Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

SA7700
Topic Author

Things That Others Do That Annoy You At The Gym?

Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:02 pm

**** DISCLAIMER: IF YOU ARE OF A NERVOUS OR SENSITIVE PREDISPOSITION, PLEASE DO NOT READ THIS THREAD. ****

I sometimes wonder if the reason some beginners resist the gym is the locker room experience? It is a bit exposing after all and some people honestly just lack any decorum whatsoever. It is not your home bathroom after all and locker room etiquette is something that that needs to be clearly understood for the benefit and comfort of all.

1. Nudity. The first thing that normally comes to mind when thinking about the locker room is nudity. Yes, nudity is inherently present. It’s a natural part of the experience yet something a bit uncomfortable for many. However, could we keep it to “prep time” before your gym session, as well as during- and after showers? Once dried off, throw on some shorts or a towel as you gather your clothes and begin to change.

2. Deodorant sprays are for your underarms only, not your butt or the rest of the co-occupants in the locker room.

3. Locker rooms are not that well known for their freshness. Despite the fact that you are in the company of other men, please do not audibly break wind. There are toilet stalls available and while you are at it, please make use of the flush mechanism.

4. Please do not urinate in the showers, let alone the steam room - it is revolting!

5. Change your socks at some stage, whether it is before or after your work out. It makes a world of difference.

6. Rather keep cell phones “stowed” whilst in the locker room. The clicking sound of a camera is rather unsettling to some of us.

7. Stealing other dudes towels, shoes, underwear or clothes is wrong on so many levels. Please think about it - do you really want or need them?

8. Mirror space is limited. Please be considerate and don’t primp, flex or pop acne in the locker room.

9. Blow drying your hair is okay. Blow-drying your privates is not visually appealing nor acceptable decorum.

10. Don’t hog all the bench space. Please keep your stuff together and organized and be willing to share the available space.

11. Sex in the locker room – need I say more? If you need to hook up or if you need some self-service time, please do it elsewhere in private and not in the showers, sauna, steam room or in the stalls.

Do you have any additional locker room etiquette tips to share? Maybe we can all laugh and grimace together.  

Regards,

SA7700
When you are doing stuff that nobody has done before, there is no manual – Kevin McCloud (Grand Designs)

planewasted

RE: Things That Others Do That Annoy You At The Gym?

Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:18 pm

Quoting SA7700 (Thread starter):
1. Nudity. The first thing that normally comes to mind when thinking about the locker room is nudity. Yes, nudity is inherently present. It’s a natural part of the experience yet something a bit uncomfortable for many. However, could we keep it to “prep time” before your gym session, as well as during- and after showers? Once dried off, throw on some shorts or a towel as you gather your clothes and begin to change.

Im totally different here. What annoys me is that some are so scared of some nudity. Especially the younger people seems terrible afraid of showing their stuff for people who don't care. Therefore I'm on purpose a bit slow when when grabbing my towel and such.  
People need to learn to not be ashamed of their bodies.

fr8mech

Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:21 pm

Ha, the wife and I were just discussing the goings-on in and the differences between male and female locker rooms.

1. Nudity.

While I don't have a problem with nudity, I do realize that others do. I keep my nudity limited to the time between removing my towel and putting on my underwear after a shower. My walk to the shower (individual, curtained stalls) is usually in my shorts and I wear the towel on the walk back to the locker.

4. Please do not urinate in the showers, let alone the steam room - it is revolting!

That results in instant expulsion and could result in a sound beating from some of the folks I know.

5. Change your socks at some stage,

My bare feet never hit the floor. I wear flip-flops to/from the shower.

6. Rather keep cell phones “stowed” whilst in the locker room.

Always on vibrate when stowed.

7. Stealing other dudes towels, shoes, underwear or clothes is wrong on so many levels. Please think about it - do you really want or need them?

Hence the term LOCKer.

10. Don’t hog all the bench space.

The locker room at my local Y is ill-designed. Not enough bench space for the amount of lockers, even when you consider only a fraction may be in use at any one time. Those of us that are regulars at 5am tend to have staked out our own area and locker and resent those interlopers that show up.  
Do you have any additional locker room etiquette tips to share? Maybe we can all laugh and grimace together.

Please, use a lock. I can't tell you how much time (albeit a very small amount) I've wasted opening lockers that are stuffed full of crap.

