Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

smittyone
Topic Author

Political Correctness And Geographic Names

Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:10 pm

Interested in your thoughts on something.

Growing up in the 1970s, we called the cities in China and India "Peking" and "Bombay".

Now, I realize that these names are not what the people who live there call them...and "Beijing" and "Mumbai" are the currently used names for these cities in American English. Which is fine, I figure just tell me what you prefer to be called and that is what I will call you! But I've detected something of a double standard...

If I were to use the names Peking or Bombay in polite conversation today here in the US, people might look at me like I'm some sort of backward imperialist/racist asshat and would most likely correct me.

On the other hand if I were to say Munich (instead of Munchen) or Rome (instead of Roma), Par-iss (instead of "Par-ee"), Moscow (instead of Moskva) or a dozen other examples I can think of, that's all good. It's as though I can safely Anglicize the hell out of Euro place names but not Asian.

Is this self-imposed political correctness? People trying to sound more exotic or erudite? Or something else?

WingsFan

RE: Political Correctness And Geographic Names

Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:44 pm

I don't think this has anything to do with political correctness or people trying to sound exotic.

Until very recently many of these places *were* governed by imperial nations who changed names for whatever reasons.
After independence it is not surprising that many places reverted back to using local names which should have been used all along in the first place. So there is a little more sensitivity around names in general in Asia due to underlying imperial history and subsequent pride in local names.

I have no knowledge as to why European city names were changed, but my best guess is that places like Munich, Rome etc were not renamed by imperial powers but mostly as a result of foreigners butchering local names . With lack of any negative history around the names, I would expect everyone to be less sensitive.

You using Bombay instead of Mumbai should not bother anyone,especially people of Mumbai. You will occasionally get someone half jokingly remind you of the name change but it is perfectly understood that Bombay was a prevalent name for hundred years or more . Someone using Bombay instead of Mumbai does not indicate any ill will or imperialistic ambitions but more of a habit. I don't think its a big issue.

I should also remind you that this sensitivity around names also plays out in within people of the same nation. You don't have to be a foreigner to experience a native resident of the city insisting on using local name. Any 'outsider' is just as good.

WingsFan

smittyone
Topic Author

Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:57 pm

Quoting WingsFan (Reply 1):
I don't think this has anything to do with political correctness or people trying to sound exotic.

Until very recently many of these places *were* governed by imperial nations who changed names for whatever reasons.
After independence it is not surprising that many places reverted back to using local names which should have been used all along in the first place. So there is a little more sensitivity around names in general in Asia due to underlying imperial history and subsequent pride in local names.

I have no knowledge as to why European city names were changed, but my best guess is that places like Munich, Rome etc were not renamed by imperial powers but mostly as a result of foreigners butchering local names . With lack of any negative history around the names, I would expect everyone to be less sensitive.

You using Bombay instead of Mumbai should not bother anyone,especially people of Mumbai. You will occasionally get someone half jokingly remind you of the name change but it is perfectly understood that Bombay was a prevalent name for hundred years or more . Someone using Bombay instead of Mumbai does not indicate any ill will or imperialistic ambitions but more of a habit. I don't think its a big issue.

I should also remind you that this sensitivity around names also plays out in within people of the same nation. You don't have to be a foreigner to experience a native resident of the city insisting on using local name. Any 'outsider' is just as good.

Makes sense to me, but still hard to understand why my own countrymen would be particular when it comes to anglicizing/modifying one city's name vice another. Mind you, I have not experienced it personally (because I use the 'approved names' LOL) but have seen people on social media etc. taken to task for using the old terminology.

Kiwirob

Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:57 pm

You using Bombay instead of Mumbai should not bother anyone,especially people of Mumbai.

I don't know if this is correct of not, but an Indian guy I used to work with said most Indians still call Mumbai, Bombay.

vikkyvik

Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:30 pm

Quoting smittyone (Thread starter):
If I were to use the names Peking or Bombay in polite conversation today here in the US, people might look at me like I'm some sort of backward imperialist/racist asshat and would most likely correct me.

I still call it Bombay (and Bangalore, and Calcutta, and sometimes Madras).

No one in my family corrects me, or even cares, far as I know.

Quoting smittyone (Reply 2):
Mind you, I have not experienced it personally (because I use the 'approved names' LOL) but have seen people on social media etc. taken to task for using the old terminology.

People on social media will always take other people to task for whatever they can. It's stupid.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

dtw2hyd

Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:53 pm

AFAIK in India one regional party changed their city name to reflect traditional roots, everyone else jumped on the bandwagon. So, other than local politicians no one else cares what you call it.
All posts are just opinions.

ER757

Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:33 pm

Growing up in the 1970s, we called the cities in China and India "Peking" and "Bombay".

quite a few others changed as well. I can think of Chungking and Calcutta right off the top of my head. I try to use the current accepted names when I know them

golfradio

Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:50 pm

I was born and raised in Bombay and when I left India it was still called Bombay. The name change happened much later. I still call it Bombay and not Mumbai. In fact I find it odd when some Canadians sometimes questioningly ask me "Mumbai?" when I say Bombay. Same goes for other cities in India. None of the Indians except for some crazies in are going to take offence if you use the old anglicized names.
CSeries forever. Bring back the old site.

Braybuddy

Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:40 am

I suppose we've been bombarded with Mumbai and Beijing by the media for so long now so that it was only a matter of time before they became mainstream. It took me several years to get these names fixed in my mind. As for other foreign names, it is a bit of a minefield. Names like Munich, Paris, Venice, Rome etc have become so entrenched in the Anglosphere that it would be next to impossible to change them now. Anyway, it doesn't seem to be a problem, just the same as the way as English speakers don't have a problem with Londres or Dublino.

The thing irritates me far more is when English speakers use the native pronunciation for foreign cities, such as Bar-the-lona or Buda-pesht, usually as a way of showing-off that they were there. Strangely they never seem to say Paree, Roma, Venezia or Muenchen.

You using Bombay instead of Mumbai should not bother anyone,especially people of Mumbai.

A while ago, while waiting in our local branch of the Bombay Pantry for my take-away, I asked the Indian staff why it wasn't called the Mumbai Pantry. They just laughed . . .

Airontario

Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:47 am

Now if anyone calls it's Mawn Treal I will look at you like you're stupid! It's Mun treal. :P Same with Torono, There's only one T in it.  

Braybuddy

Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:10 am

Quoting Airontario (Reply 9):

Now if anyone calls it's Mawn Treal I will look at you like you're stupid! It's Mun treal. :P Same with Torono, There's only one T in it.

I gather that's a jibe at your next door neighbours . . .   

Similarly, when meeting Americans they usually ask where I'm from. When I tell them, they often mis-hear and think I'm saying Holland. I tell them again and get a blank look. One or two have said they don't know where that is. Then I say "Ireland, next to England", and they say "Oh EYERLAND!". Nobody here would ever use that pronunciation. We practically drop the first E, making it sound more like "Ar-land".

IADCA

Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:42 pm

Quoting Braybuddy (Reply 10):
Nobody here would ever use that pronunciation. We practically drop the first E, making it sound more like "Ar-land".

A bit like how some Americans call our land 'Murka, yeah? (Kidding, of course.)

I think these examples may be a bit different. For Beijing, they didn't literally change the name of the city, as in the Chinese characters are the same as they were before. They just switched the Romanized pronunciation of it to the northern Mandarin sound. The original westernized Peking (or even Pe King) sounds closer to how the same name is pronounced in Southern dialects and also in Cantonese, which is where the British would have first encountered the name.

Asturias

Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:14 am

Growing up in the 1980s, we also called the cities Peking and Bombay. I still do. So do all other Spanish people.
Tonight we fly

Birdwatching

Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:04 am

I lived in South Africa for some time in 2006 and 2007, and at that time all the "white" names of cities were being replaced. Also I believe at the same time the name of JNB was changed from Jan Smuts to O.R.Tambo. Most of the Afrikaaners I was with got very worked up about those changes.
I only remember a few, they changed Nelspruit to Mbombela, Pietersburg to Polokwane, and there were plans to change Pretoria to Tshwane.

Soren   
All the things you probably hate about travelling are warm reminders that I'm home

PanHAM

Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:24 am

When you speak your own language call the Cities the way they are called, sometimes since centuries.

This whole "political correctness" BS is a language Gestapo which should not exist in a free world. I have no Problem when a French says "Aix-la-Chapelle" when he means Aachen which is hard to pronounce for the French, I have no Problem when English say Cologne instead of Koeln or Italians speak of Monaco instead of Muenchen, which has a couple of other foreign names.

