Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

bristolflyer
Topic Author

The Phrase 'I Could Care Less'

Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:01 am

I seem to have heard this phrase used a lot recently to prove that the person using it is has no care for the matter. Surely it should be 'I couldn't care less'? I have always used the 'couldn't' version. Is this just people being lazy? Or getting the wrong end of the stick a la the regular misuse of 'RSVP'? I'm forever hearing people saying 'please RSVP' or 'I'll RSVP later' etc.
Fortune favours the brave

Polot

RE: The Phrase 'I Could Care Less'

Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:07 am

Quoting bristolflyer (Thread starter):
Surely it should be 'I couldn't care less'? I have always used the 'couldn't' version. Is this just people being lazy? Or getting the wrong end of the stick a la the regular misuse of 'RSVP'?

It should be "I couldn't care less." I don't think it is people necessarily being lazy, but rather them mishearing it when they heard it correctly (or picking it up from someone that said it incorrectly) and not really giving thought to what they are actually saying.

Moose135

Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:08 am

No, you are correct, the phrase should be "I couldn't care less". Of course, when you point that out, you are accused of being a Grammar Nazi, rather than being acknowledged for choosing to use proper English.
KC-135 - Passing gas and taking names!

hOMSaR

Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:15 am

Quoting Polot (Reply 1):
but rather them mishearing it when they heard it correctly

I wooden of thought that could happen.
I was raised by a cup of coffee.

DeltaMD90

Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:15 am

Quoting moose135 (Reply 2):
Of course, when you point that out, you are accused of being a Grammar Nazi, rather than being acknowledged for choosing to use proper English.

Sometimes being pointed out is kind of annoying. I've seen someone make a point and the first thing the other person says is something about the grammar of the sentence. It's just not necessary most of the time.

I try and say "couldn't care less" even though I picked up the habit of the other way, I try and use good/well correctly (as well as adverbs instead of adjectives when they shouldn't be adjectives,) etc

I do use "their" to describe singular objects sometimes. It's easier (even if it's wrong) to say "a person wants their house to blah blah" instead of just "his" (which can get people mad) or "his/her" (which I think sounds and looks stupid.) Grammar changes over time, I think using "their" for singular nouns may become part of the English language

romeobravo

Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:19 am

It's an Americanism. It doesn't make any sense but it's not going away.

EA CO AS

Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:27 am

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 4):
Quoting moose135 (Reply 2):Of course, when you point that out, you are accused of being a Grammar Nazi, rather than being acknowledged for choosing to use proper English.
Sometimes being pointed out is kind of annoying.

It's a tough boat to be in; I get flak for gently correcting those close to me (privately, of course) on things like this, but it's never to be rude, hurtful or act superior but rather to help them avoid these pitfalls later, under what may prove to be embarrassing circumstances.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

DeltaMD90

Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:32 am

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 6):
It's a tough boat to be in; I get flak for gently correcting those close to me (privately, of course) on things like this, but it's never to be rude, hurtful or act superior but rather to help them avoid these pitfalls later, under what may prove to be embarrassing circumstances.

It's a case by case thing. Sometimes it's unnecessary and the person couldn't care less (see what I did there?   )

vikkyvik

Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:06 am

I tend to say "I could care less". Habit, I suppose. But I've always heard it as being sarcastic - saying you could care less when in fact you couldn't. Not sure if everyone thinks of it that way, or just me.

Not that it really matters. I could care less.

Quoting RomeoBravo (Reply 5):

Just like "taking the piss" or "pissing the night away" or whatever you crazy Brits say.  
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

romeobravo

Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:18 am

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 8):
Just like "taking the piss" or "pissing the night away" or whatever you crazy Brits say.

Both of these make sense though the explanation behind the former is now pretty dated.

RussianJet

Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:00 am

It's no worse than the utter perversion of the word 'Aluminium' by our trans-pond cousins.