Please, when you use spray deoderant or hair spray, set-up an exclusion zone. You need about a 4 foot radius.

Please, incorporate some sort of fabric barrier between your bare ass-checks and the bench...because, ewwwwwwww.

The locker room is not a social club, especially small ones where space is at a premium. Come in, change and get out. I could give a rat's butt about your (insert topic here). I'm not saying you shouldn't be cordial and polite, but please, let's move it along people.

Leave your locker better than you found it. I can't tell you how many Q-Tips and tissues I've found laying in the bottom of a locker or on the floor.

Towel off a bit in the shower. Dripping on the floor in front of your locker is never, ever, not even once, acceptable behaviour.
When seconds count, the police are minutes away, or may not come at all.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

airtran737

Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:22 pm

Quoting planewasted (Reply 1):
m totally different here. What annoys me is that some are so scared of some nudity. Especially the younger people seems terrible afraid of showing their stuff for people who don't care. Therefore I'm on purpose a bit slow when when grabbing my towel and such.  
People need to learn to not be ashamed of their bodies.

Are you that guy that everyone hates in the locker room? The one who put his leg up on the bench so his nugget pouch can swing in the breeze?
Nice Trip Report!!! Great Pics, thanks for posting!!!! B747Forever

photoshooter

Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:31 pm

You just wrote thé bible for gym users! Can't really think of other etiquette tips. When I was using the hotel gym in Canada, there was this guy singing Katy Perry songs out loud (and listening to them with headphones). It was kind of funny but some were bothered.

My question though, did you experience this all in a gym or did it just cross your mind?   

I just hate it when there's like an overload of hairs in the gym shower. That's awful. I recall after the first gym class back in high school, everybody showered with his underpants on a had a reserve to put on after they were done. That ''spare underpants idea'' vanished by the years though. I guess it comes with the age.

Cheers,

Niek B.   
'A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.' - Winston Churchill

globalflyer

Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:33 pm

I do agree with a lot of what SA7700 says! Although I must say as an American I am likely not the norm when it comes to nudity. I mean we are who we are and there is nothing sexual about it. There is such "prudish" nature in the USA about nudity and I think it makes people even more sheltered. Kind of like alcohol use especially for the younger crowd. I do agree that people do not need to spend ages in there because that can be creepy. Do your business (meaning shower, shave and whatever else) and then be gone. I do not think the Americans will ever be as open as other cultures like some European countries. And I agree leave the phones and cameras stowed away. No one really needs to have a "selfie" taken or taken of them without their knowledge!  
Landing on every Continent almost on an annual basis!

planewasted

Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:36 pm

Quoting airtran737 (Reply 3):
Are you that guy that everyone hates in the locker room? The one who put his leg up on the bench so his nugget pouch can swing in the breeze?

No, but I don't do whatever it takes to not to show my nugget pouch. Don't you think it's a bit silly when people put on their underwear under the towel, because they are scared off showing their penis for one second?
People over 30 do as I do, kids don't. I guess it have something to do with confidence that comes with age.

[Edited 2014-03-20 07:39:22]

photoshooter

Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:44 pm

Quoting planewasted (Reply 6):
I guess it have something to do with confidence that comes with age.

Exactly why teenagers back in my high school even showered with underpants on.
'A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.' - Winston Churchill

Osubuckeyes

Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:47 pm

The locker room pet peeves have certainly been covered. Things that bother me at the gym:

People that talk to you on cardio equipment.
People that talk to you in the middle of a set.
People that yell at each other to "get pumped up for lifting"
Women that get ready for 30 minutes to walk on the treadmill to be seen.
The guy/girl that put wayyyyyyy to much cologne/perfume on before working out.
The guy/girl that wears the same clothes everyday to the gym.
People that throw/drop weights unnecessarily.
Everything and anyone associated with the crossfit cult.
The guy that leaves a seat really really really sweaty without wiping it down.
Anyone who reverse racks weights (heaviest on top, outside/lightest on bottom, inside)
The month of January.
Gym couples' overzealous PDA.

PhilBy

Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:48 pm

From the title I thought that this would be about the gym such as the man who cycles round three machines and leaves his towel on one and his water bottle on another to stop anyone using any of them in between his visits.
Over here the UK term changing room is more appropriate as there are only a few lockers at my current gym. The only thing of value that I take in is my car key and as it's RHD nobody going to take that.

