Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

JoePatroni707
Topic Author

Anyone Have A VW GTI

Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:12 pm

My lease ends in just 4 months on my Acura. I am considering replacing with with a VW GTI Drivers Edition (former Autobahn). What is your opinion and luck with the GTI. I think its pretty sporty to drive, and good performance. I can get a pretty good lease on a 2014.

Kiwirob

RE: Anyone Have A VW GTI

Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:58 pm

I don't have one but I have driven it's close relative the GTD, which is the GTi with a diesel engine, great car, I'd take it over a BMW 320, or similar entry level executive car.

It the Drivers Edition like the Performance Pack they sell here in Europe, it's the GTi but with an additional 20 hp, mechanical LSD and bigger brakes?

JoePatroni707
Topic Author

Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:25 pm

In the USA the drivers edition adds, sunroof, navigation, xenons, and leather seats. No additional HP. I would wait for the 2015, but the base price after "market adjustment markup" will be north of $35k.

ANITIX87

Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:02 pm

Don't wait for a 2015. They will be the first GTIs built in Mexico. I'd stay away from the first model year of a new car built in a brand new plant.

Having said that, my roommate has a 2012 GLI (Jetta with the GLI engine) and I test-drove the GTI before buying my current car. For the money, you won't find a better interior. It's comfortable, well-built, and great to drive. It has pretty good performance, but if spirited driving (at the sacrifice of some comfort) is your aim, then look at the Ford Focus ST or the Mazdaspeed3 (the latter is tough to find as it's no longer in production). If you want something a but more fun and can sacrifice some size, the Fiat 500 Abarth or the Fiesta ST are amazing options.

Any VW will come with an inherent risk of gremlins. My roommate has had no problems with his GLI whatsoever, but there are horror stories galore about VW maintenance and reliability. Your mileage may vary, so don't let it scare you away, especially if you take good care of your cars (or if you're leasing and can take time for dealership visits, so that the warranty will offer peace of mind).

Ultimately, I decided against the GTI for only one reason: it didn't put a big enough smile on my face when driving like a hooligan. I do sometimes regret giving up the creature comforts and the interior quality when I'm in my roommate's GLI, however, but then I go and drive my car hard and I couldn't care less about the goofy red polka dots or the tiny navigation screen or the counter-intuitive audio controls in my car.

TIS
www.stellaryear.com: Canon EOS 50D, Canon EOS 5DMkII, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 24-70 2.8L II, Canon 100mm 2.8L, Canon 100-4

lewis

Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:31 pm

I have been leasing VWs in the US for 4 years now and I have been very disappointed by the quality control of the factories south of the border. I do like the performance of the cars (currently leasing the GLI) but the cars just don't feel as well built or sturdy than their equivalents in Europe. My car has been in the shop four times to deal with rattles all around the cabin. I think its just a matter of luck but keep that in mind!

Kiwirob

Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:38 pm

Quoting ANITIX87 (Reply 3):
Any VW will come with an inherent risk of gremlins.

I've never had any problems with any of the VW's that we've owned.

but there are horror stories galore about VW maintenance and reliability.

There are horror stories about all cars, but for some reason people, mostly Americans as it doesn't appear to be an issue in Europe, pick on VW, which aren't any worse than any other car in my opinion.

L0VE2FLY

Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:01 pm

I drove one not too long ago, excellent performance and handling. As a huge Acura fan why don't you just lease another Acura?!   

Molykote

Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:04 pm

A perfect storm of international business travel, unexpected structural rust on a 10 year old BMW, and some looming maintenance (coming due on the car I wasn't going to keep) found me looking for a car in the ~$30k bracket. After I couldn't find a CPO 3 series in my preferred spec, I was eager to look at a GTI. Based on the good press I assumed that it would be my default choice for a ~$25-35k replacement vehicle.

To my surprise I wasn't very impressed. I like the hatch configuration for practicality and VW/Audi interiors are among the best for fit and finish. The GTI was sure footed, had a good torque band, and was stable/competent in 7/10ths driving - I just didn't have much fun driving it (conventional manual).

In some ways the GTI just seemed too "grown up" for me (a 31 year old professional with generally conservative tastes) to enjoy it. My opinion aside, most people who own one seem to love it. I doubt you'd regret picking one up.
Speedtape - The aspirin of aviation!

dtw2hyd

Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:09 pm

If you want "strictly" to lease for less than three years, go ahead. If you are planning to buy you should look at Audi A3.

