einsteinboricua
Topic Author

Coca Cola's Superbowl Commercial

Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:36 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrvcnbSoz-c

What did you guys think of it? I found it great, highlighting what the US represents to many: freedom, opportunity, and diversity.

Can someone please explain why people are outraged by this?
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

Jetsgo

RE: Coca Cola's Superbowl Commercial

Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:42 am

I'm not outraged by any means and quite frankly take pity on those who are. Having said that, the commercial loses me because a) it has nothing to do with Coke (not that many Super Bowl commercials have much to do with their product anyway) and b) it's an over the top in your face attempt at being overly politically correct when it's just not necessary. Coke knew what they were doing and the American people fell for it.
Marine Corps Aviation, The Last To Let You Down!

einsteinboricua
Topic Author

Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:56 am

Quoting Jetsgo (Reply 1):
a) it has nothing to do with Coke

Why not? I'm eager to hear why.

To me, it has a lot to do: a product (Coke) from the US (America the Beautiful) that caters and is enjoyed by people of all ages (kids, teens, adults, elders), nationalities (English/Spanish/French/Chinese/other languages), and lifestyles (Jews, Muslims, gays, families, singles).

KPDX

Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:57 am

I'm not outraged by any means and quite frankly take pity on those who are. Having said that, the commercial loses me because a) it has nothing to do with Coke (not that many Super Bowl commercials have much to do with their product anyway) and b) it's an over the top in your face attempt at being overly politically correct when it's just not necessary. Coke knew what they were doing and the American people fell for it.

I feel pretty much the same way. Although, I'm pretty much completely indifferent.

I just felt this ad was "trying too hard."

OA412

Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:03 am

Quoting einsteinboricua (Thread starter):

Because they're idiots. Some of them thought it was God Bless America, others thought America the Beautiful is our national anthem, others still thought we speak American in this county, but most butchered the language they supposedly cherish in their desperate attempt to prove how American they really are.
http://publicshaming.tumblr.com/post...sh-racist-revolt-as-coca-cola-airs
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

Cadet985

Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:07 am

I'm outraged because a patriotic song was twisted into a bunch of different languages. THIS IS AMERICA, and in AMERICA WE SPEAK ENGLISH.

Marc

ltbewr

Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:07 am

When I saw the ad, I knew it would rile up the radical right. They could have done it all in American English and with the presentation of a mix of persons other than white euro persons, the righties would have had a fit, perhaps a lesser one.

DeltaMD90

Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:19 am

Besides not liking the singing (sorry, I thought it didn't sound good) I just glossed over the commercial. When I heard of the controversy, I watched it again and barely picked up on it even though I was looking for it. Seriously, people need to get a life

Quoting Cadet985 (Reply 5):

I'm outraged because a patriotic song was twisted into a bunch of different languages.

Twisted? I see it as many cultures paying tribute to America. What bizarre anger you are experiencing  
THIS IS AMERICA, and in AMERICA WE SPEAK ENGLISH.

Yes we do... what is your point? If Coke going around forcing people to learn different languages? I'm really at a lost at why you are mad. I'm trying my best to walk in you and others' shoes but I literally cannot fathom why you are upset

--

I agree with some others that this doesn't really have much to do with Coke but then again, many commercials don't. They were just trying to make a nice commercial

Jetsgo

Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:31 am

Quoting einsteinboricua (Reply 2):

Because it doesn't tell me why I should drink Coke instead of Pepsi.
Marine Corps Aviation, The Last To Let You Down!

rfields5421

Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:50 am

a) it has nothing to do with Coke

Actually it does. See next comment

overly politically correct

BS

It was a long standing Coke tradition.

Remember a little song called 'I'd Like To Teach The World To Sing'

Coke has made diverse cultures working together one of their core advertising themes for several decades.

We speak Cherokee, we speak Spanish, we speak German, we speak Norwegian, we speak Italian, we speak Chinese, we speak Tagolog, we speak over a hundred different languages.

The United States has always been a nation based on immigrants seeking to join our great diversity and great nation.

To say those who speak other languages insults the people who founded this nation, and everyone who has served to defend this nation in the past 230+ years.

Read some history and learn about the nation which gives you the freedom to be so stupid.
Not all who wander are lost.

einsteinboricua
Topic Author

Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:51 am

Quoting Jetsgo (Reply 8):
Quoting einsteinboricua (Reply 2):

Because it doesn't tell me why I should drink Coke instead of Pepsi.

Fair enough. However, how many commercials these days manage to tell you why you should choose their product over the competition? Sometimes commercials are not to compare and convince, but simply to promote a brand.

flymia

Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:51 am

Boring. That's what I thought. Barely looked up. I like funny commercials, commercials that took some thought into it, or maybe a commercial showing people like U.S. Soilder coming home and that company doing something for that person. But kids singing a song in different languages. Oh how innovating. Haven't watched it since, barely watched it the first time.

As for those who are mad about. This is America they have all the right to say what they wish. Do I agree? No. But I'm not going to waste my time caring about it.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

Francoflier

Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:57 am

Let me correct that for you...

This is America and in America we speak the language of the Queen of England as we are all descendants of immigrants who came here and eradicated the former 'American' population. However we now refuse to acknowledge the irony of it and declare that the current language and system shall resist any form of exterior influence.

*Nomex firesuit donned 
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

DocLightning

Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:59 am

I don't understand. Two days ago, liberals and gays alike were all up in arms over Coke's sponsorship of the Olympics and the fact that on their "Share a Coke" web page you couldn't do "Gay," even though that word was probably blocked to prevent it being used as an insult.

As of yesterday, all was forgiven and the libs and gays love Coke and vice-versa.*

Srsly? Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person in the world with a memory longer than 48 hours.

Way to go Coke's marketing people, whoever you are. You all deserve a raise. You just completely erased Coke's bad image among gays in one single ad. Yes, right now the people with whom I align politically look like a bunch of right chumps.

*Lest anyone accuse me of name-calling, I'm a left-leaning gay man. I'm making a point that right now, I feel like an outsider.

Please cite the Constitutional or federal law that states that.

As for me, I speak English. And Spanish. Deal with it. And learn a foreign language.

Having said that, the commercial loses me because a) it has nothing to do with Coke (not that many Super Bowl commercials have much to do with their product anyway) and b) it's an over the top in your face attempt at being overly politically correct when it's just not necessary. Coke knew what they were doing and the American people fell for it.

They aren't selling Coke on that commercial. Coca-Cola has truly iconic status among brands. It is understood in every language. They are reinforcing the Coca-Cola brand.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

2707200X

Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:17 am

I'm outraged because a patriotic song was twisted into a bunch of different languages. THIS IS AMERICA, and in AMERICA WE SPEAK ENGLISH.

Amen!!! Only white, Christian, conservatives can understand the true meaning of America!!!

I was being facetious of-course but think about it, are foreign speaking people not proud of America when they earn citizenship, serve in the military and vote in America, have a voice in perhaps something they could not do in the previous country? I think America is much more more "Speak English Dammit" and "get out of my lawn"!

I think the same people who complained about this ad were also mad at Cheerios for the commercial featuring the interracial couple.

Had the Coke commercial from the '70s featuring "I'd Like to Teach the World to Sing" aired today it would have probably started a similar controversy by right-wingers as this one had yesterday for being too PC and devaluing American culture.
"And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by." John Masefield Sea-Fever

luckyone

Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:24 am

Please define English, if you can, without using the dialect used in your home as the standard. As for the song, perhaps you won't care so much about it being twisted when I inform you that it was written by a lesbian.

Quoting francoflier (Reply 12):
This is America and in America we speak the language of the Queen of England as we are all descendants of immigrants who came here and eradicated the former 'American' population. However we now refuse to acknowledge the irony of it and declare that the current language and system shall resist any form of exterior influence.

