allegiantflyer
Topic Author

Is Graduating High School Early Worth It?

Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:56 pm

If you remember a few months ago i was asking advice on studying abroad. Unfortunately i can no longer do that. (My school district said that i would literally receive zero credits for the time spent abroad even though ill be doing schoolwork while there). So a few week ago i realized that since im already 2.5 credits ahead of where im supposed to be academically, I should think about graduating early and getting a head start on college. but that's a lot of work, so im wondering if you guys think its worth the effort. A lot of information I have gathered about early graduates is that they become anti social once they start college and don't have a social life, or any. Have any of you done this or know of anyone that has? Please help out! thanks!  

cptkrell

RE: Is Graduating High School Early Worth It?

Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:21 pm

Strange question; if you don't mind my thoughts...

Quoting AllegiantFlyer (Thread starter):
, I should think about graduating early and getting a head start on college. but that's a lot of work, so im wondering if you guys think its worth the effort

Well, yeah...it SHOULD be a lot of work. And SHOULD be worth the effort.

A lot of information I have gathered about early graduates is that they become anti social once they start college and don't have a social life, or any.

Sounds to me like you may be questioning your social maturity as opposed to thinking about working to secure your future.

Please help out! thanks!

The only help I can offer is to mentally explore yourself and decide what you really are thinking about. Today? Tomorrow?
all best; jack

DeltaMD90

Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:22 pm

I graduated college (not high school) early, in 2.5 years, for reasons not really pertinent to the thread. Unless you really have a good reason to graduate early, I'd say enjoy HS and focus on good grades and getting into a good college. Same applies to college--get a good education that will set you up but by all means go faster if you can without adversely affecting you.

I don't think it would make you anti social or whatever, in fact, it's kinda cool being among the youngest of my peers, getting to the same place they are faster  

Random side note--take all the AP classes and CLEP classes when you get to college. That's a quick way to knock off a semester or two of school

PacNWjet

Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:34 pm

As a college professor here is my take: If you do graduate from high school early and want to get a head start on college, take classes at a community college that will transfer towards whatever four-year college you eventually plan to attend. At the four-year college at which I teach I occasionally see students who start in the middle of the school year, i.e., in January at the start of spring semester. These students miss out on a lot of the socialization that takes place at the beginning of the school year in August/September (fall semester). By "socialization" I don't even necessarily mean meeting other students. Rather, it is important for new students to get acclimated to the college learning environment in the fall when professors, administrators, and staff welcome a new freshman class and instruct the students on the academic aspects of college. Students who start in the middle of the school year miss out on a lot of this and fall through the cracks.

Your better bet is to take some classes at a community college that can be applied to whatever four-year college you plan to attend. Call the Registrar's Office at the four-year college where you want to go and ask the staff what types of community college credits apply to completion of your undergraduate degree. That way you don't waste your time on community college credits that won't transfer. The Registrar's Office is always the best place to begin because they know about the specifics of graduation requirements and routinely deal with students who want to transfer in community college credits.

So, to sum up, if you want to graduate from high school early that is not a bad idea, but wait until the start of fall semester to begin your time at a four-year college and use the time in between to earn credits at a community college that can be applied to your four-year degree.

DocLightning

Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:41 am

Quoting cptkrell (Reply 1):
Sounds to me like you may be questioning your social maturity as opposed to thinking about working to secure your future.

And that is a very valid concern.

Quoting PacNWJet (Reply 3):
As a college professor here is my take: If you do graduate from high school early and want to get a head start on college, take classes at a community college that will transfer towards whatever four-year college you eventually plan to attend. At the four-year college at which I teach I occasionally see students who start in the middle of the school year, i.e., in January at the start of spring semester. These students miss out on a lot of the socialization that takes place at the beginning of the school year in August/September (fall semester). By "socialization" I don't even necessarily mean meeting other students. Rather, it is important for new students to get acclimated to the college learning environment in the fall when professors, administrators, and staff welcome a new freshman class and instruct the students on the academic aspects of college. Students who start in the middle of the school year miss out on a lot of this and fall through the cracks.

I agree with this completely. I am an Alumni Admissions Representative at a prestigious university. I have some insight into the college admissions process.

If your goal of graduating HS early is to instead spend that year doing something else to enrich yourself (like study abroad, which might count towards college credits...or might not), or travel the world, or start a charitable nonprofit then not only is that a good idea, but it makes you a more attractive candidate, especially at the elite schools. Just make sure your accelerated academic schedule allows you to maintain very good grades. Quality is better than speed. Furthermore, it's also acceptable to apply to a four-year school and then, when accepted, defer a year and go off and do something else. A "gap year" so to speak. It's great if you/your parents can afford it.