I wish it would stop though. It's much worse than a matter of different pronunciation or whatever, it's just the sheer lack of logic in saying 'could' instead of 'couldn't'. That's what's so irritating about it.
✈ Every strike of the hammer is a blow against the enemy. ✈

PhilBy

Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:59 am

As sure as eggs is eggs it's lack of thought/education. People rarely stop to check their grammar. But it's not as annoying as incorrect use of less and fewer. And who can miss the commonal garden variety of grammatical inexactitude.

I try and use good/well correctly

It's very difficult when someone tells you that they're good not to point out that you didn't accuse them of anything.

Quoting RussianJet (Reply 10):
It's no worse than the utter perversion of the word 'Aluminium' by our trans-pond cousins.

However there is a good historical explanaition for this one. Aluminum was apparently proposed by the official discoverer of the metal but whichever official body was in charge didn't think that it sounded correct so selected aluminium as the official name.

bohica

Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:53 am

After reading this thread, I could care less.   

Aesma

Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:06 am

There is a funny youtube video about this, I shall search for it.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Aeri28

Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:12 am

Agreed. Im fine with it. I use it. We know what it means when we say it. It is not going to go away and I'd hazard a guess that other English speaking speakers are increasingly using it as well due to TV/pop culture influence. And yes, this topic does come up on a british oriented board I frequent especially with threads about the numerous Americanisms creeping into their daily use. I always tell them, don't use it then !?!?!?!?

It is pronounced how it is spelled. Again, not going away.. Never understood how its spelling and pronunciation affects others if they don't use it.. No different than the extra "u" I suppose.

Why don't you pronounce 'favour, colour etc" like VELOUR...?

Just to clarify, the above opinions of mine reflect the fact that I am native US english speaker, have studied four years university French including one year in Aix en Provence France, 4 years university German (including one year in France studying German), 2 years Italian and the Tahitian language, LOL

I just believe language continually evolves and changes.

Flighty

Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:02 am

But I've always heard it as being sarcastic - saying you could care less when in fact you couldn't. Not sure if everyone thinks of it that way, or just me.

Exactly. I was trying to reach for that but you summed it up. Couldn't care less is a straight sentence. Could care less has some sarcasm and derision in it.

And, it's...

It's an Americanism.

Yes! I try to teach phrases like this to my foreign friends or colleagues. These 2 comments would be the perfect exposition. My one friend (actually I have at least 2 friends but... its late) is this brilliant Chinese dude. He has a linguistic understanding that is amazing.

Take a phrase like, "Help, I've fallen and I can't get up." No foreign person would understand why that's funny, unless you care enough to explain it to them.

[Edited 2014-01-24 00:04:48]

Aesma

Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:05 am

I think it's that one (can't watch it at work) : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om7O0MFkmpw
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

PhilBy

Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:22 am

Quoting Aeri28 (Reply 14):

Most do.

I just believe language continually evolves and changes.

Evolution I have no problem with when it adds to a language. When the precision is lost due to stupidity, poor education or laziness the quality of communication deteriorates. If, for example, the words pencil and pen lose their differentiation the communication value of the language is diminished. When people cease to respect the actual meanings of words their ability to communicate unambiguously is reduced and we start the slide back towards pre-linguistic days.

For example

The French for toffee is 'caramel'
The French for fudge is 'caramel'
The French for caramel is 'caramel'
The French for butterscotch is 'caramel'

Explaining traditional English sweets in French just isn't possible without going into details of the ingredients and process of production.This lack of differentiation would be a disaster in a traditional English sweet shop as in English these are very distinct items.

Conversely many English supermarket sell 'French sticks' very few sell baguettes, flutes, ficelles or polkas so there is perhaps some balance here.

dc9northwest

Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:31 am

My response to people who use this phrase is

"In that case, why *don't* you care less?"

Frankly, it's quite ironic that people continue to use a phrase that conveys to others the exact opposite of what they're trying to say.

