Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

OA260
Topic Author

Queen Elizabeth, Queen Mary 2 And Queen Victoria

Tue May 06, 2014 10:45 pm

Some great pictures taken in Lisbon for the QM2 celebrations 10th Anniversary .

Queen Elizabeth, Queen Mary 2 and Queen Victoria dock in Lisbon

Two, as the old saying goes, is company – and three is usually considered a crowd.
But then, when the crowd in question is formed by a trio of glamourous cruise ships lined up at the same dock, few people are likely to complain about the relative lack of space.The threesome last met up in June 2012, when they turned up en masse in Southampton to mark the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee with a display of unity.
They also managed to synchronise diaries in January 2011, appearing together in front of the Statue of Liberty – after Queen Victoria and Queen Elizabeth had sailed across the Atlantic in tandem to meet their sibling alongside New York’s most fabled landmark.Although close relations, the ships have distinct differences.Queen Mary 2 is the matriarch of the group – and the biggest.Launched in March 2003, she is capable of holding up to 2620 passengers, and is the largest vessel ever to have been built for Cunard.She is also four years older than her nearest relative Queen Victoria, who was completed in January 2007, and is smaller than the QM2, with a capacity of 2014 people.The baby of the bunch is Queen Elizabeth.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/ar...en-Elizabeth-dock-Lisbon-time.html

DocLightning

RE: Queen Elizabeth, Queen Mary 2 And Queen Victoria

Tue May 06, 2014 11:19 pm

A Transatlantic passage aboard RMS QM2 is on my bucket list, (since SS Normandie is sadly unavailable for booking).
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Pyrex

Tue May 06, 2014 11:31 pm

Some beautiful pictures in that article. You haven't seen so many queens together in Lisbon since we thankfully got rid of our monarchy in 1910.
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

DocLightning

Tue May 06, 2014 11:37 pm

Quoting Pyrex (Reply 2):
Some beautiful pictures in that article. You haven't seen so many queens together in Lisbon since we thankfully got rid of our monarchy in 1910.

You haven't been near any of the gay bars lately, then, I take it?     
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

WarRI1

Wed May 07, 2014 1:35 am

I agree, not something you see very often. I would have enjoyed being there. Your pictures are a good substitute. Good shots.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

OA260
Topic Author

Wed May 07, 2014 10:15 am

There are some more iconic images here :

https://www.facebook.com/JMPCPhoto

comorin

Wed May 07, 2014 2:00 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 1):

Bucket List, eh? May I would suggest the summer months if you plan to be on the bow pulpit, with arms outstretched.

Kiwirob

Wed May 07, 2014 7:07 pm

Quoting Pyrex (Reply 2):

Having a dictator worked out well for you?

DocLightning

Wed May 07, 2014 8:03 pm

Quoting comorin (Reply 6):
Bucket List, eh? May I would suggest the summer months if you plan to be on the bow pulpit, with arms outstretched.

Yeah, I wouldn't be caught dead doing that stunt. It was cheesy enough on the silver screen.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

Kiwirob

Wed May 07, 2014 9:08 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 8):

Yeah, I wouldn't be caught dead doing that stunt. It was cheesy enough on the silver screen.

Since you can't get anywhere near the bow of a cruiseship, you couldn't do it if you wanted to.

Pyrex

Thu May 08, 2014 12:57 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 3):
You haven't been near any of the gay bars lately, then, I take it?     

As I said, we are a Republic. Haven't had drag-queens since 1910, only drag-first ladies now. Ban-squad: please note this is in no way a comment on the physical build of Michelle Obama or the wardrobe of Hillary Clinton.    

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 7):
Having a dictator worked out well for you?

Actually, a dictator is what we had until 1910. A monarchy by any other name, and all. After that we had 16 years of democracy where the access to education grew exponentially, but unfortunately so did the public debt and political instability, so we had a technocratic dictatorship come in and solve that. They did end up staying way too long but on the plus side they did manage to steer us clear of World War II. As the ships sailed onto Lisbon harbor they went past a landmark statue built to celebrate precisely that - the only statue anywhere in the world that I know of built not to celebrate / remember a war but the avoidance of war.

