Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

randyh3253
Topic Author

Olympic Coverage In Your Country

Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:05 pm

Here in the U.S. NBC holds the rights to air our Olympic coverage. Last night we were forced to watch a 9 hour tape delayed open ceremony, which was filled with political statements and the "Today Show," host talking over the entire ceremony...well the parts of the ceremony that NBC actually decided to air here in the States. Not only was a lot of the opening ceremony edited/cut out, they even edited the IOC Presidents speech and decided to give us the "highlights," of what he said. Many of the parts that were in Russian, instead of having a 9 hour head start to provide subtitles or get a translator, NBC just decided to tell us bit and pieces of what was being said when they would decide to take a break from their political banter. Today hasn't been much better. This morning they aired some live and tape delayed events on NBCSN (NBC Sports Network), then this afternoon they are literally rearing many of the events on NBC that has already been seen on NBCSN. They are advertising that you can watch everything online, including the medal ceremonies. Team USA won a Gold in snowboarding, that is not available on nbcolympics.com like they claim. On the NBC Live Extra feature/app, all I get is a replay of USA vs. CAN in Hockey from 2010. Is the rest of the world subjected to such horrible coverage like us Americans, or is yours actually worth watching?
Here are a few articles of what NBC cut from their telecast thus far:
http://deadspin.com/nbc-edits-out-io...ation-statement-from-op-1518727938
http://deadspin.com/heres-everything...e-opening-ce-1518875818/@bubbaprog
http://www.thewrap.com/nbc-responds-...y-criticsm-edited-ioc-speech-time/

rutankrd

RE: Olympic Coverage In Your Country

Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:12 pm

So far so good in the UK.

Combination of Live BBC broadcast of opening ceremony, selected events and highlights and BBC iPlayer coverage via DTT/Cable/Satellite coded secondary channels and internet of all other events.

[Edited 2014-02-08 13:13:44]

dc9northwest

Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:16 pm

Romania has a great broadcast... Almost every event shown live on one of 3 state broadcast stations (TVR 1, 2, 3). That's in a country which has exactly zero chance for any medals. At least that's the way it was today.

OK, if there are multiple events at one time, there might be some lapses in broadcasting. I assume they're broadcasting over the internet as well, but not sure if also events they're not broadcasting on TV. Guess not.

Now, the commentary is mediocre, but you can't have it all.

But yeah, NBC has done a shit job for years. I'm not surprised.

Mortyman

Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:21 pm

TV2 Norway air from the Olympics on 3 channels for free ( you don't have to pay any extra to watch the Olympics ) from 07:00 in the morning to 21:00 in the evening Direct ( alot ) and recorded. The Tv channel says that they wont show more than Maximum 12 minutes of adds pr. hour. In adittion to the TV channels they Olympics will also be available on the web, mobile, tablet and Samsung Smart-TV

4 Medals for Norway so far in the first day:

2 Gold
1 Silver
1 Bronse

[Edited 2014-02-08 13:49:39]

CPH-R

Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:40 pm

We get a combination of live (lots of it), with reruns and offset (ie. events shown a short time after they happened) to fill time.

The rights are shared evenly between our two major public broadcasters (DR & TV2), with either of them showing a couple of events on their main channels (mainly during the day) and then broadcasting the rest on their smaller channels (DR3 and Tv2 Zulu), with Tv2 also airing a few events (usually some very niche events, such as women's ice hockey) through their online player.

Airontario

Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:14 pm

In Canada we have it pretty good.

CBC owns the rights, and they show a lot of the events where Canadians are expected to do well live in on their English and French networks. Other events are shown live on the sports networks like TSN and Sportsnet in English and RDS and TVA Sports in French.

Every single event can be seen live on the CBC website as well.

Because of the time difference, most events start at 01:00 in the Eastern time zone and go on until about 14:00, so CBC as well has a recap show in the evening prime time slot to catch up those who missed it in the morning.

No complaints from me on the coverage in our country.

L410Turbolet

Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:18 pm

Quoting randyh3253 (Thread starter):
Is the rest of the world subjected to such horrible coverage like us Americans

No, not really. Coverage of the Games by local stations is actually quite good. Two public television stations CT sport and CT 2 broadcast Olympics 24/7 both live and recorded. Most of the coverage is country-neutral so one gets to see also a lot of "minority" sports and sportsmen from other countries.

cjg225

Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:05 am

Horrific coverage by NBC, as per the norm.