In speech, you could probably go along with the tone of the voice and see if it's meant sarcastically. In writing, it makes me think that the writer is unintelligent and/or uneducated.

I've lived in the States long enough to see how far away the spoken language is from a "proper" written version.

I've also noticed Americans are more likely to get pissed off if they get corrected by someone. I have my theory why.

Language is meant to convey thoughts from one person to another, which is why people should attempt to use it as close to the guidelines as they can.

TLDR: "I could care less" is annoying and it makes the writer seem unintelligent. Use it if you must.

PS: There are worse annoyances in the USA, like the speech of most young girls in the country. Now that really makes my ears bleed.

PhilBy

Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:02 am

Quoting dc9northwest (Reply 18):
There are worse annoyances in the USA, like the speech of most young girls in the country. Now that really makes my ears bleed.

Like, wodever...

dc9northwest

Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:47 am

Quoting PhilBy (Reply 19):
Like, wodever...

O... M... G, like.... what-eva!!

Aeri28

Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:32 am

Quoting PhilBy (Reply 19):
Like, wodever...

Listen, every culture or country's youth have their own way of speaking. France has its verlan, but still, if you really want to get pedantique, when I lived in France we used to tease the french girls speech among ourselves because they either always said "boef" or "bain or ben" . "Ben je sais pas' "boef, ben qu'est ce que tu fais, boef". I mean to the point that we identified them as "beofers and ben'ers". "She's a boefer, she bens when she speaks". What was particulary funny was that it was a very masculine sound and the mouth would turn downward in a sort of Marcel Marceau pantomine, so it was quite interesting there.. (never sure of the spelling to be honest)

I do wonder the youth thought of us speaking.. It was normal for us to speak in a sort of Franglais mix among ourselves. (I'mma achetez some pain before la boulangerie closes", or "did you gout that glace which was sur la table?". Kids. lol

Quoting PhilBy (Reply 17):
Evolution I have no problem with when it adds to a language. When the precision is lost due to stupidity, poor education or laziness the quality of communication deteriorates. If, for example, the words pencil and pen lose their differentiation the communication value of the language is diminished. When people cease to respect the actual meanings of words their ability to communicate unambiguously is reduced and we start the slide back towards pre-linguistic days.

of course this evolution adds to the the language. It removes a word that is unnecessary but has managed to convey the meaning what is expressed. See, you KNOW what someone is trying to say when they say "I could care less". One less word to say and the meaning is quite known. This usage will be standard one day. I think if people feel strongly they should organize some sort of effort to combat this encroaching Americanism.

Quoting PhilBy (Reply 17):
Most do.

I've never heard a Brit say "colOOOR" or "favOOOR" or "LayBOOR" to be pronounced like "veLOOOR", at least not Hugh Grant or Keira Knightly (or the ensemble in the Billy Elliott film!

dc9northwest

Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:58 am

Quoting Aeri28 (Reply 21):
See, you KNOW what someone is trying to say when they say "I could care less".

Yes. And I know that I'm gaining nothing through having made their acquaintance. Same with "valley girls".

One less word to say

Ah, yes, laziness. Excellent. In fact, yeah, that's the thing--the American language just seems lazier than the British one. Although the Americans seem to be better at proofreading their ads on the street.

But "shut up" is shorter than "I could care less". Why not use that? It clearly indicates you couldn't care less about whatever he's saying.

they either always said "boef" or "bain or ben" .

But did they also do the stupid inflexion which American girls do? When I hear young American girls, I just wanna run away or cover my ears.

PhilBy

Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:15 pm

I've never heard a Brit say "colOOOR" or "favOOOR" or "LayBOOR" to be pronounced like "veLOOOR", at least not Hugh Grant or Keira Knightly (or the ensemble in the Billy Elliott film!

You misunderstand. Most don't pronounce velour "veLOOOR" and certainly not when you get into the regional dialects.

they either always said "boef" or "bain or ben" .

