Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jetmech

RE: Self Gloss: We Got Married

Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:50 am

Quoting DocLightning (Thread starter):
So last night, psal1011 and I tied the knot at our home with 40 good friends around.

Congrats Doc. All the best to you two!

Now, please show me some empty cargo bays.

Cargo bays are so last millenium, how about an empty dumpster instead?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Qa_exV3XUEg/TchIcGa6YjI/AAAAAAAAALo/hC8VLgD1kG0/s1600/Empty+dumpster.jpg

Regards, JetMech
JetMech split the back of his pants. He can feel the wind in his hair :shock: .

romeobravo

Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:17 am

Congrats to you and your husband.

Is this psal1011 chap also a forumer, or have you married an actual plane?

BestWestern

Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:07 am

Congrats. Best of luck to you both.

Marriage takes a lot of work and compromise.
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

DocLightning
Topic Author

Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:34 am

Quoting RomeoBravo (Reply 51):

If I was going to marry an L-1011, it would be the Orbital Systems one.  

That's a forumer.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

PHX787

Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:30 pm

I didn't know your hubs had an A.net account, on the fact that I've never seen any posts from him lol

it was good to hang with you guys in Japan, and I know you two will live long and prosper...in more ways than 1  
Quoting rwy04lga (Reply 6):
I don't get the cargo bays reference....please enlighten me.

YOU HAVE BEEN ON AIRLINERS FOR NEARLY 9 YEARS AND YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT THIS IS?!?!?!?!?!?

I've been here for almost 3 and I got the joke as soon as I read it the day after I joined   
Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/phx787

MadameConcorde

Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:31 pm

So last night, psal1011 and I tied the knot at our home with 40 good friends around. It was the fifth anniversary of our first date.

Wishing you both much good health and happiness for many years to come.

There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

N1120A

Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:19 pm

Many congrats Doc! Was there grain consumed?  
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

AirCanada787

Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:46 am

Congratulations from Canada!!

My partner and I are planning on doing the same thing next summer, so great the changes in society in the past decade and how far we have come. I hope you enjoy your cruise this summer as well.  
The mind, like a parachute, functions only when open.

mirrodie

Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:50 am

Congrats and good blessings and health to ya!
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

vikkyvik

Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:10 am

Quoting RomeoBravo (Reply 51):

I'm pretty sure Kansas will soon pass a law allowing discrimination against male-airplane couples....

Quoting PHX787 (Reply 54):
I've been here for almost 3 and I got the joke as soon as I read it the day after I joined

Dude, that's cause you had like 223452354 posts the day after you joined.

Quoting jetmech (Reply 50):
Cargo bays are so last millenium, how about an empty dumpster instead?

Somehow, I am reminded of TheCoz.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

BHMNONREV

Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:22 am

Belated congrats Doc, wishing you and your significant other a lifetime of happiness from the cargo bay....  

DocLightning
Topic Author

Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:23 am

On the phone with my mom today:

Mom: "So...what do I call him, your husband?"

Me: "Yeah, Mom. That's what he is!"

Mom: "OK. He's your husband."

First time she's ever called him that. It was always "friend" and I just didn't want to get into it with her. To be fair, she used that term on my (female) cousin's boyfriends, too.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

flyingturtle

Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:19 am

Best wishes to you both!   

Quoting sccutler (Reply 33):

Thank you for sharing this. Although it is a no-brainer, we need to be constantly remembered. Given arguments good enough, you can win almost every dispute. It's really tempting to do. But you'll often lose the benevolence of your adversary.

David
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

Braybuddy

Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:43 pm

I have absolutely nothing against two a.netters getting married, if that is what they want. This IS the 21st century after all, and they should be completely free to do so. Some of them seem really nice people, even if I don't actually know any myself.

Congrats and best wishes to both of you!
Braybuddy

Ken777

Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:29 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 61):
Mom: "So...what do I call him, your husband?"

Me: "Yeah, Mom. That's what he is!"

Mom: "OK. He's your husband."

That's a nice response from your Mom - especially if she is a "Traditional Mom" who grew up not understanding these things.

DocLightning
Topic Author

Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:07 pm

Quoting Braybuddy (Reply 63):
I have absolutely nothing against two a.netters getting married, if that is what they want. This IS the 21st century after all, and they should be completely free to do so. Some of them seem really nice people, even if I don't actually know any myself.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

vikkyvik

Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:34 pm

I have absolutely nothing against two a.netters getting married, if that is what they want. This IS the 21st century after all, and they should be completely free to do so.

On the contrary, I find it blasphemous and morally appalling (not to mention repugnant). As if the continued proliferation of "airplane nuts" (which is a lifestyle choice, by the way) wasn't bad enough, now we have to be exposed to them marrying each other???

