Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ImperialEagle
Topic Author

Gates Blasts Congress

Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:01 pm

It comes as no surprise to me that Gates found Congress in the condition it is in.
I haven't had a chance to read his book and I will. In the meantime here are some tidbits from today's Fox News;

.foxnews.com/politics/2014/01/14/gates-book-blasts-incompetent-congress-accuses-reid-others-seeking-favors/
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough!"

MD-90

RE: Gates Blasts Congress

Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:07 pm

Yawn.

Do it when you're in office and can actually make a difference and then I'll care.

AA7295

Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:47 pm

Please don't quote FAKE News. Please only add links from reputable news agencies.

There are a lot of educated intellecuals here on A.net and we don't consider that network you posted be a news network.

Thank you for adhering to this.

cptkrell

Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:22 pm

Quoting aa7295 (Reply 2):
Please don't quote FAKE News. Please only add links from reputable news agencies.

That's a little personally prejudiced statement, no? Irrespective of your (shortly-spanned) political beliefs, I could only suggest that you look at ALL spectrums of news venues. However much you may disagree with FOX because of all or some of your personal preconceived notions, FOX is, indeed, reputable. As is MSNBC, CBS, ABC et al, although I would agree that some are more reliable than others in a slant to their reporting/opinionating (sometimes hidden/sometimes blatant). Ever spent any time with BBC or Al Jazeera? Not too bad, IMHO.

There are a lot of educated intellecuals here on A.net and we don't consider that network you posted be a news network.

Of course. This is an international forum, and many of the "educated intellectuals here on A.net" DO consider FOX as a news network. Some don't like FOX. Some don't like Chris Matthews or Rachael Maddow. So, WTF is your point?

Ain't nobody ever, ever going to adhere to this, so YOUR thanks are way premature.
all best; jack

DeltaMD90

Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:50 am

I don't like their spin but they are the other side and we cannot understand where everyone is coming from without FOX. I know I sound like a far right winger but sometimes they actually do talk about stuff the others should... what happened with the IRS scandal? I don't think it's the worst thing since 9/11 or anything but I think it should have more attention than it's getting (from non-FOX news.)

Plus, the other news sources are hardly "reputable." Journalism has fallen greatly

MD-90

Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:53 am

Oh boy. If you're gonna take that tone then you'd better make sure you spell intellectuals correctly.

casinterest

Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:21 am

Quoting ImperialEagle (Thread starter):

Is there a point to this thread other than advertising Gates book?

There isn't even a point of discussion in the thread start.

But the fake news headline can slide, as it is an advertisement of a surely opinionated and not surprisingly slanted viewpoint of a person with nothing left to lose in retirement.
Where ever you go, there you are.

hOMSaR

Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:09 pm

He was interviewed on the Daily Show this past week (videos available online, depending on what country you're in). Looked pretty good, and sounded like he had good and bad things to say about both parties.
I was raised by a cup of coffee.

solarflyer22

Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:49 pm

Quoting homsar (Reply 7):

He was interviewed on the Daily Show this past week (videos available online, depending on what country you're in). Looked pretty good, and sounded like he had good and bad things to say about both parties.

The quotes I read were really good and I did see the interview. He basically confirmed a lot of the rumors and what I think most perceptive people already know. Most notable were

1) Bush was committed entirely to Iraq but there simply were no means available to "fix" the nation once it unraveled.
2) Obama is more intelligent than Bush but not as committed to fixing Middle East issues. He's probably not even an average President overall.
3) Congress is devolved into an utterly useless group and could cause irreparable harm to the nation
4) Israel's attempts to influence the US government policy and drive its own agenda inside the white house are just as pervasive as every middle eastern conspiracy theorist thought

dtw2hyd

Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:26 pm

This book is unique in the sense for the first time in history someone wrote a memoir about current administration. I think it is a good thing, why wait for wikileaks.

I just glanced few pages. I never thought Candy Rice was such a fire cracker!!!
All posts are just opinions.

BestWestern

Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:10 pm

Quoting solarflyer22 (Reply 8):
4) Israel's attempts to influence the US government policy and drive its own agenda inside the white house are just as pervasive as every middle eastern conspiracy theorist thought

I wonder what the OP thinks of this point?
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

bhill

Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:53 pm

"Fixing Middle East..." that's really rich...there is no fix until you get the religion out of the governments...Let the folks living there fix it...
Carpe Pices

solarflyer22

Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:37 pm

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 10):

Oh, he's not going to like it all. But Gate's comments on attacking Iran in both the Bush and Obama administrations are pretty revealing. His criticism on the fighter plane sale to Saudi Arabia and Israel's effort to influence the deal are pretty scathing.

Quoting bhill (Reply 11):
"Fixing Middle East..." that's really rich...there is no fix until you get the religion out of the governments...Let the folks living there fix it...

I wasn't saying Obama should but you can see the strategic thinking shift between administrations. I think the last 2 years of W's foreign policy were all Iraq focused.

Kiwirob

Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:43 pm

He's decidedly anti-gentile so he'll hate it.

DeltaMD90

Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:49 pm

I don't think it'll be addressed (or addressed in a very convoluted/tap-dance-around-the-subject way) just like every hard question on the subject. I guess Gates is antisemitic too?