Alternatively, you may be academically bored and unchallenged in high school (which is absolutely fair if your HS doesn't offer AP/IB classes) and so you will finish early and take one or two years at a local community college, while you can still live at home with your parents, hang out with your friends (perhaps still do stuff with your high school clubs if you like), and take some time to grow up (and there is nothing wrong with being young and needing to grow up; we were all guilty of that once. In fact, it's mature to admit that you're young and need to grow up.). Community College might also be a very enriching experience for you. You will be in classes with people who are a little older than you...and a few who are a great deal older than you (decades older) and you will work together on group projects and form study groups, etc. So on that level, you will come out of it with new experiences that you'd never get in high school.

If your goal is to go off straight to a four-year college after graduating early, I'd steer you away from that. College is a young adult place and it is set up for young adults. Everybody in college can drive (or is old enough to if they choose not to), they have their own bank accounts and ATM cards, can sign for their own shots at the doctor, votes, etc. Sex and alcohol run rampant at most campuses to different degrees and most students have achieved at least a very late adolescent if not fully young adult physical form. If you are entering such an environment as someone aged 15-16, you will be extremely out of place and you will, in essense, "miss college." College is an experience best done at ages 18-24 or so, as a young adult.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Revelation

Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:24 am

im wondering if you guys think its worth the effort

Nope. The advise above is great. Knocking off a few classes at a community college that will transfer to your chosen college is a great use of time. It will ease you into college, and will reduce the stress once you get there. Plus, chances are that credits at the comm college are a lot cheaper then those at a full blown university. A total win-win.

Don't know what college you want to go to? Hmmm, then why are you trying to get there ahead of time? Take your time and do your best to get it right.

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 4):
I am an Alumni Admissions Representative at a prestigious university.

Go ahead and say it. That place that Andrew Luck threw the football around for a while a couple of years ago. Boy did he just make the KC Chiefs look ridiculous!
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

Cadet985

Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:26 am

In this economy, college isn't worth it. Many college grads have loans they can't pay because they can't get jobs. They're either overqualified or too inexperienced. This is the predicament I'm in now. Stay, finish out high school, and find a job that DOESN'T require a degree. You'll be better off in the long run than someone who's 28, $100k+ in debt, and can't find a job (me).

Marc

fr8mech

Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:29 am

I graduated high school at 16 years old and moved right into a junior college where I got my A&P, I then went off to work after getting my AAS at 18.

Looking back, I was socially immature for college. I really didn't fit in, expecially since the school I attended was more trade school than college and the folks attending were older than your typical college student, on average. My grades weren't that good because I was uncomfortable and that turned me off to further education. I barely passed my A&P exams.

I have since rectified that deficit at great expense of treasure and time.

If I had to do it again, I would have probably taken a year off and spent that year in Greece with family, and traveling through Europe with cousins.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.
Unless it's expressly prohibited, it's allowed.
You are not entitled to a public safe space.
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

kiwiinoz

Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:43 am

In my opinion, no. We are adults for a very long time. Relish in every experience that youth can bring. The advantage a "head start" gives you will likely be imperceptible in 20 years time

allegiantflyer
Topic Author

Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:57 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 4):
f your goal is to go off straight to a four-year college after graduating early, I'd steer you away from that. College is a young adult place and it is set up for young adults

If i do graduate early it will only be a year ahead. Would you consider 17 still a little too young?.

Quoting Revelation (Reply 5):
Don't know what college you want to go to? Hmmm, then why are you trying to get there ahead of time? Take your time and do your best to get it right.

Right now im thinking about the following.
Arizona State University (Im an Arizona resident)
University Of Alaska Anchorage
University Of Sao Paulo
University Of Toronto
Not that many schools offer aviation programs like i would like them to, heck i don't think U of T has anything. I really only added foreign schools because i think it would be a great experience. I do know USP has aviation classes.

And as a side note to let everyone know, I will be taking classes at a community College next year.

AR385

Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:52 am

A lot of information I have gathered about early graduates is that they become anti social once they start college and don't have a social life, or any.

As the Doc says, what happens is that they have trouble fitting in in due to their age. However I don´t think it is a general problem. Related to this, I was the third youngest student in my MBA class of 240 students. Average age was 29, I was 24. I don´t think I had trouble with social life as I made a bunch of friends for life, but now I do wish I had gotten some more real work experience before going to Grad School.

Have any of you done this or know of anyone that has? Please help out! thanks!

I had the chance to do it. In HS and University. In both cases, my father said: What´s the rush? You´ll have a long time ahead of you where you will look back and say what was the point? The Doc´s advice is great. If you are going to do it to get a gap year for something productive then by all means go ahead. But if you are doing it just to hang out for a year I´d rather advice you not to.

Quoting Cadet985 (Reply 6):
In this economy, college isn't worth it. Many college grads have loans they can't pay because they can't get jobs. They're either overqualified or too inexperienced. This is the predicament I'm in now. Stay, finish out high school, and find a job that DOESN'T require a degree. You'll be better off in the long run than someone who's 28, $100k+ in debt, and can't find a job (me).