If you choose to be a so-called "airplane nut", I completely support your right to do so. But don't shove it in my face and demean the institution of marriage in the process.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

DocLightning
Topic Author

Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:37 pm

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 66):
On the contrary, I find it blasphemous and morally appalling (not to mention repugnant). As if the continued proliferation of "airplane nuts" (which is a lifestyle choice, by the way) wasn't bad enough, now we have to be exposed to them marrying each other???

If you choose to be a so-called "airplane nut", I completely support your right to do so. But don't shove it in my face and demean the institution of marriage in the process.

Actually, one of our first dates was to go spot at SFO. A few months into our relationship we traveled to LA together for a wedding and we had a lunch date at the Encounters Restaurant at the LAX Theme Building. That was probably our single best date ever. I mean, we got to watch an Air Tahiti Nui A340 land. How many of you have seen that bird?

Although the day we spent spotting at NRT this last September was also pretty epic. I saw a few airlines I'd never heard of, and that's saying something.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

vikkyvik

Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:07 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 67):
I mean, we got to watch an Air Tahiti Nui A340 land. How many of you have seen that bird?

Geez, how many times have I not seen that bird??  

steeler83

Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:14 am

Quoting sccutler (Reply 33):
Congratulations - I hope your union is an enduring one, built upon trust and mutual respect.

At 31 years (in a month or so) married, I can offer this advice: there is no such thing as winning an argument with someone you love, and if you find yourself trying to do so, you're on the wrong path. Focus always on the common ground and the common good, be kind - and the details will tend to themselves.

Hmmm... There's no such thing as winning an argument with your wife! In this case, it's two guys, so I guess with Doc and psal1011, they'll be won half the time and lost half the time."

I think I have yet to win an argument. Although I might have won one or two, those are usually very brief victories that only lead to future arguments which I am pretty much guaranteed to lose anyway! Just about all of the time it's because I'm a royal pain in the ass. Yeah, I know it...

Seriously, Doc. Congrats to you both! Here's to several years of happiness!!
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

Viscount724

Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:52 am

Quoting johnboy (Reply 26):
So when are we gonna hear the pitter patter of tiny little feet in your place?

I think he's a pediatrician (or used to be, he deleted that reference from his profile a while ago) so he probably hears the pitter patter of tiny little feet every day!  

PHX787

Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:16 am

Although the day we spent spotting at NRT this last September was also pretty epic. I saw a few airlines I'd never heard of, and that's saying something.

Where'd u guys go when u went to NRT?

Spotting at T1 in the afternoon is a pain in the ass because the sun is right in front of you. My buddy once drove me to Sakura-no-Yama park, right on the south side (i.e., the sun behind you) of the runway. Saw the TN bird there  

you gotta take a bus from Narita City Hall to get here....pain in the ass... (thankfully my buddy drove)

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 68):
I mean, we got to watch an Air Tahiti Nui A340 land. How many of you have seen that bird?

Geez, how many times have I not seen that bird??

At NRT 4 times, LAX 3 times  And this is the times I am actually over at NRT. I am a HND boy   (and I avoid LAX like the black plague.)
Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/phx787

Continental

Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:36 am

Congrats, Doc! That's very exciting!

DocLightning
Topic Author

Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:07 pm

Quoting PHX787 (Reply 71):
Where'd u guys go when u went to NRT?

We did T1. It was a monsoon so there was no sun to worry about.

And I mean, we walked out on the observation deck and a FX MD-11 rocketed off at what looked like a 60-degree angle into the sky as if God were holding a magnet. Immediately after that, a JL 788 departed. And then it was widebody city interspersed with narrowbodies, some from LCC's I'd never heard of and even one national carrier (Air Niugini) I'd never known existed. LCC's I can understand I might not know them all. But the fact that there's a national carrier I'd never heard of shocked me.

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 70):
I think he's a pediatrician (or used to be, he deleted that reference from his profile a while ago) so he probably hears the pitter patter of tiny little feet every day!

You mean the shrieking because they're getting their shots?
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

Stabilator

Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:13 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 73):
You mean the shrieking because they're getting their shots?

Between that and over controlling parents, being a Pediatrician would drive me nuts. Props to you.
So we beat on against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

N1120A

Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:13 pm

Who said A.netters didn't have personality?

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 66):

Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

BNE

Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:01 am

Congrats, so where are the photos.

A big aviation news story breaks and I take a look at airliners.net and then take a look at the Non-aviation forum, to find out someone has got married.
Why fly non stop when you can connect

zippyjet

Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:15 am

Congratulations! May you two have a long life long loving, passionate marriage. Now the invite sounds tempting. And knowing our customers here. You will have a stampede, like a festival seating Who concert.
I'm Zippyjet & I approve this message!