Fortunately, we have DirecTV, which is one of NBC's partner organizations, so we can watch almost any event live online.

Quoting Mortyman (Reply 3):
4 Medals for Norway so far in the first day:

2 Gold
1 Silver
1 Bronse

Mixed-bag for the USA. 1 Gold, 1 Bronze. Very irked with the moguls result, but I kinda expected it. The Canadian sisters seemed destined. Just HAD to be Canadians though... ugh... I guess that's the price the USA has to pay for taking the Gold in men's slopstyle. Just as long as we win more golds and medals than the Canadians, I will consider this successful for Team USA. Got a feeling that may not happen... The Canadians seem very much buoyed from the success of Vancouver, much like the USA was following the success of Salt Lake City.

Huge congrats to the Norwegians, though. I love biathlon. Great to see Bjoerndalen own guys much younger than him. I look forward to more Nordic and biathlon events.
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...

randyh3253
Topic Author

Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:10 am

Quoting cjg225 (Reply 7):
Fortunately, we have DirecTV, which is one of NBC's partner organizations, so we can watch almost any event live online.

My cable company (Charter), is a partner as well. However every time I've went on to see event live, all it shows is the replay of the hockey match from 2010 between USA and CAN.
Wonder when NBC's contract with the IOC ends? Hopefully CBS, FOX, or ABC can pick it up then.

cjg225

Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:14 am

Quoting randyh3253 (Reply 8):
My cable company (Charter), is a partner as well. However every time I've went on to see event live, all it shows is the replay of the hockey match from 2010 between USA and CAN.
Wonder when NBC's contract with the IOC ends? Hopefully CBS, FOX, or ABC can pick it up then.

Hmm. I watched some events live earlier today without any problems. How are you trying to watch it? I actually linked to the events via Yahoo! originally. It took me to the NBC Olympics page and started that 30-minute clock, but I immediately went to log in with our DTV password.

No idea how much longer NBC has the contract.

randyh3253
Topic Author

Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:44 am

Quoting cjg225 (Reply 9):

Yeah I went to NBCOlympics.com and clicked on the Live Extra link. The clock started for me too, and I clicked verify and then it popped up the Charter Communications logo and started airing the hockey gold medal match from 2010. Its been that way every time I've tried to view something online on there website.
I actually just looked up the NBC/IOC contract, and sadly us Americans are stuck with them through 2020.

randyh3253
Topic Author

Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:28 am

So NBC is literally currently rearing figure skating that they showed live this afternoon on NBCSN. Only difference is they switched the announcers, thinking we wouldn't notice. For you non Americans who would like a better idea of what were dealing with just search #NBCFail on Twitter.

cjg225

Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:56 am

Quoting randyh3253 (Reply 11):
So NBC is literally currently rearing figure skating that they showed live this afternoon on NBCSN. Only difference is they switched the announcers, thinking we wouldn't notice. For you non Americans who would like a better idea of what were dealing with just search #NBCFail on Twitter.

Yeah, I noticed that, too. Ridiculous.

But, I didn't see Ashley Wagner's program earlier today, so I am glad I got to see that now.... which is counter to my above comment of "ridiculous." lol

I like her; I know there's controversy around her and people say she's whiny, but I like her.

L410Turbolet

Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:10 am

For you non Americans who would like a better idea of what were dealing with

As a high school student I happened to be in the US during the 1994 Winter Olympics. The family I stayed with didn't have cable so it must have been NBC and I still remember how frustrating it was trying to watch a live hockey game... it seemed like a never-ending stream of commercials, occasionally interrupted by short periods of actual hockey. The whole coverage of the Games sucked badly and I am sorry to hear nothing have changed for the better even 20 years later.

randyh3253
Topic Author

Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:40 am

Yes, on the Womens Mogul event that NBC aired a few min ago, they showed 2 runs, which average about 33 seconds apiece and then it was time for a commercial. They just aired the medal ceremony for Kostenburg, the American who won Gold on the Slope style today...we didn't see him receive his medal. All we got was him already wearing his medal and the National Anthem. Bob Costas almost didn't even stop yapping in time for us to hear the anthem. Every Olympics, I think NBC can't do any worse, and yet they do...I shouldn't be so surprised.
Edited, as I forgot to mention this is how NBC airs the olympics. The will show part of one event, midway through switch to another event, midway through that one, they switch to another event, and then finally midway through the 3rd event will show the conclusion of the first event.