Rather keep cell phones “stowed” whilst in the locker room.

Mine doesn't even get that far. I normally visit at lunchtime and it stays in the office.

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 2):
My walk to the shower (individual, curtained stalls) is usually in my shorts and I wear the towel on the walk back to the locker.

What gets me are those who wear shorts to the shower and keep them on. Eeeew, don't those bits need washing as well as the rest?
My previous gym in the UK had saunas past the showers and the norm was sitting on your towel. Very few people wore shorts.

SA7700
Topic Author

Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:01 pm

Thanks guys! I appreciate the contributions...

Quoting photoshooter (Reply 4):
My question though, did you experience this all in a gym or did it just cross your mind?

Most of them Niek - hence the list...

Normally I don't have a problem with nudity. I just don't need to see "Willy Wonka/s" all the way from the lockers to the showers, on to the steam room / sauna and then back to the lockers. It can get a bit too much, especially during peak times. That's not the reason why I joined the gym in the first place.  

Deodorant is welcome in moderation. Unfortunately some guys apply it to such an extent that it makes you want to gag. Which brings me to guys that takes their Vicks Vaporub and other menthol applications into the steam room. If you want to loosen up your chesty cough and also all that phlegm, please get a humidifier and do it at home.

@ osubuckeyes and PhilBy...

I agree with those as well. I don't get why some people need to place their towels on some of the equipment, leave to visit the locker room and eventually return 10 minutes or so thereafter. It is beyond inconsiderate, whether it is peak time or not. We all pay to make use of the facilities.

Another thing which I don't quite get is how the hell you can manage to exercise in earnest, yet manage to read a book, the newspaper or even the screen on your cell phone at the same time? Honestly, can't they do that at home / office or even in the park?

Thanks and regards,

SA7700

[Edited 2014-03-20 08:10:09]
When you are doing stuff that nobody has done before, there is no manual – Kevin McCloud (Grand Designs)

UAL Bagsmasher

Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:43 pm

I get tired of seeing many, many people use the toilet or urinal and go right back out to the gym without ever even attempting to wash their hands. I use Clorox disinfecting wipes I bring from home for this very reason. I was once told by gym management that I cannot be using my own wipes. I told them as soon as they mandate hand washing after taking care of business I would cease using them. End of discussion.
Another thing that gets on my nerves is people who hog the bathroom sinks and mirrors for twenty minute shaves. C'mon people, I'm sure you have a sink and mirror at home!

[Edited 2014-03-20 08:48:58]

casinterest

Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:53 pm

I hate when people camp on a certain piece of equipment, even when resting for FIVE MINUTES between sets. The Chest Fly , and Bench Press are notorious for this.

Quoting osubuckeyes (Reply 8):
The month of January.

I dislike January as well, but I have learned one thing. Most folks even in January do not like to work out in the evening from 8:00 on.
Where ever you go, there you are.

fr8mech

Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:32 pm

Quoting casinterest (Reply 12):
I hate when people camp on a certain piece of equipment, even when resting for FIVE MINUTES between sets. The Chest Fly , and Bench Press are notorious for this.

"Excuse me, do you mind if I get a set in?"

I've said it before and will say it again. Not once has someone not yielded the seat.

Quoting UAL Bagsmasher (Reply 11):
I use Clorox disinfecting wipes I bring from home for this very reason.

Actually, I find this as a problem. While, I'm not allergic to bleach or any of it's derivative consumer products, the odor it leaves behind is distracting and annoying. The Y requests that every member wipe down the machines afte use with provided towels and a very mild cleaner. I wipe before and after if I have a concern.

The month of January

This January was especially bad. Due to the abnormal weather, quite a few folks decided to honor their New Year's resolution on the indoor 1/10 mile track at the Y. It was like an obstacle course to try and get a 5K in during January.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray

smittyone

Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:40 pm

Foot powder. Douchebags will dust their feet / shoes and everything around them with their magical white medical powder and then leave the collateral damage for the rest of us to enjoy.

Quoting UAL Bagsmasher (Reply 11):
I get tired of seeing many, many people use the toilet or urinal and go right back out to the gym without ever even attempting to wash their hands.

I sort of wish that I did, but I just don't really care about germs other than being careful when cooking/handling raw meat.

I've had a cat for the last 15 years (may she RIP) so you get used the fact that every horizontal surface in your house has conceivably been stepped on by her feet that were just in the litter box.

