Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

mt99
Topic Author

Apple CarPlay

Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:04 pm

What do you guys think?

https://www.apple.com/ios/carplay/

Personally - i think its a great idea; i already live within the Apple environment and it will be a nice extension. I find myself fighting with the awfull BMW iDrive system to listen to my music - Its so bad, that if you use a USB drive to store music - and you select "random" - its not random at all, every time you start it, it starts in the same order. Bothers me to no end  

It allows car manufactures to do what they do best (cars) and leave the entertainment interface to people who specialize in them
Step into my office, baby

casinterest

RE: Apple CarPlay

Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:16 pm

Quoting mt99 (Thread starter):
It allows car manufactures to do what they do best (cars) and leave the entertainment interface to people who specialize in them

It's a good idea. However I want the plug and play module to update my older car  .

It will be interesting to see as Kenwood, Pioneer, Garmin, and other car radio/GPS makers will now be under fire from Android, Apple, and I would assume Microsoft in this arena.
Where ever you go, there you are.

Goldenshield

Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:01 pm

Quoting casinterest (Reply 1):

It will be interesting to see as Kenwood, Pioneer, Garmin, and other car radio/GPS makers will now be under fire from Android, Apple, and I would assume Microsoft in this arena.

Microsoft has been handling the software for Ford's line of phone and entertainment interface for a few years now, although Ford has recently announced that they will drop them in favor of another OS (with Blackberry being the rumored replacement as they already have contracts with other car manufacturers.)
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

elbandgeek

Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:24 am

As much as I hate to admit it since Apple generally irritates me, this is a really good setup. The idea that the phone simply projects a customized version of it's own UI to the onboard system means in theory Microsoft and Google can do the same and any smartphone will work in its own way. The only potential flaw is Apple forces the automakers into some proprietary system that only supports iOS leaving Windows Phone and Android users to the generic interface. Hopefully they'll keep things open so everyone can get in on it.

sturmovik

Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:58 am

Quoting Goldenshield (Reply 2):
Ford has recently announced that they will drop them in favor of another OS

Finally. The Sync user interfaces were utter crap.
'What's it doing now?'

Goldenshield

Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:55 pm

Quoting sturmovik (Reply 4):
Finally. The Sync user interfaces were utter crap.

My parent's truck uses the first version if the MyFord Touch to come out, and my new truck has the latest version, the difference between the two is night and day. The only quirk I find with the interface is searching through a USB drive to find a song, which is more awkward than unusable, and near impossible when driving. I just use the voice command instead.
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

jetblueguy22

Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:26 pm

Looks like a cool idea. Something tells me it is only going to be on higher end cars at first though. Honestly having that interface would be nice, but even the one I have in my Toyota gets the job done. Plays the music through bluetooth, has all the song info, random works fine. I can even use siri. I'm an apple nut, but I wouldn't go out of my way to get this. GM should take a look at it. I rented a Chevy Cruze last weekend and trying to use it was like powering up the space shuttle.
Pat
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

Kiwirob

Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:52 pm

Do you really want the type of car that you buy to dictate the type of mobile you own? Google are at it as well and have teamed up with Audi, GM, Honda & Hyundai.

mt99
Topic Author

Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:38 pm

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 7):
Do you really want the type of car that you buy to dictate the type of mobile you own?

I think it will be interesting to see how manufactures "sell" this feature. - is it an add on? is it free? do you have both Apple and Google choice?

Why would you upgrade to a (profitable) Navigation Package if you can integrate Apple Maps from your phone?

[Edited 2014-03-06 14:53:52]
Step into my office, baby

Goldenshield

Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:09 pm

Quoting mt99 (Reply 8):
Why would you upgrade to a (profitable) Navigation Package if you can integrate Apple Maps from your phone?

Because some people actually want to reach their destination?

Ken777

Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:41 pm

Quoting Goldenshield (Reply 2):
(with Blackberry being the rumored replacement as they already have contracts with other car manufacturers.)

Odd that Ford would pick a platform that has had horrid financial issues and is now generally considered a "has been".

The other issue for me with Fords is that they pretty well overkill on their central dash. We rented an Escape on our last trip to Michigan and it seemed that the designers were more interested in science fiction than in a simple to understand and use design. I've driven cars for over half a century and have never had a problem with something as simple as operating the radio - until I rented that Ford. Utter clutter and useless for your average driver.

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 7):
Google are at it as well and have teamed up with Audi, GM, Honda & Hyundai.

What is going to be interesting is when an Apple customer asks the salesman why the car he wants to sell doesn't work well with his technology.

And what is Google going to do with the information they pull from your car? Flash ads of local businesses as you drive by? Or just keep track of where you are going and when?

Quoting Goldenshield (Reply 9):
Because some people actually want to reach their destination?