I´m sorry you feel that way, but I don´t agree with you.

Quoting AllegiantFlyer (Reply 9):
University Of Sao Paulo

Be aware Latin American University Systems are a lot different from American "college" ones. You may not have a choice on which subjects to take, a "minor" and a "major" does not exist and many subjects that you see at the undergrad level are seen in the US system at the Grad level. It´s totally different. It´s also five years, at least in many places.

DocLightning

Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:20 am

Quoting AR385 (Reply 10):
Related to this, I was the third youngest student in my MBA class of 240 students. Average age was 29, I was 24.

Yeah, but 24-29 is a lot smaller of a difference than 15-18. You change a lot between 24 and 29, but not nearly as much as you change between 15 and 18.

Also, at 24 there is nothing really you can do that your classmates can't except rent a car without a penalty fee. You can go to bars, enter into legal contracts, open and close accounts, consent for medical treatment, etc. etc. etc.

Go ahead and say it. That place that Andrew Luck threw the football around for a while a couple of years ago. Boy did he just make the KC Chiefs look ridiculous!
If i do graduate early it will only be a year ahead. Would you consider 17 still a little too young?.

OK. If it's a year, what's the rush? Wait until you're 18 and you're a legal adult. Will save you a lot of hassle. Take that year to do something else. Get a job and pay your parents rent and learn the value of money. Go to junior college and get some college credits so you can graduate early if you want...or tack on a Masters in only one extra year (that's what I did...two extra letters in one year!). Travel. Collect experiences. Grow. Mature. Learn a new skill.

Then go to college.

I got a "year" off after college and before med school and I grew from a very boring and somewhat unhappy young man to a very interesting and confident young man in that year. I also got my Masters of Science.

"Stamford? Is that in Connecticut?"   

Your profile says you have a communications degree.

My advice would be: in this economy, go to college if you're going to get a B.S. People with STEM degrees have a very low unemployment rate. We also get discounts on car insurance, house insurance, and life insurance.

"We live in a world spectacularly dependent on science and technology in which few people understand science and technology." -Carl Sagan
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

AR385

Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:42 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 11):
Also, at 24 there is nothing really you can do that your classmates can't except rent a car without a penalty fee. You can go to bars, enter into legal contracts, open and close accounts, consent for medical treatment, etc. etc. etc.

I was talking about an academic setting. Sure, I could do all of the above. But the 29 year olds, which was the average (there were many over 30), got a lot more out of the whole two year experience than I did. Their class participation along with their work experience could be intimidating. They also would in very certain cases not take you seriously, and would make a point about it. That contributes to the "antisocial" thing described by the OP, and relates directly to it.

[Edited 2014-01-04 23:47:48]

airportugal310

Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:22 am

Quoting AR385 (Reply 12):

My boss, who is extremely smart and has the experience to back up his statements, would agree with you.

I asked him recently about MBA's actually and he was very straight forward in saying that being an older MBA student is far more beneficial to them in the long run.

In fact, many an MBA student who went right into those courses after their initial degree hasn't worked out well for them (or us) in the real world at our company. Could be many a reason, but just hasn't worked.
“They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.”

flymia

Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:25 am

From a fairly recent college student and someone who is currently in Grad School don't do it. Now if you want to graduate early and use that time to do something productive like studying abroad then I can see a lot of positives. But I would highly discourage you from going to a 4 year university a year early. Again I HIGHLY discourage you from doing it. Some people will think its dumb but going to college is just as much as a growing/social lesson than it is an academic one. Being a year younger than everyone will make some difference and I don't see why anyone would want to rush to grow up. I think graduating college early is a bit different and something which has advantages. I see zero advantages to going to college as 17y/o you aren't a legal adult. Your parents could still check your grades at 17 I guess. It just doesn't seem right. Relax, enjoy high school and then enjoy college it's a lot of fun and times you won't get back.

Also think about the parties/clubs/bars your college friends will go which require someone to be 18. Then think about possibly never being 21 in college (don't know when your birthday is).

To sum it up, I don't see any advantages. Slow down and enjoy being 16 is my advice! I never have met anyone who graduated high school early. College, yes. But you can cross that bridge when you need to.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

ThrottleHold

Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:26 am

I agree. Many people seem to think that going to university and getting a degree is the best thing to do. But look at the number of either unemployed graduates, or graduates with degrees that have no correlation to their career.

Personally, I had to no interest in going to university. I left school at 18 and started straight into flight training. Now, at 33, I'm a 777 Captain for a major international carrier, travelling the world and earning more money than any of my friends with Bachelor degrees, Masters or PhD's.

[Edited 2014-01-05 00:27:46]

MD11Engineer

Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:38 pm

Over here I would advise anybody to do an apprenticeship for a recognised trade first before going to university.
Unfortunately I didn´t but my younger brother first did an apprenticeship as an industrial electronics technician before going to university to study electrical engineering and business administration. He graduated those two courses with a masteral.
Having done the apprenticeship first gave him the following advantages:
1) He had a qualification to fall back into should he not have finished the university course.
2) While I spend my vacations and large part of the semesters working in menial jobs for peanuts to earn my living, he would always get wellpaid qualified jobs. Thus he had to work less time for the same money and could spend more time on studying.
Actually such a student job gave him the contacts, which he later used for work after he graduated.
3) The apprenticeship let him mature before he started at university, so that he was a lot more focused on the course.
4) It also gave him a lot of practical experience, which helped him when he studied electrical engineering.

I don´t know though if you have a comparable vocational training programme in the US.

I had to earn the living for a family while in university and eventually dropped out, to do an apprenticeship as an aircraft mechanic through the adult retraining route. Now as a licenced aircraft maintenance engineer I probably earn more than what I would have earned as a research physicist or chemist (which were my courses at university).
I tried to study for a BS in mechanical engineering a few years ago, but while I´m still enrolled in a distance learning university (and I find the books and papers they send me very interesting), my job doesn´t allow me to study seriously.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

Polot

Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:39 pm

Quoting ThrottleHold (Reply 15):
I agree. Many people seem to think that going to university and getting a degree is the best thing to do. But look at the number of either unemployed graduates, or graduates with degrees that have no correlation to their career.

It is a very good thing to do, but you have to be smart about it. Many people want to go to expensive private liberal art universities while earning crappy degrees. Choose a good major (that you want to do, not that your parents want you to do- I see that all the time with my students) and choose an affordable school. Prestigious institutions like the ivy leagues can set you up with connections, but in the end what you accomplish in terms of research/papers/internships etc matters most, especially if you are in a STEM major.

Cadet985

Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:59 pm

Quoting AR385 (Reply 10):
I´m sorry you feel that way, but I don´t agree with you.

Can I ask why?

Your profile says you have a communications degree.

Doc, I have a degree in communications, 5 months experience interning at CNN, and nobody is interested in me. No matter what job I apply for, I'm either overqualified or too inexperienced. I graduated college 5 years ago. Unfortunately, health issues prevent me from doing work such as working in retail (bad back which I've had two surgeries on and may need a third, screws and a plate in my ankle), and there's really nothing else I'm qualified to do. If I knew going into college what I know now, I wouldn't have gone to college. I would have taken out those loans and gotten my pilots license, and be working for an airline somewhere - even outside the US.

Marc

flymia

Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:11 pm

Personally, I had to no interest in going to university. I left school at 18 and started straight into flight training. Now, at 33, I'm a 777 Captain for a major international carrier, travelling the world and earning more money than any of my friends with Bachelor degrees, Masters or PhD's.

Wow, that's awesome for you. Especially the 777 captain part! By far my favorite airplane but it just doesn't work that way in the U.S. Do not get me wrong there are plenty of very sucessful people with no college degrees, I know some but for the most part college opens a lot of doors. In your case, very few, if any major U.S. airlines or cargo airline would even consider someone for a flying job without a 4 yar degree.

Marc

It really depends on what someone wants to do with their lives. If someone wants to be a lawyer, doctor, teacher, engineer they don't have a choice college is a requirement.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

Revelation

Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:42 pm

Sorry it turned out this way for you.

I know it's a bit rude to ask, but what was the ideal scenario that would have allowed for the $100k to be paid off?

To paraphrase Lloyd Benson (sp?), I've been to Stamford, and it's no Palo Alto!  

Glad it worked out for you, but it seems to me that in addition to a lot of hard work, you needed to have a great opportunity or two fall into your lap. Not sure these opportunities are available to the current sprogs.

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 16):
Over here I would advise anybody to do an apprenticeship for a recognised trade first before going to university.

Not to sure where the trade apprentice system is still flourishing. Here in the US it's almost unheard of. The best you can do is go to a technical high school and/or junior college and hope to run into someone recruiting for entry level positions. It's rare to find an actual apprenticeship program.

When I was growing up, my cousin in the UK took an apprenticeship with British Telecom that got him into the door. He stayed long enough (ten years or so) so that they earned back whatever they invested in him, and then him and a mate started their own TV repair business which grew into an IT firm that is doing quite well.

Seems to me that the apprenticeship system is a good thing for a country's economy. I wish our country did more of it.

DocLightning

Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:44 pm

Quoting flymia (Reply 19):
It really depends on what someone wants to do with their lives. If someone wants to be a lawyer, doctor, teacher, engineer they don't have a choice college is a requirement.

Exactly. I think that, in spite of what all the arts people want to see, we are going to see an increasing proportion of college degrees go to STEM fields. And that is fine with me. The more the populace knows about science, the better.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

bjorn14

Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:30 pm

I wouldn't do it. If you've got a hankering to go to college then see if your HS will accept those CC credits towrds your diploma and then enter college at your normal time. Kills two birds with one stone. I'd also be careful about attending a foreign school. It may look cool on the CV but employers maybe reluctant about the education you got there. Good luck.
"I want to know the voice of God the rest is just details" --A. Einstein

us330

Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:04 pm

Would you consider 17 still a little too young?.

