Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

HT
Topic Author

Windows XP Support Ends 04/2014. What Do You Do?

Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:15 am

As my two notebook computers are running Windows XP and they had problems recently to update any bug fixes from Microsoft I found out that Microsoft's support will end 08-APR-2014.

The older machine is way too old (= lacks computing performance) to upgrade to any newer Windows version.
The younger (but still "outdated") machine should do a bit better, however it also runs fine on a parallel installation of Xubuntu (but within the Windows partition of the hard disk).

Overall, what are your plans for computers that still run MS Windows XP ?
- Continue running it and disregard the fact that no more security updates will be published ?
- Upgrade to a newer version of Windows ? --> #7 or #8 ?
- Switch to a different OS ?
- Throw away computer ?

One problem I see to shelve Windows as OS completely on both of my computers is, that the official tax declaration software ("Elster") here in Germany is reported to still do not running properly under (X/K)Ubuntu using WINE.
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

varigb707

RE: Windows XP Support Ends 04/2014. What Do You Do?

Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:28 am

Quoting HT (Thread starter):

I'm going to use my XP for a bit of storage and watch movies. Nothing else.

Windows XP Support Ends 04/2014. What Do You Do?  
First, I said 'hey' and then I said 'now'. "Hey Now!" - Hank K.

Aesma

Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:43 pm

How often do you use that tax software ? Have you tried running XP on top of Linux using virtualization instead of wine ? It might be slow but if it's just for filling a form it could suffice.

My parents' computer runs XP despite the computer being powerful (Intel quad core, 4GB RAM, 240GB SSD, 24" screen) because my mother uses a lot of specialized software that take a long time before being updated, but now I believe they're all compatible with newer windows so I'll transition it to 7 or 8.1.

My laptop is almost unusable with XP already because the HDD has slowed to a crawl, I found out I can put an SSD inside with a mSATA to PATA converter, I might do that and upgrade it to 7, or some Linux/Unix, it's not decided yet since I use it very little, and should get a work laptop next month.

I also run XP on my main destkop, but only virtualized through VMware or "XP Mode" included in 7 Ultimate, because for some reason silverlight doesn't work on my 7 install and I really can't be bothered to start afresh, it takes far too long to reinstall everything. I could just do the same with a 7 virtual machine.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Francoflier

Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:11 pm

XP is barely being actualized as it is. I see no major change happening in the near future that would prevent me from using it on the machines where I have it installed.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

ltbewr

Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:33 pm

I know where I work we have to replace most computers as were XP based and since cannot get any upgrades to them and some programs we use will no longer be supported.

Asturias

Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:52 pm

What do I do? Nothing.

I'm running Windows 8.1 Pro and it is by far the best Microsoft OS in history, extremely stable, fast, non-cluttered, compatible and all-round solid.

It was the one thing that made me switch from the Mac to Windows, it's that good. XP is history, let it go.
Tonight we fly

einsteinboricua

Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:09 pm

I did a presentation on this for a course I took this past semester. People can still use XP. It's not the end of the world, but don't expect Windows to release any other fixes or patches. There was talk to make MS consider making XP open so that others can release patches on their behalf, but MS's goal is simply to get people to move up.

I have a laptop I barely use that runs XP. I thought about upgrading it to Vista, but Vista was just an absolute mess and the laptop is not capable of running Windows 7.

So, that laptop will remain back home as the backup computer for my backup computer. Currently, my Mac and my Acer (Win 7) are the frontrunners, but I've placed the Acer as the second unit. That Dell laptop would be the 3rd (and frankly, it's so old I wouldn't even touch it again).

Quoting Asturias (Reply 5):
I'm running Windows 8.1 Pro and it is by far the best Microsoft OS in history

To each their own, I guess. I found Win8 to be just a tablet version of Windows 7. It's perfect if you have a touchscreen computer, but it doesn't justify the upgrade from Win7.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

David L

Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:23 pm

I'm running Windows 8.1 Pro and it is by far the best Microsoft OS in history, extremely stable, fast, non-cluttered, compatible and all-round solid.

How does the 8.1 upgrade perform as a serious desktop interface? I keep seeing conflicting reports about how easy it is to use in the "traditional" way. That's what's putting me off and keeping me on Windows 7. I don't want to use my desktop like a clumsy tablet.

