Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

kearnet
Topic Author

Campervan Rentals In NZ

Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:42 am

hello all,

In December im going to NZ with 3 friends for two weeks.

We're planning on renting a camper van and driving around. we've found one camper van hire company that looks promising, but was wondering if anyone who'd actually give us some advice on this matter.

Also if you have any suggestions of what we should see and do as first time visitors to NZ. We'll be staying two weeks, basing ourselves out of Auckland. My friends are ecology minded so i know a few hikes will be done, and a day trip to Hobbiton is already planned. I have a foot disability so my interest will be less exerting and along the lines of museums and site seeing.

We're also thinking about working our way down to the south island.

Any and all advice is appreciated. thank you in advance.
C402 9K | B1900D US | ATR72 AA | DHC8 US | CRJ2 US | E175 UA | E190 B6 | D93 US | M88 US/AA | 732 US | 733 US/WN | 734 US | 73G WN | B738 FJ/QF | B752 US/AA | B762 DL | B77W EK | F28 US | F100 US | A319 US | A320 B6 | A332 FJ | A380 EK

Zkpilot

RE: Campervan Rentals In NZ

Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:45 am

There are several companies that do campervan rental and most are of good standard.
Personally I think the South Island is more scenic but if you are basing in Auckland (my home town) then a few suggestions might be go to the Coromandel (hot water beach, cathedral cove). Check out Waitomo Caves, Waikato. While down that way you could walk the Tongariro Crossing (Central North Island) that's where "Mt Doom -LOTR" is. Hobbiton- Matamata is also in the Waikato. You could drive up north to the Bay of Islands and Cale Reinga back down via 90 mile beach. Other than that maybe a day trip to Waiheke Island. If you like scuba diving then up North you can go to the Poor Knight Islands (top 10 dive sites in the world), there are wrecks up north too (navy frigates, greenpeace rainbow warrior etc.
I hope you have a great time!
64 types. 45 countries. 24 airlines.

777ER
Head Moderator

Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:06 am

If you like wine then the Hawkes Bay and Wairarapa have some excellent wine makers with vineyard tours/lunches. In two weeks you could fully tour the North Island with arrival/departure at AKL. In Wellington (my home town) you could park up the campervan at a CBD campervan parking area and tour Wellington without having to move your vehicle due to how compact we are and the best public transport system in the country. Wellington is home to the LOTR and The Hobbit film studios and there is a museum dedicated to the films near Wellington Airport in Miramar. At WLG, the makers of the LOTR and Hobbit films have got massive Hobbit characters hanging from the ceiling at the airport which is certainly an amazing sight. The characters (eagles, fish, Gollum and the wizard) look very real with life like features. I know friends who are Hobbit crazy who believe the Hobbit things in Wellington are way better then the Hobbit film locations in the Waikato.
Head Forum Moderator
[email protected]
Flown: 1900D,S340,Q300,AT72-5/6,DC3,CR2/7,E145,E70/75/90,A319/20/21,A332/3,A359,A380,F100,B717,B733/4/8/9,B742/4,B752/3,B763,B772/3, B789
With: NZ,SJ,QF,JQ,EK,VA,AA,UA,DL,FL,AC,FJ,SQ,TG,PR

MillwallSean

Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:43 pm

It all depends on how big campervan you want and if you plan to sleep in it. The major campervan companies (for example Britz and Jucy) are great but down the lower end you'll find all sort of dodgy tricks. Usually backpacker to backpacker sales and rentals. Avoid that.

Also basing yourself in Auckland works for half of North island. you can do daytrips leave early return late but why? migt as well do Auckland and its surroundings over 3-4 days and then go drive down south, stopping in Waikato and Rotoroa. North Island Rotorua with its volcanic activity and maoridom is recommendable.
Then driving down to the South island is dull and boring. Its not motorways around NZ. You cant count km and assume how long a stretch of road takes. In fact be aware of the roads in NZ . (The standards are bad, unfortunately foreigners are involved in fatal accidents due to them under estimating the difficulty in driving on NZ roads.)

Id say 10 days o southisland. the scenery is awesome. Queenstown, Milford sounds, Christchurch etc. And you need to catch a ferry between north and south island, plan it and book online for better price.

In Auckland Waitakere ranges for your ecological mates. perhaps not ideal for you though. Northwest Auckland for some great wineries. Mt Eden, domain, One tree hill (5 minute visit).
Coromandel is nice but a bit out of the way.
I still havent seen anything worth stopping in Taupo or Wellington for...
No One Likes Us - We Dont Care.

IADCA

Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:34 pm

Quoting MillwallSean (Reply 3):
Id say 10 days o southisland. the scenery is awesome. Queenstown, Milford sounds, Christchurch etc. And you need to catch a ferry between north and south island, plan it and book online for better price.

Agree, and I'd put in a plug for the OP to visit the Marlborough/Nelson/Abel Tasman area at the northern end of the South Island. Gorgeous, and there's a camper-friendly campground at Totaranui right in the middle of the Abel Tasman National Park and right on the water. From there the hikers can strike off in either direction. If you pack light, it's an easy day hike to one end, and to the other you can do 2 days and then take the water taxi back. OP, if you're planning on doing this in December, you MUST reserve ahead if you want this on your itinerary.

pacificjourney

Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:35 pm

You would struggle to do both Islands justice in 2 weeks, better I think to pick one and do it properly rather than race around and spend the whole time on the road, see that all the time. Not to mention the expense of taking your camper on the ferry.

You will be going past the Tongariro Crossing so please stop by and stay or we can at least transport you www.howardslodge.co.nz

Don't be fooled by those cheap campers, Juicy, etc. They are complete crap and you'll hate it. Either pay the money for a proper one or just get a car and stay in accommodation. Also don't believe what you might read about so-called freedom camping, it isn't a pleasant experience as locals like me will let you know what we thin k of you doing it. We get to talk to a lot of people with campers and they either (A) hate being jammed up with people or (B) realise it isn't actually a cheap option and should have just got a car. I agree with (B).
" Help, help ... I'm being oppressed ... "

WestJet747

Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:56 am

Id say 10 days o southisland. the scenery is awesome. Queenstown, Milford sounds, Christchurch etc

Quoting kearnet (Thread starter):
We're also thinking about working our way down to the south island.

Some buddies and I went to NZ a couple years ago - we didn't rent a camper van, instead we rented an SUV and stayed in hostels the entire time.

MillwallSean hit the nail on the head: South Island is the way to go. We spent our first night in some strange village in the middle of the island where we ran out of gas and got drunk with locals and crashed on their couches (friendliest people on the planet, btw). We then finally got to our destination, Queenstown, and did a week there, which wasn't nearly enough. We rounded out the trip by doing a few days driving around to Milford Sound, Franz Josef Glacier, and a couple other places as we made our way back to Christchurch to catch our flight.

The general consensus from just about everyone we spoke to was that the North Island was great if you're over the age of 45. Otherwise, the fun to be had is on the South Island...and it sure didn't disappoint.

If you want to know specifics about what we did, feel free to shoot me a PM. It was the trip of a lifetime, so I'd be happy to help anybody else have the same experience.

You cant count km and assume how long a stretch of road takes. In fact be aware of the roads in NZ . (The standards are bad, unfortunately foreigners are involved in fatal accidents due to them under estimating the difficulty in driving on NZ roads.)

This is a great observation. As someone who is from a vast country with straight, open roads, I had to work very hard to stay focused while navigating roads in NZ. Some of the roads are downright terrifying...
Flying refined.

rwy04lga

Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:40 am

My ex-wife and I took our 8" Celestron SCT to the South Island to see Halley's Comet in 1986. We camper-vanned all over the island. Arthur's Pass, Franz Josef Glacier, Wanaka, Queenstown, Te Anau, Dunedin, Lake Tekapo (only time not at a campsite). We had what would be a small class C camper and it suited us fine. 9 days was not enough time. It took a LOT of planning and MAILING reservations to the campsites from New York, never really sure that the reservations were received until we showed up at their door. Today, with the internet, it's a breeze.
Just accept that some days, you're the pigeon, and other days the statue

777ER
Head Moderator

Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:01 am

I still havent seen anything worth stopping in Taupo or Wellington for...

It depends on what interests/attracts you!

Taupo has amazing fly fishing with some nice fat trout, Lake Taupo offers excellent water sports during the summer months, Bungy jumping into the Waikato river is certainly a thrill. At the Taupo Bungy there is also a swing rope over the river which is also an incredible thrill. Scenic float plane rides and sky diving. If your interested in adventure then Taupo offers that, if your interested in lazy days then Taupo also offers it.

Wellington has easy access to some amazing/best wineries in the country, excellent ice cream/cheese/chocolate sales, history, excellent scenic walks/rides, LOTR/Hobbit works, politics, fishing, film industry tours.

Each region offers different attractions and each region offers different things age wise. Both Taupo and Wellington offer something for every age range
Head Forum Moderator
[email protected]
Flown: 1900D,S340,Q300,AT72-5/6,DC3,CR2/7,E145,E70/75/90,A319/20/21,A332/3,A359,A380,F100,B717,B733/4/8/9,B742/4,B752/3,B763,B772/3, B789
With: NZ,SJ,QF,JQ,EK,VA,AA,UA,DL,FL,AC,FJ,SQ,TG,PR

Kiwirob

Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:42 am

You cant count km and assume how long a stretch of road takes. In fact be aware of the roads in NZ . (The standards are bad, unfortunately foreigners are involved in fatal accidents due to them under estimating the difficulty in driving on NZ roads.)

Not really true, you can count km and work out the time, 100km is 60 minutes give or take 5. Most foreigners get killed because they are dumb and drive on the wrong side of the road. Try drving in Norway and see how you like that, NZ is a piece of cake compared to that.

As for camper van rentals, there are only 2 companies I would use, forget the rest.

http://www.maui.co.nz/

http://www.britz.com/

You don't have enough time to do both Islands, there's more than enough to do in the North Island to fill out 2 weeks, I'd head North to Paihia, Russell, Cape Reinga. Then South to Rotorua, Taupo (plenty to do here) Waitomo, Bay of Plenty, Napier, then back to Auckland for a couple of days and home.

kiwiandrew

Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:56 am

If you do both islands consider starting in the South and heading North....there can be great relocation deals on campervans if you go that way as the majority of travellers go North to South resulting in an imbalance of supply/demand.