Yes. I strongly suggest that you listen to both Doc and PacNWJet's advice. If you are going to graduate from high school early, go to community college, find some part time job or volunteer during that "gap year." If you intend on going to a field where specific undergraduate class grades matter (ie medical school w/organic chemistry, or any STEM masters program), take a class in community college that you would take in undergrad. If you don't do as well as you like, then you don't have to try to get credit for it, and take it again at your four year institution (with the benefit of having become familiar with the material).

University Of Sao Paulo
University Of Toronto
Not that many schools offer aviation programs like i would like them to, heck i don't think U of T has anything. I really only added foreign schools because i think it would be a great experience

With the exception of Canadian schools and Scottish schools (ie St Andrews), I would dissuade you from attending a foreign institution as your primary institution for your bachelor's degree. Foreign universities can be very dissimilar to what Americans are used to. Study abroad for a semester or a year instead.

college isn't worth it. Many college grads have loans they can't pay because they can't get jobs. They're either overqualified or too inexperienced. This is the predicament I'm in now. Stay, finish out high school, and find a job that DOESN'T require a degree.

I disagree. Allegiant should educate himself about which schools are "trap" schools--undergraduate institutions with costs approaching some of the elite schools, but lacking the prestige to match--and which schools still provide relatively good value.

Think in-state public institutions (for Allegiant, all Arizona state schools), or some private schools that offer scholarships (look for grants, not loans). Avoid out of state public institutions unless scholarship money is offered. And always read the fine print on the scholarship money!

Cadet, I don't mean to dismiss your plight--I am someone in your age range (I haven't updated my profile in ages), and know how tough it has been for our generation since 2008--I just wanted to address your comment, and provide Allegiant with some additional information.

Flighty

Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:07 pm

My advice is go to a state school, in-state, and graduate as soon as you can. Study something that really, really intrigues you.

Your time is precious.

Some people love college, but I was really partied out after high school. What I wanted at 18 was a nice place to live, a fun job and lots of money, and to drink in nice bars. Not to live in some dorm room cramming for tests, then drink in some filthy basement. One is definitely better than the other, iMO. I never understood the point of college - but I did it just because that's what you have to do. And it is, so do it - and if you enjoy it, that's great.

DeltaMD90

Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:20 pm

That is not necessarily true. While I'm big on telling people about trades and knowing that college isn't fo everyone, you can still get a good degree and a great job these days, it can just be harder especially if you get the wrong degree. I'm in an age group where most my friends are recent college grads and off the top of my head, I can't think of anyone unemployed or underemployed, maybe if I thought about it a while I could. Point is, they all got good jobs, it's not impossible.

brilondon

Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:23 pm

You asked for this so I will give it to you. Starting college early doesn't really benefit you except you will be one of the youngest people there and most at that age will ignore you. Your experience would be better spent say on a mission trip through your church for the year or if you are not religious find a charity that needs people to help them out abroad and then you will be that much more educated and advanced in your thinking and I believe that you will benefit much more from "life experience" than if you stayed in high school.
Rush for ever; Yankees all the way!!

Revelation

Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:00 pm

Quoting Flighty (Reply 24):
Some people love college, but I was really partied out after high school. What I wanted at 18 was a nice place to live, a fun job and lots of money, and to drink in nice bars. Not to live in some dorm room cramming for tests, then drink in some filthy basement. One is definitely better than the other, iMO. I never understood the point of college - but I did it just because that's what you have to do. And it is, so do it - and if you enjoy it, that's great.

One of my profs told me the point of college was to learn how to learn. At the time (after being in school since age 4) I thought he was talking crap but I was wrong. I really didn't learn how to learn till the successes and failures of my undergrad days. I imbibed a fair amount but knew how to do it in proportion. I never crammed for tests, I knew the shit or I didn't know the shit. I had countless life experiences back then that I would not trade for any I've had since.

I think that's the point. In college you are surrounded by a bunch of other young people all growing like crazy, all going through the same stuff together. Once you leave for the 'real world' you'll be back amongst the spectrum of the ages, young'uns still partying and scraping it together to get to work, mid-agers figuring out what it is to be a spouse and having a family, oldsters trying to make a difference before they pack it in, etc. Don't rush the college days. You'll never be in such a dynamic environment ever again. Make the most of it. Get as much nookie as you can!  

MD-90

Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:08 am

Philip Rivers finished high school in December so he could enroll at NC State and go through spring practice with the team. He came back and walked in May with the rest of his class but early graduation worked well for him since he was able to start playing that fall as a true freshman.

