YVRLTN
Topic Author

Does Katy Perry Have Talent?

Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:28 am

I decided a very long time ago I do not like Katy Perry's music (Im a classic rock kinda guy).

But - insert ashamed smilie here    - for some reason I really like Roar. I can not explain it...

The official video really sucks.

She is a huge commercial success, absolutely no question. Is it because she is hot and well marketed?

Normally the live performances tell me if someone has talent. She is not a great live performer IMO but that does not hide talent as a musician. I think she can play at least guitar. She can sing. But there are many better.

But I am not decided if she is talented as a) a musician and b) an artist or not...

What do y'all think?
Follow me on twitter for YVR movements @vernonYVR

ArmitageShanks

RE: Does Katy Perry Have Talent?

Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:52 am

I think she's extremely talented.

Her natural unprocessed singing voice is amazing and she can get around on a guitar from what I've read. Do I like her music? Not most of it but there are a couple of songs that are very catchy and I'll hum them to myself when I hear them on the radio. Anyone that can perform a massive show day in and day out across the world has my respect because I know I couldn't do it.

ArmitageShanks

Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:58 am

Quoting YVRLTN (Thread starter):
Is it because she is hot and well marketed?

As with all things very complicated- everything has a say. But someone doesn't get a massive recording/tour deal just because they are hot. There has to be some sort of talent and drive there in the beginning.

But there are many better.

Better according to who? There are a lot of people who think she's the best artist out there- and that's great. At least peple are out there listening to music and participating. A lot of people don't like her, and that's fine too.

But I am not decided if she is talented as a) a musician and b) an artist or not...

As her career is now she's geared more towards the artist side of the genera but who knows in the years to come if she decides to expand her musical skills that are more geared towards personal shows.

rfields5421

Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:58 am

Normally the live performances tell me if someone has talent.

Unfortunately in today's world it is almost impossible to actually hear a singer at a live performance. Only in the early days with club sized shows can you hear the unfiltered, unenhanced voice anymore.

Is it because she is hot and well marketed?

The world is filled with very talented singers and musicians who are not marketable. For some - they refuse to compromise their 'art' for commercial success. For most - they simply can't do that part of the package.

On the other hand - the music industry over and over shows us that folks with lower level of talent can be promoted into 'stardom' - but they cannot sustain the level required.

Perry is almost 30 years old. She's put in years of work in small venues, and on the road building her experience and abilities. She's been a recognized star for near six years now.

That says she's no flash in the pan. Sure she's playing to a made up image.

Today's performance audience demands a lot of flash, glitz, huge video performances, etc. Perry, Gaga and others are just following the 'demands' of the audience - or rather record companies. Elvis did it, so did the Stones and Beatles - until they got big enough to think they were smarter.

Poor Janis Joplin would likely have never gotten off the street in today's music world. We were watching the DVD of Simon and Garfunkel 1981 concert at Central Park. The wife commented that they actually look bored. Maybe, but it was fantastic music.
Not all who wander are lost.

Boeing717200

Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:08 am

She has great lungs if you get my meaning.   
240 years and the top two candidates are named Dumb and Dumber. Stay classy!

DeltaMD90

Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:29 am

But - insert ashamed smilie here    - for some reason I really like Roar. I can not explain it...

Meh, if you like a song you like it. No need to be ashamed  

Kind of OT but it's like the people that have a semi-gayish experience and ask if they're gay or whatever... who cares, do what makes you feel good (and before this turns into a lengthy off topic debate, do what make you feel good as long as it doesn't infringe on others rights, obviously.)

That all being said... I like a few of her songs, don't really like Roar.

Mortyman

Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:58 am

She has more talent and far more likable than Bieber, Gomez and the likes atleast ...

Mike89406

Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:31 am

She does have talent and a artist however not everyone's cup of tea. I'm not a Katy Perry fan per se. There's 1 or 2 songs that I like but that's about it. I think she appeals to mostly teenage girls and young adults. Since she's from SoCal she's pretty popular around these parts and is overplayed on the local radio.

One things for sure though... She's a firecracker and let's her colors burst.

Kent350787

Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:10 am

Another who's not a fan per se, but she does have a strong tuneful voice that doesn't need reworking, works with good songwriters and producers and can take the piss at her fame.

