

Going into Monday-morning quarterbacking mode, I am wondering whether the outcome wouldn't have been better for the DFW area if UPS had considered the shipments delayed by the ice storm as "sunk loss" and prioritize all shipments sent after. The exception rate might have been lower overall.

Quoting okie (Reply 15):
I noticed a rental "U Haul" truck in front of my house about 6pm with the back door up (Christmas Eve). (...) I am getting the impression that UPS was not the only service overwhelmed.

The use of third-party vehicles isn't necessarily a sign of being overwhelmed. There is such a surge in volume in the month to Christmas that neither FedEx nor UPS have enough in-house delivery vehicles available. If they did have enough, a significant portion of their fleet would be unneeded and idle 11 months of the year. Instead, between Thanksgiving and Christmas, they'll empty out Penske and Ryder lots of anything that can be driven without a CDL, with more vehicles from U-Haul and Budget occasionally as well.

I know one of the business development managers for Ryder in the DFW area, and he told me once he warns all his customers that if they have seasonal needs, be it even for just a few days before Christmas, they need to check out their vehicles before Thanksgiving because whatever's left afterwards is picked up by FedEx and UPS.

[Edited 2013-12-25 23:21:31]

bhill

Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:53 pm

FedEx too...I ordered a laptop from HP for my son. Thing was built in China, then to Japan, then to Anchorage, must have flown over my head here in Seatlle and went all the way to....Tennessee. THEN back to Seattle, and has been sitting in Bothell for 2 days.....they missed the Dec 24th delivery I paid for. Here is what I find soooooo stupid; why have ONE major distribution point in an area that always gets socked in the winter, when it would make more sense to load balance the distribution of freight and have the other sites as backup when you KNOW days in advance the weather is gonna be bad....dumb!! Yeah, I could have done my Christmas shopping LAST JANUARY, but I had thought when I pay big bucks for some form of "expedited" shipping, I would get the service I paid for.

Thank God they were not organs for transplant..............
Carpe Pices

jetblueguy22

Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:32 pm

In North Dakota where unskilled hard-working labor can make a good living in the oil fields, fast food operators have discovered the hard way they needed to up the starting pay to $15/hour to attract and retain reliable unskilled labor.

I'm in North Dakota and I can tell you we get them in the door, just don't hold on to them. And that is with above minimum wage. The eastern half of the state is booming, but you don't have to pay $15 bucks to keep them there. A lot of college kids are applying for the UPS jobs.

Quoting iowaman (Reply 17):
Not to mention it is about a two month process from application to being trained in the USPS.

I have to imagine it is harder training with USPS. I applied at UPS on Friday, interviewed Monday, and was loading trailers Tuesday.

Quoting cptkrell (Reply 18):
I was surprised to learn that it would be sent USPS Priority and not UPS

That's strange. We send a lot of packages "Surepost." We pick up from the shipper and carry it just as any other package up until delivery. Hand them over to the postal service for final delivery. Perhaps it was that?

Quoting rfields5421 (Reply 20):
Like I found from Amazon - when shippers tell you that a package will be "One Day Shipping" and Amazon Prime's "Second Day Shipping" - they are talking about how fast they get it our of their warehouse and into the hands of the shipping company. The shipping is almost always UPS Ground based on 'normal' shipping times to your address.

I'm not sure about that. All of the prime packages are certainly sent Second Day Air. We get a ton of Second Day Air Amazon Prime packages.

Quoting bhill (Reply 22):
Here is what I find soooooo stupid; why have ONE major distribution point in an area that always gets socked in the winter, when it would make more sense to load balance the distribution of freight and have the other sites as backup when you KNOW days in advance the weather is gonna be bad....dumb!!

Distribution points get switched up during peak times. But it doesn't mean that your specific city will get upgraded. There may not be enough volume to warrant ANC to SEA.
Pat

ltbewr

Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:45 pm

As a few posters and today's news noted, there was at least a 10% increase of Internet sales which means much greater demand for UPS, USPS and FedEx. This is on top of normal business deliveries.
I do think all 3 had issues with weather, not only in Texas last week but some 'snowbelt' areas had serious ice storms, limiting delivery to those areas.
I would add that too many bought too late to have a real chance of being on time if any weather or related problems.