Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

TWA772LR
Topic Author

Looking For A New Phone. Thoughts?

Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:46 am

Im looking to buy a new cell phone. I'm currently looking at the Nexus 5, HTC One, Moto X, and Moto G. What are your thoughts? I'm leaving towards the nexus 5 because I like Google's product and my Nexus tablet.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

CaliAtenza

RE: Looking For A New Phone. Thoughts?

Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:15 am

wait till the Galaxy S5 and HTC One 2 come out by April. This is the worst time to buy a new phone...

Maverick623

Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:19 am

Quoting CaliAtenza (Reply 1):
wait till the Galaxy S5 and HTC One 2 come out by April.

For the record, I have the Galaxy S4, and I love it (with the exception of Samsung's bloatware, but they are easily disabled and with the increase in storage capacity, doesn't really bother that anymore).
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

steman

Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:40 am

I have an HTC ONE since April last year and I really love it. But I had the chance to use a Nexus 5 this past Weekend and I must admit it is one sleek Piece of machinery.
It´s very light and it has a bigger Screen than the One without being physically bigger.
The Google Environment seems to be very well integrated.
But I find the Sense Skin on the HTC very pleasant and I use anyway a different launcher with custom Icon sets, because I don´t like the look and feel of the pure Android experience

NWADC9

Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:41 pm

Quoting TWA772LR (Thread starter):
Nexus 5

Since I'm on Verizon, I did not consider it when I was on the search for a new phone. But if you are not on Verizon, want a pure Android experience, fast updates, and a high-end smartphone with a low-end price tag, it's a keeper.

HTC One

I did not consider the HTC One because I was after as pure of an Android experience one could get on Verizon. Like the hardware (forward-facing speakers, which I'm surprised isn't featured on all tablets if not phones), but not crazy about Sense.

Moto X

It's as close to a Nexus phone you could possibly get without getting a Nexus phone. Updates are about on par with the Nexus phones, and is essentially a pure Android experience with added features. Battery life smokes anything out on the market; I got 40 hours off of one charge with my normal usage. Contributing to this number is Active Notifications, which allows you to see the time and most recent notification without lighting up all of the screen's pixels (black=off). Touchless Control is very helpful, but since it is basically a portal to Google Voice Search, it is a bit slow, and I wish it would make a sound when it activates. Sizewise, it is a small phone compared to the others out there, but it still feels "right."

Moto G

Similar to the Moto X, but without LTE.
I get paid to convert dead dino juice into noise.

CaliAtenza

Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:24 pm

The S5 is shaping up to be a beast, its more than likely going to be my next phone as my upgrade hits April 28th on Verizon.

Ken777

Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:41 pm

I upgraded to an 5S a few weeks ago and really like it. (So does my grandson who is currently playing his games on it while propped up on my bed watching his TV shows. )

Didn't feel any reason to move from the iPhone environment as it has served me well for a few years.

dtw2hyd

Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:38 pm

HTC One is the best. Only issue company may not survive for long. Safe bet Galaxy S4/S5.

Unless you are into Apple's ecosystem, avoid iPhone.
All posts are just opinions.

TLG

Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:54 am

Im looking to buy a new cell phone. I'm currently looking at the Nexus 5, HTC One, Moto X, and Moto G.

Which carrier are you with? Do you pay full price for your phones? All of these except the HTC One have very attractive prices.

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 6):

I upgraded to an 5S a few weeks ago and really like it. (So does my grandson who is currently playing his games on it while propped up on my bed watching his TV shows. )

Didn't feel any reason to move from the iPhone environment as it has served me well for a few years.

I had an iPhone 5 for awhile, and I thought it was almost as fast & reliable as my Nexus 4, except for one glaring issue. It's way too small! I hate that miniature 4" screen. Not only that, but the aspect ratio is weird. If the rumors are true that bigger iPhones are on the way, I could see myself using one. The only problem with that though is that I'm on prepaid so I pay full price. The iPhone is double the price of the Nexus devices.

Ken777

Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:56 am

Quoting TLG (Reply 8):
It's way too small! I hate that miniature 4" screen.

My wife took over my 4S - she had been fighting having an iPhone because it felt too large in her hand, especially when compared to her flip phone. I'm waiting for the next version before going for a new one for her because I believe that, in addition to a large display iPhone Apple will deliver a standard size iPhone Air. That will be a better fit for a woman's hand.

Display, IMO, is a personal preference. I'm happy with my 5S and really don't want anything larger for the shirt octet. When i first saw the original iPad, however, I immediately thought of one the same size as my 13" MacBook Pro. That and a 15" iPad would have some significant markets and will probable arrive when Apple is happy with the components available.

csturdiv

Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:54 pm

I have the HTC One Max, love the screen and sound on it. Super fast, and oh yeah, the call quality is good too, but that could be because I switched from AT&T to Verizon as well. It is a bit large, but it still fits in the pockets of my jeans.
An American expat from the ORD area living and working in SYD

Aeri28

Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:36 am

My contract is up in a week and I too am looking. I have used Motorola for the last four years and have had no issues. I've read great things about Moto X, and I too have looked longngly at the HTC One but it is getting older at this point (but a beauty), I've read about the new HTC M8 which ll be their flagship which is coming out, but I think Ive settled on the Samsung Note 3, really due to its performance, but mostly because I love the stylus part of it. I had an old Treo 630 back in the day and loved the stylus, Im a tall guy and my fingers are large and I am just about fed up with trying to type on any type of keyboard even using swype or the other one. I need a pointy stylus and also the ability for handwritinig recognition. Thats just me, but I would agree with others, wait a few months if you are looking for the newest and top most device. I may wait a few more weeks than normal to firm up my decision.