Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

UAL Bagsmasher
Topic Author

East Coast/Mid-Atlantic Frozen Pizza

Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:35 pm

I'm a Chicago area transplant currently residing in the Mid-Atlantic region. I would like to know why I cannot find for sale a frozen sausage pizza in any grocery store out here. I don't care what brand it is. I've seen sausage/pepperoni, supreme, etc. I have yet to see however a plain sausage frozen pizza. I challenge anyone to locate one in this part of the country. Not even Tombstone has them out here. Why does no retailer carry at least one variety in this region? I'm sure they would sell. Does anyone have any leads on where to find one? Local restaurant pizza is only worthy of a trip to the trash can when one is used to the real thing. Thanks for any help!

casinterest

RE: East Coast/Mid-Atlantic Frozen Pizza

Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:55 pm

Quoting UAL Bagsmasher (Thread starter):
I'm a Chicago area transplant currently residing in the Mid-Atlantic region. I would like to know why I cannot find for sale a frozen sausage pizza in any grocery store out here. I don't care what brand it is. I've seen sausage/pepperoni, supreme, etc. I have yet to see however a plain sausage frozen pizza. I challenge anyone to locate one in this part of the country. Not even Tombstone has them out here. Why does no retailer carry at least one variety in this region? I'm sure they would sell. Does anyone have any leads on where to find one? Local restaurant pizza is only worthy of a trip to the trash can when one is used to the real thing. Thanks for any help!

Frozen, I have no clue, but in Raleigh I can point you to a Pizza joint that actually has a great Sausage pizza.
Where ever you go, there you are.

UAL Bagsmasher
Topic Author

Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:00 pm

Thanks Casinterest. I'm actually in Delaware though so Raleigh would be quite the haul for a pizza 

tz757300

Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:48 am

Quoting UAL Bagsmasher (Reply 2):
Delaware

Do like all other out-of-staters and go grab a Sausage Pie from Grotto's haha.

Which part of the state are you in? Born and raised there and recently just moved. Nobody gets frozen pizza because there are tons of pizza places to choose from, if you know where to look.

But

Local restaurant pizza is only worthy of a trip to the trash can when one is used to the real thing. Thanks for any help!

Maybe frozen is best for you :-P

DL_Mech

Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:05 am

Supposedly, Home Run Inn has a frozen sausage pizza. It is tough to find, but we have it here in ATL. Otherwise, I have not seen a Sausage only pizza in years.

http://www.homeruninnpizza.com/frozen-pizza/classic
This plane is built to withstand anything... except a bad pilot.

Mike89406

Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:45 am

I know Costco or SAMS Club usually has sausage pizza, I'm not sure if Schwanns delivery carries them. Safeway/Vons in California carries them. When I lived on MD there was Safeway's in the Mid-Atlantic usually in the deli section... If they don't have it visible ask the deli guys as they have Kroger's pizzas stored in the back,
Hope this helps.

Edited to Add: checked the website and they have Safeway stores in the Mid Atlantic just type you're zip in the store locater.
http://www.safeway.com/ShopStores/Store-Locator-Results.page

Also try finding a Papa Murphy's or Papa Johns I know they had one where I lived in Southern MD.

[Edited 2014-03-20 19:55:22]

bohica

Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:57 am

Quoting Mike89406 (Reply 5):
I'm not sure if Schwanns delivery carries them.

They do. The only problem is that the Schwans rep is on a 2 week route cycle. If you wait for him to come to your house then order from him, he might be out of sausage pizzas. If that's the case, you're SOL for 2 weeks. Go to their website and order online ahead of time. That way the Schwans truck will have the sausage pizzas reserved for you when he arrives.

LFutia

Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:22 pm

Do you miss your Lou Malnati's or Giordanos yet?

Quoting DL_Mech (Reply 4):

I'm surprised you get our local frozen pizza all the way in Atlanta. Who woulda thunk it?

Leo/ORD
Leo/ORD

UAL Bagsmasher
Topic Author

Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:28 pm

TZ757300, I'm in the vicinity of Christiana Mall. Only an hour drive from the Air Mobility Command Museum at Dover AFB.
You can keep Grotto's. Haha.
Home Run Inn is good, but I have yet to see it out here either. I do miss all the local Chicago mom and pop pizza joints. When I fly home to ORD, I buy two or three pizzas from the local restaurants. I then freeze them, and stuff them in my black 22 when I nonrev back home to PHL. Pathetic I know. But east coast pizza turns me off. They roll it up like a taco to eat it. I'll take my crispy crust any day over that soggy crap out here. The crust is awful and the spices are wrong or just missing altogether. Frozen pizza is better than any chain or small pizza restaurant I've tried here.
I have seen Schwan's trucks around, so that might be something to pursue. Thanks for all the feedback guys!

DL_Mech

Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:44 am

Quoting LFutia (Reply 7):
I'm surprised you get our local frozen pizza all the way in Atlanta. Who woulda thunk it?

One of the places that sells it is Publix (a Florida grocery chain). They probably carry it so all those Chicago snowbirds can get a taste of home in Florida.

Come to think of it, I've eaten at a Giordanos in Orlando.
This plane is built to withstand anything... except a bad pilot.

Moose135

Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:24 pm

I guess it must be a Chicago thing, preferring frozen pizza to one fresh from a local pizzeria...
KC-135 - Passing gas and taking names!

Mike89406

Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:17 pm

Quoting UAL Bagsmasher (Reply 8):

I realize this is slightly off topic... however you mentioned that you didn't care much for east coast pizza. If you make a trip to NYC there are a handful of really good pizza places. Not every pizza place in NY is created equally. Most tourists go to Manhattan where all you're going to get is the mainstream pizza joints.

To find really good authentic pizza there you have to do a little research. Some of the best pizza is the brick oven pizza and perhaps the best IMO can be found in the outer boroughs like Bensonhurst neighborhood in Brooklyn, Staten Island etc...

Here are my favorites

http://grimaldis.com
Great pizza with imported tomatoes from Naples.

If traditional crust isn't you're cup of tea try the Sicilian pizza at L & B's Spumoni Garden. Big square pizza with thick crust yet nothing like you've ever seen elsewhere
http://www.spumonigardens.com

UAL Bagsmasher
Topic Author

Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:44 pm

Moose135, it's actually quite the opposite. The only reason I am asking about frozen pizza is because all the local restaurant pizza here absolutely sucks. I would much rather have one from a restaurant any day of the week. I just haven't found any that are palatable here.
Mike89406, I'll keep that in mind next time I'm up in NYC for a field service trip 

tz757300

Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:31 am

Quoting UAL Bagsmasher (Reply 12):
The only reason I am asking about frozen pizza is because all the local restaurant pizza here absolutely sucks

Where have you gone for pizza? PM me if you want some suggestions for places to go to.