Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

TheCommodore
Topic Author

Queen Elizabeth Celebrates 88th Birthday

Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:24 am

Congratulations Queen Elizabeth on your 88th Birthday!         

She has been on the "throne" for 62 years, only Queen Victoria reigned longer at just over 63 years.... she's catching up !

The Queen has two birthdays - her actual one on April 21 and her official one in June, which is celebrated with the Trooping the Colour parade.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news...ticle.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=11242165
“At first, they'll only dislike what you say, but the more correct you start sounding the more they'll dislike you.”

kaitak

RE: Queen Elizabeth Celebrates 88th Birthday

Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:14 am

And many more years ahead of her, we hope!

She became Queen on 6 Feb 1952, on the death of her father, George VI, and since Victoria was Queen for 63 years, 7 mos and 2 days, Queen Elizabeth II will have exceeded that record on 9 September 2015.

OA260

Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:20 am

A true lady and hopefully many more years to come. Even the Irish are warming to her  

The Queen has shown especially during the stunt in the London Olympics that she is a serious person but also not afraid to have a bit of fun when its appropriate. The Royal Family as a whole are as popular as ever and it is great to see.

na

Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:16 am

And many more years ahead of her, we hope! [/quote]
Oh yes. I wish her Majesty to celebrate her 100th birthday on the throne.

gkirk

Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:36 am

Quoting na (Reply 3):

Having a dump?   
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

MadameConcorde

Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:40 am

Quoting na (Reply 3):
And many more years ahead of her, we hope!

[/quote]

I caught a glimpse of Her Majesty as she was driven across the bridge from where I used to live. In the car she was in the company of Mrs. Bernadette Chirac the then French First Lady, wife of former President Jacques Chirac. There was just the one car, no motorcade.

I got lucky with the picture.

I hope she will live a long life and most of all I hope she will not abdicate in favour of one of those coming after her.

They can wait for their turn.

There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

AyostoLeon

Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:44 am

Poor dear.
If only she had been wise enough to put a bit of money aside for her old age, she could retired by now. Was that Charles who I could here muttering in the corner?  

In all seriousness, the Queen has inspired many people and I wish her well, despite my being in favour of an Australian republic.

TheCommodore, you may be interested to learn that here in Western Australia the Queen gets to have another birthday. It usually coincides with the Perth Royal Show and this year will be celebrated on the 29th of September. The different date is due to the first Monday in June being Foundation Day or Western Australia Day, commemorating the declaration of the Swan River Colony back in June 1829.
The person with no dignity eats his dinner twice

rwy04lga

Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:19 pm

Quoting AyostoLeon (Reply 6):
f only she had been wise enough to put a bit of money aside for her old age

Her Mum lived to be 101. Who knows how old she'll be in her 'real old age'? Already, Charles is the longest-waiting Prince of Wales. He might have to wait quite a bit longer.

God Save the Queen!
Just accept that some days, you're the pigeon, and other days the statue

ArmitageShanks

Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:33 pm

She absolutely loves hats.

SmithAir747

Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:35 pm

I had the privilege of meeting Her Majesty while living in London (2004-2007 as a King's College London student from the USA). It was the last Sunday in October 2006, out in Great Windsor Park (I was on a King's College London chaplaincy retreat at Cumberland Lodge that weekend). Just outside a tiny stone church in the woods there, she and Prince Philip met me after the Sunday morning service there.

I wish Her Majesty a happy birthday and many more!

SmithAir747
I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made... (Psalm 139:14)

ab486

Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:07 pm

I, too, wish Her Majesty a Happy Birthday, with many to come! I do think HM and the Royal Family are a national treasure. Plus, HM and the Royals do give us the occasional extra day off  .

scbriml

Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:26 pm

This is a portrait taken by David Bailey, assisted by my daughter! #prouddad

Queen
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

AF1624

Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:47 pm

Speaking of Charles waiting, there's been talk that he may not become king at all and instead ask William to step up directly? Has that happened and does anyone here think that this is a possibility?
Cheers

romeobravo

Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:08 pm

Quoting AF1624 (Reply 12):
Speaking of Charles waiting, there's been talk that he may not become king at all and instead ask William to step up directly? Has that happened and does anyone here think that this is a possibility?