But I am sure you weren't really looking for an answer...

Kiwirob

Thu May 08, 2014 6:34 am

Quoting Pyrex (Reply 10):
But I am sure you weren't really looking for an answer...

Looking at histroy through rose tinted glasses aye.

If you hadn't murdered the king I'm sure you would have ended up as a constitutional monarchy like all the other constitutional monarchy's in Europe.

Pyrex

Thu May 08, 2014 11:48 am

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 11):
If you hadn't murdered the king I'm sure you would have ended up as a constitutional monarchy like all the other constitutional monarchy's in Europe.

Spain did not have any kings murdered* and they still went through dictatorship as well before landing where they are today, but I am glad you have a crystal ball that allows you to see what would have happened in the past under alternative scenarios.

*Actually, the current Spanish king did kill his own brother, but I guess when you are a royal that is just a family tradition. Royal families in general have nothing against regicide, they just don't like it when it's other people doing it,

AyostoLeon

Thu May 08, 2014 1:05 pm

The only time that I have ever seen any of the three was when QM2 was in Lisbon a few years ago. Keeping things "monarchic" I was a passenger on board the former Royal Princess. Mind you we were parked on opposite sides of the Tagus.

At the other end of the shipping scale, as we sailed up river and under the Ponte 25 de Abril we were accompanied by a submarine sporting the flag of Norway. Despite the flag, some passengers still managed to ask, "Is it Limey?"

[Edited 2014-05-08 06:06:37]
The person with no dignity eats his dinner twice

Kiwirob

Thu May 08, 2014 1:30 pm

Quoting Pyrex (Reply 12):
Spain did not have any kings murdered

What's Spain got to do with Portugal? Besides they ended up as a constitutional monarchy.

Quoting Pyrex (Reply 12):
Actually, the current Spanish king did kill his own brother

Alleged to have, and it would appear it was an accident not murder.

Quoting AyostoLeon (Reply 13):
At the other end of the shipping scale, as we sailed up river and under the Ponte 25 de Abril we were accompanied by a submarine sporting the flag of Norway. Despite the flag, some passengers still managed to ask, "Is it Limey?"

I could understand the confusion, from a distance the Norwegian flag if limp could look like the Union Jack, roughly the same colours, not that RN would fly the Union Jack it would be the White Ensign, but most people wouldn't know that.

neutrino

Thu May 08, 2014 2:40 pm

deleted. posted in wrong thread.

[Edited 2014-05-08 07:42:17]
Potestatem obscuri lateris nescitis

OA260
Topic Author

Mon May 19, 2014 11:51 pm

I was lucky to see the celebrations last week in Southampton as I was sailing on Queen Elizabeth. The fireworks were amazing.

Cunard Queen Elizabeth+New British Airways Airbus‏ (by OA260 May 19 2014 in Trip Reports)

DocLightning

Tue May 20, 2014 4:08 am

Yanno, the more I look at QM2 the more I fall in love with her. She has such graceful lines, sleek and modern...and yet she looks like the natural evolution of the classic ocean liner. Stately, with a teardrop-shaped superstructure (blunt at the front, tapered at the rear), a rounded stern, and a high freeboard.

I wouldn't travel aboard the other two Cunard ships. They're nice, I'm sure, but they're cruise ships and I'd rather take a different cruise (maybe one of RCCL's Oaisis class). But Queen Mary 2 is a unique beast. You take her to be aboard her. And she is most definitely on my bucket list. I can't wait until the day I ride her decks through a rough North Atlantic crossing.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

na

Tue May 20, 2014 10:17 am

Fantastic!

Quoting AyostoLeon (Reply 13):
The only time that I have ever seen any of the three was when QM2 was in Lisbon a few years ago.

Maybe I was on board then! I visited Lisbon with QM2 in 2012, and with QE2 in 2008.