Brilliant.

hoons90

Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:30 am

Yes, people in America generally speak English, but who says they have to? I thought it was the land of the free.
Flown: 2L 7C 9E 9L AA AB AC AF AY AZ BA BR BX B6 CA CO CP CX DL EK EY JL KE KL LA LH LX MQ NW OZ PD RW SQ TG TP TR TS US WG WN WS XE XJ

bohica

Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:09 am

And the big winner is......................

Coca-Cola.

Everybody is talking about it. The publicity they are getting is worth many millions more than they paid for the commercial.

seb146

Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:42 am

Quoting einsteinboricua (Thread starter):

As one tweet said: This is America and we sing the national anthem in English!

*facepalm*
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

luckyone

Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:12 am

Quoting seb146 (Reply 18):

My personal favorite was "Your in America. We speak English here."

blueflyer

Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:46 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 13):
As of yesterday, all was forgiven and the libs and gays love Coke and vice-versa.

Well, come on Doc, Coke does know...

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person in the world with a memory longer than 48 hours.

This Superbowl ad was clearly an effort at deflecting criticism over their sponsorship of the Russian propaganda known as Sochi. It worked because, as you pointed out, people have a short attention span and are bad at memorizing more than one event per topic.

Quoting luckyone (Reply 15):
As for the song, perhaps you won't care so much about it being twisted when I inform you that it was written by a lesbian.

Seriously?

Quoting 2707200X (Reply 14):
I think the same people who complained about this ad were also mad at Cheerios for the commercial featuring the interracial couple.

Personally, I give a lot more credit to General Mills for their Cheerios ad than to Coke. Coke is trying hard to disassociate itself with the anti-gay sentiment in Russia without offending their Olympic host by calling them on it. Let me know when Coke plays that commercial, gay couple included, in Russia (or plays it again in the US for that matter).

General Mills, on the other hand, starred its critics in the face and told them, we hear you, and we don't care about your backward, racist ideas! Bravo!
Corona is God’s punishment for the amoral, principles-free, holier-than-thou Evangelicals. The rest of us are just collateral damage

PhilBy

Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:39 am

Debatable.

Quoting francoflier (Reply 12):
This is America and in America we speak the language of the Queen of England

Very debatable.

Quoting bohica (Reply 17):
Everybody is talking about it. The publicity they are getting is worth many millions more than they paid for the commercial.

To the point.

kiwiinoz

Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:41 am

I think it distracts nicely from the fact that the product ruins your teeth, stomach, intestines, and contributes to obesity. Nasty in any language

America is a big place with some extreme opinions. Dont let a few rednecks ruin your day. They are a small minority

einsteinboricua
Topic Author

Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:56 pm

As for me, I speak English. And Spanish. Deal with it. And learn a foreign language.

To add to this, I find it ironic that whenever Americans go abroad they expect others to learn English so they can get around, yet when others come here, THEY must learn English or get out. I'm not saying that Americans should learn the hundreds of languages to satisfy all the immigrants, but being bilingual or even trilingual helps you connect with more people.

This close-minded mentality of "I speak only English and everyone else must do so as well regardless of where I am" shows just how out of touch the regular Joe Average is from the world. What is so wrong from learning Spanish or Mandarin or Japanese or Korean or French or Arabic or Russian?

WestJet747

Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:29 pm

Quoting KPDX (Reply 3):
I just felt this ad was "trying too hard."

It was a game of "how many segments of the population can we cater to in 60 seconds".

I'm outraged because a patriotic song was twisted into a bunch of different languages.

Twisted how? It was the exact same lyrics, just in a different language.

I agree! All other languages, including Hebrew, should be strictly forbidden!

Chew on that for a bit  
Quoting rfields5421 (Reply 9):
It was a long standing Coke tradition.

Using CSR as a marketing tactic is a long-standing Coke tradition. It has little to do with being good corporate citizens.

Quoting flymia (Reply 11):
I like funny commercials

When I'm half in the bag with wing sauce on my face, I don't care about warm, fuzzy commercials - I want to laugh.

Quoting seb146 (Reply 18):

Oh, it was hardly one tweet unfortunately. It's truly amazing how many Americans don't know their own damn anthem...
Flying refined.

cptkrell

Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:34 pm

Quoting einsteinboricua (Reply 23):
To add to this, I find it ironic that whenever Americans go abroad they expect others to learn English so they can get around, yet when others come here, THEY must learn English or get out.

That's a pretty broad statement; I'm entirely sure that all Americans are not that way, but I certainly acknowledge the point that many are. When I was in high school, second language classes were a requirement (living in the Miami area, and planning college in Los Angeles I naturally chose Spanish), and am surprised second language classes aren't common in early age schooling in the U.S.. When the Army sent me to Germany, I immediately enrolled in German classes on my own. People everywhere respect another's attempt at communicating in their local language.

To the OP; I commented in a Super Bowl thread that I thought most of the ads were lame. IMHO, this Coke ad was NOT one of them. I thought it was quite nice and never dreamed of a controversy, and until this morning when the disagreements were mentioned on a morning news show (and this thread) it wouldn't have crossed my mind. Although I didn't hear the specific comments, it was mentioned on TV that Rush Limbaugh broadcast disagreements with the ad on his show; I'm surprised there are so many Rush "think-alikes" on this forum.
all best; jack

kiwiinoz

Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:50 pm

In reading this, I have come to the conclusion that its not the Americans that are the problem. It's the English. Darn them and their language. The only good thing about them is their tea, Aston Martin, and the fact that they hate the French.

Lets focus our hatred on them.

Osubuckeyes

Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:01 pm

Seems that everyone is talking about Coke now. Sounds like a great success, especially since it was lost among the sea of drivel that everyone else put out during the Super Bowl.

mt99

Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:26 pm

Are you outraged at Wal-MArt? they has Spanish signs all over!
Step into my office, baby

flymia

Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:49 pm

This close-minded mentality of "I speak only English and everyone else must do so as well regardless of where I am" shows just how out of touch the regular Joe Average is from the world. What is so wrong from learning Spanish or Mandarin or Japanese or Korean or French or Arabic or Russian?

No. But just like I would not move to Spain or Argentina and feel that others need to learn English because I live there is the same feeling many get with immigrants who move here (most Hispanics) who don't learn English. At least that is the issue in Florida. I can go into a non-heavy Hispanic neighborhood grocery store and have issues with employees speaking poor to no English. IMO that is not right. And I am not blaming the person, for that I blame the company. Want to hire them, maybe they should give them free English classes.

To add to this, I find it ironic that whenever Americans go abroad they expect others to learn English so they can get around, yet when others come here, THEY must learn English or get out. I'm not saying that Americans should learn the hundreds of languages to satisfy all the immigrants, but being bilingual or even trilingual helps you connect with more people.

Very very overgeneralized and broad statement. Certainly not the way I feel or just about anyone I know feels. You are from PR. I consider Puerto Ricans American, even though Spanish is the primary language there.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

luckyone

Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:06 pm

Quoting flymia (Reply 29):
No. But just like I would not move to Spain or Argentina and feel that others need to learn English because I live there is the same feeling many get with immigrants who move here (most Hispanics) who don't learn English. At least that is the issue in Florida. I can go into a non-heavy Hispanic neighborhood grocery store and have issues with employees speaking poor to no English. IMO that is not right. And I am not blaming the person, for that I blame the company. Want to hire them, maybe they should give them free English classes.

This is nothing new, and it weeds itself out over three generations. Generation one speaks mother tongue and lives in sheltered community. Generation two speaks both, can get out. Generation three understands both, doesn't speak mother tongue very well. By the fourth generation they've often intermarried and the language dies. This same drum has been beat since the early twentieth century, it's just new in parts of this country where Hispanics are moving. In the early 20th centuries many of those areas didn't have the economies to support the massive low wage jobs immigrants seek. If we could time machine back to Chicago's west side in the 1950's, there would be Polish signs everywhere--now hardly anybody under 40 speaks Polish. New York city and Philly in the early 20th century would have Italian written all over the place. Relax folks.

mt99

Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:20 pm

Quoting luckyone (Reply 30):
--now hardly anybody under 40 speaks Polish

Are you kidding me? Head over to the Harlem Irving Plaza mall and you will see plenty of under 40's speaking polish like it was Warsaw
Step into my office, baby

Tugger

Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:48 pm

Quoting kiwiinoz (Reply 26):
In reading this, I have come to the conclusion that its not the Americans that are the problem. It's the English. Darn them and their language. The only good thing about them is their tea, Aston Martin, and the fact that they hate the French.

I hear they make a decent jet engine too....  

People also need to remember that Coca-Cola is a GLOBAL brand and as a corporation very much wants and needs all corners of the globe to feel comfortable with their "American" product. The commercial was fine, excellent even as it is getting discussed and having an impact beyond the seconds it was shown on TV.

So my advice to everyone, regardless of your nationality or language, it to just relax and share a Coke and a smile with someone.... 

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

seb146

Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:51 pm

Quoting WestJet747 (Reply 24):
It's truly amazing how many Americans don't know their own damn anthem...

Or Constitution or history. No where in the Constitution does it say what our official language is and the first Europeans to settle in North America were Norwegians. Plus, Columbus was Italian exploring for the Spanish.

Quoting blueflyer (Reply 20):
Quoting luckyone (Reply 15):As for the song, perhaps you won't care so much about it being twisted when I inform you that it was written by a lesbian.
Seriously?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katharine_Lee_Bates

Moose135

Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:18 pm

Quoting flymia (Reply 29):
Want to hire them, maybe they should give them free English classes.

It's hard enough getting some of these places to pay minimum wage, you want them to spend money on English classes for their employees?
KC-135 - Passing gas and taking names!

cptkrell

Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:21 pm

Quoting tugger (Reply 32):
People also need to remember that Coca-Cola is a GLOBAL brand and as a corporation very much wants and needs all corners of the globe to feel comfortable with their "American" product.

Yes, quite.

I believe that Coca Cola (along with Ford) is (are) the most recognized brands internationally (if not so now, they were not long ago). Considering that for what it's worth, I agree that...

Quoting tugger (Reply 32):
The commercial was fine, excellent even as it is getting discussed and having an impact beyond the seconds it was shown on TV.

...and distractors would serve themselves better by not inventing something to be unhappy with. Of course there are some few that are not happy until everybody else is unhappy.
all best; jack

luckyone

Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:45 pm

Quoting mt99 (Reply 31):

--now hardly anybody under 40 speaks Polish

Are you kidding me? Head over to the Harlem Irving Plaza mall and you will see plenty of under 40's speaking polish like it was Warsaw"

Sorry. I should've been more clear. I meant exclusively as a first language.

wingman

Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:40 pm

Read some history and learn about the nation which gives you the freedom to be so stupid.

Every once in a while I read a post that almost makes me giggle uncontrollably and this was one of them. Bravo sir, bravo.

rwy04lga

Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:58 pm

The U.S. does not have an official language...feel free to speak Klingon if you wish.

I'm not saying that Americans should learn the hundreds of languages to satisfy all the immigrants, but being bilingual or even trilingual helps you connect with more people.

A person who speaks 3 languages is trilingual...A person who speaks 2 languages is bilingual...A person who speaks 1 language is American.  
What is so wrong from learning Spanish or Mandarin or Japanese or Korean or French or Arabic or Russian?

Because it's so much easier for them to learn English than for us to learn their language.   

Actually, learning English is the better option. A tourist from Norway (or any other country) visiting Japan (or any other country) will likely speak to a hotel clerk/shop owner/cab driver/airport worker/whatever...in English.

Like it or not, while it might not have the most speakers, English IS the most widely spoken.
Just accept that some days, you're the pigeon, and other days the statue

rfields5421

Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:14 pm

now hardly anybody under 40 speaks Polish

So I walk into a Dairy Queen today in a smallish Texas town - and the very pale Caucasian young lady (early 20s) behind the counter doesn't really understand my order.

She has to get a Hispanic lady to help with the special order.

I'm told - "She's new. Just arrived from Poland a couple weeks ago. Her uncle owns this franchise. She's learning English but speaks mostly Polish."

What are the odds I would find a native Polish speaker in rural Texas the very day the post was made on this thread.
Not all who wander are lost.

Cadet985

Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:25 pm

We speak Cherokee, we speak Spanish, we speak German, we speak Norwegian, we speak Italian, we speak Chinese, we speak Tagolog, we speak over a hundred different languages.

The United States has always been a nation based on immigrants seeking to join our great diversity and great nation.

To say those who speak other languages insults the people who founded this nation, and everyone who has served to defend this nation in the past 230 years.

I know MY history. I know how my ancestors came here and had to learn English to survive. It wasn't an option, there were no free government classes. They learned it by being exposed to it and sending their kids (my grandparents) to school. I also know that when I travel overseas, I teach myself at least some key phrases in whatever the language is where I am headed. Even in Israel where English is an official language, I will speak Hebrew as much as I can...and if I order something in a restaurant or ask a question, my accent usually gets me an answer in English, but at least I'm trying.

You may be much older than I, but you have no right whatsoever to call me stupid. That's the last I'll be saying about this particular thread, as anything else I might say could get me in trouble with the moderators.

¡Hablo español muy bien, gracias! Estudié cuatro años de español en la escuela secundaria y en la universidad.

.אני עובד גם על למידה עברית

Quoting luckyone (Reply 15):
As for the song, perhaps you won't care so much about it being twisted when I inform you that it was written by a lesbian.

How does the writer's sexual orientation impact the song (or the poem she also wrote from which the song was adapted)?

Quoting WestJet747 (Reply 24):
Twisted how? It was the exact same lyrics, just in a different language.

Very few languages translate exactly.

Quoting mt99 (Reply 28):
Are you outraged at Wal-MArt? they has Spanish signs all over!

Actually, I dislike Wal-Mart for other reasons that have no bearing in this thread.

DeltaMD90

Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:42 pm

Quoting Cadet985 (Reply 40):
I know MY history. I know how my ancestors came here and had to learn English to survive. It wasn't an option, there were no free government classes.

Um, maybe immigrants even back in the day knew very little English. I agree that immigrants should make a decent attempt to learn English in the US, but why does that make the Coke ad so bad?

. I also know that when I travel overseas, I teach myself at least some key phrases in whatever the language is where I am headed.

Who says these girls aren't fluent in English? I still don't get why them singing an American song in a different language is a slap in the face to America. I'm not jumping on the "oh it was such a great commercial" bandwagon but I'm still at a loss figuring out why so many people are bent out of shape.

---

Fortunately, it's not one side of the political spectrum blowing up, it's just people scattered across the one side. Most conservatives I've seen are baffled at the outrage

WestJet747

Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:05 am

Quoting kiwiinoz (Reply 26):

Lets focus our hatred on them.

Quoting rwy04lga (Reply 38):
Because it's so much easier for them to learn English than for us to learn their language.

Apparently so: http://www.chicksontheright.com/post...oke-commercial-controversy-discuss

"It occurs to me after thinking some more about it that Coke could have simply shown people of all walks of life, and of all nationalities and races singing in English - TOGETHER - and it would have sent a far more powerful message."

You may be much older than I, but you have no right whatsoever to call me stupid.

1) Doesn't he? I've seen you make more disparaging remarks about others in this very forum...but it's only wrong when it's directed towards you?
2) Are you new to the internet?

So you're mad that a few of the words may have had to been replaced with similar words because the exact word didn't exist in that language?

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 41):
Fortunately, it's not one side of the political spectrum blowing up, it's just people scattered across the one side. Most conservatives I've seen are baffled at the outrage

Racism is racism. It doesn't need a political party.
Flying refined.

lewis

Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:09 am

I know MY history. I know how my ancestors came here and had to learn English to survive. It wasn't an option, there were no free government classes. They learned it by being exposed to it and sending their kids (my grandparents) to school. I also know that when I travel overseas, I teach myself at least some key phrases in whatever the language is where I am headed. Even in Israel where English is an official language, I will speak Hebrew as much as I can...and if I order something in a restaurant or ask a question, my accent usually gets me an answer in English, but at least I'm trying.

You may be much older than I, but you have no right whatsoever to call me stupid. That's the last I'll be saying about this particular thread, as anything else I might say could get me in trouble with the moderators.

What does this have to do with anything? What did the Coca Cola ad that showed an American song being sung around the world in many languages (=American corporation with world-wide appeal) do to impose foreign speaking immigration? Just because it would be good for people to know how to speak English when moving to the US, it should not stop them from using their native languages among them or whenever they wish to do so. Your rant has nothing to do with the ad or what they were trying to promote.

I read the lyrics (or verses?) and I find very little that could be lost in translation and alter the nature and meaning of the song. It is a song after all, not a novel...

seb146

Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:26 am

How does the writer's sexual orientation impact the song (or the poem she also wrote from which the song was adapted)?

Historically, the right loses their minds when a gay person does something positive. A gay woman? That is just way too much. Femi-Nazis can't do anything. Just ask Rush and his followers.

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 41):
Most conservatives I've seen are baffled at the outrage

People have researched the people making the ignorant comments and they are generally the NRA supporting, Ted Nuget cheering, FOX watching ones.

I do agree that racism knows no bounds, but many people making the stupid comments are from the right.

flymia

Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:37 am

This is nothing new, and it weeds itself out over three generations. Generation one speaks mother tongue and lives in sheltered community. Generation two speaks both, can get out. Generation three understands both, doesn't speak mother tongue very well. By the fourth generation they've often intermarried and the language dies. This same drum has been beat since the early twentieth century, it's just new in parts of this country where Hispanics are moving. In the early 20th centuries many of those areas didn't have the economies to support the massive low wage jobs immigrants seek. If we could time machine back to Chicago's west side in the 1950's, there would be Polish signs everywhere--now hardly anybody under 40 speaks Polish. New York city and Philly in the early 20th century would have Italian written all over the place. Relax folks.

I agree. The difference is in places like LA and Miami first generations continue to come in and will do so for the foreseeable future.

BMI727

Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:45 am

What I want to know is where is the outrage over Chrysler's incredibly jingoistic advertisement that not only sounded like it was written by WarRI1, but is also awesomely hypocritical considering that Fiat just bought the rest of the company from the UAW just a couple weeks ago.

That's right: the UAW just sold Chrysler to the Italians but we all still have to buy American.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

WarRI1

Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:00 am

I thought this Coke commercial was very good, it showed the ideal America. Using a patriotic theme, showing a diverse nation, which is what we have. I liked it.

[Edited 2014-02-04 18:24:15]
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

iFlyLOTs

Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:09 am

Let me fix that for you.

Quote:
THIS IS AMERICA, and in AMERICA WE DON'T HAVE AN OFFICIAL LANGUAGE

I work in a part of the city where you would swear that if there was an official language it would be Spanish, and I've been to countless places where Chinese and Polish is the primary language over English. This is America, the country that has never had an official language because we accept people from all cultures. I thought this commercial was awesome, because it shows the diversity, through language and race, of our country, and its things like that that make America more beautiful.
"...stay hungry, stay foolish" -Steve Jobs

yowza

Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:26 am

The far right nutjobs already collectively sh*t their pants once when the Spanish version of the Star Spangled Banner made the rounds around 2006. The folks that came up with this ad obviously knew what the backlash would be. Calculated risk for wagging lips is a marketing win.

For what it's worth I think the Spanish version sounds AWFUL but I think its existence is legitimate...

YOWza