Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jfklganyc
Topic Author

Christie: They Didn't Land At LaGuardia Airport

Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:17 pm

Seems like that JFK/LGA/EWR rivalry that exists on a.net also exists in the State House:

"It was good to sit at home yesterday and watch the two teams arrive," Christie said Monday afternoon. "And to all my friends in New York, I want to remind you they did not land at LaGuardia Airport, (and) God knows they did not land at JFK. They landed at Newark Liberty International Airport, because as I've been saying from the beginning ... the Super Bowl is in New Jersey."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...-proud-to-host-super-bowl/4951319/

Thank You Governor, for reinforcing that Newark is NJ and not NYC  

Mir

RE: Christie: They Didn't Land At LaGuardia Airport

Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:03 pm

Quoting jfklganyc (Thread starter):
"And to all my friends in New York, I want to remind you they did not land at LaGuardia Airport, (and) God knows they did not land at JFK. They landed at Newark Liberty International Airport, because as I've been saying from the beginning ... the Super Bowl is in New Jersey."

And to get to New Jersey from LGA or JFK they would have had to cross the George Washington Bridge, which carries too much risk of getting caught up in a vindictive traffic scheme.   

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

ordbosewr

Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:09 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 1):
And to get to New Jersey from LGA or JFK they would have had to cross the George Washington Bridge, which carries too much risk of getting caught up in a vindictive traffic scheme.

actually that is not completely correct. If I was trying to get to NJ from LGA or JFK I would avoid the GWB at all costs, it takes you to far north to only go south into NJ.
It would most likely involve a tunnel or the varrazano bridge, but that did not fit to your dig that you were taking against the governor.  

Mir

Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:22 pm

Quoting ORDBOSEWR (Reply 2):
If I was trying to get to NJ from LGA or JFK I would avoid the GWB at all costs, it takes you to far north to only go south into NJ.
It would most likely involve a tunnel or the varrazano bridge

If you're going to south Jersey then the Verazzano makes sense. If you're going to Newark it's about a wash. But if you're going to the stadium, and you're thinking of trying to get to either of the tunnels through the local streets of NYC instead of over the bridge, well...good luck to you.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

Western727

Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:22 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 1):
vindictive traffic scheme

My thoughts exactly. The guy's rep has definitely been sullied enough for everyone to think of that anytime he opens his mouth on matters related to transportation!  
Jack @ AUS

codc10

Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:28 pm

The teams are staying in Jersey City (Denver @ Hyatt Regency and Seattle @ Westin) so it would have made very little sense for the teams to fly elsewhere.

ordbosewr

Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:48 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 3):
If you're going to south Jersey then the Verazzano makes sense. If you're going to Newark it's about a wash. But if you're going to the stadium, and you're thinking of trying to get to either of the tunnels through the local streets of NYC instead of over the bridge, well...good luck to you.

We can agree to disagree, but there are times cutting across the city is the best way to go. I have done it a number of times.
Also, remember that when you cross the varrazano you can go up to the Goethals that gets you to upper NJ (right next to EWR). That is how many that commute into NYC or LI go. or you can go down to the outerbridge which is definitely more for central and southern NJ (ie the Shore).

tlecam

Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:08 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 3):

-Mir

I agree with you if you're coming from LGA. During NYC rush hour (which is basically from 6-10AM and 3-8PM, it regularly takes me an hour+ to get from LGA to midtown in a car service. JC is right over the Bayonne Bridge - much closer to lower Manhattan than Flushing and the Bronx.

Quoting ORDBOSEWR (Reply 6):
We can agree to disagree, but there are times cutting across the city is the best way to go. I have done it a number of times.
Also, remember that when you cross the varrazano you can go up to the Goethals that gets you to upper NJ (right next to EWR). That is how many that commute into NYC or LI go. or you can go down to the outerbridge which is definitely more for central and southern NJ (ie the Shore).

