Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

mirrodie
Topic Author

Who's Into Doctor Who?

Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:27 pm

Recently made a trip to the bookstore and was pleasantly surprised to see a toy TARDIS being sold, along with Daleks and such items.

I first learned of Doctor Who back in 1986 when a friend introduced me to it.

All I seem to remember is Tom Baker and his scarf. I haven't watched the series in years but recently learned that is been running 50 years.

Im thinking of tuning back in and wanted to hear from any of the diehard fans out there. A few questions:

- my wife is huge into "chick flick/drama" sci-fi but never heard of this. She's liked things such as Roswell, V, Heroes, and other random crap shows I cant even think of right now.
Shes currently watching Vampires Diaries and another new alien high school sci fi show.....cant keep up..

Any Doctor Who movies or must sees that I could show her?

-Wasn't there a movie with Tom Baker as DW back in the day?

I remember enjoying the show. Only recall Colin Baker and Tom Baker...
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

northstardc4m

RE: Who's Into Doctor Who?

Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:01 pm

The few actual movies are all pretty bad as a Who intro, and most are actually bad period.

I've been a whovian for a long time, and though it took me a long time to like the new series... but they are more "female friendly" to introduce her to the series... maybe try starting your wife with "Rose" and go from there. I tried that but my wife is just anti-scifi/fantasy  
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

dc9northwest

Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:29 pm

Doctor Who?

Who are you talking about? A doctor? Which doctor? Witch doctor?!?! Doctor... Who?

Braybuddy

Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:06 pm

As a nine-year-old I saw the first episode in grainy black and white in November 1963 and was spellbound. There was nothing like it on TV at the time and the whole idea of a science fiction series exploring adventures in space and time was enthralling. From then up to about ten years later I was hooked, but nothing in the series ever surpassed the first two adventures, An Unearthly Child, and The Daleks. I also loved the theme music: I had never heard electronic music before and it was mesmerising and way ahead of its time. I used to count the hours down to 5.30 every Saturday when it was showing.

That was long before the era of videotapes and repeats, so all I had were memories of those two adventures burned into my mind. Then, sometime in the '80s, the BBC released some of the early adventures on video, and I bought An Unearthly Child. What an eye-opener: I couldn't believe it was so amateurish -- even some of the sets were shaking, and the camerawork, well, I could have done better myself . . . Still, it just goes to show how a wide-eyed child's imagination can be fired-up so easily and how something so simple can leave such a lasting impression. All TV in the 1960s was (by our standards) badly made, but we had no great expectations as it was all so new.

Also, no Doctor will ever live up to the original, William Hartnell -- he was the quintessential eccentric Englishman and absolutely PERFECT for the role, and once he bowed out in 1966 I started to lose interest. However, every Doctor Who fan probably thinks their first Doctor was the best.

I didn't approve when they changed the format from alternating between time and space adventures to being entirely space-based. History was one of my pet hates in school, and that was partly due to the way it was taught, learning names and dates by rote. Doctor Who brought history alive, and I was particularly fascinated by The Reign of Terror, which was set in the French revolution. I learned more about history from the good Doctor than all my books in school.

Funny, a friend of mine sells books, and the publishers offloaded a pile of Doctor Who books commemorating the 50th anniversary on him in the run-up to Christmas. He reckoned hardly anyone would want them, and was about to return most, only to discover that they were selling like hotcakes.

There was a film made around 1966 -- Doctor Who and the Daleks, I think, and I couldn't wait to see it. What a disappointment! I wasn't prepared for the slickness and polish of a film, compared to the familiarity and cosiness of the TV sets. I much-preferred the security of the latter.

I must search out some of the earlier episodes and have a nice trip down memory lane . . . and a good laugh. I haven't seen any episodes for nearly 40 years so I don't know what it's like now, but I would certainly look on the earlier adventures as probably being the most memorable TV series ever -- and even possibly my favourite, apart from comedy.

Dreadnought

Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:28 pm

Quoting Braybuddy (Reply 3):
However, every Doctor Who fan probably thinks their first Doctor was the best.

You're probably right about that. I lived in London in the late 70s and got into Dr. Who with Tom Baker - I think he was great. Never could get into the others. It's a pity many of the old episodes were lost due to the BBC's inexplicable policy of erasing and re-using master tapes.
Democrats haven't been this angry since we took away their slaves.

cargolex

Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:51 pm

Last year I was in a shop called "Forbidden Planet" in my native NYC. It's a relatively old shop, been around since the 1970s/early 1980s though it has moved and changed hands several times. I recall first walking in there in maybe 1986 or 1987 and it was FULL of Doctor Who stuff, posters, comics, vhs tapes, figures, copies of Tom Baker's scarf, you name it. This was probably still around the height of Doctor Who's fandom in the United States, which declined precipitously after the show was cancelled in 1989.

