Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

alberchico
Topic Author

Columnist : Enough With Boston Strong Already

Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:41 am

http://www.creators.com/opinion/marc...dion/boston-strong-321ef2e2bc.html

Was wondering what others think of this article,,,
short summary of every jewish holiday: they tried to kill us ,we won , lets eat !

Stabilator

RE: Columnist : Enough With Boston Strong Already

Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:55 am

If people are pissed about "Boston Strong" a year after the fact, they should be outraged at all the Katrina crap that was around for 5-6+ years after the fact.

IIRC wasnt Boston Strong around before the marathon?
So we beat on against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

EA CO AS

Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:56 am

I live in vigil nation, where we orchestrate the living hell out of every death, where we throw the word "hero" around like a drunk throwing a nickel tip at a bartender.

This is pretty accurate. In 2008, my friend's husband - an Arizona DPS officer - was killed in the line of duty. He was part of an air rescue unit and died rescuing a stranded hiker on a mountainside when he was clipped in the head by the main rotor of the DPS helicopter.
It was horrible, and tragic beyond words. But the day of the funeral - which I was honored to be a part of - I couldn't believe the procession.

It was over two miles in length.

Hundreds of officers from around the state and beyond were part of it, riding in their official motorcycles and driving their official vehicles.

Two dozen fire engines were part of it, including heavy ladder trucks that formed an arch for us to drive under.

Streets and entire freeways were closed as we made our way from the site of the church service to the memorial service afterward.

Now, did he deserve this? Did he not? It's hard to say as that's a value judgment, but even his family made comments about how over-the-top the whole affair was.

Point being, we do use the word "hero" pretty easily these days and in some respects, cheapen it somewhat in the process.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

WarRI1

Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:03 am

It is very cynical, very true, but we do react to such madness with a reaction that is typical for the US. People overdo to deal with the shock, and death and maiming of innocent people such as occurred there. It is a way to heal. I agree with him on some points, but I do not agree with the overall condemnation of the situation. If it makes the people who were affected so deeply feel better, and to help them deal, then I think it is worthwhile. It also gives one a sense of pride in all the people who dealt directly with the tragedy. I think he is trying to rain on the parade of pride that Boston is feeling.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

LittleFokker

Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:10 am

I believe this article is less about the specific phrase "Boston Strong" and more about our culture's over celebration of death. There really isn't anything about last year's bombing that's worth celebrating. DHS failed to detect two immigrant wanna be terrorists who set off a bomb that killed three people during a crowded public event. The resulting manhunt exposed how powerful the police departments' tactics can be while basically shutting down the whole city for three days. Yes, some first responders displayed some usual heroism and some very honorable runners ran to the hospital to give blood immediately after the race, but there were far more negatives to this story than positives.
"All human activities are doomed to failure." - Jean Paul Sartre

Mir

Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:14 am

Now that it's been a year since the bombings, and the marathon has been run successfully again, I would hope that the theme starts to fade away. The city's been back to normal for a while, and it would be a shame if the event came to define the city. One shouldn't live in the past that way. If they want to bring it back once a year on Marathon Weekend as a memorial, that's appropriate. But it would feel very wrong if it were an everyday thing.

Likewise, I don't much care for it when people in NYC pull out the 9-11 commemorative stuff except for during the anniversaries. I don't want that to be what people think about when they think about New York - it's in the past, people move on and build a better future, and that should be what the focus is on.

Quoting Stabilator (Reply 1):
If people are pissed about "Boston Strong" a year after the fact, they should be outraged at all the Katrina crap that was around for 5-6+ years after the fact.

To be fair, the effects of Katrina were far worse, and far longer lasting, than what happened in Boston.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

seb146

Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:27 am

It's not just "Boston Strong" but I think this country has been reduced to a "bumper sticker" mentality. I don't think we can really relate beyond just a few catchy words. It is great the Marathon went off without a hitch this year and everyone had a great time. But, it is not a slogan. It is not just a few words to sum up an event. To me, a simple catch phrase disrespects what happened to the people who were there that day.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

blueflyer

Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:49 am

Boston Strong is nothing more than a money-making marketing slogan. If the people of Boston somehow derive something positive out of this label, it's certainly all well and good for them, but it is by no means an accurate depiction of reality. All "Boston" did was dust off, pick up the pieces and move on the same any city would have done, has done and will do again after Boston, from Anaheim to Zanzibar. If a label is necessary, it ought to be Boston Blinked in relation to the shelter-in-place order.