Daleaholic

Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:56 am

To answer your question, yes... She is VERY talented...

Religion is an illusion of childhood... Outgrown under proper education.

varigb707

Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:28 pm

Quoting Daleaholic (Reply 9):
She is VERY talented

I second that....
http://youtu.be/HgDC3FUpMuQ
First, I said 'hey' and then I said 'now'. "Hey Now!" - Hank K.

sw733

Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:51 pm

Not a big fan of hers, but I think she has multiple kinds of talent. She's at least a decent singer, though maybe not great. And she has a hell of a talent in marketing herself. That's kind of the credit that I give a lot of celebrities who aren't particularly "good" at anything...they're really, really good at marketing. And I have to give her and many celebrities credit for that. There are plenty of musicians that I dislike a hell of a lot more than Katy Perry.

for some reason I really like Roar.

Yeah, I do too. And "Wide Awake" is a good one. I think that's what it's called. Other than those two, I am not a big fan.

KFLLCFII

Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:06 pm

Normally the live performances tell me if someone has talent.

Exactly. Thirty seconds in...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Klro1a_21JY

She is a huge commercial success, absolutely no question. Is it because she is hot and well marketed?

Yes.

What do y'all think?

From what I've seen, musically overrated on any level outside the confines of a sterile studio environment...like most pop acts today with few exceptions. (Dare I even mention the word "autotune"?) If you can't perform your own longs live as expected, what do you have? Assisted karaoke with a whole bunch of flashy lights and dance moves, I guess...

What's sad is that twenty years ago, this could get you run right out of the industry. Today, it's the expected norm...going all the way to the presidential inauguration.
"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."

NBGSkyGod

Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:35 pm

I think Katy Perry is a breast of fresh ass in the pop music world with so many untalented hacks who are only elevated based on in-your-face marketing.
Pilots are idiots, who at any given moment will attempt to kill themselves or others.

compliancecheck

Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:44 pm

I like her music, don't get me wrong. However, she isn't the best live performer when she is actually singing. She's much like Taylor Swift in that way. They sound great in the studio, they write great songs, but they're not the best vocalists.

Katy recently had a snafu in France performing on an awards show there. She had "technical difficulty" with her vocal track, and the show's host stopped her mid-performance and asked her to start over and sing live. She sounded awful when she was actually singing. Video below:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=72c_1387245622

bjorn14

Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:40 pm

I was recently reading an article about her and she said that when she was 11 or 12 she prayed to God to give her breasts so big she couldn't see her feet and the prayers were answered. There is a God.
"I want to know the voice of God the rest is just details" --A. Einstein

Mortyman

Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:48 pm

Quoting bjorn14 (Reply 15):
I was recently reading an article about her and she said that when she was 11 or 12 she prayed to God to give her breasts so big she couldn't see her feet and the prayers were answered. There is a God.

Was'nt that Salma Hayek ?

Flighty

Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:57 pm

A girl with her attitude and her assets would have risen to the top of anything. Talent? More about attitude IMO. Girls need a role model, and KP is cross marketed to their dads, so, voila.

vikkyvik

Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:09 pm

I decided a very long time ago I do not like Katy Perry's music (Im a classic rock kinda guy).

But - insert ashamed smilie here - for some reason I really like Roar. I can not explain it...

Ditto. I don't know what it is about that song....

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 5):

Kind of OT but it's like the people that have a semi-gayish experience and ask if they're gay or whatever... who cares, do what makes you feel good (and before this turns into a lengthy off topic debate, do what make you feel good as long as it doesn't infringe on others rights, obviously.)

OK, that's about the weirdest analogy I'm likely to read today.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

cjg225

Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:55 am

She has a great voice.

I normally do not like pop music, but Katy Perry and Adele are two pop artists who have great voices. I don't like all of their songs, but I listen to some of their songs quite frequently just for their voices. I don't listen to lyrics and don't really care about the content of their songs, usually, but the tunes and their voices keep me coming back.

I respect an artist with a good voice even if I don't like their songs for their message/meaning/whatever.

Contrast Perry with someone like Nicki Minaj... who I think has a terrible voice. No range. Very nasal. Yuck.
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...