Now I have a dog and he eats his own vomit (and probably poop) and/or licks his naughty bits and then licks me. You just learn to adjust and let your immune system carry the load.

I get the whole "typhoid Mary" thing but that is why I wash MY hands before I eat. Every surface not under my control is assumed to be fecal.

casinterest

Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:46 pm

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 13):
"Excuse me, do you mind if I get a set in?"

I've said it before and will say it again. Not once has someone not yielded the seat.

I do It, but I see others that don't want to interrupt someone's workout.

cjg225

Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:03 pm

My pet peeve right now is the people who come to the gym and just talk to other people for the entire time I'm there. They don't do anything.

I am not saying you can't talk to other people or socialize, but why are you even at the gym if, for the 45 minutes I observe them, they just stand around chatting? Fortunately, the part of the gym they stand in (and do nothing in) is not heavily traveled by myself, so they don't get in my way, but I can still see and hear them. There's nothing inherently annoying about it like people yelling, throwing weights, etc., but I find it really odd.

I am moving to North Carolina for 8 months and am wondering what my gym experience will be like there. The apartment complex in which I'll be living has, by far, the best-equipped gym I have ever seen at an apartment, so I am not going to bother with a gym membership anywhere. I usually work out first thing in the morning, so I see the same small subset of people anytime I go to the gym, regardless of which gym I go to. I wonder if I'll even encounter anyone at this gym. lol

The guy/girl that wears the same clothes everyday to the gym.

I fail to see what the problem is here.  

I have a set of clothes that are my workout clothes. That's their function. That is their only function. They're not worn for any other purpose. They get washed frequently.

The gym I went to when I lived in Harrisburg had a bunch of guys like this on Sunday afternoons. Annoying as heck. Some of the things they say to each other are downright hilarious, though. Like, how can you seriously say some of these things and not laugh yourselves?
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...

casinterest

Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:23 pm

The other thing at the Y, that doesn't really make me mad. but seems like people are taking advantage, are the folks that put their kids in the childcare and then sit in the lobby for 2 hours reading a book.

fr8mech

Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:29 pm

Quoting casinterest (Reply 17):
The other thing at the Y, that doesn't really make me mad. but seems like people are taking advantage, are the folks that put their kids in the childcare and then sit in the lobby for 2 hours reading a book.

It's a Y thing. My Y demands that you remain in the building, that's it. Apparently they had a problem with parents dropping kids and taking a 'stroll' off the property.

Neither of my kids hit the day care anymore. My oldest runs with me or uses a treadmill or cycle and my youngest prefers to sit in the lobby and read books on his tablet.

Osubuckeyes

Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:38 pm

Quoting cjg225 (Reply 16):
I have a set of clothes that are my workout clothes. That's their function. That is their only function. They're not worn for any other purpose. They get washed frequently.

People fail to wash them frequently. If you wear the same clothes everyday to the gym your either washing them everyday or your not and you smell. I have a problem with the latter.

Quoting cjg225 (Reply 16):
Like, how can you seriously say some of these things and not laugh yourselves?

The Rec at ASU is notorious for this. Even now at my gym there are some that are just ridiculous, but not as bad as on/by campus.

SA7700
Topic Author

Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:49 pm

Quoting osubuckeyes (Reply 19):
People fail to wash them frequently. If you wear the same clothes everyday to the gym your either washing them everyday or your not and you smell. I have a problem with the latter.

Of course you should have a problem with that. How on earth does one wear unwashed, smelly gym clothes day after day? I wash my gym clothes and towels after every session or swop them with a set of fresh ones for the next day. It is just proper hygiene and respect for yourself, as well as for those people around you.

Thanks and have great day,

SA7700

L-188

Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:51 pm

My trainer came up with one on Tuesday......Birthday Burpee's!
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

PHX787

Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:24 pm

Kinda rare to see SA7700 start a thread     

For me, I don't go to the gym at all actually. I am too lazy to do so haha

But in Japan we have those Onsen and sento, the hot springs and the public baths respectively.

There's a LOT of rules, and the most notable to foreign visitors is the no tattoo rule. even if you have a little tiny heart on your foot, you'll be kicked out of and banned from the facility. it's a pathetic rule, but it's to ward off the Japanese gangsters who have very elaborate tattoos.....