Quoting LittleFokker (Reply 4):
The resulting manhunt exposed how powerful the police departments' tactics can be

And yet a civilian discovered Dzhokhar Tsarnaev after the shelter-in-place order was lifted; and a Harvard analysis of the subsequent police response is pretty negative (too many cops from too many agencies eagerly self-dispatching and roaming totally unsupervised around a theater without overall command).

Quoting Mir (Reply 5):
Likewise, I don't much care for it when people in NYC pull out the 9-11 commemorative stuff except for during the anniversaries

Even during the anniversaries, as far as I'm concerned. Relatives of the victims can of course grieve however they want, although I suspect most of them have moved on by now, but the official ceremonies, proclamations, etc... are starting to seem exploitative and out-of-place, certainly no longer newsworthy.

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 2):
Point being, we do use the word "hero" pretty easily these days and in some respects, cheapen it somewhat in the process.

I think the news media has conditioned us to expect heroes in every tragedy to a point it has become self-perpetuating. Even car crashes reported on the local news have heroes now. It used to be stopping to render assistance was the right thing to do, now it is heroic. What next? A statue?

[Edited 2014-04-22 23:02:48]

seb146

Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:26 am

Quoting blueflyer (Reply 7):
Boston Strong is nothing more than a money-making marketing slogan.

I can not speak for anyone else, but I see it this way:

I grew up in Oregon. I know live just north of San Francisco. I am training for Bay to Breakers which runs on Sunday, May 18. That makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up. It means nothing to anyone else around here. To me, it is the day St. Helens blew and we lost 57 people.

Conversely, the Bay Series was disrupted by an earthquake. Means nothing to me but I see it really effected people around here.

I stand with Boston but I hate what happened last year has been reduced to a snappy catch phrase.

PHLBOS

Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:29 pm

Quoting Stabilator (Reply 1):
IIRC wasnt Boston Strong around before the marathon?

No, it indeed came about shortly after last year's marathon bombings.

You might be thinking of New Jersey's Stronger than the Storm slogan that's been around post-Sandy.
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

vikkyvik

Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:18 pm

That article is less about "Boston Strong" specifically, and more about American culture in general.

In large part I agree with him, but only in passing, sort of. I don't really concern myself with all the giant memorials and parades and what-have-you. Nor do I really concern myself with those who don't like them.

Given that this was the first running of the Boston Marathon since the bombing, it's not exactly surprising that there would be a build-up to it. Patriots Day / Marathon Monday is and has always been a special day in Massachusetts.

Anyway, as Seb said, events mean different things to different people. No point in wasting time judging everyone about it.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

Maverick623

Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:53 pm

Quoting LittleFokker (Reply 4):
The resulting manhunt exposed how powerful the police departments' tactics can be

And how completely useless and ineffective such a response is.

The only reason the Tamerlans were caught is because they made two mistakes: they weren't quite sure where to go and thus delayed their departure from the Boston area, and they let a hostage run away. Even then, one of them still managed to drive away from a shootout after being shot, and still managed to never be found by the police during the lockdown.

Boston may be strong in recovering from the attack, but the immediate response was anything but.
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

crazyguineapig

Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:45 pm

Reminds me of someone telling me that when the living Tsarnaev brother was caught, that many white drinking teenagers on the streets waving flags and "celebrating" his capture were doing so out of bloodlust and not because they intrinsically felt any emotion for the victims that were killed. I know this may be an unorthodox view, but I think that's a sad and accurate reflection of people's simplistic reactions to the neutralizing and killing of both terrorists and suspected terrorists.

