bristolflyer
Topic Author

Greatest Country In The World

Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:28 am

As an immigrant to the US I will occasionally wheel out the 'greatest country in the world' phrase when talking about the UK. It is usually met with laughter by my US friends as if they are saying 'yeah whatever, we all know which is the greatest country'. I love the US and I love the UK for many different reasons. I feel that there are probably many countries out there sneering at the US thinking 'you keep telling yourself that you're the greatest, that;s fine by us' - and they carry on living their superior lives.

So which county do you think is the greatest, and for what reasons? Why do you love the place you live? Why do you hate it?
Fortune favours the brave

DeltaMD90

RE: Greatest Country In The World

Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:35 am

There are many categories a country can be the greatest in, and a lot of it is subjective. Having grown up here and having traveled a lot, I think the US is the best for me, though I would pick and choose parts from other countries if I could. Had I grown up somewhere else I might have thought much differently

So... the US I guess? Sorry, that's pretty boring  

seb146

Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:41 am

Citizens of any country will tell you their country is best. I have only been to three countries and all are wonderful because (fill in the blank). I think Finland and Estonia are great countries. I have never been there but they seem like really fun countries with great people. As far as the countries I have visited, Canada and United States are neck-and-neck.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

Airstud

Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:43 am

Growing up in the 1980's I was confident that America was the greatest country on Earth, but my estimation of this land has fallen far, falling different distances at different times for vastly different and at times intangible reasons.

Ironically, the first falling had to do with the fall of the Soviet Union. It's not that I felt my country was any the weaker for it, but prosecuting the Cold War had been such a gigantic a part of our national identity for my entire life that there's no gauging the malaise I felt when it ended. How were we to keep being the big-man-on-campus now that there was no campus?

I felt a lllllllllllot less proud of this country when we invaded Iraq (I don't want to say anything that's going to turn this thread into a debate on the Iraq war, I just have to touch on it for the sake of answering the OP's question).

And the thing that keeps my estimation of the United States as low as it now is, is the staggering ignorance and lack of very basic education among the masses. Look at those "Jaywalking" segments or any number of YouTube videos in which Americans are stopped on the street and evince, with the help of the interviewers' visual aids, that they believe that gigantic, subcontinent-sized Commonwealth country south of Indonesia to be Iran. Or that they use American money in Great Britain. Or that Arizona is in Italy. (all actual examples)

The gal who cuts my hair is well into her 20's and when I met her for the first time last summer, for some reason the subject of Jimmy Carter came up in the conversation and she had absolutely no idea who he was. Had never heard of him.
Pancakes are delicious.

FlyingSicilian

Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:50 am

Somalia: nice beaches, decent Italian food, money goes a long way, freedom to do anything you want, and no government bureaucrats to ruin everything.

For me though my top three would be:
Texas, Sicily, and Bavaria

[Edited 2014-01-29 21:52:39]
“Without seeing Sicily it is impossible to understand Italy.Sicily is the key of everything.”-Goethe "Journey to Italy"

Airstud

Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:11 am

Quoting FlyingSicilian (Reply 4):
Sicily, and Bavaria

mmmm.... pizza and pretzels   
Pancakes are delicious.

kiwiinoz

Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:33 am

Of course there will only be opinion, but I think there could be a way to develop a weighted scorecard. Could be an interesting exercise.

One of the problems is, some of the measures of true greatness are intangible. Some places just have a "soul" that lifts you whenever you are there.

Anyway, how about the following criteria. I have weighted them based on my opinion:

Natural Environment: 15
Lifestyle: 15
Culture & Values: 15
Moral Human Citizenship: 10
History: 10
Entertainment: 10
Stability: 10
"Soul" Factor: 10
Technology: 5
Productivity: 55

So, If I was to rate NZ out of 10 for each category, (my home country) I would rate it:

Natural Environment: 9
Lifestyle: 8
Culture & Values: 6
Moral Human Citizenship: 8
History: 4
Entertainment: 7
Stability: 9
"Soul" Factor: 5
Technology: 5
Productivity: 6

Giving NZ a final score of 7.3.

[Edited 2014-01-29 22:36:07]

Aaron747

Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:49 am

Quoting kiwiinoz (Reply 6):
Of course there will only be opinion, but I think there could be a way to develop a weighted scorecard. Could be an interesting exercise.

One of the problems is, some of the measures of true greatness are intangible. Some places just have a "soul" that lifts you whenever you are there.