As others posted some VWs are trouble makers. Coming from a Acura world, VW service will be a sticker shock. For a luxury brand, Acura service charges are trivial compared to VW. You might as well buy Audi, service cost will be same as VW.
All posts are just opinions.

JoePatroni707
Topic Author

Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:19 am

Quoting L0VE2FLY (Reply 6):

Acura was with out a doubt the worst car I have ever owned. Totally lacking in stability, and handling. I would almost call the car unsafe to drive. I have had several BMWs in the past but they are out of my reach now financially, but I want German engineering.

Pyrex

Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:28 am

Thanks for creating this thread. I do not have anything to add on the Golf GTI but have been thinking of buying one since last week - I spent some time on the NY auto show and the cars I liked the most were the new GTI, the VW Golf Station Wagon concept and the new Honda Fit. Only problem is my first car was a first generation Honda Fit (well, the Jazz, same thing) and as much as I do love that car and the ones that followed it I feel I would want an upgrade. As for the station wagon, the current model is going out and the new one will only be available in the U.S. in 2015.

I really wanted to hate the GTI as it is the safe / predictable choice (which I normally shy away from) but that damn thing still is the best hatch available for sale in the U.S. I was really rooting for the new Mazda 3, of which I had heard great things about, but even though it is bigger than the previous generation it is still too cramped in the back (the high window-line does not help, either) and the boot is too small.

can sacrifice some size, the Fiat 500 Abarth

"Some" size? I am not a tall guy (1m75) and I did not fit in the back. The Fiat 500 is effectively a two-seater unless you have small kids. Might as well get a Porsche 911 
Quoting DTW2HYD (Reply 8):

If you want "strictly" to lease for less than three years, go ahead. If you are planning to buy you should look at Audi A3.

Are they still selling the A3 hatch in the U.S., though? I thought they were moving to all sedans,
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

Mir

Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:44 am

Quoting Pyrex (Reply 10):
Are they still selling the A3 hatch in the U.S., though? I thought they were moving to all sedans,

They had a wagon version at the NY Auto Show, so I presume so.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

L0VE2FLY

Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:44 am

Quoting joepatroni707 (Reply 9):
Acura was with out a doubt the worst car I have ever owned. Totally lacking in stability, and handling. I would almost call the car unsafe to drive.

I know, I was just being sarcastic.   I take it you're not a big fan of Honda then, since you're really unimpressed with their best offering.

Kuja

Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:14 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 11):

Quoting Pyrex (Reply 10):

They had a wagon version at the NY Auto Show, so I presume so.

-Mir

As far as I am aware, the hatch (Sportback) is now only available with the diesel engine in the US.

[Edited 2014-04-26 05:15:30]

Charles79

Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:58 am

I have a 2009 (Mk V) 5 door GTI with the manual transmission. After nearly 5 1/2 years and over 85K miles, it's still an extremely solid, reliable, practical, and fun car. No issues with the car, great on the snow, and the perfect size for the city yet big enough inside for the odd IKEA run. We have driven it to South Florida from DC three times in the past 4 years (2k miles round trip) and it has proven to be a great long distance car as well, very comfortable seats and good on the gas (even when averaging 80 mph).

As a sidenote, my brother bought a certified pre-owned Mk VI GTI with the DSG transmission over a year ago and is very pleased with the car. I highly recommend the GTI, it's a great car and a phenomenal value.

mika

Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:57 am

I've owned a MKV R32 which was a fabulous car in every respect (fantastic engine!), apart from one thing: the DSG gearbox. I had mine replaced under warranty due to a dodgy mechatronics unit which made the car shift real hard in certain conditions. Drove about 2500 miles and then the gearbox went again, same issue with hard/noisy shifts. I got rid of the car after that.

The issues that VAG has had with the DSG boxes are well documented around the internet, the earlier ones have problems with the mechatronics unit and i've heard of more recent models having other type of problems (jumping out of gear, gear/drive not engaging etc). I can't speak for the quality of the DSG boxes of 2014-15 MY but i personally will never touch a VW, Seat, or Skoda with a DSG box again. Manual all the way if i'd decide to get any one of those cars.

I'd get a manual GTI and probably be very pleased with it, it's a worthwhile compromise between a R32/Golf-R and the base models.