Don't get me wrong, I think the past is very important, and the future could be a lot prettier if people with power reviewed history a little more closely. But I find the notion that this kind of "tribute-culture" is not a real sympathy for the victims, sadly it is overwhelmingly evident that this is an excuse for people who did not feel the pain of losing a friend or family member or getting hurt to get "waivered into the mourning" via echoing slogans or rhetoric such as those associated with Boston.

If anyone in this forum sees my post and happened to have experienced a real pain that day, I have no intention of coming off as sterile or apathetic. I think death is a scary thing, I just wanted to say--at least to me--the mass fervors that happened afterward are also frightening in their subtle ways.

Revelation

Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:39 pm

Quoting seb146 (Reply 8):
I stand with Boston but I hate what happened last year has been reduced to a snappy catch phrase.

Says who? This cynical blogger dweeb Marc Dion? C'mon. It's up to each of us to decide to reduce it to a catch phrase, or not.

Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 11):
The only reason the Tamerlans were caught is because they made two mistakes: they weren't quite sure where to go and thus delayed their departure from the Boston area, and they let a hostage run away

Pretty much every cop will tell you that criminals get caught because they make mistakes. These guys could have made like the ATL Olympic bomber and gone to ground, but eventually they would have made enough mistakes and been caught.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

vikkyvik

Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:47 pm

Quoting crazyguineapig (Reply 12):

If anyone in this forum sees my post and happened to have experienced a real pain that day, I have no intention of coming off as sterile or apathetic. I think death is a scary thing, I just wanted to say--at least to me--the mass fervors that happened afterward are also frightening in their subtle ways.

Thankfully I didn't experience any lasting pain. But I was awfully scared for awhile, as my sister-in-law was running the marathon, and she typically finishes in ~4 hours. She had finished about 10 minutes before this happened.

So it was pretty scary, until I was able to get in touch with family, which took awhile.

Other than that, like I said before, Patriots Day is a special holiday for Massachusetts residents. So it's understandable that people take it a little personally.

Quoting crazyguineapig (Reply 12):
the mass fervors that happened afterward are also frightening in their subtle ways.

Certainly - mass fervor of any kind can be frightening, as they can degenerate into a mob mentality.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

crazyguineapig

Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:23 pm

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 14):

I understand; it is unsettling that the bombing went off at a time when particularly a lot of marathoners were finishing or had just finished and accumulated near the finish line. Admittedly I completely forgot that it was Patriot Day, but like I said the comment about emotion and bloodlust was someone else telling me, and the way he articulated this phenomenon seems rather convincing to me. I know personally a handful of marathoners who ran Boston in the past couple of years and had I known them last year as well as I do now I would likely have been a lot more scared.

Regardless, I think if one were to be honestly scared or traumatized by the prospect of losing a friend or them being hurt, he or she would find little/no satisfaction in celebrating frat-party style over a manhunt. I think that is one of the side-messages of the opinion article posted on this thread. Surely though you are not alone and your fears/reaction were by all means warranted.

vikkyvik

Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:15 pm

Quoting crazyguineapig (Reply 15):
Regardless, I think if one were to be honestly scared or traumatized by the prospect of losing a friend or them being hurt, he or she would find little/no satisfaction in celebrating frat-party style over a manhunt.

And the majority of people were likely not celebrating frat-party style.

Greater Boston has 4+ million people. I doubt anywhere near the majority were out doing keg-stands.

Keep in mind, though, that Boston and immediate surrounding cities/towns have an obscene number of colleges. There are a LOT of students who might have been out celebrating frat-party style.....but still, I doubt it was a majority of students.

zippyjet

Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:03 am

It doesn't matter, whether it bleads, it leads, or if it's tabloid fluff like one of the Kartrashians having a festering boil on their butt cheek but, our media and hype machine repeat, repeat and hype things up. They even do it for popular music. Case in point that guy with the funny looking hat named Ferral with his Happy Song. Part of the dumbding down of our nation.
40 years ago (way before a lot of your time) all they hyped was that Evil Kaneeval guy and his motorcycle making a jump over the Snake River out West. Turned out to be a bunch of steaming Bull. He went over the Canyon and a parachute deployed but for weeks thats all you heard. It was Evil Kaneeval overkill.