Cadet985

Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:29 am

Quoting Revelation (Reply 20):
I know it's a bit rude to ask, but what was the ideal scenario that would have allowed for the $100k to be paid off?

Finding a job, one that I could medically handle that would pay me enough to cover my bills, loan payments (Sallie Mae wants $1200.00/month from me), and give me enough to build a tiny savings.

I'm not looking for a six or seven figure job at all. I'm not entitled to that. I don't have the experience or connections, and even if I had the connections, I wouldn't exploit them for a job that I'm not experienced enough for.

Marc

varigb707

Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:31 am

they become anti social once they start college and don't have a social life

First what is your priority?
I'd say, go for it and graduate high school. As soon as you can, start college. As far as having a social life, or rather, becoming "anti-social", forget about it or forget what others may think about you.

I have a cousin who graduated college at age 17. Yes, 17!! ( She's one of those geniuses). She couldn't careless what her social life was at that time and focused on her graduation. Today, shes has a good job, family and a social life.

good luck.
First, I said 'hey' and then I said 'now'. "Hey Now!" - Hank K.

DocLightning

Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:02 am

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 25):
I'm in an age group where most my friends are recent college grads and off the top of my head, I can't think of anyone unemployed or underemployed, maybe if I thought about it a while I could. Point is, they all got good jobs, it's not impossible.

I also know a lot of employed recent college grads. They might not be employed in the city of their choice, but they are gainfully employed. Most of them are engineers and other sorts of scientists. Some are in business.

Having a degree isn't enough. You need to have a useful degree (not Medieval Studies...although I know a History major who was one of the first people to go to work for an obscure little start-up called Twitter). It needs to be from a good school with some name recognition (not necessarily private). You need to be able to hold up some excellent grades.

Now, if you are really fascinated by Art History, by all means major in that...but double major in something that's going to get you a job.

Just having a degree isn't enough.

Quoting Revelation (Reply 27):
One of my profs told me the point of college was to learn how to learn.

It's about a lot of things. But ideally, you go into it a kid and you come out of it an educated young adult. Between my Freshman and Senior years, my growth, social, mental, and physical, were truly dramatic.

There is a lot more to college than classes and books.

Quoting Revelation (Reply 27):
I think that's the point. In college you are surrounded by a bunch of other young people all growing like crazy, all going through the same stuff together

Exactly! And it's great fun! And it should be! It was the only time in my life that I really loved school. And because of that, I learned like crazy.

Quoting us330 (Reply 23):
If you intend on going to a field where specific undergraduate class grades matter (ie medical school w/organic chemistry, or any STEM masters program), take a class in community college that you would take in undergrad. If you don't do as well as you like, then you don't have to try to get credit for it, and take it again at your four year institution (with the benefit of having become familiar with the material).

Let me give you one example of what you could do: Take prereq classes for your major in community college. Then, as a Freshman go in with Sophomore standing and take sophomore classes. During your fourth year, take graduate-level courses and score a Masters. Bam! 22yo with a Masters degree!

Then again, I took mostly repeat courses my first term in college. That was my "ease-in."

Quoting MD-90 (Reply 28):
Philip Rivers

Oh dear! Am I supposed to know who that is?
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

Kaphias

Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:16 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 31):
Now, if you are really fascinated by Art History, by all means major in that...but double major in something that's going to get you a job.

Absolutely some of the best advice here. A minor isn't as good, of course, but also helps. And do both degrees at the same school, at the same time, as several classes may count towards both majors depending on how similar they are. My major is architecture, but I'm getting a minor in construction management because I like it, my internship allows me to gain work experience in both fields, and it makes me more marketable. A double major would be nice, but as I already have to get a masters for architecture, I'm not considering the double for the time being. In your case, (I believe you said you're doing aviation?) a degree such as business may be a good combination, or even something in an engineering field. Ask around, talk to professionals in the field, not only pilots but everyone from business owners to mechanics.

Flighty

Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:17 pm

Let me give you one example of what you could do: Take prereq classes for your major in community college. Then, as a Freshman go in with Sophomore standing and take sophomore classes. During your fourth year, take graduate-level courses and score a Masters. Bam! 22yo with a Masters degree!

If I could do college over again, that's what I would do. .

The highest tier HS grads should be aiming not for Harvard, but for a master's degree by age 22 at the latest, and invest the $200k private tuition in the market.

Bam, master's degree and well on your way to being a millionaire. While the Harvard grad is a year or two older, has zero dollars in the bank, and a bachelor's.

If you work corporate, rising younger pays drastic dividends throughout your career. You'll always be the boss of people who rose just a bit more slowly than you, and you'll earn millions more. Youth is seen as a measure of evident talent.

flymia

Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:31 pm

Quoting Flighty (Reply 33):

I know a few Harvard Grads, only undergrad. The ones who don't mind working a ton and want to make money are all making $150k + right out of college. If someone has the opportunity to go to Harvard or another top 5-7 school they go. Unless their goal is to be a teacher or something like that then yes it's a waste of money. It all depends on what a person wants to do.