[Edited 2014-02-08 20:42:58]

Bongodog1964

Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:28 pm

I was in the US for the 1st week of the 2012 summer Olympics, having seen NBC's coverage then, its no surprise that its awful in 2014.

cjg225

Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:50 pm

Holy crap. NBC's online coverage is even bad.

I was watching Women's 7.5km Biathlon Sprint just now. Russia just grabbed their first medal of the games with Silver in the competition. I wanted to see the flower ceremony specifically to hear how loud of a cheer the Russian girl got. AND NBC CUTS TO COMMERCIAL RIGHT BEFORE SHE GETS INTRODUCED. Are you KIDDING ME? Wow...

And they come back after they're already onto the Gold medal winner.   

randyh3253
Topic Author

Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:44 am

Quoting cjg225 (Reply 16):

Yes, it is. I stayed up to watch the Alpine Skiing event to see if Bode Miller would bring home the Gold. Obviously, he didn't, but I missed the beginning of his run as NBC Live Extra was showing me a Carnival Cruise commercial.

cjg225

Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:50 am

Quoting randyh3253 (Reply 17):
Yes, it is. I stayed up to watch the Alpine Skiing event to see if Bode Miller would bring home the Gold. Obviously, he didn't, but I missed the beginning of his run as NBC Live Extra was showing me a Carnival Cruise commercial.

Huge disappointment in that event. Huge. Miller is such an enigma... He's come up small in the finals of a lot of Olympic events after being expected to or shown that he can perform huge.

A friend of mine who covered the Olympics as part of Team USA in London told me earlier that the commercial stuff online actually isn't NBC's fault. He said that the feed online is the same for everyone and that the cuts from action are the decision of the Olympic Broadcasting System, which provides feeds to everyone for them to do commentary on in their language.

randyh3253
Topic Author

Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:52 am

Quoting cjg225 (Reply 18):

Interesting...I just assumed it was NBC as it was a Carnival Commercial. Guess I can't blame them for that. What does frustrate me with their online video, is on the replay of events, there is no pause, rewind, or fast forward feature so your forced to watch the entire event.

pacificjourney

Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:32 am

Look on the bright side, it's the Winter Olympics so virtually no one cares.

The sooner they call time on this travesty the better.

I can see cross country skiing and speed skating as actual sports requiring strength and technique BUT Luge, bob sleigh, skeleton, figure skating, curling, etc .... complete bullshit.
" Help, help ... I'm being oppressed ... "

Airontario

Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:39 am

Quoting pacificjourney (Reply 20):

The sooner they call time on this travesty the better.

I can see cross country skiing and speed skating as actual sports requiring strength and technique BUT Luge, bob sleigh, skeleton, figure skating, curling, etc .... complete bullshit.

Hey nobody's forcing you to care about it. Fact is there are many out there who do care.

pacificjourney

Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:49 am

Quoting Airontario (Reply 21):
Hey nobody's forcing you to care about it. Fact is there are many out there who do care.

Of course you care because Canada can't win in the actual Olympics, Synchronised Swimming anyone ?

The vast majority of the planet who doesn't have ice and snow just can't take it seriously. What next, desert Olympics, how about a tropical Olympics, an Olympics for disabled people ... oh wait ...

Everyone feel free to suggest sports other 'Olympics' we could laugh at - Camel racing, water divining, out-rigger canoe racing, coconut throwing ....

Mir

Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:41 am

I can see cross country skiing and speed skating as actual sports requiring strength and technique BUT Luge, bob sleigh, skeleton, figure skating, curling, etc .... complete bullshit

So you don't think luge, bobsled, skeleton, or figure skating require strength and technique? Shows how little you know about those sports.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

randyh3253
Topic Author

Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:57 am

So I downloaded a thing called TunnelBear. I gladly paid the $4.99 a month price tag in order to access the Canadian CBC Olympic coverage via their website. I can't believe the awesome, professional, and knowledgeable coverage our neighbors to the north are getting compared to what we have to suffer through with NBC. It really is a shame and an embarrassment that a country like the US, has an olympic tv partner who wants to block, cut, edit, and restrict an event that is supposed to bring the world together.

Silver1SWA

Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:02 am

Quoting randyh3253 (Thread starter):
Last night we were forced to watch a 9 hour tape delayed open ceremony, which was filled with political statements and the "Today Show," host talking over the entire ceremony...

I was really getting annoyed with the Opening Ceremony commentary. First of all, they spoke to us like we are idiots. They must have been targeting the lowest common denominator in this country, like people who don't know that Russia is not in the US. Heck, they might have actually said that at one point.  