There's an endless list of names in Europe alone, names which exist since centuries, no one gets offended here and in multiligual countries like Belgium I have rather a Problem with Belgian/Germans in the German part of Belgium painting over the French Version Name of their villages.
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

MD11Engineer

Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:56 am

Quoting IADCA (Reply 11):

I think these examples may be a bit different. For Beijing, they didn't literally change the name of the city, as in the Chinese characters are the same as they were before. They just switched the Romanized pronunciation of it to the northern Mandarin sound. The original westernized Peking (or even Pe King) sounds closer to how the same name is pronounced in Southern dialects and also in Cantonese, which is where the British would have first encountered the name.

From what I understand, it is part of a move by the Chinese government to phase out regional dialects and to allow only Mandarin (northern Chinese) as a national language to "enhance natiional unity".

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

YokoTsuno

Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:15 pm

Quoting IADCA (Reply 11):
I think these examples may be a bit different. For Beijing, they didn't literally change the name of the city, as in the Chinese characters are the same as they were before. They just switched the Romanized pronunciation of it to the northern Mandarin sound.

There's more to it. Beijing is the Romanized spelling in Pinying, an official standard (indeed based on Northern Chinese) which came about in the fifties. Use of this standard is nowadays common practice in China and Taiwan.

This is also the reason why you'll find Chinese in other countries with the same Chinese surname but a different Western surname. 李 is for example officially spelled as Li in Pinyin, but also exists as Lee, generally people who emigrated long before Pinyin came about.

andz

Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:33 am

Quoting Birdwatching (Reply 13):
I lived in South Africa for some time in 2006 and 2007, and at that time all the "white" names of cities were being replaced. Also I believe at the same time the name of JNB was changed from Jan Smuts to O.R.Tambo. Most of the Afrikaaners I was with got very worked up about those changes.
I only remember a few, they changed Nelspruit to Mbombela, Pietersburg to Polokwane, and there were plans to change Pretoria to Tshwane.

It has gone nuts here, cities, provinces, street names whatever you can think of have had their names changed. Wasted money that could have been better spent.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

Derico

Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:42 pm

Please, not so fast.

http://www.news.at/_storage/asset/10...king-fucking-ortsname-325141_e.jpg

[Edited 2014-04-06 06:43:25]
My internet was not shut down, the internet has shut me down

smittyone
Topic Author

Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:52 pm

Quoting Derico (Reply 18):
Please, not so fast.

http://www.news.at/_storage/asset/10...e.jpg

Haha, "Slow the F- Down, there's kids playing here" LOL

BarfBag

Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:33 pm

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 3):
I don't know if this is correct of not, but an Indian guy I used to work with said most Indians still call Mumbai, Bombay.

No one who's been a long term resident of the city calls it either Mumbai or Bombay. It has always been Bambai . The local dialect of Hindi is called Bambaiyya Hindi. Mumbai is the Marathi influenced name, and Bombay is the anglicized one. I still use Bombay in English and write Bambai in Hindi. It's no different from writing Munich in English and Munchen in German. Ditto for Delhi, which is written Dilli in Hindi, and I say Chennai when using my weak Tamil, but Madras when speaking in English.

Peking vs Beijing is not a name change but a change in Romanization (from Wade-Giles ?) to Pinyin.

Rara

Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:29 pm

Quoting BarfBag (Reply 20):
Peking vs Beijing is not a name change but a change in Romanization (from Wade-Giles ?) to Pinyin.

No, Wade-Giles would be Pei Ching.

I suspect that there has been something of a pronunciation shift in Northern Mandarin in the last 100 years. What's today a j- or dz- sound must have been a k- sound back then; there are many place names in which this is evident. For instance there's a Kiautschou Street in Berlin named after what's today called Jiaozhou. Undoubtedly they wrote it like they heard it back then, so there must have been something of a shift in the meantime.

Talking about wanting to sound exotic, though: what really grinds my gears is when people decide that Beijing (pronounced with a simple j as in jeep) is not exotic enough and start pronouncing it Beisheeng (with a soft sh as French "genre"). Pay attention to that sometimes, it has become all the rage now, especially on TV. Fact is, that soft sh doesn't even exist in Chinese, it's just an attempt to sound fancy and cosmopolitan.
Samson was a biblical tough guy, but his dad Samsonite was even more of a hard case.

prebennorholm

Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:16 am

I demand that from now on you all name my city correctly Koebenhavn, and not Copenhagen.