Asturias

Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:31 pm

Quoting David L (Reply 7):
How does the 8.1 upgrade perform as a serious desktop interface? I keep seeing conflicting reports about how easy it is to use in the "traditional" way. That's what's putting me off and keeping me on Windows 7. I don't want to use my desktop like a clumsy tablet.

In a word: admirably.

The "modern" interface exists only as much as the user prefers. I for one, never really see any "modern" interface, just the serious desktop interface.

The Start screen is perhaps the only thing I use of the "modern" interface, and is essentially a highly customizable and flexible launcher. But every aspect of the new interface can be turned off or made inconsequential.

I run a pretty traditional tower with a 27" monitor (non-touch) and I can't see any indication that the OS would run better with touch capabilities, quite the contrary.

Windows 8.1 allows the user to control his or her experience and enjoy the highly polished OS as a traditional desktop user. I can't describe the awkwardness it is to return to Windows 7 after using 8.1 for a period of time, let alone Windows XP which seems in comparison to be a fine attempt by an amateur.
Tonight we fly

Revelation

Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:47 pm

One problem I see to shelve Windows as OS completely on both of my computers is, that the official tax declaration software ("Elster") here in Germany is reported to still do not running properly under (X/K)Ubuntu using WINE.
-HT

As mentioned above, you can try a virtual machine instead.

Or you can keep a windows xp partition and use a hard disk boot manager and/or external usb to boot into it.

One certainly can teach the linux 'grub' program to boot a windows partition as well as its own linux partitions.

The documents are a bit cryptic, but one can eventually get it to work.

Upgrade to a newer version of Windows ? --> #7 or #8 ?

I'm very happy with 7 and see no reason (yet) to even try 8.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

TLG

Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:51 pm

At work we waited until Windows 8.1 was released to upgrade from Windows 7. Windows 8 at release seemed like a beta. That said, I used it at home and I liked it. With 8.1 you can pretty much completely avoid the Modern UI. W8 is faster than 7, more stable, and a lot of its features are easier to access. The media has not been kind to W8. While at first a bit of the negativity was warranted, it's not anymore. I cannot think of a single advantage of W7 over W8.1. And yes, I am intimately familiar with all OSs from XP on up. I work in PC repair.

XP's support ending doesn't mean that it won't work on 08-APR-2014, but no more patches will be released. XP was already deficient in security, and it will become very vulnerable very quickly. It's time to upgrade folks!

[Edited 2014-01-11 07:53:13]

[Edited 2014-01-11 07:54:48]

David L

Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:06 pm

Quoting Asturias (Reply 8):
Quoting TLG (Reply 10):

Thanks. Probably time to take the plunge then.

SpaceshipDC10

Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:46 pm

As my two notebook computers are running Windows XP and they had problems recently to update any bug fixes from Microsoft I found out that Microsoft's support will end 08-APR-2014.

I knew they had announced it sometime ago and no later than yesterday I found out that it's going to be in less than three months already.

My current computer is a dinosaur that wasn't planned for XP. Since a couple of months it has started to react weirdly to Windows' updates and started to be real slow. Thus every 30 days I have to reinstall the OS and all the softwares. What are my plans? Simply to get a new computer, haven't yet decided between Apple and MS but in the end I may have to upgrade my web connection from the current ADSL.

PacNWjet

Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:52 pm

I had an old HP Mini netbook running Windows XP to use at our weekend beach condo. Over Christmas I replaced that with an Asus Transformer Book tablet/netbook all-in-one running Windows 8.1. I could have upgraded the old HP to Windows 7 but that would have cost me some money and the machine was slow already. I picked up the Asus for a mere $329 on sale so making the switch was a no-brainer. I had heard all the negative reviews of Windows 8.1 and was afraid it would be a long learning curve to adapt to the new operating system but, guess what, learning 8.1 was a breeze and I was all up and running on the new machine in one day. So far I am very happy.

Aesma

Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:41 pm

Well the problem with 8/8.1 is that you lose the start button and you get something messy, that wants to sell you stuff and force you to create a Microsoft account, instead. If that doesn't bother you, go with it.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

David L

Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:09 pm

Quoting Aesma (Reply 14):
Well the problem with 8/8.1 is that you lose the start button

I thought the Start button was reintroduced in 8.1. *
and you get something messy, that wants to sell you stuff and force you to create a Microsoft account

Can't that be disabled?

*Edit: on second thoughts, perhaps it was just partially reintroduced, e.g. without the program selector, which I could live without.

[Edited 2014-01-11 10:15:25]

Aesma

Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:45 pm

The start button just shows the new full screen launcher, from what I've seen. There may be ways to disable that, get a real start menu back (Classic Shell), but that's not what Microsoft is selling.

Asturias

Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:51 am

Well the problem with 8/8.1 is that you lose the start button and you get something messy, that wants to sell you stuff and force you to create a Microsoft account, instead. If that doesn't bother you, go with it.

The Start button is (somewhat unnecessarily) back in Windows 8.1, but the Start Menu is (thank the maker) not.

The Start Menu was a questionable UI element from the get go, but became even more questionable when it started to collect zounds of cluttered apps and icons like flypaper. Furthermore it is and was unusable for anything other than a mouse and even then, well... usable is a wide and fuzzy concept.

If one wants the Start Menu in Windows 8.1 one can simply buy an app that makes that happen, but the least important part of the OS is the Start Menu, Start Screen or the Start Button.

Get. Over. It. Solve the problem or deal with it, but it just isn't credible when people denounce the entire OS because one feature (that can be added) isn't there by default.
Tonight we fly

PacNWjet

Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:20 am

Quoting Asturias (Reply 17):
The Start Menu was a questionable UI element from the get go, but became even more questionable when it started to collect zounds of cluttered apps and icons like flypaper. Furthermore it is and was unusable for anything other than a mouse and even then, well... usable is a wide and fuzzy concept.

The new Start page in Windows 8/8.1 actually makes much more sense than the old Programs menu in previous versions of Windows. The new Start page can be customized with icons of the programs you use most frequently. Also, the icons can be grouped together and sized in ways that are most helpful to each user. At first I missed the old Programs menu but that was for about one day. Now that I am working with Windows 8.1 on my new tablet/notebook I see the utility of going to my customized Start page to open programs rather than scrolling through the cluttered Programs menu in older versions of Windows.

HT
Topic Author

Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:37 am

Thanks for all replies.
I think for the time being I will continue to run XP on the dinosaur, as Xubuntu had had problems to find the WiFi on that machine when I checked it out.
For the newer one, as long as nothing serious happens, I will continue to dual-boot Xubuntu primarily, as I don't fancy to reorganize two OS's with all applications (and data) on the single HDD.
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

Aesma

Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:11 am

Well of course I'm already needing Classic Shell and another one called True Launch Bar to get 7 to my liking, on top of several edits of the registry, basically the classic Win98 start menu (with added search/text launch) and a lateral launch bar for my preferred programs (dating back to at least XP, removed in Vista or 7). As for the programs menu, with small icons it fills one of my screens entirely (that is a 1920*1200 screen) so a couple of big tiles are completely useless. If the goal is/was only to cater to light users of their computers, most were already buying windows with their cheap computers anyway, so I'm not sure what has been accomplished. I'm pretty sure surface tablets are a complete commercial disaster. I work at a Global 500 company in the IT department and nobody is even talking about upgrading to 8/8.1.

And don't get me started on the awfulness of Office 2013 ! Everything is white, my eyes hurt.

David L

Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:27 am

The Start button is (somewhat unnecessarily) back in Windows 8.1

Looking at some reviews, it seems the Start button has the features I use a lot, such as restarting, signing out, Control Panel, etc. It also looks as though you can configure the Start screen as a useful program launcher instead of chunky tiles.

I need to replace a dodgy hard disk first, then upgrade the motherboard and CPU (not because of Windows 8). After that I think I'm good to go.

If one wants the Start Menu in Windows 8.1 one can simply buy an app that makes that happen

I think there are some free options, too.

Asturias

Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:42 am

Quoting David L (Reply 21):
Looking at some reviews, it seems the Start button has the features I use a lot, such as restarting, signing out, Control Panel, etc. It also looks as though you can configure the Start screen as a useful program launcher instead of chunky tiles.

Quite so. Those features are most welcome! And are presented in a menu!   There should be something to love for everyone.

I need to replace a dodgy hard disk first, then upgrade the motherboard and CPU (not because of Windows 8). After that I think I'm good to go.

Great! Now, we all being budget oriented in one way or another, the thing I am happiest with is getting the 8 core CPU. Quad core or Octo-core is best computing experience I have ever had.

Especially in modern OSs (all of them)

I think there are some free options, too.

Very true. Ever better  
Tonight we fly

Asturias

Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:55 am

Quoting Aesma (Reply 20):
I work at a Global 500 company in the IT department and nobody is even talking about upgrading to 8/8.1.

Yeah I know them, they'd rather sacrifice bleeding through exploits, incompatibilities in the future and long nights for the IT department rather than spend money on new software.

Also often called "if it works don't fix it" mentality, which given a static work environment makes perfect sense, but becomes less and less defensible in the ever changing and adapting world of a growing company - let alone a Fortune 500 company.

As for the programs menu, with small icons it fills one of my screens entirely (that is a 1920*1200 screen) so a couple of big tiles are completely useless.

I use a 2560x1440 screen and you know, the smallest icons on the Start Screen are not that big - large enough to visually identify, small enough to keep 512 different icons on one screen.

But then, if that isn't enough, finding apps is just a matter of typing the first two letters in its name, and boom you find it.

So the Start Screen presents a reasonable app limit of half a thousand apps (depending on screen resolution of course) and the rest of everything, be it apps, documents, whatever is reachable from the Start Screen with two or three keystrokes.

And you can get the Start Menu back through 3rd party apps if it is so vital to one's computing experience  
Tonight we fly

TLG

Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:42 pm

If one wants the Start Menu in Windows 8.1 one can simply buy an app that makes that happen, but the least important part of the OS is the Start Menu, Start Screen or the Start Button.

Rumors are that the traditional Start menu is coming back with Windows 8.2 (or whatever the next update will be called). As far as I know it's only a rumor at this point, so take it with a grain of salt.

I work at a Global 500 company in the IT department and nobody is even talking about upgrading to 8/8.1.

Lots of businesses have just upgraded from XP to 7. If a business is on Windows 7, quite frankly there's no good reason to upgrade to 8 in most cases. And as a repair technician, I can tell you that 8 makes our job more difficult in some ways, due to the bootloader being locked down.

Revelation

Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:50 pm

Quoting TLG (Reply 24):
And as a repair technician, I can tell you that 8 makes our job more difficult in some ways, due to the bootloader being locked down.

Unfortunately for you, this is the way things are going to be going forward. The need to secure the bios, bootloader, etc has been known for a very long time. Given recent Revelations (sic) about what Snowden's previous employers have been doing for quite a while, we will see an even more complete deployment of secure boot technology in the near future.

In the past, one might be able to avoid it because it is such a pain, but now the risk/reward ratio has changed due to increased amount of (known) risk. Of course it doesn't hurt that it also means that vendors can eliminate software bootlegging, yet on the other hand they can pretty much have total veto power on what software you can or cannot run on the hardware you buy.

Such veto power is something that vendors have wanted for a very long time, and I'm concerned about where it may be taking us.

Asturias

Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:12 pm

Quoting TLG (Reply 24):
Rumors are that the traditional Start menu is coming back with Windows 8.2 (or whatever the next update will be called). As far as I know it's only a rumor at this point, so take it with a grain of salt.

Indeed, I have heard the same rumors myself, and don't really know what to make of them. Windows runs on tablets, Start Menu does not function on tablets, as seen on Windows 7 on tablets.

Perhaps Microsoft is mulling over whether or not the Start Menu can be implemented as an option, and perhaps it can, but I think it is inconsequential meanderings at Redmond, seeing as a Start Menu can be installed easily by third party developers.

The Start Menu was depreciated after studies showed that barely anyone was actually using it, favoring other ways to launch apps and interact with the OS, and I suspect even fewer would use it if it was re-introduced with the familiar, highly customizable and visual Start Screen as the "competition".