[Edited 2014-04-23 17:05:45]
I'm Zippyjet & I approve this message!

rwy04lga

Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:04 am

Now, did he deserve this? Did he not? It's hard to say as that's a value judgment, but even his family made comments about how over-the-top the whole affair was.

I tend to think he did. A LOT of other people apparently thought so, as well. Was this orchestrated? Probably not. That kind of response seems to be spontaneous. If his loss affected that many people, then maybe he DID deserve it!
Just accept that some days, you're the pigeon, and other days the statue

Boeing717200

Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:24 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 5):

To be fair, the effects of Katrina were far worse, and far longer lasting, than what happened in Boston.

While true, I have an incredibly difficult time feeling sympathetic to people for such an extended period of time who live below sea level in hurricane alley I get that New Orleans folks love where they live, but seriously? New Orleans my have rebuilt, but it will happen again. Sometimes maybe you get the bulldozer and move to higher ground and be done with it.
240 years and the top two candidates are named Dumb and Dumber. Stay classy!

seb146

Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:33 am

Quoting Revelation (Reply 13):
Says who? This cynical blogger dweeb Marc Dion?

All I hear when a tragedy like this happens is a snappy catch phrase and a ribbon.

Aaron747

Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:34 am

I live in vigil nation, where we orchestrate the living hell out of every death, where we throw the word "hero" around like a drunk throwing a nickel tip at a bartender.

Perfectly cynical reaction to the media-driven hype that fuels sloganeering and annual ritualization of death memorials. Enough is enough.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

Revelation

Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:24 pm

Quoting rwy04lga (Reply 18):
If his loss affected that many people, then maybe he DID deserve it!

The law enforcement community is tight knit. I think in this case it was not just about the loss of this one first responder, but also about the feeling that goes through the heads of many first responders and their families that they are one bad event away from being the one in the coffin.

Quoting seb146 (Reply 20):
All I hear when a tragedy like this happens is a snappy catch phrase and a ribbon.

I heard a cell phone go off in the cubicle next to mine. My co-worker got up and said, "That was strange. My wife just called and said a bomb just went off, and then the call dropped". She was standing between the two different bombs. He couldn't get a call through for quite a long time. Eventually they were able to get text messages through. Luckily she and the people she was with were not injured.

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 14):
Patriots Day is a special holiday for Massachusetts residents. So it's understandable that people take it a little personally.

It's a very unique day. School is off on Patriots Day and many kids and their families go watch the Marathon in person. Given that this has been the case for many generations, watching the Marathon live is now an ingrained cultural tradition. This is one reason why this incident was so personal to so many people.

Maverick623

Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:59 pm

Quoting zippyjet (Reply 17):
Case in point that guy with the funny looking hat named Ferral with his Happy Song. Part of the dumbding down of our nation.

I find it funny that someone who can't spell a well-known and well-respected producer/artist's name correctly (BTW, it's Pharrell. And yes, that's his real first name) and then makes fun of a hat would talk about the "dumbding" down of a nation.

I normally despise the race card, but it's pretty glaring here.
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

MaverickM11

Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:49 pm

Makes you wonder what city *wouldn't* be "strong". #CapeCodStrong? #RanchoCucamongaStrong? And this past Easter weekend Chicago had 40+ shootings. What about #ChicagoStrong?
I don't take responsibility at all

ER757

Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:22 pm

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 24):
Makes you wonder what city *wouldn't* be "strong". #CapeCodStrong? #RanchoCucamongaStrong? And this past Easter weekend Chicago had 40+ shootings. What about #ChicagoStrong?

There are signs and T-shirts around the site of the recent landslide in Washington State reading "Oso Strong"
Partially copying Boston but also partly a clever play on words (the people of Oso are Oh So Strong)

KBOS

Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:05 pm

Well it is getting a bit worn out but all the proceeds from merchandise with Boston Strong on it goes to the One Fund which goes to the victims and their families. Knowing where the money is going makes it easier to tolorate.
I don't care if the sun don't shine, I do my drinkin in the evening time when I'm in Rhode Island

vikkyvik

Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:33 pm

Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 23):
I find it funny that someone who can't spell a well-known and well-respected producer/artist's name correctly (BTW, it's Pharrell. And yes, that's his real first name) and then makes fun of a hat would talk about the "dumbding" down of a nation.