If you insist, then please at least translate it correctly - Merchantmen's Harbor.

If you prefer Latin, then Portus Mercatorum.
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs

RobertNL070

Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:29 am

The most Brits I know call the Netherlands Holland and almost all the Dutch I know refer to the UK as England (Engeland in Dutch). In both cases charming but wholly inaccurate.
Born to be wild ...... until about 9 p.m.
Home = RTM, Rotterdam The Hague.

Kiwirob

Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:36 am

Quoting prebennorholm (Reply 22):
Koebenhavn, and not Copenhagen.

I always thought it was København?

The is also Burma, now Myanmar, and it's former capitol Rangoon now Yangon.

In New Zealand there are a whole bunch of numptys wanting to call the country Aotearoa (official name in Maori). Through the late 80's and onwards many place names have been changed.

Asturias

Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:14 am

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 24):
I always thought it was København?

Don't you know it is against the forum rules to use non-English characters? :P
Tonight we fly

Aesma

Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:25 am

PC has a lot to do with it and since in France we trail behind the US by a decade usually regarding what is correct or not, then calling Pékin => Beijing and Bombay => Mumbai is fairly recent, probably since the 2008 Olympics. I doubt French people addressing other French people would be faulted for using the old names, even on social media. Besides these transliterations (guess ?) are clearly aimed at the English language not the French one, so it's really not natural for us.

I understand why the cities were "renamed" or rather "named back", and it's fine and normal for local people and their countrymen, but please let us foreigners use the usual names, It's better to know where a city is rather than knowing its name in several languages !

Quoting RobertNL070 (Reply 23):
The most Brits I know call the Netherlands Holland and almost all the Dutch I know refer to the UK as England (Engeland in Dutch). In both cases charming but wholly inaccurate.

Same in France (even French media), however there are also correct names, in all those languages, for the nations : Pays-Bas instead of Hollande and Grande-Bretagne instead of Angleterre, in the case of French. Correcting someone for that mistake is more meaningful in my opinion, even if in France it won't happen unless you're really not making sense ( "Édimbourg est en Angleterre", for example).
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Kiwirob

Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:57 am

Quoting Asturias (Reply 25):
Don't you know it is against the forum rules to use non-English characters? :P

no, really?

PanHAM

Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:13 am

Quoting Aesma (Reply 26):
Pays-Bas instead of Hollande

In Connection with Hollande, shouldn't it be "Polls-Bas?

Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

PhilBy

Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:21 am

Quoting Aesma (Reply 26):
Grande-Bretagne instead of Angleterre

When you meet anyone Welsh or Scottish they will generally correct you if you call them English.
Otherwise you run into the problem some have differentiating between Breton and Brittanique (or perhaps Bretagne and Grande-Bretagne)

It's the Americans who seem ashamed and deny their origins - Sorry, but if you're from the continents of North or South America, you're an American!

[Edited 2014-04-08 03:23:31]

ltbewr

Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:56 am

Another area of PC and geographical names changes are due to political pressures. Terms insensitive as to 'Christians', sexist or racist names have been removed for geographical features have seen name changes. There has been changes from less acceptable names used by Europeans for Native American as well as for well known slaveholders, racists and Confederate States of America government, military leaders and heroes.
A small sharp mountain peak might be called a 'nipple', there has been a number of renaming to remove the reference to nipple under pressure of self-righteous religious persons as a term connected with a woman's breast.
A mountain near Phoenix, AZ was renamed from Squaw Peak, the term squaw seen as an insensitive term for female Native Americans to the name of a woman soldier killed in an ambush in the early days of the Iraq War in 2003.
Places.
There are many others, too numerous to discuss here, I just gave 2 examples.

na

Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:11 am

[/quote]
In Germany also Holland is the same as Niederlande (Netherlands), and many still use England instead of the correct but less easily spoken Großbritannien for Great Britain. In private conversation its always Holland and England. Also, when taking about the United States of America, no one in Germany uses the correct translation "Vereinigte Staaten", everyone says USA or Amerika.

PhilBy

Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:46 am

Quoting ltbewr (Reply 30):
A small sharp mountain peak might be called a 'nipple',

That I haven't come across but there is this: mamelon: (n) a small rounded hillock (C19: from French: nipple)
And we mustn't forget grease nipples etc.

The term mammiform is still used geographically.

