Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

WarRI1
Topic Author

Anti-abortion Groups Boycott GS Cookies.

Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:49 am

http://news.msn.com/us/anti-abortion-groups-boycott-girl-scout-cookies

How to win friends and influence enemies. What is next with these people? You are pro-life, that is your right. Do not children have a right to raise money for their fellow scouts without such interference? A long time tradition which I have always supported. My daughter was a GS. as was and are millions of children. We have already purchased cookies from multiple young girls we know. Mind boggling.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

mbmbos

RE: Anti-abortion Groups Boycott GS Cookies.

Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:24 am

The religious right has been after the Girl Scouts for quite some time now. I think it's pretty obvious they don't want girls to feel empowered in any way possible. This isn't an abortion issue, this is an issue of girls thinking independently.

More than any other reason, I despise the religious right because of their attitudes toward women. It's disgusting.
"If I don't manage to fly, someone else will. The spirit wants only for there to be flying. As for who happens to do it, in that he has only a passing interest."
- R.M. Rilke

WarRI1
Topic Author

Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:35 am

Quoting mbmbos (Reply 1):
More than any other reason, I despise the religious right because of their attitudes toward women. It's disgusting.

I cannot argue with that. In fact I am amazed how the women of the far right remind me of the Stepford Wives. They have a certain quality. You know robotic.

ArmitageShanks

Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:25 am

Quoting WarRI1 (Reply 2):
You know robotic.

Well at least they are union made.

seb146

Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:46 am

What people are pissed off about is giving girls ideas. The main thing that made people mad was GS posting links to different information organizations featuring women in leadership positions. Those links just happened to include Sibelius and Davis. Because linked articles just happen to mention those two women, every person affiliated with GS must be pro abortion. According to the right wing way of thinking.

I really wish they would get over their "all or nothing" train of thought. It really is getting old.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

elbandgeek

Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:03 am

Sounds like all the more reason to by more cookies than usual

DocLightning

Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:10 am

Quoting elbandgeek (Reply 5):
Sounds like all the more reason to by more cookies than usual

Yup! Their loss! And, honestly? Let's see how many of them, when push comes to shove, can say no to a box of Thin Mints (or Samoas, my personal kryptonite).
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

fr8mech

Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:46 pm

The religious right has been after the Girl Scouts for quite some time now. I think it's pretty obvious they don't want girls to feel empowered in any way possible. This isn't an abortion issue, this is an issue of girls thinking independently.

Really? Then why does just about every religious and private school in this area has its own Girl Scout Troop?

Please, elaborate. Which attitude exactly do you have a problem with?

My daughter is a Girl Scout. Her troop is chartered by a Catholic School. They sell cookies.

If some groups wish to launch a boycott, it's up to them. Or, do you feel that boycotts should only be used for left-leaning organizations?

Sorry, much ado about nothing.

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 6):
Yup! Their loss! And, honestly? Let's see how many of them, when push comes to shove, can say no to a box of Thin Mints (or Samoas, my personal kryptonite).

Last week I found a box of Samoas that was squirreled away in the beer fridge freezer behind some Pizza Bites. Needed a couple of extra miles the next morning.
When seconds count, the police are minutes away, or may not come at all.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

WestJet747

Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:31 pm

I actually feel bad for the people boycotting the Girl Scouts - robbing themselves of those sinfully delicious little cookies. Such a shame...

Quoting seb146 (Reply 4):
According to the right wing way of thinking.

It's probably yet another futile effort on my part to point this out to you, but "the right wing" doesn't own stupidity or rash decisions. The mere fact that it needs to be consistently pointed out to you is really indicative of that.

Again, I highly suggest reading up on the diverse groups of ideals that fall within the left and right sides of the very wide political spectrum. One group of crazy on the right is not representative of the entire right, just as one group of crazy on the left is not representative of the entire left.

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 7):
Please, elaborate. Which attitude exactly do you have a problem with?

It wasn't my comment, but if I had to weigh in I'd say the whole 'restricting women's freedom over their bodies' thing is probably a good place to start.
Flying refined.

ltbewr

Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:46 pm

The Girl Scouts have been far more reasonable vs. the Boy Scouts as to sexual and GLTB issues. They do not ban and indeed accept openly lesbian adult leaders. The Girl Scouts are not promoting abortion, indeed they support sexual responsibility education, dealing with sexual assault issues. They want to promote open minded women who fought through tough circumstances, having to face gender discrimination in employment, education and politics.
I am quite sure they salute women of more day to day conservative political beliefs but they just don't get the attention of those in positions of assuring access to safe and legal abortion.

Kiwirob

Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:12 pm

Quoting ltbewr (Reply 9):
The Girl Scouts have been far more reasonable vs. the Boy Scouts as to sexual and GLTB issues. They do not ban and indeed accept openly lesbian adult leaders.

What I don't understand is why boy scout groups have to accept females but it don't work the other way around?

fr8mech

Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:48 pm

Quoting WestJet747 (Reply 8):
'restricting women's freedom over their bodies'

You mean the freedom to kill a growing fetus without regard?
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray

WestJet747

Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:07 pm

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 11):

"Without regard", eh? Not surprisingly I read that in Todd Akin's voice.

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 10):
What I don't understand is why boy scout groups have to accept females but it don't work the other way around?

I haven't looked past their Wikipedia page, but it says that girls are not allowed in the Boy Scouts.

I was in Scouts Canada as a kid, which has apparently allowed girls since the 90s, but I never actually saw one who wasn't a leader/parent.
Flying refined.

fr8mech

Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:40 pm

Quoting WestJet747 (Reply 12):
"Without regard", eh? Not surprisingly I read that in Todd Akin's voice.