As do many French adults of either gender, but mostly men.

cptkrell

Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:17 pm

It is pronounced how it is spelled. Again, not going away.. Never understood how its spelling and pronunciation affects others if they don't use it.. No different than the extra "u" I suppose.

I assume you mean the extra "i" in aluminium and not extra "u" ? I could care less, but I don't.

For what it's worth, the A.net spell-checker automatically highlights aluminium and not aluminum.
all best; jack

scbriml

Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:23 pm

Why don't you pronounce 'color' like 'colon'?

My response to people who use this phrase is "In that case, why *don't* you care less?"

Mine is "So you do care a bit, then?"

Quoting cptkrell (Reply 24):
For what it's worth, the A.net spell-checker automatically highlights aluminium and not aluminum.

Are you sure? The a.net spell check reports no incorrectly spelled words in this post. Chrome however, highlights the 'English' versions because it's based on "US English", which in itself is an oxymoron.   
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

bristolflyer
Topic Author

Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:32 pm

Thanks all for the replies, very interesting. I could care less about what everyone else thinks - as in, being able to care less proves that I have some level of care about what others think.

I have learnt (learned?) just because one word is pronounced one way does mean that another similarly-constructed word should be pronounced the same. Take Kansas (Can-zass) and Arkansas (Are-kin-saw) as an example (think I may have brought that one up on here before).
Fortune favours the brave

cptkrell

Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:10 pm

Quoting scbriml (Reply 25):
Quoting cptkrell (Reply 24):

Are you sure? The a.net spell check reports no incorrectly spelled words in this post.

Yes, sir. Aluminium has just been highlighted as I now type. Maybe because I'm in the US? No matter.

Chrome however, highlights the 'English' versions because it's based on "US English", which in itself is an oxymoron

"US English"....quick TRUE story; a couple of workmates from England took a two-week vacation (holiday?) from Detroit to Florida. At a fueling stop in Georgia, a local asked "what language y'all talkin'?"

"English"

"English? What country y'all comin' from?"
all best; jack

einsteinboricua

Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:18 pm

I think using "their" for singular nouns may become part of the English language

I do the same thing. It's a way to remain gender neutral. In fact, when you are refering to one person and you don't know their sex, your best bet is to consider that person as part of a group, which is why you talk in a plural form.

Or getting the wrong end of the stick a la the regular misuse of 'RSVP'?

I'll 'R' later   

RSVP is seen as an action...you are RSVPing to the invitation. Just like you're Facebooking, Twittering, and Skyping.

But I've always heard it as being sarcastic - saying you could care less when in fact you couldn't. Not sure if everyone thinks of it that way, or just me.

While grammar tells me that "I couldn't care less" is the correct way, I've been thinking is "I could care less" is the better way.

By saying "I couldn't care less" you've set yourself a limit, implying that if you could care less, you won't care less. By saying "I could care less" means that even at a low level, you're willing to go lower...just the math geek in me (there's always at least one number of lesser value than the one you picked)
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

dc9northwest

Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:08 pm

Quoting einsteinboricua (Reply 29):
By saying "I couldn't care less" you've set yourself a limit, implying that if you could care less, you won't care less.

But you *couldn't* care less. If you could care less, then you wouldn't say "I couldn't care less".

You're literally saying that you're "not able to care less about this matter", equivalent to "it is of the least importance to me".

If you could care less, you're saying that "it is NOT of the least importance", the exact opposite of what you're trying to say.

casinterest

Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:15 pm

I seem to have heard this phrase used a lot recently to prove that the person using it is has no care for the matter. Surely it should be 'I couldn't care less'? I have always used the 'couldn't' version. Is this just people being lazy? Or getting the wrong end of the stick a la the regular misuse of 'RSVP'? I'm forever hearing people saying 'please RSVP' or 'I'll RSVP later' etc.

It's a matter of usage.

