FighterPilot
Topic Author

Network Attached Storage Devices

Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:41 am

So I'm looking to buy a NAS device, but don't have much experience with any. I'm looking to use it to back up my photos, as well as use it to store movies and music to be played on my LG smart TV. All my computing is done on my Macbook Pro now, and I don't use my desktop computer anymore and am essentially replacing it with the external hard drive. I'm only looking for roughly 1-2TB of space. Does anyone have any knowledge on the WD My Cloud, Ive been reading some poor reviews, but they mainly had to do with the App for backing up smart phones.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Cal   
*Insert Sound Of GE90 Spooling Up Here*

scbriml

RE: Network Attached Storage Devices

Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:08 pm

I'm using these devices at home. I have 2 x 4Tb units. I use them for all my PC storage as well as using them to store my iTunes library. I run a batch xcopy clone from one unit to the other to provide 'double backup'.

Generally, they work well but I'm only using them from Windows 8.1 PC, laptop & tablet. My iTunes library is accessible from my Sonos system and works very well.

Sorry, I have no experience of using them from mac or phone.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

dtw2hyd

Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:49 pm

Try Iomega ix2. It has all the features you would wish for in a home network storage device like, mirroring, cloud access, mobile access, Windows/Mac/Linux support, DLNA and even replication.

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/servers...rk-storage/lenovoemc/ix2/#features

[Edited 2014-04-14 08:51:38]

yakima

Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:10 am

Also have a look at http://www.drobo.com/. Pretty nifty devices.

Kiwirob

Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:55 am

Since you're using a mac buy a time capsule, no fuss just works.

cjg225

Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:22 pm

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 4):
Since you're using a mac buy a time capsule, no fuss just works.

Yes, buy that and drive my stock price up.  

But, seriously, while I would never really suggest buying anything made by Apple, in this case it makes sense to go with a Time Capsule. If you're really only using a Mac and are trying to get automated backup, this is a good move.

For me, I am a dyed-in-the-wool IBM-compatible desktop PC user, so I ponied up for a Seagate NAS drive and an enclosure. I am wary of pre-made external devices. I'd rather get a high-end internal drive and put it in my own enclosure. I have two externals, a 750GB Seagate in an older Nexstar 3 enclosure and a 3TB Seagate NAS drive in a brand new Nexstar enclosure. I am stunned at how... silent... the NAS drive is. I'd never used one before. It's like it's not even there. I was worried it wasn't running the first time I spun it up!  Wow!

I've got to run another backup soon. I've added more documents and some videos since the first weekend I had the drive when I backedup nearly everything. I don't like having the drive constantly out and running where it could get knocked over or banged around, so I do just periodic backups. Don't really see the need for constant-on, automated cloud storage for my purposes.
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...

Boeing717200

Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:54 pm

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 4):

Except when it doesn't:

http://www.cnet.com/news/man-sues-apple-over-time-capsule-data-loss/

We've been using the D-Link product. Works well, has remote access and more importantly RAID. It's a bit expensive, but it's been solid for us. We back up more critical files like pictures to carbonite so that we don't lose the irreplaceable items.
240 years and the top two candidates are named Dumb and Dumber. Stay classy!

teme82

Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:57 am

If you need a NAS that works starlight out of the box with OSX and windows get Synology NAS. You need to get the hdd's separately. But then you have the freedom to get the size of your want. I'm currently sunning DS214+ with two WD red's 2TB. My MBP time machine backs up on it and it streams my music directly to iTunes.

[EDIT] And it can stream video's to dlna devices.

[Edited 2014-04-16 05:17:02]
Flying high and low

Kiwirob

Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:36 pm

Quoting Boeing717200 (Reply 6):
Except when it doesn't:

All drives can fail.

FighterPilot
Topic Author

Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:55 pm

Just want to say thanks for all the great advice everyone.
I went with the WD 2TB My Cloud.
I should have mentioned I already have a 1TB WD My Passport that essentially travels with my laptop that has all my photos on it. I'll be formatted shortly for my MacBook after I completely get rid of my desktop and have the NAS drive set up. I think eventually when I get closer to maxing out the 2TB drive I'll go with something more powerful as well as 2+ drive bays for self backup.

Thanks again,
Cal   
*Insert Sound Of GE90 Spooling Up Here*

Aesma

Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:37 am

Quoting scbriml (Reply 1):
I use them for all my PC storage as well as using them to store my iTunes library. I run a batch xcopy clone from one unit to the other to provide 'double backup'.

If you have your data on both but not elsewhere then it's a simple backup not double.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams