Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

bunumuring
Topic Author

Any Inxs Fans Out There?

Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:18 pm

G'day fellow A.netters,
In celebration of Australia Day and all things Australian, I am asking are there any other INXS fans out there?
INXS are my favourite Australian band by far and probably one of the few Australian bands who have made an impact globally. I play their music all the time and have a big collection of their music on vinyl and cd.
I remember seeing INXS songs pop up in this forum from time to time in various threads on what people are listening to and favourite songs etc.
I saw INXS play live many times before the tragic death of Michael Hutchence, but only once afterwards. That concert ended up being their second last ever as they announced they were permanently folding the day after I saw them. I was sad but thrilled that I had seen them play. The lead singer, the guy from Snow Patrol, did an amazing job as Michael Hutchence's replacement. He sounded a lot like him and had 'the moves'!
INXS have become prominent here in Australia in the past few weeks as one of our major tv networks has a mini series about to air called 'INXS: Never Tear Us Apart'. Preliminary reports suggest that this mini series will be one not to miss. As a result of all of this publicity, the INXS greatest hits cd is hovering around the Australian top 10, the first time an INXS album has done that in years and years. The actual song 'Never Tear Us Apart' has also started charting again ...
Favourite songs of mine?
1. What You Need, especially the amazing 12 inch remix
2. Not Enough Time
3. Burn For You
4. Don't Change
5. Freedom Deep (my 'funeral song' to be played as I am cremated!)
6. Calling All Nations (should've been the theme song to the Sydney Olympics -perfect lyrics for it yet written in 1987!)
7. Dancing On the Jetty
8. New Sensation
9. Mystify
10. Never Tear Us Apart
Favourite album?
Sometimes it's 'Kick', sometimes it's 'Welcome To Wherever You Are' ... Both are on high rotation ...
Over to you ...
Happy Australia Day!
Bunumuring.
I just wanna live while I'm alive!

DarkSnowyNight

RE: Any Inxs Fans Out There?

Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:18 am

While INXS isn't my very favorite band, I will generally turn then up when they come on. Especially for Suicide Blonde or Mystify.
"Nous ne sommes pas infectés. Il n'y a pas d'infection ici..."

j.mo

Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:12 am

Not my favorite band but I do love me some INXS. Never saw them live though.

My favorite album is 'Welcome to Wherever You Are' also.

But 'X', 'Kick' and 'Live Baby Live' are right up there too. 'Shabooh Shoobah' and 'Listen like Thieves' are also great albums.

Happy Australian Day! I have visited Perth twice, Melbourne, Tasmania and Brisbane with the US Navy. What a great country and great people. I hope to make it back sometime.

Jeremy

Aeri28

Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:30 am

Having heard them over the decades and liking their music here and there, 'at this point in my life' the one song I can continually listen to (and is on my ipod) is "Original Sin" from 1984. That was my 'era' and hey day so that probably explains it. Love that song. "...dream on white boy, dream on black girl and wake up to a brand new day"....

Kiwirob

Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:23 am

I like them but there are better bands from Aussie than them, Midnight Oil, AC/DC, and Crowded House (although the song writing genus behind the band is a Kiwi).

bunumuring
Topic Author

Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:00 pm

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 4):
I like them but there are better bands from Aussie than them, Midnight Oil, AC/DC, and Crowded House

Hi KiwiRob,
Yes, the old INXS versus Midnight Oil debate that I grew up with ... kind of like Ford versus Holden and Sydney versus Melbourne.
Yes, I liked Midnight Oil and AC/DC, and loved Crowded House but in my world, INXS are unrivalled.
... maybe except by Boom Crash Opera, number two with a bullet! ... 'Dancing in the Storm' is an absolute favourite song of mine for all sorts of reasons ...
Happy Australia Day,
Bunumuring.

Klaus

Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:23 pm

Three Inxs albums are in my library with quite a few of their titles ranked pretty high.

I've never seen them in a concert, but they've been with me since their high time.

UltimateDelta

Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:56 am

They're definitely one of my favorites! I've got every album from Shabooh Shoobah to Elegantly Wasted, and of those, X, Welcome, and Wasted are probably my top three, though of course they all have great stuff. I'm hard-pressed to pick a favorite song- Burn For You, Kiss the Dirt, Devil Inside, The Stairs, Heaven Sent, The Messenger, Building Bridges...they're all great. I was introduced to them through my dad, who lent me his Greatest Hits CD at one point- once I sat down to listen, I was pretty much hooked. I saw them once back in 2011, just before they got rid of JD Fortune- although it wasn't quite the same as it would've been with Michael Hutchence, they still put on an awesome show, and I definitely feel lucky to have had the experience! Great band!
Midwest Airlines- 1984-2010

