Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

OA260
Topic Author

P&O Cruises Unveils New Livery To Adorn Its Ships

Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:48 pm

P&O Cruises unveils longest-ever Union Jack on new ship

Longest-ever Union Jack flag will adorn the cruise operator's new ship Britannia as it revamps the livery of eight-strong fleet

P&O Cruises is already a quintessentially British brand, exclusively sold in the UK, with British officers and chefs, all topped off with Twinings tea.
But, just to drive home the message, the cruise ship operator owned by America’s Carnival Corporation has decided to revamp its fleet’s livery – a redesign that includes emblazoning the vessels’ bow with a giant Union Jack flag, “styled in a contemporary way”.
The longest version of the flag anywhere in the world, spanning 94m, will adorn the £500m Britannia, P&O’s biggest ever ship, which is under construction and due to be launched in February 2015.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/n...t-ever-Union-Jack-on-new-ship.html

This is a new era for P&O and I must admit I have never been crazy about the brand but I feel the new ship next year will up the game and I look forward to seeing what they achieve. So far it looks good.

Luxair

RE: P&O Cruises Unveils New Livery To Adorn Its Ships

Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:13 pm

The Union Jack simply looks awesome on everything, from a comfortable toilet seat to a T-shirt sold on Oxfordstreet and inbetween you have BA's Boeings and finally last but not least P&O cruiseships  Great! Hehehe I love it!

cptkrell

Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:18 pm

Being a fan of corporate graphics (transportation liveries in particular) I thought I'd throw my .02 cents in.

I really like it with one suggestion. It should be scaled even bigger with the bottom red stripe extending all the way back to under the first life boat and swooping down lower at the front to about the height of the ship's name. Ship's name moved up closer to the bow. This would allow more pronounced blue wedges making the Jack more easily identifiable from a distance. Would help from the rear 3/4 view also (additional picture posted in your link: notice how the graphics almost disappear in this view).

Graphic design class 101 recessed for beer break.
all best; jack

falstaff

Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:36 pm

Quoting OA260 (Thread starter):
P&O Cruises unveils longest-ever Union Jack on new ship

A good friend of mine who is a retired engineering officer with British India Steam Navigation (P&O) has often told me that calling the UK flag the Union Jack is incorrect unless it is on the front of a ship. If it appears anywhere else it is the Union flag.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

Kiwirob

Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:10 pm

Quoting falstaff (Reply 3):
A good friend of mine who is a retired engineering officer with British India Steam Navigation (P&O) has often told me that calling the UK flag the Union Jack is incorrect unless it is on the front of a ship. If it appears anywhere else it is the Union flag.

He would be wrong.

Quote:
Graham Bartram (born 18 July 1963), a British vexillologist who is currently (2013) the Secretary-General for Congresses of the Fédération internationale des associations vexillologiques and the Chief Vexillologist of the Flag Institute, when interviewed on the BBC Broadcasting House programme on 13th October 2013, stated that either name was perfectly valid whatever the purpose. He stated that the theory that the flag should only be referred to as Union Jack when flown at sea was an idea which was initiated in the Victorian era - however there is no historical veracity to the notion.

and

Quote:
(See 'The Official Website of the British Monarchy')[1]. It has been claimed that "Union Jack" was the name given to the flag flown on the "jack staff" of ships of the Royal Navy. However, the flag existed long before ships had jack-staffs, so it is more likely that the jack-staff is named after the flag.

I find this very tacky in an American kind of way.

falstaff

Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:56 pm

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 4):
He would be wrong.

Apparently it is disputed.

http://www.flaginstitute.org/wp/brit.../the-union-jack-or-the-union-flag/

http://www.royal.gov.uk/MonarchUK/Symbols/UnionJack.aspx

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_Jack

depending on your point of view it may be correct or incorrect. Since my buddy is a sailor it would explain his position on the topic.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

cptkrell

Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:34 pm

The ship's new livery or my suggestion to make it more pronounced? Not an issue w/ me but just curious. Of course I can change my mind too. I thought and posted the new AA livery was a bit tacky and amaturish, but now after seeing it in real-world exposure, I'm less critical of the design.

Quoting falstaff (Reply 3):
Quoting falstaff (Reply 5):
He would be wrong.

Apparently it is disputed.

Very interesting. History is always very interesting with the associated multiple perceptions, some being correct, some being incorrect and some being in eternal dispute.