That would have been a good line a few years ago when Apple first introduced maps, but those days are gone and the Map app on my iPhone (and the wife's iPad) does a great job on the trips we take - like the one a couple weeks ago to Dallas.

Tugger

Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:25 am

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 10):
What is going to be interesting is when an Apple customer asks the salesman why the car he wants to sell doesn't work well with his technology.

IF they are smart the systems will work with other OS's somehow. But if they don't then they'll do the same thing an Android customer will do if they look at a car with CarPlay. And since there are three times as many Android phone owners....

And what is Google going to do with the information they pull from your car? Flash ads of local businesses as you drive by? Or just keep track of where you are going and when?

They will do the same as Apple: Improve map databases, create profiles for sales to business to review how people move in their areas, try to monetize what they can of the services and data available. It's all about the Benjamin's!  

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

Ken777

Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:53 am

Quoting tugger (Reply 11):
IF they are smart the systems will work with other OS's somehow.

When you are looking at a BB OS you have to hope the company stays around for a while. Looks somewhat like an Edsel of the mobile OS environment these days. That is a surprise step from Ford for me.

Tugger

Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:19 am

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 12):
When you are looking at a BB OS you have to hope the company stays around for a while. Looks somewhat like an Edsel of the mobile OS environment these days. That is a surprise step from Ford for me.

Honestly you have no idea what you are talking about, just as I too have no insight into what is being talked about. The base code of the new BBX platform is actually very good from what I have heard, the problem is they have lost their audience and no one cares or buys the product that utilizes the OS. But that doesn't mean it may not be an excellent and flexible OS. It was designed at a time when BB knew they would have to work within a universe that other dominant OS's and BB would need to be able to work with them somehow. Perhaps they is a key element, and right now BB is looking to raise cash and keep relevance. So they are willing to sell tech and offer development that others aren't willing to offer. Who knows? (Not us.)

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

airportugal310

Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:49 am

Quoting sturmovik (Reply 4):

I'd have to agree. I've rented plenty a Ford with Sync and it sucks absolute balls.
“They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.”

Braniff747SP

Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:54 am

BMW iDrive system

Frankly, I think iDrive is excellent as far as in-car systems go.

Sure, it has its quirks, but compare it to anything the Americans have ever made...
The 747 will always be the TRUE queen of the skies!

Kaphias

Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:14 am

Quoting Braniff747SP (Reply 15):
but compare it to anything the Americans have ever made...

I'd be careful about that. Chrysler's Uconnect is generally regarded as one of the best systems in the industry right now. Not to say that iDrive is bad, it's certainly very good, though quite different in control method.

jamincan

Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:46 pm

Odd that Ford would pick a platform that has had horrid financial issues and is now generally considered a "has been".

The other issue for me with Fords is that they pretty well overkill on their central dash. We rented an Escape on our last trip to Michigan and it seemed that the designers were more interested in science fiction than in a simple to understand and use design. I've driven cars for over half a century and have never had a problem with something as simple as operating the radio - until I rented that Ford. Utter clutter and useless for your average driver.

Just to be clear, the OS that Ford will be using is called QNX, which is a BlackBerry product. It is also used in a wide variety of other car systems and in other embedded platforms (it's possibly the best real-time OS out there). The incredible irony in you scoffing at Ford for using QNX is that the Apple CarPlay system is built on QNX as well. http://time.com/12452/gasp-apple-car...-runs-on-blackberrys-qnx-platform/

Thunderboltdrgn

Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:41 pm

What do you guys think?

A good idea but very poor implementation since its restricted to Ios phones only.

A good system should be able to function with all of the most common smartphone operating systems.
Like a thunderbolt of lightning the Dragon roars across the sky. Il Drago Ruggente

PITingres

Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:39 am

Quoting jamincan (Reply 17):
the OS that Ford will be using is called QNX, which is a BlackBerry product.

QNX may be a subsidiary of Blackberry but to the best of my knowledge, QNX predates Blackberry by many years. I don't recall when QNX was first offered but my recollection is that it was sometime in the 1980's. It is a very highly respected and stable embedded / real time OS.
Fly, you fools! Fly!

mham001

Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:43 pm

It's mind boggling that a car manufacturer would tie itself to such a closed, proprietary system as Apple, thus limiting their market to only those who use that particular product. Which isn't that many these days.

Quoting Braniff747SP (Reply 15):
Sure, it has its quirks, but compare it to anything the Americans have ever made...

Give me a break, German auto electronics are laughable and always have been.

Ken777

Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:27 pm

Quoting tugger (Reply 13):
Honestly you have no idea what you are talking about

All I know about BB these days is the long list of problems that they have been having. Lost market share (obviously) and problems at the executive levels.

And, as you noted, they are looking for cash.

I don't know how big a bet Ford is taking on BB, but I'd love to know what happens if BB folds.

BTW, the Edsel wasn't a "bad" car (though it did have a bad grill) - it just didn't get accepted in the consumer market.