bunumuring
Topic Author

Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:30 pm

Hi UltimateDelta,
You have very good taste! Yes, The Stairs and Heaven Sent just miss out on my top 10 of INXS songs.
Elegantly Wasted was a good album, unfortunately overshadowed by the death of Michael Hutchence. I had tickets for their (some would say ironically named) 'Don't Lose Your Head' tour that they were about to commence when Michael Hutchence was found dead. The tour was named after the single they had just released in the Australian market off the Elegantly Wasted album.
Have you got the 'Original Sin' album of a few years ago? INXS covering their own songs with the likes of Rob Thomas (Matchbox 20) and Ben Harper doing lead vocals ...
Keep on rockin' !
Bunumuring

cgnnrw

Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:01 pm

Put me on the fan list.
Not to derail the thread but INXS were one of my favourite mid-80s groups. Right up there with U2, Crowded House, The Cure and Van Halen.
Shame what happend to Michael Hutchens.
A330 man.

csturdiv

Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:30 pm

Back in my high school days, Kick was one of my favorite albums. I would listen to that album all of the time. I had the vinyl for home, and the CD for my car stereo. I loved the way that Need You Tonight just blended into Mediate. Excellent mixing. Listen Like Thieves was a good album also, did that album have The One Thing on it? Loved that song too.
An American expat from the ORD area living and working in SYD

bunumuring
Topic Author

Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:27 am

Quoting csturdiv (Reply 10):
I loved the way that Need You Tonight just blended into Mediate.

Hi csturdiv,
Yep, I agree that the way 'Need You Tonight' segued into 'Mediate' was fantastic, both in the music itself and the video clip that accompanied the release. It also worked very well live.
I also had Kick on multiple formats as I am a collector. Vinyl in two different forms (normal and picture disk) for the turntable, cd for my stereo and cassette for my car and Walkman. I think now I also have a Japanese release with 4 extra tracks, an American release with two extra tracks, the boxed 25th anniversary rerelease from last year plus the remastered cd from last year as well.
A bit obssessive, don't you think!
Sorry, but 'The One Thng' wasn't on Listen Like Thieves ... Unless you have an uncommon release from a different country or a compilation. It was their first single from the album Shabooh Shoobah in 1983 and peaked at number 30 in the USA (their first single to chart there), number 20 in Canada and number 14 in Australia.
Keep on rockin!
Bunumuring

Kent350787

Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:08 am

Never a big fan - Although I liked dancing, I still preferred the Oils and Chisel.

Fave INXS - their cover of The Loved One and To Look At You off Shabooh Shoobah.
S340/J31/146-300/F27/F50/Nord 262/Q100/200/E195/733/734/738/744/762/763/77W/788/789/320/321/332/333/345/359

Mike89406

Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:19 am

I was a big fan in the late 80's early 90's. I still love they're music as evident as the INXS Greatest Hits in my iTunes library. I don't listen to them as much as I did then mainly because my musical interests have expanded/changed to more genres of music. I do still listen a lot music in that era.

bunumuring
Topic Author

Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:03 pm

...mandate the greatest hits has reclaimed a top 10 position ... In Australia at least...

Kiwirob

Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:01 pm

Quoting cgnnrw (Reply 9):
Shame what happend to Michael Hutchens.

I'm sure if he's stuck with Kylie or Helena instead of Yates he'd still be alive, she was one messed up woman.

nickh

Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:19 pm

Quoting bunumuring (Thread starter):
I am asking are there any other INXS fans out there?

Funny coincidence that you would bring up INXS - I just changed my message .signature to one of my favorite lines from the INXS song, "Never Tear Us Apart"...

I remember when the album "Shabooh Shoobah" was released - it was an import and I had to have it special ordered here in Houston, Texas - the record store owner at the time had no idea who or what an INXS was. It took two weeks, but was worth it.

I still have that CD, along with their other releases.

-Nick
"We all have wings, but some of us don't know why..."

bunumuring
Topic Author

Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:59 am

Hi all,
I passed through Sydney Airport today and was more than a little shocked to see large bill posters with the INXS logo, photo of Michael Hutchence and the words 'Never Tear Us Apart' across the bottom attached to advertising hoardings. Nothing else. These bill posters were around the airport near the Ibis/Formula 1 hotel and Riordan St.
It felt like the late 80s again ...
And even some of my most musically disclined friends have commented that there seems to be more INXS being played an all forms of radio ... With music critics suggesting that the INXS Greatest Hits album could even reach number 1 after this weekend's showing of the miniseries on INXS.
Wow! Am I happy or what...
Keep smiling ... And 'just keep walking' hehehehe.
Bunumuring.

seemyseems

Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:19 am

I really like INXS, Never Tear Us Apart is by far my favourite, then Mystify
seemyseems in ATL

bunumuring
Topic Author

Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:28 pm

...how ironic!
After starting this thread and raving about INXS, I had to miss both nights of the tv miniseries because of family health emergencies! So many people have spoken with me in the past 24 hours about how good the miniseries was ... And I didn't see a minute of it!
Any Aussie a.netters catch it?
Cheers ... Sob, sob, howl!!!
Bunumuring.