Hey, we even have perpetual arguments in the US about the "Rebel" flag being hijacked by racists, notably by the KKK (but only in later years). These goobers, and probably most politically correct chumps, likely don't even know the difference between the Confederate States 1863 Navy Jack and the Confederate States Battle Flag of 1861, but the disputes are seemingly endless as to the perception of the incorrectly termed "Stars And Bars" (that's the first Confederate National Flag). Sorry I digressed: back to the OP: I like the livery.
all best; jack

BestWestern

Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:08 am

Quoting OA260 (Thread starter):
P&O Cruises is already a quintessentially British brand, exclusively sold in the UK, with British officers and chefs, all topped off with Twinings tea

Sounds like the ships will be full of UKIP members.

How jolly hocky sticks - british officers - suppose the rest of the underlings are from the empire?

As for exclusive sales in the UK...

http://www.pocruises.com.au/pages/default.aspx

I suppose there are some who still think Australia is part of the UK!

[Edited 2014-01-17 18:10:11]
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

DocLightning

Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:18 am

Quoting cptkrell (Reply 2):
I really like it with one suggestion. It should be scaled even bigger with the bottom red stripe extending all the way back to under the first life boat and swooping down lower at the front to about the height of the ship's name. Ship's name moved up closer to the bow. This would allow more pronounced blue wedges making the Jack more easily identifiable from a distance. Would help from the rear 3/4 view also (additional picture posted in your link: notice how the graphics almost disappear in this view).

Most people viewing the ship will actually be near the waterline or near the boat deck. In this image, we are viewing the ship from a vantage point above, so a lot of the design will appear foreshortened by the angle of the bow.

Quoting cptkrell (Reply 6):
The ship's new livery or my suggestion to make it more pronounced?

The livery. America and Americans are famous for splattering our flag all over everything (please see the new AA livery). We absolutely love our flag. One thing a lot of foreigners comment on when they visit the US is the number of flags flying. Gas stations, strip malls, private homes, etc. This practice is less common in other countries, where it's mostly government buildings flying the flag (exceptions abound, of course).

Anyway, I find it very interesting. Carnival now controls P&O and Cunard (and hence White Star). But it's not just those famous British lines.

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 7):
As for exclusive sales in the UK...

http://www.pocruises.com.au/pages/default.aspx

There is P&O and then P&O Australia. P&O Australia has a separate fleet (all ships >20 years old, too, which I find odd). P&O is perhaps the world's oldest passenger shipping line (at least for mechanized ships), with service starting in 1822. P&O was an important player in the England-Australia runs in the post-war period when Australia, desperate for population, subsidized fares for literate and healthy English immigrants. By the same token, many English were fed up with post-war England with its austerity and scenes of destruction all around. For £10, passengers could secure a berth for the 3-4 week journey.

The name P&O actually applies to a number of companies that all trace their lineage back to the original P&O. There are a number of P&O ferries, although they are not owned by P&O Princess/Carnival plc.

Actually, Carnival's portfolio of cruise brands is fascinating. The great steamship lines of the past that have survived into the present tend to belong to Carnival. These include P&O, Holland-America, and Cunard (and hence, White Star). I just find that interesting.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

flyingthe757

Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:32 am

It almost sounds as if you don't like the fact the cruise company is celebrating in style "Brand uk"?

Kiwirob

Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:36 am

Both.

cptkrell

Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:46 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 8):

The livery.

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 10):
Both.

all best; jack

OA260
Topic Author

Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:04 am

Quoting flyingthe757 (Reply 9):
It almost sounds as if you don't like the fact the cruise company is celebrating in style "Brand uk"?

Well its a national pastime for some still LOL.. They love to hate the British yet rely on them to feed their Families back home    
The fact is on lines like Cunard and P&O there are plenty of Irish who love the branding.

Kiwirob

Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:56 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 12):
The fact is on lines like Cunard and P&O there are plenty of Irish who love the branding.

I don't see Cunard painting bloody big Union Jacks down the side of their ships, although since they're also owned by Carnival it might happen  

IH8BY

Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:12 pm

I don't think the red, white and blue are carried off in a very stylish way. To me it looks like the maritime equivalent of hanging flags out of your car window. There are different ways of expressing 'Britishness', but this doesn't come across as a very 'British' way of doing it...

They could have done it in a more tasteful or indirect fashion. BA's livery is far enough removed from that that it seems restrained.

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 8):
The livery. America and Americans are famous for splattering our flag all over everything (please see the new AA livery). We absolutely love our flag. One thing a lot of foreigners comment on when they visit the US is the number of flags flying. Gas stations, strip malls, private homes, etc. This practice is less common in other countries, where it's mostly government buildings flying the flag (exceptions abound, of course).

I quite liked the understated old P&O livery. As subtle and tasteful as it had been for decades.

It'll be interesting to see what P&O's passengers make of it.
Have you ever felt like you could float into the sky / like the laws of physics simply don't apply?