1. Nudity.

Japanese baths are full of old men usually, but the occasional tourist often goes. The one thing I have to worry about, being a white dude in Japan, is Japanese people staring in fascination at my junk......I'm not boasting or anything, but I think it's a known fact that our...em...sizes...are different from asians.....and also Asians don't get circumcised usually, so that also plays into a fact.

2. Deodorant spray

Japanese people actually don't have body odor (usually) so this isn't much of a factor...

but when I played hockey in the USA, our alternate captain who was the defensive captain would spray himself silly with Axe....stank up the locker room. Once, one of the dads came in to drop off some gear, and he said he could smell the axe all the way on the bench (about 70 yards away.) so yeah I agree with you there.

6. Rather keep cell phones “stowed” whilst in the locker room

In Japan, people freak out if you have your phone out in the locker rooms. They get all anxious. It's pretty funny.

10. Don’t hog all the bench space

Japanese people tend to do this. They lay out every single article of clothing with a good 3 inches between each article, and then meticulously proceed to shove it all in the locker....very slowly. When the rooms are crowded, this can get quite annoying.

11. Sex in the locker room
IS THIS A THING IN SOUTH AFRICA?! I can never imagine that happening in Japan.....
Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/phx787

SoJo

Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:48 pm

Thankfully, now I'm of the (UK) pension age I don't have to worry about such things. I just watch the macho(?) men and women leaving the places of torture trying to look healthy. Makes me shudder   Old age does have it's advantages.         
RAF Abingdon 1967. I met Beverley from Blackburn. Fantastic!

SA7700
Topic Author

Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:57 pm

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 2):
Please, incorporate some sort of fabric barrier between your bare ass-checks and the bench...because, ewwwwwwww.

Now that you mention it. There are a few dudes at my club who tends to hog the benches at the showers and steam room, with their bare ass-cheeks, in between "sweating it out" and taking a shower. I don't really get the purpose of that...  eyebrow 

Quoting PHX787 (Reply 22):
Kinda rare to see SA7700 start a thread

Buzz off Zach!  
Quoting PHX787 (Reply 22):
IS THIS A THING IN SOUTH AFRICA?! I can never imagine that happening in Japan.....

Luckily it is not the norm, though you will always get those few that will try and push the boundaries. If you really value your membership, at my club anyway, you will not engage in such activities...

Take care and have a great evening,

SA7700

[Edited 2014-03-20 12:22:39]

mika

Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:03 pm

What annoys me in the gym? Not enough Ronnie Coleman references being made!

Yeah BUDDDDDYYYYYY!!!

jetblueguy22

Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:04 pm

People that throw/drop weights unnecessarily.
6. Rather keep cell phones “stowed” whilst in the locker room. The clicking sound of a camera is rather unsettling to some of us.

My University's fitness center would drive you guys nuts! Bunch of college guys trying to show off for the girls. And the girls taking selfies constantly.

I agree with everything you said Hercules. People just don't think sometimes. My biggest gripe is just those big dudes who think that just because they can bench so much they own the gym. Hey pal, my fees are the same as yours, hit the road when you're done.
Pat
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

TWA772LR

Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:01 pm

As a former high school athlete, I've pretty much gotten used to anything and everything in a locker room.

But at the gym, I usually hate it when people hog the equipment.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

fr8mech

Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:26 pm

Quoting jetblueguy22 (Reply 26):
My University's fitness center would drive you guys nuts! Bunch of college guys trying to show off for the girls. And the girls taking selfies constantly.

That's really to be expected at just about any university's gym or fitness center.

Years ago, I was an non-traditional, part-time student at a local small college and had a MWF 0900 class. I worked nights and got off at 0630. I'd go to the gym on campus and work-out. The place was always empty. Every now and again, this one guy would come in, walk around, see me and walk out. He did this 3 or 4 times every couple of mornings. Only when there was an attractive female in the gym would he come in and start to 'workout'. He never talked to them.

mika

Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:01 pm

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 28):
this one guy would come in, walk around, see me and walk out. He did this 3 or 4 times every couple of mornings. Only when there was an attractive female in the gym would he come in and start to 'workout'.

That is probably the lamest behavior of them all actually... Anyone serious about their body knows from day one that there's one reason and one reason only why you're busting your nuts in the gym; you do it for yourself.

Mike89406

Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:20 pm

My pet peeve is narcissist guys that stand in front of the mirrors and show off. We've all seen them... They either pose in the workout area or come from behind or next to you the locker room while you're standing in front of the mirror & flex or admire themselves.