Quoting na (Reply 31):
The most Brits I know call the Netherlands Holland

The problem is that, historically, neither Holland nor the Netherlands quite corresponds to the current state

Holland: a county of the Holy Roman Empire, corresponding to the present-day North and South Holland provinces of the Netherlands.
The Netherlands is also: the kingdom of the Netherlands together with the Flemish-speaking part of Belgium; the Low Countries

danvs

Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:05 pm

I see no problem at all pronouncing city/country names in your own language. Using the local names proves sometimes to be difficult - if not awkward. What would you think of someone talking about his recent trip to Europe like this:

"Last month I visited Europe. I started in Suomi, where I wondered how their citizens could understand such a difficult language. Then I took a flight and arrived in Magyarország. I visited some wonderful and typical baths and some days later I took a train to Österreich, where I attended a nice orchestra in its capital. Finally, looking for some sunshine, I headed south to Hrvatska, where I spent the final days of my holiday. My next plans? Well, I'd love to visit Miṣr and Zhōngguó."

Aesma

Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:59 pm

Quoting PhilBy (Reply 29):
Otherwise you run into the problem some have differentiating between Breton and Brittanique (or perhaps Bretagne and Grande-Bretagne)

We could also use "Royaume-Uni" but we don't. The Welsh, Irish and Scottish might be relieved to learn that consequently all the bad things and fun we make of people up north mention les Anglais and not them !
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

vikkyvik

Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:32 am

A small sharp mountain peak might be called a 'nipple', there has been a number of renaming to remove the reference to nipple under pressure of self-righteous religious persons as a term connected with a woman's breast.

And yet, a certain national park / mountain range in Wyoming is still called......The Grand Tetons.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

PanHAM

Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:42 pm

The best definition I heard is from a Breton singer who lives near Cologne. Breton and Brittanique split up in those who can cook and those who cannot.
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

Derico

Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:26 pm

It's the Americans who seem ashamed and deny their origins - Sorry, but if you're from the continents of North or South America, you're an American!

Actually more of the other way: for a very long time many "Latin Americans" would get really upset that only US citizens would be called "Americans". I have seen rants about it more than once. I still see it today at times even though I never cared about that.

However, that has been changing especially in the last 10-12 years, to the point people will go out of their way to state they are NOT "American" as in the US nationality. For a variety of reasons, the American tag has lost a lot of cache and prestige.
My internet was not shut down, the internet has shut me down

flyingturtle

Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:30 pm

Don't get the fundamentalists started!  We have some mountains that begin with Sex (like Sex Rouge, Sex Noir, Sex Mort), and they all derive from the Latin "saxum", which means "rock". Sex Rouge is even a tourism/skiing destination, but it is called "Glacier 3000" or "Scex Rouge" because of some tourists...

David
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

smittyone
Topic Author

Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:47 pm

Another area of PC and geographical names changes are due to political pressures. Terms insensitive as to 'Christians', sexist or racist names have been removed for geographical features have seen name changes. There has been changes from less acceptable names used by Europeans for Native American as well as for well known slaveholders, racists and Confederate States of America government, military leaders and heroes.
A mountain near Phoenix, AZ was renamed from Squaw Peak, the term squaw seen as an insensitive term for female Native Americans to the name of a woman soldier killed in an ambush in the early days of the Iraq War in 2003.
Places.
There are many others, too numerous to discuss here, I just gave 2 examples.

I wonder how they like Big Bone Lick State Park in Kentucky.

Thunderboltdrgn

Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:10 pm

In Sweden they are still called Peking and Bombay.

Quoting prebennorholm (Reply 22):
I demand that from now on you all name my city
correctly Koebenhavn, and not Copenhagen.

It depends on how København is pronounced in English.

When "translating" spelling of names from one alphabet to another it is called transliteration
which basically is that you translate the spelling of the name according to how you pronounce
the name in the language you translate to and not according to the letter by letter spelling
in the original name.

This is why the spelling of names difference between one country to another.
Like Danmark is Denmark in English, Dänemark in German and Danmark in Swedish.

So apparently Copenhagen is the correct way of writing it in English.

To stay on the subject we have a few non-political correct locality names in Sweden.
Like a small residential in the city where I live, the first half of it's name actually
is the same word as an alternate name of the male genitalia.