From JFK to Jersey City, I'd probably take the Verrazano. You could go up the Van Wyck to the Queens/Midtown Express, over the bridge and out the Holland, which would be shorter mileage wise than the Verrazano, but shit, that is a nightmare. There are other options than the Belt to get to the Verrazano if the Belt is backed up - which is basically all summer long. I'd also probably go over the Bayonne bridge rather than the Goethels.
BOS-LGA-JFK | A:319/20/21, 332/3, 346 || B:717, 735, 737, 738, 739, 752, 753, 762, 763, 764, 787, 772, 744 || MD80, MD90

airbazar

Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:42 pm

Something everyone outside of NYC already knows and I have no problem with him reinforcing it. In my opinion, New York only has one NFL team and that's the Buffalo Bills.

tjwgrr

Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:22 pm

.... and both teams flew quality USA built Boeing 767's to NJ.....    Not Airbuses.... no sir-ee....  stirthepot 

[Edited 2014-01-28 08:23:11]
Direct KNOBS, maintain 2700' until established on the localizer, cleared ILS runway 26 left approach.

ytib

Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:09 pm

and Christie will greet his fans upon arrival into TEB.   
318, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 388, 707, 717, 722, 732, 733, 734, 73Q, 735, 73G, 738, 7M8, 739, 752, 753, 742, 74L, 744, 762, 763, 772, 77L, 77W, 789, 142, CN1, CR2, CR7, DC8, DH2, DH8, D8Q, D10, D95, EM2, ER3, ER4, E70, 100, J31, M11, M83, M88, M90, SF3

JBAirwaysFan

Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:11 pm

Thank you Chris Christie for pointing out what we already know, but let's face it, the camera's will not be pointing at the Jersey City/Hoboken Skylines, they will be focused on the NYC skyline. Plus, brag all you want about them being in Jersey, but when they complain about that rancid smell us New Yorkers will point our fingers at you!
In Loving Memory of Casey Edward Falconer; May 16, 1992-May 9, 2012

bradmovie

Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:55 pm

I just hope they finish that darn traffic study so fans can get to the game!

BWI5OH

Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:44 pm

But if you're smart, you'll take the train from EWR into NYC....
"It's all fun and games until the cops show up"

Aeri28

Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:24 pm

Are they marketing the games as a New York Superbowl? I remember eons ago, the superbowl was in San Francisco, complete with Golden Gate bridge motifs and XXXXXX SanFrancisco, but it was actually held at Stanford in Palo Alto...

richierich

Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:34 pm

Chris Christie is stating the obvious by saying the SB is being held in NJ. By saying the teams didn't land in LGA and JFK, he is also mocking the historic NYC Mayor Fiorello La Guardia order that had his plane land in "New York" and not at Newark.

There is only one NFL team in New York. And they play in Buffalo.
None shall pass!!!!

jmc1975

Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:43 pm

Quoting Western727 (Reply 4):
definitely been sullied enough

Speaking of Sully, the Hudson River is adjacent to the geography of this topic.

PanAm1971

Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:26 pm

Says the bridge troll. Give it a rest already.

Western727

Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:39 pm

Hey, laughter's the best medicine.
Jack @ AUS

rwy04lga

Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:36 pm

Something I've been saying all along. Now it's official.

Granted, SB XLVIII is being played in NJ, but the big money will be made/spent in NY. Thank you, NJ !
Just accept that some days, you're the pigeon, and other days the statue

SkyTeamTriStar

Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:32 pm

Comparing NJ Vs. NY? Hmmm……thats like comparing NoVA (Northern Virginia suburbs of D.C.) with West Virginia. Eh, aint feeling it….

greenwichsud

Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:52 pm

Petty NJ vs. NY rhetoric...it's too provincial and divisive for someone with POTUS ambitions. On second thought, this meshes perfectly with the picture drawn of of him by the mayors of Hoboken and Fort Lee and Corey Booker and perhaps he's already been advised to brush those ambitions aside for the 2016 cycle.

JBAirwaysFan

Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:18 am

Chris Christie can say that all he wants, but then he should correct UA when they brag about being the largest carrier in NYC. They're the largest carrier in Northern New Jersey.
In Loving Memory of Casey Edward Falconer; May 16, 1992-May 9, 2012

b747400erf

Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:10 am

but that did not fit to your dig that you were taking against the governor.

Yeah, what did the governor do to deserve such treatment? Give the man some respect!

MeninoNYC

Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:15 am

LOL - I had my hopes for Chris Christie but after the Bridge I think his future is just like rush hours over the GWB when he orders to close half pf it just for the gun ot doing so !!!
The all state of New Jersey doesn't support a small airport anywhere. I was thinking maybe Atlantic City but no airlink never survives long there. Everyone in south Jersey prefer to cross the other Bridge and go to Philly - LOL
And his remind that the Teams had land in Newark, remind us the better play by our Mayor Fiorelo LaGuardia when he got a ticket to New York City and the Plane landed in Christie's Newark and the Mayor refuse to leave the Plane. After all, he was not in New York City, not even in New York State. They had to fly him to right side of the Hudson - LOL
From my window I see Russia - I mean, LGA & JFK :)

N62NA

Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:48 am

Quoting JBAirwaysFan (Reply 11):
when they complain about that rancid smell us New Yorkers will point our fingers at you!