This is a fascinating exercise. I will compare my opinions of the two countries in which I have lived - I should note these responses are based on living in an urban area in each.

USA:

Lifestyle: 7
Culture & Values: 5.5
Moral Human Citizenship: 7
Entertainment: 8.5
Stability: 7
"Soul" Factor: 7
Technology: 6.5

Japan:

Natural Environment: 6.5
Culture & Values: 7
Moral Human Citizenship: 5
History: 8
Entertainment: 7.5
Stability: 6
Technology: 7.5
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

MrChips

Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:23 am

For me though my top three would be:

Very funny, but last I checked, precisely zero countries on Earth recognise these places as countries.

Also, this is obligatory, given the subject matter (language is a bit not safe for work): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZFRmVFn7WM

For what it's worth, Canada sure isn't the greatest country on Earth either; if anything, we're falling faster than the US these days.
Time...to un-pimp...ze auto!

PanHAM

Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:06 am

The European Union with all it's little problems, simply because the formation of the union and the single market made sure that this continent got rid of the big problems.

The USA would qualify but only minus the Patriot Act and minus Zero tolerance.

The UK is high on my list, but what would scare me if i were a UK citizen is the fact that my Country can extradite me to a foreign power. I would consider that as treason.

My own Country forbids that, citizens are protected by the best constitution we ever had and I guess we made quite a turn in the past 70 years or so. Something we can be proud of.
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

kiwiinoz

Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:01 am

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 7):
Culture & Values: 5.5
Moral Human Citizenship: 7
Entertainment: 8.5
Stability: 7
Technology: 6.5

So under my weighting system, USA came out with a score of 7.2, (although I have to say, yuo short changed them on history a little!!)

Natural Environment: 6.5
Culture & Values: 7
Moral Human Citizenship: 5
History: 8
Entertainment: 7.5
Stability: 6
Technology: 7.5

And Japan got a 7.25

Roughly as great as each other, for very differing reasons

flyingturtle

Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:11 am

Where have you all been living for the past years?

Kazakhstan, greatest country of the world... all other countries are run by little girls... *singing*

Well, I'd probably change between Sicilia (for my holidays), Canada (for working), London (the true world capital), and beside that, I very much agree with

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 9):

David
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

Aesma

Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:50 pm

I like my country (France) for sure, and if I want to move on another continent, it could still be France, with all the overseas territories. Otherwise my mother is Italian and I like that country too, beautiful with plenty to see, the people are much like French people so it's not too much of a culture shock.

I've been to Canada but not in a good situation to gauge the country, the people I stayed with in Montreal were very nice, though.

No mention of security in the criteria. Number of murders and all that. With all the US movies and TV series I'm watching, I feel I could live in the US without trouble except for all the people with guns, and the general law enforcement situation. I would fear I could find myself on the wrong side of the law too easily, like that uncle I have that lived in Fresno for some time and was handcuffed for speeding !

Quoting bristolflyer (Thread starter):
I feel that there are probably many countries out there sneering at the US thinking 'you keep telling yourself that you're the greatest, that;s fine by us' - and they carry on living their superior lives.

In France many definitely have this attitude. I went to see a one man show on new year's eve in Paris, in English, by a French guy who lived 6 years in Miami as a butler. The public was very cosmopolitan, and the comedian played on this by asking for the name of the countries we were from, and then commenting a bit on it. To US citizens, he asked :
- "are you happy to be Americans ?"
- "Yes !"
- "Well, I'm happy to be French !"
The show was mostly mocking the French and more precisely the Parisians, but throughout, the Americans (and the British) got remarks worth their money too, since he compares the two countries a lot.

Here is an extract of the show, enjoy : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxTb2rbfscA
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

AirPacific747

Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:59 pm

I think the US has potential. I love the country but must admit that I think it doesn't seem as great as it used to when I was a kid, unfortunately.

CXB77L

Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:04 pm

Quoting seb146 (Reply 2):
Citizens of any country will tell you their country is best.

Yes, there'll be some who say that. Then there'll be others who hold to the view that the grass is always greener on the other side, until they find otherwise by actually living and working there. I guess what I'm trying to say is that there is no "perfect" country.