And then there was being force-fed the political crap. I was enjoying a beautiful ceremony, politics being the last thing on my mind when BAM! They'd hit me with it. "Here's country A, and of course you're aware of the controversy...blah blah"...yes, thanks to you bringing it up I am now thinking about something I wasn't trying to think about a second ago.

Yeah and I wish the commentators during primetime would at least pretend they were commenting live. I swear sometimes they comment on an element or mistake before the skater has completed the element.

I will say this, though. I'm impressed so far with the 3 calling the primetime figure skating. Their commentary on non-US athletes is much more positive and unbiased this time around. I remember four years ago they were terribly biased, praising every US performance and finding a way to put down any non-US performer. It was awful. So far, much better this year IMO.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

Mortyman

Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:51 am

A friend of mine who covered the Olympics as part of Team USA in London told me earlier that the commercial stuff online actually isn't NBC's fault. He said that the feed online is the same for everyone and that the cuts from action are the decision of the Olympic Broadcasting System, which provides feeds to everyone for them to do commentary on in their language.

Accordng to TV2 in Norway, they can themselves choose when to show the Commercials ...

http://www.vg.no/sport/artikkel.php?artid=10142268

They say that they can promise that commercials wont be shown during sprint for instance. The TV channel has had a few hickups in this regard though ...

[Edited 2014-02-10 01:10:44]

cjg225

Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:16 pm

Except people from countries with traditional prowess in cold-weather activities... which happens to be a huge amount of people from many countries....

CPH-R

Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:35 pm

Quoting Mortyman (Reply 27):
Accordng to TV2 in Norway, they can themselves choose when to show the Commercials ...

That sounds more like they haven't been dictated anything specific by the Norwegian Ministry of Culture?

We get ads on Danish Tv2 as well, but only between the events (ie. during the speed skating events, they use the brief break during resurfacing to show a round of ads). No ads at all during the competitions themselves. And of course, DR1 & DR3 are both ad-free.

mham001

Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:54 pm

Yes, the coverage is awful, I don't bother. I dislike large parts of the Winter Olympics because too much is subjective. Figure skating is a farce with corrupt judging and how the hell snowboarding became an Olympic sport, I'll never understand. More trickery than athleticism.

[Edited 2014-02-10 08:56:20]

Thunderboltdrgn

Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:38 pm

In Sweden Viasat unfortunately acquired the rights. Some people can see some of their channels
without extra cost while others need to buy online streaming package to see anything at all.

The majority of the events though are only available in the online streaming package
which means an additional cost of 279kr (€35/$43) for one month.

So far their far from the standard of SVT (Swedish equivalent of BBC) and many of the
commentators are either decent at the best or pretty rubbish. Their studio anchor is an
ex heptathlete with almost zero TV-experience. She's not bad but far from good but
I guess that they couldn't find anyone else.

I also agree with mham001 regarding the subjective sports such as figure skating,
slope style (snowboarding), Freestyle, ski jumping are too subjective to be in the Olympics.

However you shouldn't generalize all snowboard sports because their are other
snowboarding sports such as snowboard cross and parallel slalom which are perfectly
fine as Olympic events since these are about finishing faster then the other competitors
just like ski cross or regular alpine skiing slalom.
Like a thunderbolt of lightning the Dragon roars across the sky. Il Drago Ruggente

Bongodog1964

Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:28 pm

As the 2012 Olympics were shown in the UK totally advert and break free in the UK as were previous ones and the Winter Olympics I would suggest that your friend is incorrect. I saw week one in the US and week 2 back home in the UK, the difference was huge.

BUT Luge, bob sleigh, skeleton, figure skating, curling, etc .... complete bullshit.

Sports such as luge and skeleton bob require huge fitness levels, are highly technical and require courage almost to the point of foolhardiness, the "complete bullshit" is at your end.

CPH-R

Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:49 pm

Quoting thunderboltdrgn (Reply 30):
The majority of the events though are only available in the online streaming package
which means an additional cost of 279kr (€35/$43) for one month.

Yeah, the same great deal we get over here. Thankfully, the only thing I ever watch on their channels is football, so I find a pirate stream instead.

Quote:
So far their far from the standard of SVT (Swedish equivalent of BBC) and many of the
commentators are either decent at the best or pretty rubbish. Their studio anchor is an
ex heptathlete with almost zero TV-experience. She's not bad but far from good but
I guess that they couldn't find anyone else.