Seems unlikely tbh.

na

Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:48 pm

Very unlikely as its against the British rule of succession. Only if the Queen still reigns in 10 years time and Charles health wont allow him to succeed. But the Prince of Wales seems to be a healthy man, just like most of his family.

Maverick623

Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:27 pm

Under current succession law, that is not possible, as there is no interregnum. Once Elizabeth dies (or abdicates, although that's highly unlikely), the next in line (currently Charles) automatically and immediately becomes the king.

As far as Charles then abdicating in favor of William... that's not going to happen.
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

TheCommodore
Topic Author

Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:58 pm

Quoting AyostoLeon (Reply 6):
TheCommodore,

Hi AyostoLeon, thanks for that tit bit of info, I didn't know that.

Trust you western Australians to be different ....  

This year, her Birthday is on the 9th June for all states, except, as you say in Western OZ. And the dates are slightly different from year to year.Talk about making life difficult !!

http://publicholidays.com.au/queens-birthday/
“At first, they'll only dislike what you say, but the more correct you start sounding the more they'll dislike you.”

mariner

Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:02 am

There's no reason for it. She has already started to hand over a lot of duties to Charles:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...een-elizabeth-ii-hand-over-3039892

"Queen hands over the reigns to Prince Charles - historic step closer to a new king"

And while the succession isn't a popularity contest, the polls agree:

http://www.express.co.uk/news/royal/...er-Queen-s-roles-according-to-poll

Let One take a break!: Prince Charles should take over Queen's roles, according to poll

For the first time in 10 years opinion has now also swung in favour of the crown passing directly to Charles (53 per cent), while only 31 per cent now want Prince William to inherit the throne straight from his grandmother."

If HM becomes infirm - mentally or physically - then there is mechanism for making Charles the Prince Regent, king in all but name. It's happened before.

But the Windsors loathe the idea of abdication - they think, probably correctly, that it breaks trust with the public - and there was enormous bitterness towards Edward VIII because he abdicated.

mariner

[Edited 2014-04-27 00:14:13]
aeternum nauta

bjcc

Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:15 am

She's not going to abdicate, she will remain Queen until her last breath.
Many years ago, she promised all of the peoples over which she was later to become Sovereign, that she would devote her whole life, be it long or short, to their service.
Like her, or hate her, agree with a Monarchy or not, she has done exactly that and therefore is due to immense respect she commands.

rwy04lga

Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:28 pm

Quoting bjcc (Reply 18):
Many years ago

On her 21st birthday! (21 April 1947)
Just accept that some days, you're the pigeon, and other days the statue

WarRI1

Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:18 am

I wish her well. I do not blame her for staying, now that she almost has the record for longevity. She lives a busy life, maybe she thrives on it. In her younger day, not a bad looker either. No disrespect, just saying.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

TheCommodore
Topic Author

Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:36 am

Quoting WarRI1 (Reply 20):
She lives a busy life, maybe she thrives on it.

Like most people who retire before "their time" seem to die or go down hill soon afterwards. Id hang on for as long a possible!!

Quoting WarRI1 (Reply 20):
In her younger day, not a bad looker either. No disrespect, just saying.

Women had a different way of carrying themselves back then, a particular style. Not to mention, but most of them still had waist too !!!      

WarRI1

Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:56 am

Quoting TheCommodore (Reply 21):
Women had a different way of carrying themselves back then, a particular style. Not to mention, but most of them still had waist too !!!

A long time ago in a Galaxy far away, or so it seems. A different world for sure. One can surely see their waists now, along with???
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.