Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Mike89406
Topic Author

Stolen IPhone

Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:49 am

My daughters iPhone came up missing at school yesterday. Luckily I had installed the Find my IPhine app on all our devices previously. Even though she deleted the app a while ago we have been able to track the phone.

She reported it missing to the school police and they filed a report. I have attempted to track it since yesterday and when it's online it shows location services turned off. At around 2:00 or 3:00 in the morning I checked it.

To preface all of this initially I pinged find my iphone with play sound once after the fact. then send a message under lost mode with our phone numbers to reach us. After no responses and I'm pretty sure they're using the internet not the phone. I called Sprint several times since yesterday to see if any calls were made and none so far so there's that.

Sprint or Apple really can't do anything about it other than list it stolen. I was asked if I wanted to shut service off and almost considered it. Problem is you can't track it after that. The peace officer recommended not shutting it off as well.

I gave the serial number and IMEI number to them.

I do have insurance but I'm waiting out to see if it will be recovered/located in the next day or two. At this point I've done everything possible except showing up at the residence. Now were playing the waiting game.

My questions are is there anything else I should be doing? The Officer said they will investigate today or tommorow, and mentioned going to the residence/next door neighbors. Do they use serial numbers to track it or is it just for ID purposes?

Ken777

RE: Stolen IPhone

Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:01 am

Your daughter's friend might keep an ear out at school in case someone starts talking about taking it - sometimes kids can't help but brag about what they have done.

You might also talk to your daughter about deleting the Find my iPhone app. A good lesson might be waiting until insurance has covered the phone before letting her have another. Or check out the $39 flip phones in the Bargain Corner of your carrier's showroom.

Mike89406
Topic Author

Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:20 am

Thanks.

If I didn't mention it she deleted the actual app from her phone a while ago to make space for her other things. It's still trackable though... whoever has turns the location services during the day. I keep on clicking lost mode periodically to turn on mic action services, but it's turned back off within a minute. I'm going to check it again later tonight though. I seen a dot in the same area once this afternoon, however I can't zoom in fast enough to snapshot it.

She did say that some lifted out of her backpack while it was zipped. I don't know though sometimes kids say one thing so you never know.

We have the address from last night I had to look at the app on my device, zoom and use google map to pinpoint it. My wife did give the address info to the school peace officer this morning, that's when she was waiting for the serial number which I called Apple for. I e-mailed the set number back to the officer this afternoon.

I want to find the person and hope they are expelled since it's a Magnet school and or prosecuted for larceny if the authorities recover it.

[Edited 2014-02-04 19:40:49]

iowaman

Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:49 am

Quoting Mike89406 (Thread starter):
My questions are is there anything else I should be doing?

I spent a couple years working for Verizon Wireless and I think you've done a great job. Working in wireless it was common for iPhones to get stolen because they are basically an iPad Touch and a master reset can be done.

Keep in mind if you file an insurance claim there is still a sizeable deductible. I believe it's $169 if you have the Asurion Insurance. Full retail is $500+ without a two year contract. Hopefully you will be able to recover the phone. If you end up having to pay an insurance deductible maybe you can assign some extra household work for a while.  
Quoting Mike89406 (Thread starter):
Do they use serial numbers to track it or is it just for ID purposes?

These are unique numbers that can be used to confirm any suspected phones whether it is the stolen one or not.

[Edited 2014-02-04 22:53:54]

Mike89406
Topic Author

Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:19 am

Quoting iowaman (Reply 3):

Sprint quoted me $100 for the deductible. Of course it's just a regular IPhone 4.

I changed all the settings and passwords, enabled restrictions. After that what do you know? The location came up crystal clear again. Same address and all. Called the San Diego PD they told me that if I was willing I could drive to the area and call them to meet me a block or two away. Only problem is its a borderline sketchy area and they can't get a search warrant tonight. The person would have to admit guilt and hand the phone over. There's always the possibility they could deny anything. I might have to wait anywhere from 20 mins to 2 hours.

I think I'll just let the School PD handle it in the morning as they have the report and the case.

Edited to add: I just found new pics on the photo stream of some Mexican Teenagers and maybe a family pic. This is getting better.

[Edited 2014-02-05 00:34:29]

dc9northwest

Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:58 am

Next time, buy a Nokia brick--no one will want to steal it!