There isn't any "rancid smell" emanating from NJ. 50 years ago when the pig farms were in Secaucus, yes, but not in the past few decades.

mayor

Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:39 am

Quoting richierich (Reply 15):
There is only one NFL team in New York. And they play in Buffalo.

I'm guessing that they would be more than happy to let you have the Jets in NJ.
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

RDUDDJI

Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:03 am

Quoting SkyTeamTriStar (Reply 20):
Comparing NJ Vs. NY? Hmmm……thats like comparing NoVA (Northern Virginia suburbs of D.C.) with West Virginia. Eh, aint feeling it….

Except in that case W.Va is much preferred to NoVA.
Sometimes we don't realize the good times when we're in them

gihanjaya380

Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:51 am

I applaud him for mentioning about the logicality of where the airport belongs but I think Gov. Christie should stay clear of these kinds of comments. He just love to make such comments and fall in to trouble with the media again.

milesrich

Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:26 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 1):

actually that is not completely correct. If I was trying to get to NJ from LGA or JFK I would avoid the GWB at all costs, it takes you to far north to only go south into NJ.
It would most likely involve a tunnel or the varrazano bridge, but that did not fit to your dig that you were taking against the governor.  

If you are going to the Meadowlands, the GWB Bridge and then the Triborough would be the quickest and shortest routes to LGA. Mapquest claims the Holland Tunnel is two minutes faster to JFK than the GWB. The Verrazano is way of the way.

rampart

Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:27 am

Quoting JBAirwaysFan (Reply 11):
Plus, brag all you want about them being in Jersey, but when they complain about that rancid smell us New Yorkers will point our fingers at you!

How mature of you to point that out. Such a tiresome and out of touch taunt. You're downwind from the Gowanus Canal and all that lovely kerosene at JFK, ever think of that? How much clean air and open space do you have in your neighborhood? Would you like to compare it to my neighborhood?

Quoting bradmovie (Reply 12):
I just hope they finish that darn traffic study so fans can get to the game!

HA! LOL!

Quoting rwy04lga (Reply 19):
but the big money will be made/spent in NY.

Jersey City is cleaning up with the hotels, as will all those hotels in an around Secaucus and East Rutherford.

-Rampart

Cadet985

Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:28 pm

Quoting JBAirwaysFan (Reply 22):

Chris Christie can say that all he wants, but then he should correct UA when they brag about being the largest carrier in NYC. They're the largest carrier in Northern New Jersey.

They're the largest carrier in ALL of New Jersey. Spirit and Frontier which fly into ACY and TTN respectively can't hold a candle to what UA does in one hour at EWR.

Marc

rwy04lga

Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:10 am

Quoting rampart (Reply 30):
Quoting rwy04lga (Reply 19):
but the big money will be made/spent in NY.

Jersey City is cleaning up with the hotels, as will all those hotels in an around Secaucus and East Rutherford.

Yes, but I said 'BIG' money...and not limited to hotels. Again, thank you, NJ.
Just accept that some days, you're the pigeon, and other days the statue

doug_or

Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:41 am

Quoting Cadet985 (Reply 31):

They're the largest carrier in ALL of New Jersey. Spirit and Frontier which fly into ACY and TTN respectively can't hold a candle to what UA does in one hour at EWR.

Big fish, tiny, fetid pond.

(kidding)

(mostly)
When in doubt, one B pump off

seb146

Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:41 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 1):
to get to New Jersey from LGA or JFK they would have had to cross the George Washington Bridge,
I would avoid the GWB at all costs, it takes you to far north to only go south into NJ.
It would most likely involve a tunnel or the varrazano bridge
Quoting Mir (Reply 3):
If you're going to south Jersey then the Verazzano makes sense. If you're going to Newark it's about a wash. But if you're going to the stadium, and you're thinking of trying to get to either of the tunnels through the local streets of NYC instead of over the bridge

No, no, no.... You should take the causeway in order to avoid crosstown traffic and then go around the circle but you have to pay the toll on the expressway!

It's a thing my brother and I do when we give each other directions to anywhere.

Back on topic: I understand his frustration. I grew up in eastern Oregon. I always have to clarify that because if I simply say "I grew up in Oregon" the first thing I hear is something about either Portland or Eugene.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!