I loved Doctor Who back then - mostly Tom Baker and Jon Pertwee, whose episodes seemed to be in constant reruns on PBS at that time - but in my teenage years I became less interested in things like Doctor Who and more interested in things like the Ramones, whom I saw play just a few blocks away from Forbidden planet many times. The show was off the air, the tapes hard to get, and honestly I had just become interested in other things. I don't think I watched any Doctor Who from some time in the early nineties until last year.

Anyway, walking into Forbidden Planet a few months ago revealed a cornucopia of Doctor Who merchandise, just like the old days. A surprising amount of that merchandise revolves around Tom Baker to this day, even though Baker is now eighty years old and made his last episode in 1981. I was really surprised to see just how many young kids were into Doctor Who. Kids not old enough to remember Britney Spears let alone the eighties.

The series was revived almost a decade ago but honestly I generally don't have a ton of time for TV (and not that much interest in it either), so I've never seen the new one. But with many of my friends talking about the 50th anniversary last year, I recently watched a few of the old ones again and really enjoyed them.

I like most of the classic Doctors, but I think Jon Pertwee, who's doctor was supposedly inspired by Connery's James Bond (and who worked with Ian Fleming in Britain's Naval Intelligence Division during WW2), is probably my favorite. I suppose at some point I'll have to see the new series and see how they stack up - I'm sure it's a different animal entirely compared to low-budget disco-era BBC production values.

[Edited 2014-04-04 12:52:47]

planeguy727

Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:28 pm

Started with the show in 1982 when I moved to Australia. Jon Pertwee was my first doctor.

I drifted away for some time when I moved to the US - it wasn't on all that much.

With the newer series, it's not the same as the original, but I like it enough to keep watching.

I even throw in references while teaching. Most terms none of my students notice.
I want to live in an old and converted 727...

northstardc4m

Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:32 pm

Quoting Cargolex (Reply 5):
even though Baker is now eighty years old and made his last episode in 1981

Well not to spoiler things too too much but he HAS shown up since  
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

andz

Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:45 pm

I first encountered Dr Who living in the UK in the 60s, my parents wouldn't let me watch it because it gave me nightmares.

EXTERMINATE!! EXTERMINATE!!

Fast forward to Matt Smith and, well, no, I can't make the connection, too long of a gap in between.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

MD11Engineer

Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:04 pm

The 14 yeaqr old daughter of my girlfriend's housemate is very deep into Dr.Who. I have to say though that she is highly intelligent, a bit nerdy and quiet.
I occasionally watched an episode of Dr.Who, when I was visiting them in Ireland, but the series is unknown over here in Germany.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

elbandgeek

Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:09 am

Having only previously heard about it in references on the simpsons, the first time I watched it was when my friend introduced me to it my freshman year. It was the 2nd or 3rd Eccleston episode when they watch the sun explode. I didn't really start following it right away until like a year later when I got Netflix and the rest is pretty much history. I still haven't really watched much of the classic series but I've always meant to. I'll get around to it one day.

Maverick623

Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:35 am

Unfortunately, I'm not old enough to remember the original series, although I vaguely remember my dad watching those episodes on PBS.

I saw an episode on BBC America one day (Doomsday), and thought "wow, this is a good show". Got into the new series, then when they released the old episodes onto Netflix, I liked them even more. A little too much romance these days, but that's the world we live in.

I even got my fiancée into it. Let me tell you, that was an interesting day...
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

andz

Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:46 am

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 9):
the series is unknown over here in Germany.

The biggest surprise I ever got was seeing The Benny Hill Show on German TV!
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

cjg225

Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:51 am

I'm into it a little bit. My mom has watched it since it was first shown in the USA back in the mid-late 60s (I believe she said it wasn't shown here until a few years after it began in the UK). She's seen almost every episode ever. Her favorite doctor, like for many, is Tom Baker.

I started watching at the start of Matt Smith's tenure. Really like the way he acts the character. I've seen BBC America back-episodes with David Tennant. I love Martha as a companion.

The writing for Matt Smith's seasons was outstanding. I love dry wit and there was plenty of that.
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...