Then there is a suburb in Stockholm which have name that is (except for one letter) the
same as a profane word for female genitalia. A third example is a small town, on the
east coast a little bit south from Stockholm, that have the same name
as the word for female underwear.
Like a thunderbolt of lightning the Dragon roars across the sky. Il Drago Ruggente

Tugger

Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:38 pm

Political Correctness And Geographic Names

You want a fun one, try the Persian Gulf! Or is it the Arabian Gulf?   

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

smittyone
Topic Author

Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:34 pm

Quoting tugger (Reply 41):

In my best Darrell Waltrip "Here we go boys!"

Pyrex

Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:08 pm

Quoting Braybuddy (Reply 8):
I suppose we've been bombarded with Mumbai and Beijing by the media for so long now so that it was only a matter of time before they became mainstream.

Does that mean I will need to start ordering my Gin & Tonic with Mumbai Sapphire?

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 14):
in multiligual countries like Belgium I have rather a Problem with Belgian/Germans in the German part of Belgium painting over the French Version Name of their villages.

Belgium is a funny place in that regard in that the names can sometimes be completely different. I remember once being in Lille (France) and being told I needed to take train number X headed to Antwerp and get out at Ghent, but train number X seemed to be headed to Anvers instead. When I asked the very surly conductor to clarify which train I should take he very rudely told me Anvers and Antwerp were the same thing.

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 28):
n Connection with Hollande, shouldn't it be "Polls-Bas?

I see what you did there.  
Quoting flyingturtle (Reply 38):
Sex Mort

Do they advertise among the necrophiliac set?

Quoting tugger (Reply 41):

Islamic Republic of Iranian Gulf?   

I think the worst of the politically correct names is Saudi Arabia, but somehow everyone seems to go along with it. Saud is just the name of the current ruling family / cleptocracy. It would be like calling the United Kingdom "Windsorian Britain".
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

flyingturtle

Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:39 pm

Quoting Pyrex (Reply 43):
Do they advertise among the necrophiliac set?

I don't know. But googling "Sex Mort" brought up lots of 50ies or 60ies pulp sex magazines...

David

RussianJet

Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:11 am

Russia suffers badly with these issues. I still cannot bring myself to prefer St Petersburg to Leningrad. I think Leningrad is a great name, but I make that statement independently of any political considerations - I just prefer the music of the word really, though it's hard to escape the fact that it has a certain nostalgic quality too. See likewise Ekaterinburg, which is to me not as nice as Sverdlovsk. In the case of both Petersburg and Ekaterinburg, both the regions which the cities are the respective capitals of have not changed from the old names to this day - Leningradskaya and Sverdlovskaya oblast' respectively.

There are a great many other Russian cities which have changed their names to pre-Soviet versions. Notable examples are Nizhniy Novgorod (previously Gorki) and Samara (previously Kuybyshev). Some cities have retained very soviet names, though in the majority of cases these are relatively young cities with less of an established history with other names, or at least not prior to significant growth or development of originally very small settlements. Dzerzhinsk is one such city (named after Felix Dzerzhinskii), originally a much smaller place with a different name, but transformed completely and grown under a new, more modern (for the time) name.
✈ Every strike of the hammer is a blow against the enemy. ✈

rwy04lga

Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:03 am

Pilot Mountain in NC looks nothing like a pilot.

http://images.search.yahoo.com/searc...&fr=spigot-nt-gc&va=pilot+mountain
Just accept that some days, you're the pigeon, and other days the statue

PanHAM

Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:16 am

Quoting thunderboltdrgn (Reply 40):
that have the same name
as the word for female underwear.

Bit off Topic, but i like the Swedish word for "hand bag".
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

flyingturtle

Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:38 am

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 47):
Bit off Topic, but i like the Swedish word for "hand bag".

Det er "handväska", ikke sant? 

(Pardon my Norwegian.   )

Another thing is... walking into a Swiss pharmacy and ask "Do you have something against my bruises?". In most German dialects in Switzerland, a bruise is called "e blaui Möse". Neither funny nor bizarre here.

But in Germany, "eine blaue Möse" is "a blue cunt"...

David

shamrock604

Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:56 am

Quoting Aesma (Reply 34):
The Welsh, Irish and Scottish might be relieved to learn that consequently all the bad things and fun we make of people up north mention les Anglais and not them !

You'd think, wouldnt you, but sadly you've lumped me in with a whole other country there - Ireland (or most of it, at least) is not part of the Royaume Uni, and did it's bloody best to get the hell out of it for hundreds of years...   Lol