AA7295

Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:36 pm

Quoting Mike89406 (Reply 4):

Quoting iowaman (Reply 3):

Sprint quoted me $100 for the deductible. Of course it's just a regular IPhone 4.

I changed all the settings and passwords, enabled restrictions. After that what do you know? The location came up crystal clear again. Same address and all. Called the San Diego PD they told me that if I was willing I could drive to the area and call them to meet me a block or two away. Only problem is its a borderline sketchy area and they can't get a search warrant tonight. The person would have to admit guilt and hand the phone over. There's always the possibility they could deny anything. I might have to wait anywhere from 20 mins to 2 hours.

I think I'll just let the School PD handle it in the morning as they have the report and the case.

Edited to add: I just found new pics on the photo stream of some Mexican Teenagers and maybe a family pic. This is getting better.

Funny. I was mugged in Las Vegas, once, drunk. Had my iPhone 5 stolen and we traced it to Mexico. There was nothing to do but file an insurance claim. No idea how it got from Vegas to Mexico in less than 12 hours. Would assume if such criminals could buy an airlines ticket, they could purchase an iPhone.

My 2 cents is get those police involved. Those crooks need to be punished for theft. If they get away with it, they will be encouraged to do it again. Also, call Child Services too, if there is a family involved. What the HELL are the parents doing not questioning where a child got an iPhone from?

dtw2hyd

Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:46 pm

Unfortunately there are so many loopholes to Find My iPhone feature.

1) If it has iOS6 pretty much you are out of luck. Find my iPhone/Location service can be easily disabled. There are countries with carriers don't block stolen IMEIs. Generally stolen phones end up there.

2) If it has iOS7 you have better luck because Apple won't activate with different iCloud ID.

One of the reason several city police departments ran a campaign asking iPhone users to upgrade iOS to 7.
All posts are just opinions.

Braniff747SP

Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:15 pm

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 1):
You might also talk to your daughter about deleting the Find my iPhone app.

You don't need the app on the device to track the phone. All the app does is see all your other devices on a map.

Find my iPhone is turned on/off in iCloud settings, and the phone can always be tracked from another iOS device with the Find my iPhone app or from iCloud.com.
The 747 will always be the TRUE queen of the skies!

Mike89406
Topic Author

Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:18 pm

Quoting DTW2HYD (Reply 7):

It's Ios 7.

Got a call from my wife that the kid surrendered the phone to the school police. Basically the kid claims the phone was handed off to him from another kid. He's going to be charged with possession of stolen property. He will probably go to Juvy. He won't be expelled though. He sits next to my daughter in one of her classes so she's kind of nervous. He was instructed not to bother her from the police.

dtw2hyd

Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:55 pm

Quoting Mike89406 (Reply 9):

Glad phone is recovered. Was it reset? You might want to enable restrictions and choose "Do not allow changes" for Location Services and Find My iPhone. Don't give the restrictions pin to your daughter.
All posts are just opinions.

Mike89406
Topic Author

Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:39 am

Quoting dc9northwest (Reply 5):

Lol, i remember those back in the day. I lived NY in the early 2000's and everyone had a Nokia or Nextel 2 way good times.

Quoting aa7295 (Reply 6):

He denied stealing it and said that some other kid gave it to him. Funny thing is he sits next to my daughter in one of her classes. He'll be charged with possession of a stolen item. I don't know about his patents but supposedly the house they live In was previously owned by a gang. The idiot took selfies with him and his friends. One of the pics he was standing near his friend smoking what looked like a joint. They don't live on the hood but it's a borderline sketchy area of San Diego.

Quoting DTW2HYD (Reply 7):

Thankfully It had iOS 7. I did have to enable restrictions on my account after it was stolen. After that location services stayed on.

Quoting DTW2HYD (Reply 10):

I don't think it was reset as some of her stuff was still on there. He changed the settings and enabled a passcode, deleted her pics, Instagram, contacts etc... She's pretty mad at the kid right now. I'll have to let her cool down since teenagers are hard to reason with.

Kiwirob

Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:26 am

Quoting Mike89406 (Reply 2):

If I didn't mention it she deleted the actual app from her phone a while ago to make space for her other things.

I'm sure that was the reason   maybe she just didn't want you to know where she was!