" I couldn't care less " about someone as vile as blahblahblah

"I could care less" about either option so how about you choose which one we do.
Where ever you go, there you are.

CXB77L

Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:56 pm

Because in the English language, not every word is pronounced as it is spelt. To me, changing the spelling so that words which are not pronounced as it is spelt smacks of an unwillingness to actually learn to spell the word correctly.

See, you KNOW what someone is trying to say when they say "I could care less". One less word to say and the meaning is quite known.

Not exactly one "less" (sic - should be fewer) word as such, because I have never heard the phrase "I couldn't care less" used without a contraction. The number of words is exactly the same.

This usage will be standard one day.

Not if I, or other pedants have anything to say about that.

Quoting einsteinboricua (Reply 29):
RSVP is seen as an action...you are RSVPing to the invitation. Just like you're Facebooking, Twittering, and Skyping.

That's another one of my pet hates. Using nouns (such as "friend"), or even proper nouns, as verbs. "Google it"; "Wiki it"; "Xerox the document"; "Hoover the carpets" ... what's next?
Boeing 777 fanboy

vikkyvik

Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:33 pm

Frankly, it's quite ironic that people continue to use a phrase that conveys to others the exact opposite of what they're trying to say.

I find it ironic that you're describing verbal irony without acknowledging that it could be verbal irony.

It's really pretty simple - just think of it as being sarcastic. Problem solved, educational implications resolved, and now everyone can go on with his/her uncaring (or possibly less-caring) life.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

PhilBy

Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:47 pm

Quoting cptkrell (Reply 28):
"US English"....quick TRUE story; a couple of workmates from England took a two-week vacation (holiday?) from Detroit to Florida. At a fueling stop in Georgia, a local asked "what language y'all talkin'?"

"English"

I had a friend who visited the US. In a taxi the driver asked where she was from. 'England' she replied.
'My you speak good english for a foreigner' he said.
She left the taxi as soon as possible.

CXB77L

Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:06 pm

Quoting CXB77L (Reply 32):
To me, changing the spelling so that words which are not pronounced as it is spelt smacks of an unwillingness to actually learn to spell the word correctly.

I am a terrible pedant. Let me rephrase that.

To me, changing the spelling of words which are not pronounced as it is spelt smacks of an unwillingness to actually learn to spell the word correctly.

Quoting cptkrell (Reply 28):
quick TRUE story; a couple of workmates from England took a two-week vacation (holiday?) from Detroit to Florida. At a fueling stop in Georgia, a local asked "what language y'all talkin'?"

"English"

Quoting PhilBy (Reply 34):
I had a friend who visited the US. In a taxi the driver asked where she was from. 'England' she replied.

Oh dear ...
Boeing 777 fanboy

vikkyvik

Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:27 pm

Quoting CXB77L (Reply 35):
To me, changing the spelling of words which are not pronounced as it is spelt smacks of an unwillingness to actually learn to spell the word correctly.

Shall I be more pedantic?

To me, changing the spelling of words which are not pronounced as they are spelt smacks of an unwillingness to actually learn to spell the word correctly.

(assuming I understood your sentence correctly)

dc9northwest

Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:46 pm

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 33):
I find it ironic that you're describing verbal irony without acknowledging that it could be verbal irony.

Considering an article I've read recently (or not so recently, but in the past year, regarding humor in the world), and my experience in the States, Americans either don't like or don't understand irony and sarcasm.

Considering mostly Americans use this phrase, I decline your offer of taking it as sarcasm or irony. Most people who I've heard use this phrase can't speak "good" (aka well) and proceed to name things they "could care less" about, often going into much detail about this person or event (say Justin Bieber's arrest). This is proof that they indeed could care less. Hence, it's not irony. EDIT: This means: problem solved for everyone. We can end the thread. They say what they mean.

I find it very herd-mentality typical to defend your local lexicon and culture even though it is not necessarily all that great.