That being said, I do like Australia. I like the living and working conditions here, and I like the health care and social welfare system in place which, in my view, is significantly better than that of other countries (such as the US). But from a tourist's perspective, I'd say there isn't much to do - at least, not in PER, and being the flattest continent in the world, I'd say there isn't much in the way of natural beauty either. I'd love to visit the UK, Canada and the Scandinavian countries for the natural beauty, but I have no idea what it's like to work and live there.
Boeing 777 fanboy

einsteinboricua

Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:44 pm

Judging by the standards, I'd say any of the Nordic countries can claim that title...and Canada.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

dc9northwest

Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:17 pm

Things to consider, for me (not an exclusive list)

1) Crime rate (for violent crimes in particular)
2) Convenience of living
3) Availability and reliability of public transportation
4) Quality of available products
5) Beauty (e.g. mountains and lakes)
6) Public cleanliness
7) Sense of aesthetics
8) How progressive the people are

I agree with some others posted above.

USA fails 1) and to a large extent 3). Also sort of fails for 4) to some extent--cheap stuff but reasonably often rather low-quality (I'm thinking of food, for instance). For high quality products, specifically restaurants and hotels, it is no cheaper than Switzerland, and the tipping culture inflates prices to an even higher level.

Switzerland fails 2), at least in Geneva, but generally 4) is very good, as is 6). 8) on the other hand, not so much. The Swiss are too traditional, although not as bad as the (Southern and Midwestern) USA

Romania fails most of them, especially 4, 6, 7, 8. 3 is average, although better than the States. 1 is fine unless you like to drink in bars/clubs (I don't). 2 is fine. 5 also fine, although 6 comes in to kick it in the ass.

I do think countries like Norway and Sweden have all of 1-8 to some extent. I don't know about 2, since I've only visited.

Aesma

Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:30 pm

Quoting CXB77L (Reply 14):
Yes, there'll be some who say that. Then there'll be others who hold to the view that the grass is always greener on the other side, until they find otherwise by actually living and working there. I guess what I'm trying to say is that there is no "perfect" country.

I think the point the OP is making is that people in the US are telling each other that the US is the greatest, they say it in political speeches, as an "argument", etc., instead of just thinking it for themselves or when discussing other countries (you have to actually be able to compare to do that). In a way the simple fact that they need to convince each other of that greatness is pretty telling.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

n229nw

Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:43 pm

Quoting flyingturtle (Reply 11):
Kazakhstan, greatest country of the world... all other countries are run by little girls... *singing*

It's all about the potassium!! Not a single person remembered to put "potassium" on the list of criteria for greatness above...

I would add some other elements to the list of criteria too though, seriously.
One is humor, love of life, etc. (I guess that can go under what KiwininOz called "soul" factor)
Another is sense of social justice and treatment of citizens in historically weaker social positions (women, gays, ethnic minorities, immigrants, etc.) Perhaps that can go under what has been called "moral human character" or "how progressive the people are" above...No country has a historically great record here, but some have really come a long way recently, and others, not so much.
Another is food (which can go under "culture" but points our that for different people different aspects of "culture" are most decisive...)

Anyway, I guess my list, based on balancing all the factors in the various lists above (even though each has different problems that detract) would have to include:

Canada
Sweden
UK
All Glory to the Hypnotoad!

Braniff747SP

Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:50 pm

Quoting bristolflyer (Thread starter):
o which county do you think is the greatest, and for what reasons?

Subjective question with no brightline, but I can tell you that it isn't the US.
The 747 will always be the TRUE queen of the skies!

casinterest

Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:11 pm

Quoting einsteinboricua (Reply 15):
Judging by the standards, I'd say any of the Nordic countries can claim that title...and Canada.

Maybe we should add climate as a factor?

I still say the US is the best. You can go to many different places in the US, and get what you want for any number of factors.

Natural Environment: 10 Detrot downtown vs Mammoth cave, Grand Canyon, Hawaii Volcanoes, Florida Beaches......
Lifestyle: 10 laid back south, shoot em up south Chicago, busy NYC
Culture & Values: 10. We have a wide culture and many different values. It's what make half the threads on Anet fun.
Moral Human Citizenship: 8 When applied to the whole country, as it affects humanity, there are places for advancement
History: 8 It's a short one, but it is really amazing. especially the last 80 of it.
Entertainment: 10. Hollywood, Seattle, Nashville, and Broadway
Stability: 9
"Soul" Factor: New Orleans, San Francisco, Detroit, Bronx, Boston, Miami
Technology: 10 787, Tesla, Google, Apple, GM
Productivity: 9 Still one of the most productive workforces in the world.
Where ever you go, there you are.