DeltaMD90

Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:31 am

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 18):

Haha, yeah probably. Point is to not be ashamed if you like something even if "society says" you shouldn't

YVRLTN
Topic Author

Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:29 am

Quoting armitageshanks (Reply 2):
Better according to who?

My personal opinion & taste. I dont think she is in the same league as Stevie Nicks, Christine McVie, Agnetha & Anni-Frid of Abba, Judith Durham, Karen Carpenter, Tina Turner, Etta James, Lita Ford, Janet Gardiner, Joan Jett, even Shania Twain. My opinion. Those are great female vocalists and / or musicians to me. Hey, Im not even old  
Quoting armitageshanks (Reply 2):
There are a lot of people who think she's the best artist out there

Sad but true, but she probably is today, mainstream pop anyway.

Quoting Daleaholic (Reply 9):

To answer your question, yes... She is VERY talented...

No wearing bacon and dripping blood on stage or whatever it was to be unique and attract our attention. Needs to get rid of the funky hair colors and she will be perfection!

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 20):

Haha, yeah probably. Point is to not be ashamed if you like something even if "society says" you shouldn't
Ditto. I don't know what it is about that song....

Im not ashamed of what society thinks of my opinion. She in general - along with all these rightly described pop acts - and even Roar itself goes totally against what I personally believe in as great music.

I was just watching John Fogerty, then the Beatles rooftop concert, then Mick Taylor playing Dead Flowers on the Sticky Fingers album. Those guys right there are musicians. I can not put KP in that category. Yet there is something about Roar - and no other of her songs - that for some reason I like way too much, even though there is nothing technically brilliant about the construction of the song or the lyrics or anything. For me to be persuaded - and vikkyvik - she must be doing one helluva marketing job on us!

ArmitageShanks

Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:47 am

Quoting YVRLTN (Reply 21):
Sad but true, but she probably is today, mainstream pop anyway.

Pop music has always been that way though. I don't really think its sad as a lot of folks that like her now are younger and are using her as a starting point or stepping stone for their music tastes. We all loved "bad/weird/stupid" pop songs in our early lives and our tastes and opinions changed as we aged and matured as we did.

She in general - along with all these rightly described pop acts - and even Roar itself goes totally against what I personally believe in as great music.

At this point in your life. If you are a 12 year old girl this type of music probably would blow your mind- as it should. That is what pop music is all about. The Beatles/Stones/Elvis etc were abhorred by the 60's kids parents and now they are loved. Same will happen with this generation of pop music. It's all relative and its great.

YVRLTN
Topic Author

Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:30 am

Quoting armitageshanks (Reply 22):
Pop music has always been that way though

30-40 years ago there were many truly talented bands & musicians all at the same time who sold records & albums because they were great musicians, not because they had a great marketing guru behind them pushing a "brand" or their natural assets (though of course it was always there eg Brian Epstein). You cant say the same today, though of course the world is a very different place.

I guess my upset is music - ie playing instruments & vocals - is not the basis for success today. And I am trying to decide how much of KP's success is due to her musical abilities.

I don't really think its sad as a lot of folks that like her now are younger and are using her as a starting point or stepping stone for their music tastes

In terms of musical prowess, it seems its only downhill from here. Pretty much anyone who can sing in key can sing along to a backing track, and Im not sure even that is a requirement, being able to mime is good enough. There is not much else (**) in the mainstream charts other than the old guys keeping going for them to step on to if they want to appreciate true musical ability.

(**) Credit given to Train, MGMT, Foster the People and few others who can play instruments live, or at least record live in studio.

We all loved "bad/weird/stupid" pop songs in our early lives and our tastes and opinions changed as we aged and matured as we did.

I went through a dance phase I suppose (Ian van Dahl & Sash), but I grew up with The Beatles & Abba in the 80's/90's way past their prime and loved them as a small kid and still do today.

At this point in your life

This is the point - I really like her song Roar when nothing else of her material or similar genres appeals whatsoever. I cant see my tastes aligning with 12 years olds any time soon as I approach middle age  
Same will happen with this generation of pop music

I somehow doubt it, I dont think KP songs will be played on a daily basis world over in 40 years time. I shudder to think what pop "music" will be like in 2054 so we dont really know, but just IMO.

vikkyvik

Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:39 am

She in general - along with all these rightly described pop acts - and even Roar itself goes totally against what I personally believe in as great music.