Classic Viasat. We got a former radio-host (who had never covered sport, let alone football) and a former badminton player as hosts for our football coverage. It's gotten so bad now, that few people in the fan groups I know bother watching it, preferring to wait the next day when the highlights of the matches are uploaded to the Viasat website.

Aesma

Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:27 am

Coverage is alright in France but I can't stand some of the commentators (that have been commenting for decades) and there is too much focus on the French athletes and their medal chances, it's nauseous.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

pacificjourney

Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:58 am

Quoting Bongodog1964 (Reply 31):
Sports such as luge and skeleton bob require huge fitness levels,

Which part, the lying down part or the lying down part ?

are highly technical

No, what they ride on are highly technical.

Too bad there isn't a track within 5000 kms or I could demonstrate how easy it is to do.

Bongodog1964

Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:34 am

Quoting pacificjourney (Reply 34):
No, what they ride on are highly technical.Too bad there isn't a track within 5000 kms or I could demonstrate how easy it is to do.

Who'll visit you in hospital or failng that the mortuary ?

You only need to spend a few minutes looking at at youtube to see the dangers of luge and bob.

dc9northwest

Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:56 am

I could demonstrate how easy it is to do.

LOL.

Yeah, go luging. But first, you gotta learn the track in memory. Otherwise, you'll be an ex-pacificjourney.

cjg225

Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:10 pm

Can someone PLEASE stop Canada? My God. Now I KNOW the Olympic gods are screwing with me.

Quoting Aesma (Reply 33):
Coverage is alright in France but I can't stand some of the commentators (that have been commenting for decades) and there is too much focus on the French athletes and their medal chances, it's nauseous.

Okay, see, this I just don't understand.

People make the same criticism of NBC. The Olympics are certainly an International event, which makes them so great, but... it's also an event about representing one's country and rooting for one's country. Why shouldn't a national media outlet focus on its nation's athletes...?

If there is any outlet that gives everyone equal coverage and is totally neutral about anyone's particular chances, good for them.

us330

Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:25 pm

Quoting cjg225 (Reply 7):
Horrific coverage by NBC, as per the norm

NBC's problem is that they don't treat it as a sporting event--they treat it as a cultural moment or something akin to reality tv with manufactured storylines. If they aren't going to show the full event on primetime, then create an "Olympic Sportscenter" with a hour full of the highlights of the day's events.

So NBC is literally currently rearing figure skating that they showed live this afternoon on NBCSN. Only difference is they switched the announcers, thinking we wouldn't notic
Quoting Silver1SWA (Reply 25):
I will say this, though. I'm impressed so far with the 3 calling the primetime figure skating

It was a godsend last night that figure skating wasn't on--at one point during the weekend, NBC showed the same figure skating event three different times. Once live on NBCSN in the morning, once during the NBC afternoon program, and again in NBC primetime.

The problem is that figure skating apparently generates great ratings for NBC--which is why they spent extra money to send two broadcasting teams to cover figure skating. I think the NBCSN figure skating crew (Terry Gannon, Johnny Weir, and Tara Lipinski) is better than their primetime crew of Tom Hammond and Scott Hamilton and Sandra Bezic.

First of all, they spoke to us like we are idiots.

That's pretty normal with NBC at the Olympics. Costas' commentary and narration is melodramatic to the point of cliche.

Yeah and I wish the commentators during primetime would at least pretend they were commenting live. I swear sometimes they comment on an element or mistake before the skater has completed the elemen

All their crews are actually on site for Sochi. The underrated star of NBC's broadcasts so far is the color analyst for XC skiing and biathlon--Chad Salmela. Those sports will be the nichiest of niche sports in the US, but the guy really gets excited and into it regardless of who is racing, and actually adds to the broadcast, rather than detracting from it. Somebody needs to do a youtube compilation of his calls--Gus Johnson-esque.

Aesma

Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:58 pm

Quoting cjg225 (Reply 37):
People make the same criticism of NBC. The Olympics are certainly an International event, which makes them so great, but... it's also an event about representing one's country and rooting for one's country. Why shouldn't a national media outlet focus on its nation's athletes...?

If there is any outlet that gives everyone equal coverage and is totally neutral about anyone's particular chances, good for them.

I'm not asking for neutrality, but less fanaticism. And I'm French, we don't do "patriotism" and flag waving, we usually like to bash ourselves (too much in my opinion), so the contrast is striking.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

cjg225

Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:49 pm

Quoting Aesma (Reply 39):
I'm not asking for neutrality, but less fanaticism. And I'm French, we don't do "patriotism" and flag waving, we usually like to bash ourselves (too much in my opinion), so the contrast is striking.