DeltaMD90

Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:24 pm

Quoting Aesma (Reply 12):
I feel I could live in the US without trouble except for all the people with guns, and the general law enforcement situation.

Although we have some of these problems, it's still a very rare occurrence. I don't know anyone that lives with fear of getting shot or abused by the police (though I think that might be different if you live in the inner cities)

rwy04lga

Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:29 pm

3 non-countries (except Texas at one time or another).

New Zealand rates very high on my list.
Just accept that some days, you're the pigeon, and other days the statue

Aaron747

Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:55 am

Quoting kiwiinoz (Reply 10):
And Japan got a 7.25

Roughly as great as each other, for very differing reasons

'10' is a pretty high bar. I marked '4' because the US has a very rich history, but packed into just 238 years. If the US had a boring or insignificant history, I've had rated it a 1.

Japan got an '8' owing to its incredibly rich history going back to the Yayoi period of 400 BC. I guess the '10s' would belong more to the likes of Turkey, China, India, and so on.

Anyway, just how I was thinking about it.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

RyanairGuru

Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:17 am

I'm going to go ahead and say Australia.

I've lived in UK, USA, and Australia, and IMHO this is the best of the three, in part because (in the words of someone else) Australia blends the best of America with the best of Britain, while still being very much its own country. I couldn't agree with that statement more 
Quoting casinterest (Reply 20):

Natural Environment: 9 - we're pretty decent geographically, from Tasmania to the Reef to the desert, Australia has more natural diversity than many imagine.
Lifestyle: 10
Culture & Values: 9 - subjective (and what does it mean?) but I reckon we're pretty high
Moral Human Citizenship: 9
History: 5
Entertainment: 7
"Soul" Factor: 8
Technology: 8 - I'm lumping R&D with this. Australia has excellent R&D/innovation, but is little noted. A recent example is the HPV vaccine that all teenage schoolgirls now receive, which came from the University of Queensland.
Productivity: eekk, 7.5 maybe. Our high wages decimate our "productivity" values by global standards.

Quoting dc9northwest (Reply 16):

1) Crime rate (for violent crimes in particular) - 9.5
2) Convenience of living - 9
3) Availability and reliability of public transportation - 7.5, better than America, worse than Northern Europe
4) Quality of available products - 9.5
5) Beauty (e.g. mountains and lakes) - subjective, but see above, I think we do pretty well
6) Public cleanliness - 8.5
7) Sense of aesthetics - depends what you look for, if you like "modern" cities then 10
8) How progressive the people are - 8
Worked Hard, Flew Right

doug_or

Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:56 am

Quoting flyingturtle (Reply 11):
Quoting n229nw (Reply 18):
It's all about the potassium!! Not a single person remembered to put "potassium" on the list of criteria for greatness above...

Indeed, mineral exports in general are a key factor for greatness. As is cleanliness and quality of prostitutes.
When in doubt, one B pump off

Aaron747

Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:07 am

Hmmm another interesting scale:

1) Crime rate (for violent crimes in particular) - 9.5 (there is almost no threat in Japan unless you piss off yakuza)
2) Convenience of living - 9 (you can get anything delivered in Japan, nearly anytime)
3) Availability and reliability of public transportation - 9.5 (would be perfect if not for suicides)
4) Quality of available products - 7 (lots of made in China crap)
5) Beauty (e.g. mountains and lakes) - 6.5 (wonderful places, but too many transmission lines on the mountains)
6) Public cleanliness - 8.5 (only the worst areas are tangibly gritty)
7) Sense of aesthetics - 7 (modern Japanese design is wonderful, as is traditional. the 1960s-1980s stuff is so very bad)
8) How progressive the people are - 5

flymia

Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:27 am

USA:

Natural Environment: 100. Really we have it all. Hawaii, Alaska, The Rockies, Grand Canyon, Florida and Puerto Rico. Has it all.

Culture & Values: Culture 10, melting pot of the world. Values 8.
Moral Human Citizenship: 8
History: 7 young but such a huge player the last 200 years.
Entertainment: 10, Professional sports, entertainment industry etc.. It is the leader.
Technology: 7
Productivity: 9 Still works hard.

Education: 6
Crime: 5
Cost of Living: 8
Aviation  : 10

I think the majority of people will say they love their country and it is the greatest. If someone asked me which country is the greatest I would say the USA. Plenty of other great countries I respect like Canada, UK, Germany, Japan, Australia, New Zealand...
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

Airstud

Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:43 am

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 9):
citizens are protected by the best constitution we ever had and I guess we made quite a turn in the past 70 years or so. Something we can be proud of.

Plus, pretzels.
Pancakes are delicious.

n229nw

Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:57 am

Quoting Airstud (Reply 28):
Plus, pretzels.

Airstud, don't you need to start your own rating system for countries?

The criteria as follows:

Pancakes (1 to 10)
Pancakes (1 to 10)
Pancakes (1 to 10)
All Glory to the Hypnotoad!

dc9northwest

Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:25 am

I'll do a rating for the 3 countries I've lived in (although, for the USA, it's almost impossible to do it appropriately since it differs so much between places)

USA

1) Crime rate (for violent crimes in particular) 4 -- Chicago and Kansas City are terrible, lots of places average, lots of places perfectly ok.
2) Convenience of living 6 -- pretty convenient, in theory... if you're in a large city or if you have a car. So, in most places, not that convenient.
3) Availability and reliability of public transportation 4 -- only in large cities
4) Quality of available products 7 -- better than average, I guess.
5) Beauty (e.g. mountains and lakes) 9 -- pretty much anything you want, but also large areas of flatland.
6) Public cleanliness 7 -- depends on where you are
7) Sense of aesthetics 6 -- most of the skyscrapers are interesting, I guess
8) How progressive the people are 6 -- this is an average between different places I've lived and experienced.

Average: 6.125

Switzerland

1) Crime rate (for violent crimes in particular) 9 -- burglaries only
2) Convenience of living 6 -- you can find anything... during business hours (not very long)
3) Availability and reliability of public transportation 9 -- not available during weekdays late at night...
4) Quality of available products 8 -- generally good quality stuff
5) Beauty (e.g. mountains and lakes) 10 -- everything, and within a small area
6) Public cleanliness 8 -- decent, some gritty areas of course
7) Sense of aesthetics 6 -- cities aren't all that beautiful, but the architecture is varied.
8) How progressive the people are 6 -- not very, but it could be worse.

Average: 7.75

Romania

1) Crime rate (for violent crimes in particular) 8 -- not the best, but unless you get drunk, nothing is gonna happen to you, in all likelihood.
2) Convenience of living 8 -- pretty cheap, and at least in Bucharest, stuff is open all night.
3) Availability and reliability of public transportation 7 -- availability good, reliability decent.
4) Quality of available products 5 -- not very good or rather expensive; food is ok though
5) Beauty (e.g. mountains and lakes) 8 -- lots of stuff, but if people can get there easily... eh, dirty
6) Public cleanliness 3 -- LOL
7) Sense of aesthetics 3 -- Bucharest's probably the ugliest city in Europe, in Transylvania it's better (modern: 1, traditional: 5)
8) How progressive the people are 3 -- nope, not at all.

Average: 5.625

flymia

Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:38 am

Quoting dc9northwest (Reply 30):
5) Beauty (e.g. mountains and lakes) 10 -- everything, and within a small area

Those tropical beaches, coral reefs, desserts, and volcanoes of Switzerland are fantastic this time of year.     Give Switzerland a 10 but the USA a 9 in this? Guess we all have our favorites.

[Edited 2014-01-30 21:40:00]
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

dc9northwest

Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:53 am

Quoting flymia (Reply 31):
Those tropical beaches, coral reefs, desserts, and volcanoes of Switzerland are fantastic this time of year.    Give Switzerland a 10 but the USA a 9 in this? Guess we all have our favorites.

It's all subjective, but I don't care about tropical weather and/or beaches. So, yeah, it should say "everything I like", I guess.

No complaints about the guy giving Chicago's "lifestyle" a 10, though, right? It's perfectly fine to murder people with guns, I suppose.

B777LRF

Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:09 am

One thing is for certain, it will not be the country who's citizens often lay claim to that title. In fact, such a thing as 'greatest country' probably doesn't even exist, but the closest you are going to get will probably be somewhere in Northern Europe. Switzerland could be a contender, but they are exceedingly boring people (consultant prototypes, if you like), there's the whole dodgy banking sector to contend with and the prices are astronomical.

My vote, all things considered, would be Denmark. But then again, the fact you can't legally carry a handgun in public would be a call for immediate disqualification from some quarters. Others would say it's too socialist, too homogenous, the taxes are too high, the landscape is boring and the weather is mainly crap - all of which would be true.
Signature. You just read one.

initious

Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:26 pm

Quoting seb146 (Reply 2):
Citizens of any country will tell you their country is best.

Unfortunately, I am not going to say Singapore is the best. In fact I want to move out ASAP.

Australia ranks the first on my life. The people, culture, traffic, roads, environment, climate (minus the heatwave a few weeks ago) are all much better than what we have here. Oh, it doesn't help that we have a money hungry government.  
One day I will fly around the world!

solarflyer22

Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:17 pm

An interesting question. It immediately made think of this video from the HBO TV series on a newscast:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMqcLUqYqrs

I immigrated to the USA from Iran back in 1980 and I have been to a huge number of places around the world. I don't think the US can credibly take number 1. It has a lot of polarization but it has some exceptional places and qualities no doubt. Its just on the extreme of everything, either its really, really good or just terrible.

I always felt and still do that Switzerland was number 1. You have to factor in the culture of the people. The Swiss are honest, hard working, not judgmental, curious, polite and a little shy. I like that. Their healthcare and transit system are always good. Its civil society where everything works and their is a lot of personal freedom. Their geography is absolutely stunning with mountains, lakes greenery etc. They are delightfully multicultural (German, Italian, Romansch and French) and naturally artistic. Our family lived in Neuchatel for many years and went to University there along with Iran's first democratically elected PM, Mossadegh. I literally never heard anyone saying anything bad and tens of thousands of Iranians studied there. They also don't have the WW2 complex that other European nation have. I love that they are neutral.

smittyone

Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:35 pm

"Greatest country on the face of the earth" is yet another national myth of the US. Kind of makes me want to retch when constantly hearing it in speeches etc...it is what it is.

This place really is great though, even if it is wasted on a large part of the populace. The thing that keeps me going is the thought that when you strip away all the bullshit there is a nucleus of people who 'get it' and are carrying the load for those who don't. If I ever perceive that to be untrue it will be time to move on.

I

zhiao

Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:01 am

Obviously the US isn't the greatest at everything but when I think of the word great I think of overall influence and prowess, as opposed to micro categories like public transportation or crime rates. In this regard I don't think anyone can negate that the US is the greatest ie most important country.

"Great" need not mean "best."

MadameConcorde

Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:13 am

Greatest country in the world?

Switzerland gets my vote. Three countries in one. Beauty at every corner, clean and safe.

Adequate transport everywhere to the smallest village. Most beautiful mountains. Matterhorn is sublime.

There are 4 official languages Romanche, German, French and Italian.

There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

Mortyman

Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:56 am

NORWAY:

The country has the fourth-highest per capita income in the world on the World Bank and IMF lists, as well as ninth-highest on a more comprehensive CIA list. On a per-capita basis, it is the world's largest producer of oil and natural gas outside the Middle East, From 2001 to 2006, and then again from 2009 to 2012, Norway had the highest Human Development Index ranking in the world. Norway has also topped the Legatum Prosperity Index for the last five years. The OECD ranks Norway third in social mobility and fourth on the 2013 equalized Better Life Index . From 2010 to 2012, Norway was classified as the most democratic country by the Democracy Index.

In other Words, still room for improvments

The more important stuff:

Girls / Ladies

Vikings and history in general

The nature / landscape ( As a travelreporter from New Zealand once wrote about the beautiful landscape; Norway is New Zealand on steroids  

Music ( for those who are not slaves of international charts )

Strict gun laws

Foreign policy: I like the fact that we are a big contributor in aid, an active peace negotiator around the world and that we are an active member in the UN and NATO.

Negative in my opinion:

Politicians are too slow in getting things done. Spends way to much time and money on debating and on consultants ...

Weather: Summers are too short, autums and winters too long ... I love the fact that we have 4 seasons though ...

Our millitary veterans are not always getting all the economical and Medical help they need when it comes to post traumatic stress after missions / service ends

Same as above, goes for our pioneers in the oil industry in 70’s who risked their lives diving deeper than anyone at the time had ever done before, into the North sea in order to get Our oilproduction started.

Mike89406

Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:39 am

This is really a subjective question. What is the greatest country? I don't really know how to answer that. I'm a world traveler and seen many countries I think each country has its own charm for the most part. I have to say Australia in particular "Tasmania was top of my list. Visiting Europe was a once in a lifetime experience. For Example; I was able to see London, Paris, Rome, Marseille, Nice, Trieste, Palma De Mallorca, Corfu, Naples, and Sicily.

Sailed thru the Straits of Gibraltar, Mediterraneanean Sea, between Sardina and Corsica, Suez Canal, Red Sea, Arabian Sea, Persian Gulf. In the Middle East I visited Dubai, and Manama Bahrain on multiple occasions, Sailed down across the equator to Australia the long trek back to Hawaii and San Diego.

I lived all over the US and Midway Island, Taiwan.

I lived in California 3 times and now I'm back for a long time. San Diego is the best major city in California or west coast, why? Because it's not LA. LA is dirty and too overcrowded for my taste but it's great to visit, fly out of, and stay a couple days. SF is very nice but also crowded. San Diego is laid back, easy to navigate, less traffic problems than LA, and the weather is awesome year round.

I loved Miami and driving the Florida Keys for the tropical feeling and liveliness.

dc9northwest

Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:24 pm

Quoting Mortyman (Reply 39):
Music ( for those who are not slaves of international charts )

If we consider music, Norway and Sweden definitely win.

flyingturtle

Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:04 pm

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 38):

Depends on where you live - the cultural horizon can be pretty narrow, lots of tea-partiers here. And that's why Germany and Switzerland have pretty much a tie IMHO.

The obvious tie-breaker are the mountains.  

David
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

melpax

Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:18 pm

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 24):
Technology: 8 - I'm lumping R&D with this. Australia has excellent R&D/innovation, but is little noted. A recent example is the HPV vaccine that all teenage schoolgirls now receive, which came from the University of Queensland.

Don't forget WiFi as well

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WiFi
Essendon - Whatever it takes......

larshjort

Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:51 pm

Quoting Mortyman (Reply 39):
NORWAY

I agree. The only downside really is cost, which isn't a problem if you are employed in Norway. I was looking at apartments in the Stavanger/Sola area, the prices are crazy.

Quoting dc9northwest (Reply 41):

If we consider music, Norway and Sweden definitely win.

Sweden yes, but Norway? What good music has come out of Norway since A-HA?
139, 306, 319, 320, 321, 332, 34A, AN2, AT4, AT5, AT7, 733, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 146, AR1, BH2, CN1, CR2, DH1, DH3, DH4,

dc9northwest

Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:52 pm

Quoting larshjort (Reply 44):
What good music has come out of Norway since A-HA?

Black metal. The best music in the world.

What is A-HA?

Aesma

Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:34 pm

Quoting zhiao (Reply 37):
Obviously the US isn't the greatest at everything but when I think of the word great I think of overall influence and prowess, as opposed to micro categories like public transportation or crime rates. In this regard I don't think anyone can negate that the US is the greatest ie most important country.

"Great" need not mean "best."

Well, the US has lots of influence no doubt, but is that a good influence ?

bjorn14

Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:51 pm

Every citizen claims to have the best country but it begs the question. If its so great why are you living here.
"I want to know the voice of God the rest is just details" --A. Einstein

Mike89406

Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:28 pm

Quoting bjorn14 (Reply 47):

I agree.

Mortyman

Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:49 pm

Quoting larshjort (Reply 44):
What good music has come out of Norway since A-HA?

A-ha, Lene Marlin, Röyksopp, Bertine Zetlitz, Christel Alsos, Donkeyboy, Envy, Ida Jenshus, Ingrid Olava, Katzenjammer, Madcon, Paperboys, Madugada, Ane Brun, Margaret Berger, Mari Boine, Maria Mena, Marte Wulff, Midnight Choir, Navigators, Unni Wlhelmsen, Paal Flaata, Sassybeat, Secret Garden, Sissel Kyrkjebø, Sondre Lrche, Susanne Sundfør, TNT, Tine Thing Helseth, Ugress, Ylvis to name just a few.

But ofcourse, as I mentioned in a post above, you need to go a bit beyond charts. That is where the good Music is today. In general Danes and Swedes are not as interested in Norway as we are in Our neighbours, so I wont be surprised if you have'nt heard any of these names before. You are however not very uppdated, if all you know about Norwegian music is A-ha ...

Might aslo add that Norwegian record producers and songwriters have been writing and producing alot for US artists in the last 10 years. Artists includes, Rihanna, Beyonce, Shakira, Lionel Richie, Ne-Yo, Katy Perry, Mary J Blige, Jennifer Lopez, Keith Urban, etc