The next major update to Windows is scheduled for 2015 and by that time people won't even remember the Start Menu as anything except that "old menu thing" in "old Windows". Not that I claim to be some Nostradamus, but by mid 2015 time will have passed the venerable Start Menu by.

What I'd like to see in the next (major or minor) Windows update is contextual window scrolling with the mouse, i.e. that one scrolls over the window or part of window that the mouse is currently over - whether or not that part of the window is active or not.

As seen in most other OSs, such as Linux and OS X.
Tonight we fly

TLG

Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:09 pm

Quoting Asturias (Reply 26):
The Start Menu was depreciated after studies showed that barely anyone was actually using it, favoring other ways to launch apps and interact with the OS, and I suspect even fewer would use it if it was re-introduced with the familiar, highly customizable and visual Start Screen as the "competition".

The problem with the Start Screen is that it's such a jolting change when you click the Start button. Designers look for things that are distracting, and that definitely is. It helped a bit to allow the desktop wallpaper to apply in the Start Screen with the 8.1 update, but it's still instantly transporting the user to a totally different world with one click. We can think of it as a full screen Start Menu, but the "shock" is the issue. That needs to be minimized somehow.

Asturias

Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:14 am

Quoting TLG (Reply 27):
The problem with the Start Screen is that it's such a jolting change when you click the Start button. Designers look for things that are distracting, and that definitely is. It helped a bit to allow the desktop wallpaper to apply in the Start Screen with the 8.1 update, but it's still instantly transporting the user to a totally different world with one click. We can think of it as a full screen Start Menu, but the "shock" is the issue. That needs to be minimized somehow.

Indeed, it is a different look, and as you say the option to have the desktop background as the Start Screen background reduces the *initial* difference - but as one uses Windows 8.x longer, more than a week or two, the Start Screen becomes second nature and could have any background, it wouldn't confuse any regular user.

Even for me it took me a few weeks to settle in with the Start Screen, but since it is such a powerful and useful tool, so customizable and flexible, I wouldn't go back to the old system even for money.

People get used to the Start Screen and no matter how it looks, they will adapt and become comfortable with it in a short period of time. After all, that's what it is designed for. Being *your* personal space, you customize it, it is yours to do with as you please. That is its greatest strength.

(and the transition is lightning fast, press of a button)
Tonight we fly

Revelation

Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:02 pm

Quoting TLG (Reply 27):

Quoting Asturias (Reply 28):
People get used to the Start Screen and no matter how it looks, they will adapt and become comfortable with it in a short period of time. After all, that's what it is designed for. Being *your* personal space, you customize it, it is yours to do with as you please. That is its greatest strength.

The main issue is transitioning the user base.

M$ could have chosen to ask the user whether or not they want to stay with the old approach or the new approach with minimal effort. The old code is already matured, and it could have stayed in place with minimum effort on the part of M$, but as above. they chose the approach of "jolting" the users.

If they insist on a migration, they could have provided a grace period i.e. get rid of the old stuff at 8.1 or 8.2 instead of 8.0. They could do it in steps, like make it more difficult to enable the old approach at each point release, etc.

Instead they end up with this customer unfriendly approach of releasing a product, having everyone scream that the new approach stinks, then having to restore the old functionality a release or two later. Some people feel the screaming is good under the "any press is good press" theory, but I disagree with them. All this does is make mac-osx users even more smug.

My employer would never 'jolt' the user this way - they are paying customers! If we have sound techie reasons to not support the old functionality, we find a way to wean them off of it over time. M$ deservedly comes across like a bunch of arrogant self centered jerks doing things the way they do.

elbandgeek

Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:10 pm

Functionally, the 8.x start screen is not that different from the old start menu other than the fact that it takes up the entire screen, which is necessary for touch but also makes tracking down a specific app easier with a mouse than the endless nesting folders of the old version. For the most part though, anyone on an older version who still actually hunts through the start menu is doing it wrong anyway. Ever since they introduced the instant search in Vista, it's just been a matter of hitting the windows key and start typing what you need. The start screen still does that but also puts the most used stuff front and center for even easier access. My guess is if Threshold/Win9 "brings back" the start menu it will be the option of having a condensed version of the start screen pop up on the left edge of the desktop (similarly to a snapped metro app) instead of opening fullscreen if the user so desires.