Read it in whatever voice you like. The crux of your argument is that it's the woman's body..the crux of mine is that abortion kills a living being.

End of story.

I will not enter that debate here, because it's a disgusting argument where one side argues that killing an innocent person is ok.

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 10):

As far as I know, girls are not allowed in the Boy Scouts, here in the US. We have women that are leaders and I assume in the national leadership. Just like I have helped out with my daughter's girl scout troop.

As for the cookies...my wife is the cookie mom this year...it will be rather difficult to have all those Somoas and Thin Mints in the house without dipping in. I believe that crack is an ingredient in both types.

WestJet747

Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:28 pm

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 13):
Read it in whatever voice you like. The crux of your argument is that it's the woman's body..the crux of mine is that abortion kills a living being.

I made no such argument. I was merely pointing out how detached from reality you are if you think women make that decision "without regard".
Flying refined.

SmithAir747

Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:48 pm

Are Girl Scout (or whatever the Canadian equivalent of Girl Scouts) cookies sold up here in Canada?

SmithAir747
I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made... (Psalm 139:14)

Kiwirob

Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:51 pm

Quoting WestJet747 (Reply 12):
I haven't looked past their Wikipedia page, but it says that girls are not allowed in the Boy Scouts.

They are in Norway and New Zealand, so much so that the girl guide movement is nearly dead.

Ken777

Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:10 pm

Quoting armitageshanks (Reply 3):
Well at least they are union made

That is bound to embarrass some Holy Rollers.

Quoting seb146 (Reply 4):
What people are pissed off about is giving girls ideas.

Kids these days are learning all sorts of ideas far younger than we did and the internet is obviously one reason. Sad to say, but those precious young kids are very tuned in.

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 7):
My daughter is a Girl Scout.

That means you are soon to enjoy the years of having a teenage daughter. I went through those years and now my grand daughter turns 13 9 days before I turn 70. All misery aside, I hope you get as much pleasure from your little girl as I have over the years.

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 11):

While I have no doubt that some women have used abortion as just another means of birth control I belie that mor the vast majority it is a very difficult decision.

And sometimes it is a necessary decision - like a young lady who was delighted to be having a baby to be told she had a blood cancer and had to go over to the hospital, terminate the pregnancy and start on months of that wonderful poison called chemo. Her option was going to the funeral home and picking out a coffin. My wife saw her a little while back - she is healthy and has 3 healthy kids. That, for me, has been a pretty clear example of just how difficult her decision was to make.

fr8mech

Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:23 pm

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 17):
And sometimes it is a necessary decision

Yes, it is. But, way to often, it is not.

That means you are soon to enjoy the years of having a teenage daughter.

Yeah, she's 11 going on 16 right now.

I hope you get as much pleasure from your little girl as I have over the years.

Thank you.

seb146

Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:45 pm

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 13):
where one side argues that killing an innocent person is ok.

And the other side argues that killing two innocent people is okay.

You do know the abortion rate has gone down dramatically in recent years, don't you?

Aesma

Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:51 pm

Those cookies haven't caught on here yet. When I was a scout we would sell our own (well, mostly our moms' own) cakes, and not door to door but rather at the open air market.

As for politics and sexuality, there wasn't a subject really, maybe there should have concerning politics directly impacting the movement because in later years it became difficult to organize camps as the rules concerning the diplomas of leaders became crazy.

Politics and the evolution of society also meant that we did camps side by side with our sister female troop, without sharing too many activities though (girls are pussies), except for the respective leaders sharing beds that is !
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

WestJet747

Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:24 pm

Quoting SmithAir747 (Reply 15):
Are Girl Scout (or whatever the Canadian equivalent of Girl Scouts) cookies sold up here in Canada?

They sure do:

http://www.girlguides.ca/GGC/Cookies...518de9-46e7-4627-97f2-6dfd6968ad4c

Not sure if they're exactly the same as in the US, but they must be close enough.

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 16):
They are in Norway and New Zealand, so much so that the girl guide movement is nearly dead.

Interesting. As I mentioned in an earlier post, girls are allowed to register in Scouts Canada, but you never really see it happen. The Girl Guides are still fairly strong here.

As an aside, I'd be curious to know what the relationship is between the BSA and the scouting organizations in Canada/Norway/New Zealand/etc., if one exists at all.
Flying refined.

fr8mech

Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:35 pm

Quoting WestJet747 (Reply 21):
As an aside, I'd be curious to know what the relationship is between the BSA and the scouting organizations in Canada/Norway/New Zealand/etc., if one exists at all.

Apparently, there are some ties.

http://www.scouting.org/worldjamboree.aspx

Ken777

Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:44 pm

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 18):
Yes, it is. But, way to often, it is not.

The issue for me is to ensure that those who face what is a very difficult decision for them do not have government (or religious fanatics) involvement making that decision. That basically means that we don't legislate for those who use the procedure casually, regards of how offensive we view it.

WarRI1
Topic Author

Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:30 am

Quoting armitageshanks (Reply 3):
Well at least they are union made.

Finally, we are in agreement. You cannot go wrong with union craftsmanship.  

WarRI1
Topic Author

Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:33 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 6):

Exactly, who can stand up to a Girl Scout Cookie. The (right) will be using brown plain bags to hide them, after buying.

seb146

Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:36 am

Quoting Aesma (Reply 20):
As for politics and sexuality

The "outrage" is that on the Girl Scout Twitter feed, they linked to articles about lists of powerful women. Wendy Davis happened to be on those lists. That is the outrage. You know: because Wendy Davis has had so many abortions and abandoned her children to go off and party and.... wait... she did what now?