Fanaticism is rooting for athletes, in my opinion, and that is not appropriate for media commentators. However, I don't think it's fanatical to focus on the athletes on that media outlet's country. They're catering to their audience, which, I suspect, is mostly French.

Quoting us330 (Reply 38):
All their crews are actually on site for Sochi. The underrated star of NBC's broadcasts so far is the color analyst for XC skiing and biathlon--Chad Salmela. Those sports will be the nichiest of niche sports in the US, but the guy really gets excited and into it regardless of who is racing, and actually adds to the broadcast, rather than detracting from it. Somebody needs to do a youtube compilation of his calls--Gus Johnson-esque.

LOVED his call for the end of the Men's Skiathlon. I was watching it live and it really got my blood flowing.

And, you're right. He does a great job. I love those events as it is, but he has been really good at making them even better for me.

CPH-R

Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:38 pm

Quoting Aesma (Reply 39):

To be fair, even the Danish commentators were heaping praise on Martin Fourcade during yesterday's biathlon pursuit  

Aesma

Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:24 am

The problem is when they prop the athletes up before the event (even weeks before), during the event as they're struggling, and after the event when they lost by a wide margin ! Being excited when one is winning is alright.

BTW Fourcade is totally unknown here despite his impressive past results, how ironic.

JRadier

Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:08 pm

Quoting CPH-R (Reply 28):

We get ads on Danish Tv2 as well, but only between the events (ie. during the speed skating events, they use the brief break during resurfacing to show a round of ads). No ads at all during the competitions themselves. And of course, DR1 & DR3 are both ad-free.

It is exactly the same in the Netherlands. There is a big focus on speed skating though, as that seems to be the only thing we have a shot at and it is really popular.

Let's face it, for speed skating you need cold and flat land, of which we have plenty. Most of the other sports require things like snow and hills, which are in very short supply...

cjg225

Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:43 pm

I've just been not watching TV coverage at all, lately. I'm sticking with online stream.

I worked from home on Thursday and Friday, so I setup my personal laptop next to me and streamed coverage all morning. No need to watch TV coverage, then, except maybe to see a replay of an event I missed while asleep, which I could just do online, too.

Much better experience, though not perfect.

Mir

Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:07 pm

Quoting pacificjourney (Reply 25):
All these are also dependant on the quality of their equipment rather then the driver

Which you could say about any sport that involves equipment. In other words, any sport at all. Swimming, for instance, is all about the suit.

Sports such as luge and skeleton bob require huge fitness levels,

Which part, the lying down part or the lying down part ?

Actually, the "maintaining precise control of the sled through minute, very controlled, and perfectly timed movements while being subjected to several times the force of gravity" part. You're not along for the ride - if you are, you won't be for long.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

Kiwirob

Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:31 pm

Quoting Mortyman (Reply 3):
TV2 Norway air from the Olympics on 3 channels for free

What crack are you smoking, only 1 of TV2's channels are free to air, Zebra, Bliss, HD you haver to pay a subscription for.

That said Norway's coverage of the Olympics is fantastic, we see almost everything, even stuff Norway doesn't compete in.

CPH-R

Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:37 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 45):
Which you could say about any sport that involves equipment. In other words, any sport at all.

Methinks Norway can agree on that. They've disappointed badly in the cross-country (and to a lesser extent biathlon) events, and general consensus seems to be that it's down to poor choice of wax.

dc9northwest

Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:46 pm

Quoting CPH-R (Reply 47):
Methinks Norway can agree on that. They've disappointed badly in the cross-country (and to a lesser extent biathlon) events, and general consensus seems to be that it's down to poor choice of wax.

Or the unusually high temperatures, or that they've competed in too many races before the Olympics.

Those are the hypotheses I've heard.

Kiwirob

Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:33 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 45):
In other words, any sport at all. Swimming, for instance, is all about the suit.

Not so much today, the suits have been scaled back considerably, men now only wear longish shorts, not the full body suits of a couple of years ago.

Quoting dc9northwest (Reply 48):
Or the unusually high temperatures, or that they've competed in too many races before the Olympics.

The way the Norwegian press are treating this is like it's a national disaster, it's a repeat of the same problem from the Turin Olympics, Norway's cross country and biathalon teams were expected to dominate, they performed badly, they same excuses used today were used back then.