Do you also like that the US is the murder capital of the civilized world? You don't seem to mind it's the murder capital of the English language :-P

To end, I could care less about this topic. That's why I'm commenting on it.

[Edited 2014-01-24 09:54:20]

vikkyvik

Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:00 pm

Quoting dc9northwest (Reply 37):
Americans either don't like or don't understand irony and sarcasm.

Well, being from Boston, I can tell you that we are some of the most sarcastic people I know. Obviously regions differ, though. Many in Los Angeles don't always understand that I'm being sarcastic when I say something.

Quoting dc9northwest (Reply 37):
I find it very herd-mentality typical to defend your local lexicon and culture even though it is not necessarily all that great.

No offense taken.  

Find it however you wish to find it. You may find it not that great, while someone else may find it staggeringly awesome. I don't know why you'd consider it herd-mentality, though. I'd consider it completely natural for a person to defend the culture in which they were raised, and to which they are accustomed.

For the record, I believe in education, and in knowing how to properly speak and write. But I really don't care if people don't speak/write correctly all the time.

dc9northwest

Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:08 pm

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 38):
No offense taken.  

Mate, I wasn't talking about you... But I see this too often, and not specifically in the States. From football/soccer hooligans maiming hooligans from a different team, to people saying their boring city is the best in the world (obviously not every city can be)... If there are flaws, there are flaws. No need to lie. Not everything is great.

I'd consider it completely natural for a person to defend the culture in which they were raised, and to which they are accustomed.

Hmm... Natural, maybe, but is it right? I guess that Indian village chief would say he acted well in ordering a girl to be raped for not paying a fine because she fell in love... And defend this culture.

For the record, I believe in education, and in knowing how to properly speak and write. But I really don't care if people don't speak/write correctly all the time.

Not all the time. In public, though, it would be nice. Feel free to speak a non-local language grammatically incorrectly in public, though. At home, you is can speak how you is like. Is no no badness.

Well, being from Boston, I can tell you that we are some of the most sarcastic people I know. Obviously regions differ, though. Many in Los Angeles don't always understand that I'm being sarcastic when I say something.

Well, Boston is more European   In Kansas City no one seems to understand it. I guess New Yorkers use it a lot, though.

scbriml

Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:47 pm

Quoting casinterest (Reply 31):
"I could care less" about either option so how about you choose which one we do.

To me, this is just a horribly constructed sentence which doesn't clearly state your view.

Are you saying you use "I couldn't care less" and "I could care less" depending on what you want to say?
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

vikkyvik

Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:17 pm

Quoting dc9northwest (Reply 39):
Mate, I wasn't talking about you.

I know. That's why I put the smiley after it.

Hmm... Natural, maybe, but is it right? I guess that Indian village chief would say he acted well in ordering a girl to be raped for not paying a fine because she fell in love... And defend this culture.

He probably would. And it would be natural, as that's likely how he was raised. And I would criticize it - not because it's heard-mentality, but because it's simply brutal and inhuman.

There are things about Bostonians that I hate, and things that I love. Nothing to do with whether everyone else hates or loves them. Like I said before, my sarcasm is often not understood here in LA, but it hasn't really made me any less sarcastic.

In Kansas City no one seems to understand it. I guess New Yorkers use it a lot, though.

Can't speak for Kansas City, as I haven't been there. But (at the great risk of offending Mir....and myself) New Yorkers and Bostonians are actually quite alike in many respects. It's a biting and frequently self-deprecating type of sarcasm, though. Lots of insults.  

cptkrell

Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:29 pm

Well, Boston is more European In Kansas City no one seems to understand it. I guess New Yorkers use it a lot, though.

Do you mean Bohhston or Nu Yaawk? Or da bote uv dem?

I'd consider it completely natural for a person to defend the culture in which they were raised, and to which they are accustomed.