Totally agreed, except what did that have to do with race?

Makes you wonder what city *wouldn't* be "strong". #CapeCodStrong?

Not a city.  

Revelation

Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:54 pm

And this past Easter weekend Chicago had 40+ shootings. What about #ChicagoStrong

How many public events with tens of thousands of participants and millions watching did they have stopped by terrorist bombings?

PHLBOS

Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:00 pm

Ironic if anything else.

Not to pick on Zippy here but you might want to reread his post again; there's several spelling errors in addition to the ones you listed and I don't think they're necessarily typos.
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

Kiwirob

Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:07 pm

I would say this was way over the top.

But then again look at the ho ha over Pat Tillman, he wasn't a hero just some football player who joined up, he did nothing special and was killed by his own side, what the crap was heroic about that? Then the Pentagon and govt went nuts and awarded him the Silver Star, I'm surprised they didn't go all the way and give him the Medal of Honour!

airportugal310

Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:10 pm

And this past Easter weekend Chicago had 40+ shootings. What about #ChicagoStrong?

What about...Chicago needs to get it's shit together?

Quoting zippyjet (Reply 17):
with his Happy Song.

I happen to like that song, and I consider myself fairly intelligent...try again
“They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.”

Revelation

Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:14 pm

Quoting airportugal310 (Reply 31):
What about...Chicago needs to get it's shit together?

#ChicagoFubar
#ChicagoAFU

zippyjet

Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:04 am

Quoting PHLBOS (Reply 29):
Ironic if anything else.

Not to pick on Zippy here but you might want to reread his post again; there's several spelling errors in addition to the ones you listed and I don't think they're necessarily typos.

I click on spell check and nothing happens. Stuff for technical forum.

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 27):

Totally agreed, except what did that have to do with race?

Race Card? Just to show you I'm fair and square: How about the overkill of Ms. Cyrus with that wrecking ball song? And Katy Perry is migraine headache inducing with her voice and material. (My 2 cents worth) Comparing today's popular artists with the greats from the 50's through 70's is like racing a Corvette against a Yugo. Today's music is overhyped and is helping with the dumbding down of our nation. If corporate America says it's the inn thing the "sheeple" follow.

And how can I forget that Pablum Godawful song from the movie Frozen?  vomit 

[Edited 2014-04-25 18:07:28]

Kiwirob

Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:14 pm

Quoting zippyjet (Reply 33):
Today's music is overhyped and is helping with the dumbding down of our nation. If corporate America says it's the inn thing the "sheeple" follow.

Older people have been saying that since Bill sang rock Around the Clock.

Revelation

Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:52 pm

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 34):
Older people have been saying that since Bill sang rock Around the Clock.

And sadly they would be right, the people of the 50s are largely more intelligent than those of the 10's.

zippyjet

Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:56 pm

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 34):

I'm young at heart! Also my generation lived through a very unique time at least in music history:

Rock Around The Clock then Elvis kick started Rock and Roll and started the demise of Your Hit Parade (Thank God). Within 8 or 9 years came the Beetles and the British Invasion. This does not even take into account R & B. In the early mid 70's we were all wondering what would be the next revolutionary thing. Pundits were saying the Bay City Rollers!    That never happened and music just sort of devolved from that point really crashing from the late 70's onward!

PHLBOS

Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:12 pm

Quoting zippyjet (Reply 33):
I click on spell check and nothing happens. Stuff for technical forum.

IIRC, the Spell Check feature hasn't worked here for years. Plus, when it did work; it doesn't catch a wrong, but perfectly-spelled word (that's true w/every Spell Check feature not just the one here).

When in doubt:

1. Proof-read.

2. Copy-and-paste to a blank Word Dcoument and use the Spell Check feature there.

3. Proof-read the changes/corrections.

3. Copy-and-paste the changes/corrections back to the Reply space.

4. Proof-read again before hitting the Post button.

vikkyvik

Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:16 am

Quoting PHLBOS (Reply 37):

....or, use a browser that has a built-in spell check.