[Edited 2014-03-20 16:16:04]

jpetekyxmd80

Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:49 pm

1. Exercise
2. Exercise
3. Exercise
The Best Care in the Air, 1984-2009

saigonhouston

Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:01 pm

Things that bother me at the gym:
- People that don't dry off themself after shower. They walk out with water dripping and soaking wet in the locker area. I usually pointed out and let them know.
- Pee in the shower
-Stinking socks and odor smell. I always have my Pasha de Cartier cologne on hand to spray some on me and in the air.

ohhhh....I like #11. Where is that gym? hahaha

Mike89406

Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:14 pm

It's not really a pet peeve however when people come in to the steam room with they're ipod or iphone. It's something I wouldn't do since those devices aren't waterproof.

Silly questions like when I wear my under armour shirt a few people asked me what kind of short is that or what does it do?

PhilBy

Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:10 am

1. Nudity.

I suppose that as the origin of the gymnasium was a place for blokes to walk around naked and show off their bodies we perhaps shouldn't complain. The bit with the weights was added later. If there hadn't been gymnasiums it would have been that much harder for the greeks to chose their guests for the symposiums.

seb146

Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:05 am

The two things that bother me at my gym are:

1. making EXTREMELY loud grunting noises while lifting. I have heard similar noises in porn films.

2. Taking selfies in the locker room. I get you want to show off your guns and show your woman (or man... I don't judge) how ripped you are. But, some people are uncomfortable and creeped out by taking pics in such a private space! Stop it!!
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

SA7700
Topic Author

Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:59 am

Quoting PhilBy (Reply 34):
I suppose that as the origin of the gymnasium was a place for blokes to walk around naked and show off their bodies we perhaps shouldn't complain. The bit with the weights was added later. If there hadn't been gymnasiums it would have been that much harder for the greeks to chose their guests for the symposiums.

Touché! Then again I can't remember seeing any nude Olympic athletes participating at recent events. Not in London or Sochi anyway... The luge and bobsledding would have entered an entirely new dimension.  

Regards,

SA7700

PhilBy

Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:09 am

Quoting SA7700 (Reply 36):
Touché! Then again I can't remember seeing any nude Olympic athletes participating at recent events. Not in London or Sochi anyway... The luge and bobsledding would have entered an entirely new dimension.

You should check perhaps youtube for the Spitting Image sketch on Olympic Bonking.

steman

Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:55 am

Quoting Mike89406 (Reply 30):
My pet peeve is narcissist guys that stand in front of the mirrors and show off. We've all seen them... They either pose in the workout area or come from behind or next to you the locker room while you're standing in front of the mirror & flex or admire themselves.

Agreed.
In my gym many guys wear tank tops, the very loose kind or very tiny that basically let you see their nipples.
Ok I admit I sometimes indulge in the sight which can be very tantalizing.
But it´s distracting, sometimes disgusting and anyway I don´t get why many supposedly straight guys would want to show so much of their Body to other straight guys?
There are hardly ever girls in my gym. They tend to be in the gym classes or cardio equipment area and not in the weight room. Flexing in front of mirrors when everyone else can see you is just plain narcisismum and tells a lot about you: douchebag!  

As for nudity, Germany is very open minded, like other northern Countries.
The only guys that shower with underwear on are americans and turkish. I find them ridiculous but I understand it´s a cultural thing so I´d never say anything to them. I make a point not to look at them at all, so that they might not feel embarassed.

Kiwirob

Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:06 am

The month of January.

Yip that's a bad month, February is when 50% drop out the rest are gone by March.

Nudity in the changing room isn't an issue, what we need more of is the German attitude to nudity and co-ed saunas.

What really annoys me is people who don't perform exercises properly, it's shockingly bad at my gym, they don't have trainers so people just go in and throw weights around. I've seen a few people get injured, I have given some pointers to people when I think they are going to hurt themselves, but most expecially if they are young males don't listen. I don't bother anymore.

smittyone

Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:41 am

Quoting steman (Reply 38):

As for nudity, Germany is very open minded, like other northern Countries.
The only guys that shower with underwear on are americans and turkish. I find them ridiculous but I understand it´s a cultural thing so I´d never say anything to them. I make a point not to look at them at all, so that they might not feel embarassed.