Kinda off thread...no? Why introduce rape versus how different people yakkety-yak with each other into the discussion?
all best; jack

dc9northwest

Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:26 pm

Quoting cptkrell (Reply 42):
Kinda off thread...no? Why introduce rape versus how different people yakkety-yak with each other into the discussion?

Ever hear of Godwin's Law?  

cptkrell

Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:43 pm

Quoting dc9northwest (Reply 43):
Quoting cptkrell (Reply 42):

Ever hear of Godwin's Law?

Hell, I'm not into Nazi analogies let alone some of this internet slang. It took me a while to realize what "meh" means.

Politely, I maintain that part of your post #39 in reference to rape is off-base.
all best; jack

dc9northwest

Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:51 pm

Quoting cptkrell (Reply 44):
Hell, I'm not into Nazi analogies let alone some of this internet slang. It took me a while to realize what "meh" means.

Politely, I maintain that part of your post #39 in reference to rape is off-base.

Well, you can suggest deletion. I can't modify it even if I wanted to.

cptkrell

Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:10 pm

Quoting dc9northwest (Reply 45):
Quoting cptkrell (Reply 44):

Well, you can suggest deletion. I can't modify it even if I wanted to.

Hell no, I'm not going to suggest deletion! That's what this forum is about! Agree or disagree. All best...jack
all best; jack

IADCA

Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:15 pm

I'm quite certain that this is being irrationally extreme, but I take an instant dislike to anyone who uses "I could care less," with the rare exception of someone who is using it ironically or sarcastically. You might as well have a forehead tattoo proclaiming your inability to think about what you're saying, and I think the world is too full of people who don't think before they talk. Actually, the world is too full of people, especially people who talk too much. Yes, I am quite aware of the irony of an unsolicited rant on an internet forum complaining about people who spew stupidity too often. Thanks for reading.

[Edited 2014-01-24 14:37:19]

Aeri28

Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:02 am

Quoting PhilBy (Reply 34):

Not abnormal and not odd at all. Many Americans do not necessarily associate "English" ( the language we speak in the US) immediately with "England" (the country across the Atlantic). We don't think of some perceived "motherland" when we hear that word, but simply the language of 'our' country, what we've been speaking our entire lives.

It's similar to Spanish. I grew up in California and the Spanish language was always associated with Mexico, although it is named after Spain, most of our frame of reference was the country south of the border. You learned Spanish in school because there was a lot in common with Mexico and her neighbors to the south rather than with Spain.

I find it funny when Brits say "we gave you that language and look what you did with it." yes, you lost any claim to that back in the 1400s when you settled in the new world, and especally after 1776. After that it was ours to do as we pleased. We basically took that language and made it our own.

Plus, who knows where the English language would be with out the US usage. At approx 298 million US english speakers, vs. 58 millionish in the UK, I think we can have a claim to do as we please and make it work for us! India and Nigeria have more English speakers than the UK and it's interesting to wonder if the US had not adopted english as it's still (unofficial) language, how many others would have chosen other languages as well. So yes, the fact that the US has used for the most part the language, it has kept the English language quite alive and living.

cjg225

Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:40 am

Quoting moose135 (Reply 2):
No, you are correct, the phrase should be "I couldn't care less". Of course, when you point that out, you are accused of being a Grammar Nazi, rather than being acknowledged for choosing to use proper English.

I fully and unapologetically embrace my inner Grammar Nazi. I'm all over grammar mistakes of others.   
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...

Mst4k

Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:19 am

Here's an article that touches on this exact phrase, it's at the end BTW (under #7). The point he makes is that the words and phrases we use mean what we as a society say they mean, and they often change. So relax! It's just English anyway and it makes no sense to begin with. 

And I'm sorry to Britain and France but your empires are long dead and we'll soon all be speaking Chinese anyway. Good luck learning to type that on QWERTY.  Wink

[Edited 2014-01-24 22:24:11]
“Senator, you whipped out that Mexican thing again.”
"Can you defend it?"