AR385

Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:11 pm

Quoting Flighty (Reply 33):
If you work corporate, rising younger pays drastic dividends throughout your career. You'll always be the boss of people who rose just a bit more slowly than you, and you'll earn millions more. Youth is seen as a measure of evident talent.

ENRON comes to mind.

And a few others more recent.

Seriously, your advice is great but I think it´s a bit on the high side. Some Post-Grad degrees can´t be accessed that young or are not really useful as young. You also have to be wise about what Corporate world you go into. Forget the airlines, for example, if you are looking for "millions."

DeltaMD90

Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:24 pm

Having a degree isn't enough. You need to have a useful degree (not Medieval Studies...although I know a History major who was one of the first people to go to work for an obscure little start-up called Twitter). It needs to be from a good school with some name recognition (not necessarily private). You need to be able to hold up some excellent grades.

Exactly, and on top of that, you need the drive to get what you want. Getting an aerospace engineer degree is great but if you have no confidence, drive, and/or have some social problems, it can be very difficult. Some of those traits are what you're stuck with but there is actually a lot you can do to improve yourself. It's kind of a paradox, you need some drive/confidence to realize you can achieve goals which in turn gives you more drive and confidence. Having a realistic can-do attitude gets you far in life even if you don't think you can achieve much

Yup again. I actually argue that it is smart for very certain people to get degrees like Art History but you need a TON of drive, ambition, and most likely connections and a bit of luck to pull it off. No, get a good solid job and pursue your interest on the side, network and hey, maybe you'll get that artsy job down the road. If not, you have a good job to fallback on and keep

casinterest

Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:38 pm

If you remember a few months ago i was asking advice on studying abroad. Unfortunately i can no longer do that. (My school district said that i would literally receive zero credits for the time spent abroad even though ill be doing schoolwork while there). So a few week ago i realized that since im already 2.5 credits ahead of where im supposed to be academically, I should think about graduating early and getting a head start on college. but that's a lot of work, so im wondering if you guys think its worth the effort. A lot of information I have gathered about early graduates is that they become anti social once they start college and don't have a social life, or any. Have any of you done this or know of anyone that has? Please help out! thanks!

I am not sure that graduating early should be a goal. I am a big fan of "Dual Enrollment" though. In my high school days, you could dual enroll in the local community college to get credits for high school and college at the same time. IE, you get the Calc/ biology/ Physics credits without having to take the AP exams. It is a good experience, and it doesn't necessarily leave you socially separated. If anything it helps you bridge the gap.

I went to school with a person that turned 16 a few weeks prior to graduation. They skipped some early elementary grades, but 17 is not too young.

And as a side note to let everyone know, I will be taking classes at a community College next year.

ahh. continue on this path. I don't think graduating from high school early should be the goal. Education should be the goal towards your possible career path. Unlike you, I didn't figure out my true major until the 2nd year of college. I thought I knew it, but it kept changing as I got older.
Where ever you go, there you are.

chrisair

Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:02 pm

University Of Sao Paulo
University Of Toronto

That's quite the list. I wouldn't go to ASU early. No way in hell. You'll stick out like a sore thumb. Go take classes at Rio Salado or MCC and transfer them over to ASU. If you do graduate early, get a job to fill your free time.

If you call a Junior university prestigious, that's your problem. :-p GO BEARS!

Quoting Cadet985 (Reply 18):
I have a degree in communications, 5 months experience interning at CNN, and nobody is interested in me. No matter what job I apply for, I'm either overqualified or too inexperienced.

There's your problem. You have FIVE MONTHS of experience in your field. Why weren't you doing internships during your time in college? Or working for the student TV/radio/newspaper?

Quoting Kaphias (Reply 32):
Ask around, talk to professionals in the field, not only pilots but everyone from business owners to mechanics.

THIS is great advice. Surround yourself with successful people in the field you want to go to. It took me four years working at my previous job to realize there's no way things were going to get better. I'm still great friends with everyone there and I tell any student looking to enter that particular field to think long and hard about it.

Cadet985

Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:27 pm

Quoting chrisair (Reply 38):
There's your problem. You have FIVE MONTHS of experience in your field. Why weren't you doing internships during your time in college? Or working for the student TV/radio/newspaper?

That 5 months was an internship (and a prestigious one at that), and I was on the student radio station for the entire time I was in college - 5 years as DJ, and during those 5 years I also served as news director for one year.. Still no help.

Marc.

us330

Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:42 pm

You need to have a useful degree (not Medieval Studies...although I know a History major who was one of the first people to go to work for an obscure little start-up called Twitter).

The more prestigious the school, the broader the definition of "useful degree." You can major in the Classics at Harvard and still come out okay.