OA260
Topic Author

Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:25 pm

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 13):
I don't see Cunard painting bloody big Union Jacks down the side of their ships, although since they're also owned by Carnival it might happen  

I don't think Cunard need a new livery its iconic where as the P&O brand and livery needed a revamp. They were getting to the stage where they were loosing some of the market as they were seen as an outdated product. I personally would not consider them now but with the new revamp and ship coming next year I will certainly give them a go. Princess have upped their game too with the launch of the Royal Princess last year which I enjoyed very much.

BestWestern

Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:39 pm

In style?

I have no issue at all with Brand UK. Its just that this "brand UK" sounds so twee and fake. Its like a flag, Twinings and British 'officers' on a ship registered in Berumda, makes everything quintessentially British.

This sounds like Holiday inn express.

Well its a national pastime for some still LOL.

Don't stereotype.

They love to hate the British

Thats low.

Quoting OA260 (Reply 15):
I don't think Cunard need a new livery its iconic where as the P&O brand and livery needed a revamp. They were getting to the stage where they were loosing some of the market as they were seen as an outdated product.

I think that this willl attract a certain audience who gain comfort from a british officer and twinings tea.
They have done the research, and people want reassurement of a british captain.
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

Ken777

Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:02 pm

Quoting IH8BY (Reply 14):
BA's livery is far enough removed from that that it seems restrained.

I like BA's livery. Every time I see a BA long haul jet I want to take a trip to London (at a minimum). Since I'm on a somewhat restrained retiree's budget we only go once a year or so, but I've moved my credit card from AA to BA to get those miles.

I don't think Cunard need a new livery its iconic where as the P&O brand and livery needed a revamp.

At 69 I'm outdated so I could probably be pretty comfortable with either brand. I have no desire to climb a rock wall so I can focus on comfort and very competitive pricing to get me to book a cruise.

RyanairGuru

Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:21 am

I suppose there are some who still think Australia is part of the UK!

I had to go look that up, as I was going to post a stern correction for the OP ... in fact it would have been Post #1 in this thread.

However, it does transpire that P&O Cruises and P&O Cruises Australia are two separate companies. I learned something thanks to this thread  
suppose the rest of the underlings are from the empire?

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 16):
Its just that this "brand UK" sounds so twee and fake

It makes me want to gag. That said, the same can be said for overtly "Scottish" displays with tartan everywhere, or "Australiana" with Aussie flags and kangaroos plasted on everything.

I think there is a line, but I'm not sure where it is. BA and QF are both, IMHO, sufficiently British/Australian without being over the top. As for this boat, I don't have a strong opinion.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

DocLightning

Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:57 am

I don't think Cunard need a new livery its iconic where as the P&O brand and livery needed a revamp. They were getting to the stage where they were loosing some of the market as they were seen as an outdated product.

It doesn't help that their fleet is pretty ancient.

I don't think Cunard need a new livery

No they do not. It is essential to Cunard's brand that the livery never change because their brand is squarely based on the nostalgia of the days of the Great Liners. They even operate the last ocean liner ever built. They briefly repainted QE2 and then changed it back again. To this day, Cunard's ships bear the same livery as they did in the days of Lusitania with only minor changes.

I'd apologize for being a nerd, but you're all on this site with me, so...you'll deal.  
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Ken777

Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:51 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 19):
It doesn't help that their fleet is pretty ancient.

Older ships can be upgraded in all passenger areas even if there is no rock climbing wall. Competition for these ships will be based on bang for the buck, the quality of staff interacting with pax and the itineraries.

I'd happily buy two tickets if they were the most attractive pricing and itineraries.

cptkrell

Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:27 am

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 20):
Older ships can be upgraded in all passenger areas even if there is no rock climbing wall.

Not meaning to hijack the topic, but just when the hell did rock climbing walls become popular?

I relented to grand kids to take them to the mall before last Christmas and saw a rock climbing wall inside the venue (without that many participants) and wondered WTF? Maybe for "city folks" that don't get a chance to go out in the hills/woods? I guess I don't get the attraction of such on a cruise liner, but then again, I don't get a lot of the "new stuff, even on land.
all best; jack

DocLightning

Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:22 am

Quoting cptkrell (Reply 21):
Not meaning to hijack the topic, but just when the hell did rock climbing walls become popular?

Last 10 years.

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 20):
Older ships can be upgraded in all passenger areas even if there is no rock climbing wall.

Yes, but they can't add a bunch of balconies or such.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

compliancecheck

Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:50 pm

Just saw Ventura in port in St. Kitts this past week. I had never heard of P&O Cruises before ... interesting to see this thread and learn a little bit more about them!

baguy

Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:04 am

oh lord - it's hideous. I'm fervently British, and proud to be so, but that just looks tacky. And what's worse is that they're ditching the yellow funnel!! That's very sad.