Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jeffh747
Topic Author

What Music Do You Listen To On A Flight?

Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:12 am

Random topic: when you're flying, what are some of your favorite tunes you enjoy when you're sitting above the clouds. Doesn't matter whether it's aviation related music or not! I'm just curious.

I'll get it started, as soon as we're above the clouds, I like to plug in and listen to deep, progressive trance. It has a very calming effect, especially at night. A good example os this song called 'Man on the Run' by Dash Berlin.

What do you guys enjoy listening when flying?
ATR-72-600, A318 A319 A320 A320neo A321 A321neo A332 A333 B717 B727 B734 B73G B738 B739 B752 B762 B763 B772 B788 CRJ2 DHC6 DHC8-300 E145 E190 MD82 MD83 MD90 SF340B

ArmitageShanks

RE: What Music Do You Listen To On A Flight?

Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:17 am

Nothing specific. Its just generally what's on my playlist at the moment.

I usually download a bunch of music before a big trip and listen to that. If I've not heard a particular song for a while it instantly takes me back to that trip, the flights, experiences, etc.

deltaSEAalsaka

Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:20 am

I just put my phone on shuffle and let it play. It is generally a lot of Hip-Hop/Rap or dub-step.
The only time I listen to a certain song is when the flight I am on is on finals for my home airport (SEA), and that song is "Hello Seattle" by Owl City.
There is no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people asking questions.

bunumuring

Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:04 am

Easy.
My favourite bands...
INXS
Deacon Blue
Boom Crash Opera
Oasis
U2

One day I will have to start a thread about the most embarrassing thing that has happened to you on a plane... For me, it involves the music I was listening too...

Cheers all,

Bunumuring.
I just wanna live while I'm alive!

seb146

Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:51 am

I keep an eye out the window the whole time. I can not hear much when I am at altitude anyway.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

L0VE2FLY

Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:20 am

When flying I prefer something by: GE, P&W, RR, CFM or V2500!  

Quoting Bunumuring (Reply 3):
One day I will have to start a thread about the most embarrassing thing that has happened to you on a plane...

Why don't you start it now before someone beats you to it?!

Quoting seb146 (Reply 4):
I keep an eye out the window the whole time.

Ditto, on a scenic flight, I couldn't care less about IFE.

Cadet985

Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:44 am

I'll just put my iPhone on shuffle. I have close to 1500 songs. Somehow, EVERY time I've been on a flight since I had my first iPod, "Leaving on a Jet Plane" has been one of the first songs to play. A couple times coming back from Israel, I've completely randomly gotten "Born in the USA." Go figure. I had a friend work out the math. The odds of those songs to play at those points are exponential.

Quoting L0VE2FLY (Reply 5):
Ditto, on a scenic flight, I couldn't care less about IFE.

I love IFE, but can't keep my head looking out the window the whole time - especially when told to lower the shade. In fact on my last trip to Israel, there were so many good movies on the system that I stayed up the entire flight watching movies. Sometimes I'll look out the window. I've seen the Northern Lights (the picture didn't come out), a thunderstorm from above - that was REALLY cool, Mount Olympus. One one domestic flight, I saw a few GA airports that I've actually flown out of. You have to admit though, especially at night or over the ocean, the scenery does get boring.

Marc

zippyjet

Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:08 am

Quoting Bunumuring (Reply 3):

I'll make it easy; check out my Spottify page/playlist. There's enough stuff for a coast to coast flight!

http://open.spotify.com/user/1269524...81/playlist/6Nten5gzEwlTSlE8IuAP8p
I'm Zippyjet & I approve this message!

bunumuring

Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:15 am

Hi all,
I keep my eyes glued to the view outside at all times during the flight... And the moving map display ... So my iPhone or my iPod provide the soundscape to the viewing. Yes, I'm the one tapping the hand rest or beating a beat with my feet on The floor... Or the one who totally embarrasses himself to the bemusement of every passenger on the flight by... Whoops! That'll be another thread actually...
I have about 1500 songs on my iPod, considerably less on my iPhone, and certainly enough between them for even the longest flights I've done (hello LHR from SYD!)
I'm not a fan of 'shuffle' but I do switch it on sometimes...
Happy listening!
Bunumuring.

PITingres

Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:32 pm

Quoting L0VE2FLY (Reply 5):
When flying I prefer something by: GE, P&W, RR, CFM or V2500!

Good answer!

For really long flights I go with whatever the ipod shuffle wants to play. Glass Hammer and string quartets, mostly (and yes, I suppose that is a bit of an odd combination).
Fly, you fools! Fly!

WestJet747

Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:38 pm

Quoting jeffh747 (Thread starter):
I like to plug in and listen to deep, progressive trance

When I'm reading I'll put on an ASOT podcast or listen to some deep house. Otherwise, I'm listening to heavier stuff like electro, glitch hop, melodic dubstep, etc.

I've also recently taken to producing my own music. I'm heading to Scotland for a week in May, so I'll see if I can finish a track entirely in the air between the 4 flights I'm taking.  
Flying refined.

JAGflyer

Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:06 pm

I personally enjoy lounge/trip-hop type music on flights. It just seems to fit the mood while flying so perfectly. I find flights are one of the few times I can truly relax because there is no link to the outside world while cruising at 35,000ft. My favourite artist in that genre has to be Thievery Corporation. Their song "Mandala" always makes me feel great while flying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8mUvqYFKwI

Interesting note, the first time I heard this band was back in about 2007 when I was playing around with an iPod at the Apple Store. The song "Liberation Front" was playing on the iPod and I was instantly hooked!
If you flew today, thank a Flight Dispatcher!

rwy04lga

Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:15 pm

I listen to the engines...that's ''music'' to MY ears. Especially those GE90's.   
Just accept that some days, you're the pigeon, and other days the statue

photopilot

Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:09 am

I load up with some Progressive Jazz, Jazz Fusion, Latin Jazz and Cool Jazz.
My only criteria is that they must be 100% instrumental with no vocals.

BNE

Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:35 am

Before a trip I usually download 1 to 5 new songs depending on the length of trip and when I last purchased music from Itunes.

At the start of the flight, I usually then listen to the recently added songs, currently 5 in that last, usually songs in the top 100.

So I will listen to them, then go and listen to the last 10-15 songs I have purchased over the last 12 months, and then I will check what is on the plane IFE and might pick an album or 2 to listen to, the flight today; I was listening to an Australian band called Hunters & Collectors which was on Qantas IFE and I try and watch a movie if the flight is over 3 hours, which they generally are for west coast Perth to Australian East Coast.

Favourite song at the moment, American Authors, "Best Day Of My Life" ask me again in 3 months and it will be different.
Why fly non stop when you can connect

bunumuring

Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:26 pm

Quoting BNE (Reply 14):
I was listening to an Australian band called Hunters & Collectors which was on Qantas IFE and I try and watch a movie

'Throw Your Arms Around Me' by Hunters and Collectors is one of my favourite songs! It's also been covered by bands as diverse as Pearl Jam/Eddie Vedder, Crowded House and Sinead O'Connor.

I also check out what's available on IFE...

Cheers,
Bunumuring.

andz

Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:16 pm

If I am flying Egyptair I just shuffle through whatever is on my iPad, otherwise on any other international flights I watch the IFE.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...