Quoting flymia (Reply 34):
The ones who don't mind working a ton and want to make money are all making $150k + right out of college

Not in straight base salary. Maybe if you take into account bonuses.

If someone has the opportunity to go to Harvard or another top 5-7 school they go. Unless their goal is to be a teacher or something like that then yes it's a waste of money

I have plenty of friends who attended a top 10 school who are pursuing less than financially lucrative career paths, and they would disagree with that. The top schools have considerable endowments and can be rather generous with financial aid and grants.

DocLightning

Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:40 am

Quoting us330 (Reply 40):
The more prestigious the school, the broader the definition of "useful degree." You can major in the Classics at Harvard and still come out okay.

Good point. Said History major I mentioned is a fellow Stanford alum.

If you call a Junior university prestigious, that's your problem. :-p GO BEARS!
http://news.stanford.edu/thedish/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Beat-Cal-four.jpg
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

flymia

Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:26 am

Not in straight base salary. Maybe if you take into account bonuses.

Whatever, these guys I know are all making $100k + right out of Harvard and Penn. I will be lucky to get a job making $80k out of law school.

I have plenty of friends who attended a top 10 school who are pursuing less than financially lucrative career paths, and they would disagree with that. The top schools have considerable endowments and can be rather generous with financial aid and grants.

Well yes. If you get aid then its a no brainer. I'm speaking of people who have to pay tuition.

Kaphias

Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:25 am

Quoting flymia (Reply 42):
I will be lucky to get a job making $80k out of law school.

And I'll be making $45k... with a masters degree in architecture. Another one of those majors where the degree doesn't mean hardly anything until you pass the board exam. And even then, $80k is average. Good thing I enjoy it.

MD-90

Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:14 am

Oh dear! Am I supposed to know who that is?

He's quarterback of the nearby San Diego Chargers.

allegiantflyer
Topic Author

Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:23 am

That's quite the list. I wouldn't go to ASU early. No way in hell. You'll stick out like a sore thumb. Go take classes at Rio Salado or MCC and transfer them over to ASU. If you do graduate early, get a job to fill your free time.

whats wrong with ASU?

Flighty

Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:30 am

The ones who don't mind working a ton and want to make money are all making $150k right out of college. If someone has the opportunity to go to Harvard or another top 5-7 school they go.

That's unlikely. Even Harvard MBA and Law (perhaps even Med) do not average such a high income soon after graduation.

But, yes. Recent college graduates with good skills can make 150 in tech, private equity, trading desks etc. From any school. It's just not likely, or easy.

DocLightning

Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:13 pm

Quoting AllegiantFlyer (Reply 45):
whats wrong with ASU?

It's a very classical large state school. The undergrads are by and large 18-22 with a few older ones. There's a large party scene. Lots of beer and fake boobs. It's a lot of fun, I hear (not my scene) but if you're not even 18 yet, you'll basically be excluded from all of it.

It's also an academically good school, so I'm by no means pooh-poohing it. But it certainly has a "Ken & Barbie" party school reputation.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

flymia

Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:20 pm

Quoting Kaphias (Reply 43):
Good thing I enjoy it

As important as making money is, especially if one has a family or plans to have one this is the most important thing. I would take a pay cut if it was for a job which I really enjoyed and love doing no doubt about it. At least to start, that's for sure.

GAIsweetGAI

Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:55 am

I'll echo what some people have said here - you have to look at higher education with a Machiavellian perspective, i.e. that it's primarily a means to an end, the end being a job that you enjoy, that is sustainable (i.e. that will allow you to make a decent living), and that you can actually get. Going to college for the sake of going to college can be a waste of time, but not going to college at all can be a wasted opportunity. (Which I realize, as I type this, doesn't mean much. Oops!)

Basically, what you probably need to do at this point is set priorities. Looking for a fun social life? Hang out in high school until the end, and chill through college. Don't quite know what degree you want? Community college or university. Know precisely what university and degree you want? Go for it. Tired of school? You'll probably also be tired of college soon enough, so plow through it as quickly as you can. Want to actually fit in with the rest of the college students? I'd say take your time with high school.

Now, regarding foreign experience - you're right, if you're not receiving any credit for it, and if it's not a huge name like Oxford, it's probably not worth the effort. But do try to go spend some time abroad at some point in your college career. It'll be a lot of fun.

FWIW, I graduated high school early because I skipped a grade way back when. I didn't feel out of place when I started "undergrad" (bad translation, but I have yet to find something better), but that's because I went to France where nobody drives and everybody drinks anyway, and to a place where half of the students were a year early as well. And then I found out that no matter how hard I tried to explain that I was a US citizen, I couldn't get an aerospace engineering internship with a French education. (I'm guessing that the fact that the summer break is 2 months rather than 3 didn't help.) I needed a US degree to change that. Looking back, I realize I was fairly lucky to go through all this, and I don't regret it much. But I could've made my life a bit simpler. 
"There is an art, or rather a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."