I've generally gotten rid of those beliefs a long time ago. It's much easier to simply like what I like, whatever genre or artist, without worrying about whether I should like it or not. Especially being a fan of metal, and seeing how closed-minded many metalheads are to other genres, has made me not want to be that way at all.

So, to summarize, I have my guilty pleasures, that I'm don't really feel guilty about. Songs like "Don't Let Go" by En Vogue, a few Lady Gaga songs, a bunch of hip-hop songs, other random stuff here and there.

But it is still slightly odd that I like "Roar" so much, considering I don't think much of her other songs (that I've heard).
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

ArmitageShanks

Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:37 pm

Quoting YVRLTN (Reply 23):
You cant say the same today, though of course the world is a very different place.

What? Where are you looking for new music? That sort of thing has been said since music/politics/youth has existed. "When I was younger it was better bla bla bla. No, but its DIFFERENT THIS TIME!"

There are more talented musicians out there than at any time in history- and each of them has the ability to be heard by anyone thanks to YouTube and the internet. You just have to search for them. I discover a new band or musician just about every week that is extremely talented. More musicians can make a living now because of I-tunes, YouTube and getting their shows promoted by social media than ever before.

rfields5421

Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:42 pm

30-40 years ago there were many truly talented bands & musicians all at the same time who sold records & albums because they were great musicians, not because they had a great marketing guru behind them pushing a "brand" or their natural assets (though of course it was always there eg Brian Epstein). You cant say the same today, though of course the world is a very different place.

I'm going to have to disagree with you on that one.

Yes, today's marketing machines push people in our face, if we want to hear them or not.

But it has always taken more than talent and great music to make a person popular. The music industry has always been about making money - not promoting great musicians and great music.

Elvis struggled for years before the marketing system got him in front of a lot of people. The same with many other of what we consider to be great musicians today from that era and the 60s.

Remember the payola scandal? Where DJs were actually given money to play certain artists records. Where even such people with growing influence as Alan Freed and Dick Clark were induced to feature less talented musicians. Both broke away from that and later became big supporters of new musicians. But that was not the normal practice of the 60s.

There is a huge amount of 'noise' in the music industry, and it is extremely hard for any musician to break thru without a solid marketing machine behind them. When I was a part-time DJ while in high school in the 60s, the small town radio station would receive about 400-500 demo 45s a week. Maybe seven or eight would actually get on the air. I still have some very unusual LPs (6 or 8) from that era of very talented individuals and groups who never achieved any commercial success or air play. Though frankly 90% or more of the records produced were junk, not worth the cost of the vinyl.

If you read some of the stories of great musicians struggles to get started, you see how we must have missed a lot of talent.

One of the things which has changed over the decades is the importance of the visual performance.

Artists such as Glenn Miller and Duke Ellington had to focus on the visual along with the music to maintain their popularity. Even the Beatles signature haircuts were a marketing ploy to make them stand out from the thousands of similar groups.

Bill Graham raised the level of the visual performance as he built the rock concert concept. Rock musician tours started to include enhances visuals rather than music as a major feature in the 60s with their 'light shows'. Graham's Fillmore East, Fillmore West and Winterland Ballroom were fantastic venues, but visual was almost as important as audio.

I guess my upset is music - ie playing instruments & vocals - is not the basis for success today.

Define success.

Is it getting your music out to the audience? or is it getting lots of money? or is it getting on CNN and Entertainment Tonight?

Frank Zappa may well have been the most talented musician of the 60s and 70s - the rock era. He certainly achieved some success, but he was never a 'pop artist' and he certainly didn't want to be what Katy Perry is today. Though the one concert of his I attended, I'm not really sure how great the music was. The haze over the indoor auditorium was so thick, I was glad I wasn't driving home.

Today musicians have greater access to reach an audience than ever before in history - largely because of the web and sites like You-Tube.

Yes, the marketing machine is much more obtrusive today.

Though I remember people complaining about the Beatles and Rolling Stones being shoved in their face by Ed Sullivan.

We also had a lot of variety shows on network television that needed a lot of acts to fill the screen time. That allowed many musicians to gain their first national exposure. I first saw Iron Butterfly playing their 'Theme' track from Heavy on a variety program in the 60s. Can't remember which show it was - but it was obviously a marketing rep from the label had gotten the group on the show, not their talent or popularity.

The music world still has lots of great small venues for musicians to build an audience with live performances. But just like when I was in high school and college - you have to listen to a lot of bad music to find the real talented folks.

----------------------------------------

Pop music is pop music - not always, even seldom, great music. But it appeals to a certain audience which really is not discriminating.

The first pop music song I remember was 'Purple People Eater'. Certainly wasn't great music, but it had a certain appeal, even today.

The biggest 'change' I've seen over six decades of pop music was MTV and Michael Jackson's Thriller. The emphasis on the video defines a song today, not the music. To be a success today, Perry must have great videos, even if the music isn't actually that good.

----------------------------------------

Another change is that we have become older, we have become more discriminating in what we choose to listen to. Part of that is maturity - which of course 13 year old girls don't have. We realize that we have better choices than listening to bad music.

Or maybe like I feel when my 9 year old granddaughter and 11 year old grandson singing Roar for hours each day - it is my dear deceased mother's revenge over much of the music I played too loud in the 60s.

sw733

Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:09 pm

Quoting compliancecheck (Reply 14):
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=72c_1387245622

Yikes...

dc9northwest

Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:39 pm

Wait, Katy Perry sings?

That's news to me. I was under the impression she was known for something else...

varigb707

Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:22 pm

Quoting dc9northwest (Reply 28):

That's news to me. I was under the impression she was known for something else...

J Law says :
First, I said 'hey' and then I said 'now'. "Hey Now!" - Hank K.

rfields5421

Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:15 pm

I saw her in an article about 'religious' people in entertainment a couple days ago.

Supposedly she has said:

"I was lying in bed as a young girl looking at my feet. I prayed to God to give me boobs so big that I could not see my feet while lying on my back. God answered my prayers."

ER757

Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:40 pm

Quoting rfields5421 (Reply 26):
I still have some very unusual LPs (6 or 8) from that era of very talented individuals and groups who never achieved any commercial success or air play.

Same here from my days in the record business (yes, the "record" business, that's how long ago it was). Have some stuff by incredibly talented people that 99% of the public has never heard, meanwhile worthless crap sold literally millions of records during that time. That's how it went - if you had a gimmick, or if you had one great song with a hook, you could make it.

As for KP - yes, she has talent. I rememebr seeing an outdoor festival on Palladia several years ago and she was on performing "I Kissed a Girl" with a really rockin' band - double lead guitars etc, and she hit it out of the park. On the other hand, I saw her on the Grammys the other night and it was pretty bad, all show, no musical virtuosity at all

YVRLTN
Topic Author

Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:02 am

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 24):
But it is still slightly odd that I like "Roar" so much, considering I don't think much of her other songs (that I've heard)

Ditto. Certainly very odd phenomenon   

Quoting armitageshanks (Reply 25):
I discover a new band or musician just about every week that is extremely talented

So the question is why does KP "make it big" and these guys dont? Their choice maybe.

I'm going to have to disagree with you on that one

Interesting post, thanks. Fascinating subject and I am sad I was not around to enjoy it.

One of the things which has changed over the decades is the importance of the visual performance.

This. So it is no longer about the music.

Define success

Chart topping I guess. It seems anything KP or LG churn out will make it regardless of what it sounds like because of who they are same. Same with The Beatles, Madonna or MJ I guess, but I dont need to point out to you the differences.

Perry must have great videos

Thats the thing, Roar is terrible.

Quoting rfields5421 (Reply 30):
Supposedly she has said:

"I was lying in bed as a young girl looking at my feet. I prayed to God to give me boobs so big that I could not see my feet while lying on my back. God answered my prayers."

I think we have a winner. Thread answered  
Quoting ER757 (Reply 31):
As for KP - yes, she has talent. I rememebr seeing an outdoor festival on Palladia several years ago and she was on performing "I Kissed a Girl" with a really rockin' band - double lead guitars etc, and she hit it out of the park. On the other hand, I saw her on the Grammys the other night and it was pretty bad, all show, no musical virtuosity at all

So talent gets buried with fame. Not a surprise.

I would love to meet her though   

Kiwirob

Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:21 am

Quoting Mortyman (Reply 16):
Was'nt that Salma Hayek ?

That's correct, it was Hayek.

Perry probably has even better boobs than Hayek, damn shame she hasn't popped them out.

rfields5421

Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:23 pm

Quoting YVRLTN (Reply 32):
Chart topping I guess. It seems anything KP or LG churn out will make it regardless of what it sounds like because of who they are same. Same with The Beatles, Madonna or MJ I guess, but I dont need to point out to you the differences.

There are some great, highly respected musicians who never topped the pop music charts. Of course Country and R&B have their own charts.

Once an artist reaches a certain level - their new music automatically goes to the top based solely on their name/ fame.

The actual quality of the individual LP or song isn't important.

Take a look at this list - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...s_and_milestones#Number-one_debuts

Songs that came out on top of the charts - the first ten are the result of an established strong audience for the artist's music - after that you see the results of marketing machines.

(The whole page is a fascinating review of pop music.)

I still look at the Billboard Hot 100 chart - some 28 years since my last DJ show. I'm more interested in the 20-40 place songs to see which are trending up. That is where newer musicians and very talented musicians show up - those not under a mass marketing scheme - or pop idol status.

Look at these charts - how many are great musicians and great singers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billboa...d_Year-End_Hot_100_singles_of_1967

or this one

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._number-one_singles_of_1967_(U.S.)

or an alternate

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cashbox...Top_100_number-one_singles_of_1967

This number one record of the year absolutely drove me nuts having to play it so often

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billboa...d_Year-End_Hot_100_singles_of_1969

As far as Roar

It was # 10 for 2013 - and Katy Petty's only song in the Top 100

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billboa...d_Year-End_Hot_100_singles_of_2013

Roar was the top single for two weeks

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._number-one_singles_of_2013_(U.S.)

Perry certainly wasn't the top singer or top pop machine artist of 2013.

[Edited 2014-01-30 06:37:37]

compliancecheck

Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:31 pm

Quoting YVRLTN (Reply 32):
So the question is why does KP "make it big" and these guys dont? Their choice maybe.

One of my favorite local bands from Columbus, Ohio got signed to a major label record deal a few years after I discovered them. I was ecstatic for them. The lead singer was female, and after the release of their first single, they parted ways with the major label. She released a statement saying she didn't want to conform to the over-sexed public image of female singers, and after much going back and forth, they left the label.

The returned to an indie label, and had some VERY minor single airplay on radio (most of it local to Columbus) and then disbanded a few years later. Tragic for me, as someone who loves their music and writing. Typical as far as the industry goes.

stlgph

Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:34 pm

She's absolutely horrid live.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

zippyjet

Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:05 pm

This is why I love these forums. I'm not a fan of 95% of today's music. No offense but Katy Perry's big hits all are grating and suck. But, I feel she has great stage presence a decent rack and legs I'd love rapped around me. Her smile is radiant. I'd like to hear how she'd handle cover versions of classic songs before I could say she was or wasn't talented.
I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!

andz

Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:54 am

I saw her movie/documentary a few months back on Emirates. I got the impression that she is a hard working girl who is single minded about what she wants and works hard to get it.

I read a comment above that she is horrid live. The live performances in the movie were pretty good.

What she ever saw in that tosspot Brand is beyond me, in the movie she got a text from him breaking up with her minutes before she was due to go on stage, but true to her fans the show went on.

My absolute favourite Salma Hayek is also mentioned in this thread so it's a good one  
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

kiwiinoz

Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:50 am

I think she is the following:

A good singer
Has a healthy sense of self worth
Has lived enough real life to relate to non-celebrities
A hard worker
Intelligent
Attractive

A think she is not the following:

A great musician
A creative genius
An airhead celebrity who is excited about being famous

I think the song, "roar" is a fantastic empowerment anthem for women, and whilst the music may not hasve come from her head, the message certainly did, and she really believes in it. True, it came from the whole Russell Brand thing but hey, that happens.

So, is she talented compared to John Lennon, Bob Dylan, Eric Clapton, Madonna, Freddie Merciry, Kurt Cobain, etc....no

But she is a damn sight more substantive than most "musicians" these days, and I am glad that my daughter has taken to listening to her music.

Kiwirob

Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:26 pm

Anyone who writes their own songs/music in my book is streets ahead of many of today's manufactured musicians.