Hell I don't care what people think of my naughty bits, I just don't like to shower with others because I realize my body is pretty damned demoralizing to look at. No underwear can help that.

If I were in really good shape I'd walk around with a Borat bathing suit 24x7.

zrs70

Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:44 am

I go to a gym with towel service. Can't stand it when are too lazy to throw used towels in the hamper. The gym often has wet towels all over the floor.
20 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2020

us330

Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:46 am

My major pet peeve: when people don't wipe down the equipment after using it--especially in the days of antibiotic resistant MRSA.

Annoyance, but livable: people yapping on their cell phones--but that's not limited to the gym--I hate having to hear other people's cell phone conversations regardless of where they are.

SA7700
Topic Author

Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:18 pm

Quoting casinterest (Reply 12):

This morning it was particularly busy at my club, it being a public holiday over here. I observed two girls who took about 7-8 minutes, hogging 2x treadmills whilst discussing their imminent angle of attack – pace, length of exercise and more. Why the hell they couldn't just do this somewhere else, beforehand, no one seems to know. It is not a needlepoint or crochet class, for heavens sake!  

Have a great day,

SA7700

cjg225

Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:05 pm

So, at the gym this morning I was looking at what people were wearing. I guess a lot of people wear the same thing every day. I still don't see how it's bothersome. Maybe because I go to the gym when there aren't many people there so we're spread out and smells don't travel much. I don't know. I just don't see (or smell) any problem.

PITingres

Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:58 pm

Peeing in the shower doesn't bother me -- the shower is almost certainly a hell of a lot cleaner than the toilet and urinal areas, pee or no pee -- but it does bother enough people that it's "not done" at my gym (a local YMCA).

Most of the other complaints are things I don't see. We tend to have mostly older guys and I guess the regulars have learned to not be jerks. Nobody drips water all around or takes photos in the locker room. (I think THAT is one thing that would get someone beat up and thrown out!)

The showering in underwear thing is just weird IMHO, but whatever.
Fly, you fools! Fly!

sovietjet

Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:18 pm

Maybe not so much an "annoyance" but an interesting experience. My gym has a lot of extremely attractive women. There's a few who every now and then would wear super short shorts and no undies. While this is great, it distracts me and visibly I can see other guys get distracted too when she starts doing leg abductions and her labia is clearly visible from the right angle. As a guy, you can't help but look. But I can't help but wonder, why?? I think clearly they know they are hot, and must know their meat flaps are sometimes visible, and want the attention. But any time one of us has tried some "small talk" with them in between sets all you get is a very passive responsive answer and no interest. Do they just wanna flaunt and show what we "can't have"? It's somewhat annoying to be honest.

Quoting osubuckeyes (Reply 19):

Maybe overreacting a bit  . For example when you were in high school did you wash your gym uniform every day? I washed mine once a week because it was just too impractical to do laundry every single day. Same at the gym. I wear a different shirt every day (bought a bunch of cheap ones). But I use the same sweatpants for the week, then wash them. Who the hell does laundry every day?

cjg225

Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:26 pm

I avoid all these locker room issues by simply not using them, really.

At least with my current gym, I live just a couple miles away. I drive to the gym and bring just my water bottle and car keys inside. No need to use the locker room. When I leave, I put a towel on the driver's seat and drive on home. I keep my car extremely neat and clean, so if I felt this was at all affecting the smell or feel of my car, I wouldn't be doing it.

Even when I don't drive to a gym, like when I was at Penn State, I'd basically just run in, throw my bag in a locker, and run back out. I would be in there barely a minute.

Kiwirob

Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:05 pm

Quoting steman (Reply 38):
like other northern Countries.

Not Norway, they are pretty prudish here, in 7 years I've never seen a women topless on a beach, pretty sad IMO.

DocLightning

Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:01 am

EVERY TIME YOU DON'T RE-RACK YOUR WEIGHTS, JUSTIN BEIBER WRITES A NEW SONG.

Just wanted you all to know.

EVERY TIME YOU DON'T WIPE DOWN YOUR DIRTY SWEATY NASTY EQUIPMENT FOR THE NEXT USER, KANYE WEST GETS A CONFIDENCE BOOST.

True story.

One last thing, if I hear you talking on your phone in the locker room, I will rip out your windpipe. Have a nice day!  

(Unless you're bigger than me, in which case I'll just quietly stew.)
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan