melpax
Topic Author

Heatwave - What Do You Wear To The Office

Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:51 am

Melbourne is in the middle of a heatwave at the moment - 43 degrees celsius yesterday, 41 degrees today, forecast for tomorrow is 44 & 42 degrees on Friday   

Bloody hot.

In this situation, what do you wear to the office? I normally wear a suit, but have been wearing a T shirt & light pants to work for the past couple of days. My office is business casual, but the building next to us has the Melbourne office of Marsh Mercer (apparently their biggest office outside of NY) & one of the major banks, so have seen quite a few unfortunate folks wearing full suits & ties when going out at lunch...

Might even wear shorts tomorrow. My boss is wearing his usual shirt & tie. Being a new office, the aircon works quite well, but the heat hits you when you go outside....

A timely report.

http://media.theage.com.au/news/nati...dressing-for-the-heat-5078569.html

[Edited 2014-01-15 00:53:26]
Essendon - Whatever it takes......

bookishaviator

RE: Heatwave - What Do You Wear To The Office

Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:01 am

I've been required to continue to wear business attire this week, however not the full suit jacket and tie (just slacks and business shirt). Thank goodness for excellent air conditioning in our building.

As you say however, even five minutes out in the heat to go and buy yourself some lunch is enough to fry yourself into a sweaty, short-breathed mess.

Quoting melpax (Thread starter):
Melbourne office of Marsh Mercer

I love that building. Well, more specifically, I love the toilets in that building. Floor to ceiling glass windows in the guy's dunnies overlooking the west and south of Melbourne (I forget which floor, but I assume the design is much the same on most).
When I die, when I die, I'll rot. But when I live, when I live, I'll give it all I've got.

melpax
Topic Author

Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:14 am

Quoting bookishaviator (Reply 1):
I love that building. Well, more specifically, I love the toilets in that building. Floor to ceiling glass windows in the guy's dunnies overlooking the west and south of Melbourne (I forget which floor, but I assume the design is much the same on most).

No such luxuries in my building unfortunately. Even though the CBA logo is on the top of my building, they're located in the same building as Marsh Mercer. There were a few choice comments amoung our lot when their logo went up......

As you say however, even five minutes out in the heat to go and buy yourself some lunch is enough to fry yourself into a sweaty, short-breathed mess.

Not wrong. Only managed a quick walk up to Southern Cross & back to get some lunch, too hot for my usual walk.

David L

Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:56 am

Thank goodness for excellent air conditioning in our building.

I'll bet there are still one or two people who want the air-conditioning turned down because they're "freezing". And if you suggest they wear a jumper they'll say they shouldn't have to because it's summer.   

Maybe it's different in Australia but that's what happens here.  

AyostoLeon

Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:18 am

Fortunately I work from home so I get to determine the dress code as well as the aircon settings 

Actually it isn't the temperature that I mind so much as the humidity that often accompanies it. I live on the outskirts of Perth and on Sunday the temperature was over 40 at 9 am. It didn't feel too bad because the humidity was low but that can give a false sense of security as dehydration is still a problem in the heat.

With the heat comes the bushfires: over fifty residential buildings destroyed in the Parkerville, Stoneville area last weekend. Hope you guys in the East can avoid the terrible damage that has resulted previously.

Slip, slop, slap and drink plenty of water.
The person with no dignity eats his dinner twice

melpax
Topic Author

Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:28 am

Quoting AyostoLeon (Reply 4):
With the heat comes the bushfires: over fifty residential buildings destroyed in the Parkerville, Stoneville area last weekend. Hope you guys in the East can avoid the terrible damage that has resulted previously.

Friday could be a bad day - 42 degrees after a week of very high temps, with northerly winds does not make a good combination as far as bushfires are concerned.

AyostoLeon

Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:34 am

Quoting melpax (Reply 5):

Sounds bad. The firies could have their work cut out if the worst happens. Hopefully people will have cleared as much flammable material as they can around their houses before then. Best of luck.
The person with no dignity eats his dinner twice

chrisrad

Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:37 am

I wear exactly the same shirt and pants to work. Our aircon works well, and I have 10 meter walk from my car to the office door. However some of the ladies in the office have been wearing more skimpy outfits, then wonder why they are cold inside the office……...
Welcome aboard Malaysia Airlines! Winner of Best Cabin Staff 2001,2002,2003,2004,2007,2009,2012

RyanairGuru

Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:44 am

A friend of mine was telling me that yesterday they had no air conditioning in their office for 8 hours. They turned up in the morning to discover that it had somehow died over night, and they finally got it running again at 4:45pm. Mercifully it was "only" 38 in Canberra yesterday.

Quoting AyostoLeon (Reply 4):
Slip, slop, slap and drink plenty of water.

Worked Hard, Flew Right

CXfirst

Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:36 pm

I spent the day it was 44 in Perth in the cockpit of a small Cessna 172 (in pants and short-sleeved shirt). Climbed to 8500ft for my flight (4000 above initially planned) just to get into some cooler air. With that heat it was slow to climb up there, and it barely worked. Drenched in sweat when I landed.

I see Adelaide is showing 46 tomorrow! Have fun in that!

Perth is seeing a nice 26. But back towards the 40s this weekend.

-CXfirst

scbriml

Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:39 pm

Mankini. It's the only sensible solution.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

WestJet747

Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:37 pm

In this situation, what do you wear to the office?

I would continue to wear the same thing I always wear to the office, with the exception of wearing a t-shirt underneath to absorb all that lovely sweat (I normally don't wear an undershirt at all…40+ degrees doesn't happen here   ). Be sure to also bring a spare undershirt/t-shirt as well as keep some antiperspirant in the desk drawer. If I'm at all sweaty getting into the office I usually make a pit-stop to the washroom on the way in to give my face a cold wash so I'm not glistening with sweat when I get to my desk.

Might even wear shorts tomorrow.

At my previous job at major telecom company, I worked in an office that was predominantly developers and engineers, which I am neither (I worked did project management and communications). The devs and engineers wore shorts and sandals almost daily and drove me up the damn wall. I just don't see how you can take yourself seriously in a professional setting when you look like you're about to hit the beach.

I used to get made fun of mercilessly for being the only guy in the building to wear a tie. But hey, being fashionable always comes at a price  
Quoting scbriml (Reply 10):
Mankini. It's the only sensible solution.

Seems legit.
Flying refined.

Aesma

Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:01 pm

Heat wave...I had to do a double take on that one ! Here it's 8°C down from a bit more previous days, and barely above 0° before sunrise, so we talk about removing ice from our cars among colleagues !

I work at a big corp HQ but fortunately not in a position needing formal dress, or god forbid a tie ! I hate having that useless piece of fabric dangling down my neck.

Cold or hot I wear the same thing really, dark pants/jeans with a shirt and a t-shirt under, during summer the only difference will be short sleeves for the shirt.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

chrisair

Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:18 pm

Are you Aussies not used to the heat or something? I always thought it got hot down there in the summer. Does it cool off at night at least?

Melbourne is in the middle of a heatwave at the moment - 43 degrees celsius yesterday, 41 degrees today, forecast for tomorrow is 44 & 42 degrees on Friday

This sounds like our temperatures from June to September. Last summer it got to 119F/~48C in Phoenix and we had 25 days where temps were over 110F.

When temps are that high, we go about our daily routines just like normal. I walk to lunch, dinner, happy hour, run (usually at night), but to me it's no big deal. In fact, some of my friends in PHX complain their offices are too cold in the summer. I'm usually traveling, but I try to schedule a little pool time about 1-2p when I'm not out of town. The perks of working at home. 

QANTAS077

Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:56 pm

I usually take the tram to work but that is too hard with the limited aircon available on the #19 line. I'll rock up in shorts and t-shirt then change into work clothes when I get there, but I have instructed the staff not to wear ties.

I don't mind the heat and it really doesn't bother me that much. I did pop down to Sydney Rd for breakfast this morning and the sun certainly packed a punch, it's yesterday that was awful because it was quite humid.

I was hoping to head to Hisense for the tennis today but I think I'll wait until next week.

einsteinboricua

Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:02 pm

Just like a cold blast in winter, it's just a momentary thing, though stepping into the heat and then jumping into an overheated car might be too much. Why don't you wear sport-polo shirts with slacks? That's still in the business casual range, IMO.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

zippyjet

Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:04 pm

I feel for all of you enduring the heat. One of my solutions (especially when choice of wardrobe is not an option). I take a plastic bag, (one of the doggy ploppy bags) will do and take a washcloth. I rinse it out with cold water and sometimes put ice in it. Wiping down your face can make a difference. BTW is it a humid or dry heat?
I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!

fr8mech

Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:05 pm

When I was required to wear a suit, I wore a suit, regardless of the temperature. I had light weight suits and shirts for hot weather and heavier weights for cold weather...since I occasionally will have to go outside.

Now, I'm business casual. I pretty much wear the same type of clothing year round. Though, in the summer I tend towards polo shirts rather than button-downs.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.
Unless it's expressly prohibited, it's allowed.
You are not entitled to a public safe space.
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

jetblueguy22

Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:09 pm

Quoting WestJet747 (Reply 11):
The devs and engineers wore shorts and sandals almost daily and drove me up the damn wall. I just don't see how you can take yourself seriously in a professional setting when you look like you're about to hit the beach.

I used to work at a large specialty chemical company and I was one of those guys. Walk through the accounting department's office and you see every one in button downs and dockers, walk past my office and it's shorts and a polo. To be fair though I would also help out on the dock when they were short.

I used to have to get dressed up like that for school. The best solution was a short sleeve button up. That's about all you can do when you have to be that dressed up. Though I'll trade you. Walked outside today and it was -25C. Going to see -35 to -40C windchills tonight   .
Pat
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

RyanairGuru

Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:09 pm

Quoting chrisair (Reply 13):
Are you Aussies not used to the heat or something?

IMHO this is one of the most enduring elements of our British heritage: Australians love discussing the weather and complaining about it. If anything I think we do it more than the British (disclaimer: I'm UK-Aus dual national and lived extensively in both countries). Therefore, while 40 degrees isn't unusual in summer in Melbourne, people can't talk about anything else. The same thing happens when it gets cold. Or rains. Or doesn't rain.  

Generally temperatures in the major Australian cities are lower than Phoenix because they are all coastal. It does get that or hotter inland, though. My sister lives in Longreach in western Queensland and it was 48 everyday for 3 weeks.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

zippyjet

Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:17 pm

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 19):

I'm a native Baltimorean (Baltimore, MD) and live through our legendary high heat and humidity every summer. It still sucks. Extreme weather (heat and humidity) are rich people's weather. They have more leeway with work and can enjoy the finer things in life to keep them cool.
I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!

L0VE2FLY

Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:17 pm

Whatever I was wearing 6 months ago! We're having our own midwinter "heatwave" here in SoCal, on Christmas day it reached 86 F (30 C) in San Diego County.   

cfischaleck

Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:18 pm

We had a long and extensive heat period last summer in Central Europe (well, not as hot as in Australia, but still) and I always wore a long sleeved white shirt. The white color reflects the sunlight and therefore the warmth and doesn't heat up the skin on your arm. Having a second one at work to change really is a good idea !

The worst part was the drive from my home to the train station. My car doesn't have an air condition and it heated up so much, you could barely touch the steering wheel !

chrisrad

Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:41 am

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 19):
Quoting chrisair (Reply 13):
Are you Aussies not used to the heat or something?

IMHO this is one of the most enduring elements of our British heritage: Australians love discussing the weather and complaining about it. If anything I think we do it more than the British (disclaimer: I'm UK-Aus dual national and lived extensively in both countries). Therefore, while 40 degrees isn't unusual in summer in Melbourne, people can't talk about anything else. The same thing happens when it gets cold. Or rains. Or doesn't rain.  

I also guess foreigners will not understand the extreme variability of Melbourne's weather, this isn't Phoenix where there is a slow gradual buildup of heat, it's easy to get used to that. We can easily go 68f to 111F one day to the next, and just as easily fall back to 68f within 1 hour. To compare Melbourne is as far south as San Francisco is north by latitude, and by the sea as well. San Francisco's record appears to 103F, whilst Melbourne's is 115.5F - again to highlight the extreme variances we get. With hot desert winds from North and cold Antarctic winds from the south.
Welcome aboard Malaysia Airlines! Winner of Best Cabin Staff 2001,2002,2003,2004,2007,2009,2012