David L

Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:39 am

Quoting elbandgeek (Reply 30):
For the most part though, anyone on an older version who still actually hunts through the start menu is doing it wrong anyway.

I can't agree with that.

Quoting elbandgeek (Reply 30):
Ever since they introduced the instant search in Vista, it's just been a matter of hitting the windows key and start typing what you need.

Exactly - it's a good way to search for a program. I'll choose a couple of mouse clicks over the search method whenever I can. However, I wouldn't say either method is wrong.

Aesma

Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:59 am

Where the classic menu works for me is not for launching my everyday apps (for that I use the lateral bar I added), nor apps that I use regularly but are not on the bar (for that I use the search, indeed a good function), but rather for programs I use once every blue moon, and often can't remember the name of.

Thunderboltdrgn

Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:44 am

- Upgrade to a newer version of Windows ? --> #7 or #8 ?

Windows 7 is quite difficult to get hold of now days since MS have stopped selling it.
Some stores might still have a few retail copies and OEM versions might also still be available
but in general Windows 7 is no longer available for purchase.
Like a thunderbolt of lightning the Dragon roars across the sky. Il Drago Ruggente

Fabo

Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:30 pm

Quoting thunderboltdrgn (Reply 33):
Windows 7 is quite difficult to get hold of now days since MS have stopped selling it.
Some stores might still have a few retail copies and OEM versions might also still be available
but in general Windows 7 is no longer available for purchase.

As far as I know, you can use your 8 license for installation of 7 - so buy 8 and get a hold of an installation DVD of 7 and you are good.
The light at the end of tunnel turned out to be a lighted sing saying NO EXIT

elbandgeek

Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:48 pm

Quoting Aesma (Reply 32):
Where the classic menu works for me is not for launching my everyday apps (for that I use the lateral bar I added), nor apps that I use regularly but are not on the bar (for that I use the search, indeed a good function), but rather for programs I use once every blue moon, and often can't remember the name of.

and for that the all apps view in the 8.1 start screen is infinitely easier to navigate than the old start menu because you can read the lists more clearly and can sort based on date installed or frequency of use in addition to alphabetical.

Viscount724

Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:40 am

I'm really annoyed at having to stop using Windows XP. I've never had a problem with it and it does everything I need on an old Toshiba laptop that's also always worked perfectly for about 7 years (I've upgraded the RAM but otherwise it hasn't been touched). I understand I'll have to buy a new computer and that almost none of the current software will work with Windows 8 so that will also have to be replaced (I'm still using Office 2003 and it also does all I need...about all I use is Word).

It's just annoying to have to spend all that money when you're happy with what you have. It's like being forced to get rid of an old car that you like and that's running just fine because the manufacturer is no longer willing to service it. (I'm now on my 4th car in 44 years).

Fabo

Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:29 am

Nobody is forcing anybody to leave Windows XP...
The light at the end of tunnel turned out to be a lighted sing saying NO EXIT

Revelation

Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:47 pm

Quoting Fabo (Reply 37):

That is correct. The only thing that is happening is M$ will no longer support XP which in real terms means M$ will no longer issue security patches for XP. It's really up to the XP user community what to do about that. Most of us have decided to switch to W7 a long time ago. Wiki sez:

Quote:

According to web analytics data generated by Net Applications, Windows XP was the most widely used operating system until August 2012, when Windows 7 overtook it.[21] As of December 2013, Windows XP market share is at 28.98%, having decreased almost every month since at least November 2007, the first month for which statistics are publicly available from Net Applications.

XP has had a good ride since 2001 and all good things must come to an end....

Ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_xp

Airstud

Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:55 am

As long as IRda still functions, I'm keeping XP on my Fujitsu-type laptop. IRda is the only thing I really need from a Windows laptop anyway.

I am awaiting the day when all data transmissions in the known world are accomplished via IRda.
Pancakes are delicious.

N1120A

Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:28 am

XP has been completely unnecessary since Windows 7 came around. I don't get why people are so stuck on it.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

tommy1808

Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:32 am

It is solid, stable & fast. But there is a reason that "Classic Shell" downloads are through the roof ..... the GUI is living proof that capitalism works not any better than communism, because that can only be explained by having been designed by a committee.

Gruß
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

tommy1808

Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:35 am

Quoting thunderboltdrgn (Reply 33):

You can even buy Windows XP still today and for a few years to come. Not so long ago you could still buy Windows 3.11 for Workgroups.
And there is no reason not to buy the Windows you like used for a lot less money.

best regards
Thomas

Revelation

Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:25 pm

Quoting tommy1808 (Reply 42):
And there is no reason not to buy the Windows you like used for a lot less money.

... other than there will be no more security patches for it come April, and yet it will still be on enough computers to be a target for hackers ....

tommy1808

Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:18 pm

Quoting Revelation (Reply 43):
... other than there will be no more security patches for it come April, and yet it will still be on enough computers to be a target for hackers ....

You are correct, anyone that plans to use a networked Windows XP System in the near future should see a shrink. But you can also buy used Windows 7. I just wanted to point out that it doesn´t matter if MS still sells a product (well, they still do sell XP), as long as they still support it or as long they and non-connected systems there is no reason not to use Windows XP. In Germany for example almost all ATMs run on Windows 2k or XP. And a rather large chunk of the small rest runs OS/2. No network, no problem.

best regards
Thomas

einsteinboricua

Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:33 pm

Quoting Fabo (Reply 37):

In black and white, you're right. No one is putting a gun to your head and forcing you to switch. But the threat of no more security updates/patches and leaving your system vulnerable to attack, and the warnings issued from Microsoft about it, make it seem like they really are forcing you.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

HT
Topic Author

Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:09 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 40):
XP has been completely unnecessary since Windows 7 came around. I don't get why people are so stuck on it.

The older people get the more lazy they get to throw everything they have installed on their computer overboard just to switch to a new version of Windows.
If upgrading an installed version of Windows to the next higher version were as easy as upgrading a release of Ubuntu, then more people would do so.
And then there are those folks out there whose computers just run fine on XP but lack the ressources (CPU power, RAM, ...) to run W7 properly.

I may post above statements as I include myself in each of these groups  

BTW, my older machine (a no longer mobile notebook comp.) failed the tests to run Xubuntu from CD and from USB-stick again, but the latest version I tried actually tried to install drivers for the computer's WiFi, only to stall then.
As time allows I will continue in my efforts.
-HT

elbandgeek

Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:15 pm

Quoting HT (Reply 46):
If upgrading an installed version of Windows to the next higher version were as easy as upgrading a release of Ubuntu, then more people would do so.

As of 8.1 it is because it's downloaded directly from the store. If people were willing to get over the initial upgrade to 8 (which is still easier than previous versions because of the download option) then going forward it won't be a hassle anymore.

Asturias

Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:39 pm

Quoting tommy1808 (Reply 41):
It is solid, stable & fast. But there is a reason that "Classic Shell" downloads are through the roof ..... the GUI is living proof that capitalism works not any better than communism, because that can only be explained by having been designed by a committee.

There is no GUI problem in Windows 8.x since one can choose the GUI one prefers, either Modern or Classic. The Start Screen is iiiiinfinitely superior GUI design that the quite questionable Start Menu.

I'm not going to defend Microsoft's Modern GUI, it's adequate to me the few times I do use it, but I seriously have to question the integrity of a person's argument if they are basing it on criticizing Modern when that hardly ever enters into one's life as a Windows 8.x user. At least if one doesn't want it to.

In all its iterations, Windows has been compared disfavorably to the Macintosh, and rightly so. For the first time in its corporate history, Microsoft broke that glass ceiling with Windows 8.

The first OS in the world, more advanced and with better GUI than whatever is used on the Macintosh now. And people complain about a stupid menu and an interface they don't have to use.

But that crowd is shrinking. Thankfully, Windows 8.x is capturing the hearts and minds of most people who use it. The response on forums, comment thread and the size of the user base indicates that clearly. I don't like to question people's arguments, especially if they make them in good faith, but I can't see how an argument can be made against Windows 8.x in good faith.
Tonight we fly

EA CO AS

Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:53 pm

Quoting Asturias (Reply 48):
I can't see how an argument can be made against Windows 8.x in good faith.

Can it run FS9 or FSX?   
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group