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 17):
Yanno, the more I look at QM2 the more I fall in love with her. She has such graceful lines, sleek and modern...and yet she looks like the natural evolution of the classic ocean liner. Stately, with a teardrop-shaped superstructure (blunt at the front, tapered at the rear), a rounded stern, and a high freeboard.

Absolutely. Stephen Payne, the designer, did a fantastic job. He was an ocean liner nut since childhood, and one should be very grateful to Cunard´s owner Carnival that they chose him to design this ship.
The tapered rear decks are a very pleasant plus over ordinary cruise ships, one cant praise it enough.
I hope to do a Transatlantic with QM2 next year, it doesnt work out in 2014 as I had planned.

OA260
Topic Author

Tue May 20, 2014 11:31 am

For sure she is something special. When I was taking the picture above I just stood for ages looking. Amazing.

I wouldn't travel aboard the other two Cunard ships. They're nice, I'm sure, but they're cruise ships and I'd rather take a different cruise (maybe one of RCCL's Oaisis class).

I wanted to sail on them just to see. Weirdly enough is that once inside the interior is quite similar in some ways so you feel very different than on the run of the mill cruise ships. As for Oasis its coming to the UK in Sept/Oct so will have the chance to attend some industry events but Im not overly excited as I think it will be a case of ''not for me''. Im sure I will enjoy looking around but as for my own vacation not something I would relish. I feel more at home in the Cunard brand and Azamara,Princess. One ship I will always love is the Celebrity Century. I wish they would bring that back to the Fjords cruise. I would happily do that one again.

ALexeu

Tue May 20, 2014 2:34 pm

I would take RMS St.Helena any time over these 3!

OA260
Topic Author

Tue May 20, 2014 5:15 pm

An interesting cruise if not for the ship. The itinerary would be worth the trip ! New York to Shanghai.

QUANTUM GLOBAL ODYSSEY - TO BRING QUANTUM CLASS CRUISING TO WORLD TOP COSMOPOLITAN CITIES!

A 53 night epic journey, departing 2 May 2015 from New York to its new home in Shanghai, China!

Quantum of the Seas℠ will take part in a Never-Before-Seen-at-Sea experience. With guests sailing the entire Quantum Global Odyssey to the other side of the globe, being part of history as the arrival of Quantum of the Seas℠ is celebrated at some of the world’s most cosmopolitan cities along the way.

The Quantum Global Odyssey will open for sail on the 20th May 2014 2pm for Crown & Anchor society loyalty members and on 22nd May 2014 for general public.

DocLightning

Tue May 20, 2014 8:38 pm

Quoting na (Reply 18):
Absolutely. Stephen Payne, the designer, did a fantastic job. He was an ocean liner nut since childhood, and one should be very grateful to Cunard´s owner Carnival that they chose him to design this ship.

It's a pity that there won't be a Normandie 2. I bet he'd have a great time designing such a ship.

Interestingly, one of the old liners is still in service, although she's so old and has been refit so many times it's debatable that she's the same ship she was when she was launched, but she is MS Stockholm, now named M/V Azores. This ship is (in)famous for having collided with SS Andrea Doria in 1956. However, leaving such heavily-rebuilt relics aside, I am not aware of any true ocean liners other than QM2 currently in service.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

MadameConcorde

Mon May 26, 2014 1:05 pm

This is quite cute!

Queen Elizabeth and Queen Victoria play 'Happy Birthday' to Queen Mary 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnfMv9ti9Sw&sns=fb

Queen Elizabeth and Queen Victoria play 'Happy Birthday' in ships whistles (foghorns) to Queen Mary 2 as she arrives in Southampton to celebrate her 10th birthday.

Queen Mary 2 born in France and proudly built by Chantiers de l'Atlantique in Saint Nazaire

There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

na

Mon May 26, 2014 6:16 pm

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 23):

Sweet.

Also nice: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ms8yK6med_Y
Captain Oprey speaking whom I remember a little less serious and somewhat healthier looking.

MadameConcorde

Mon May 26, 2014 7:01 pm

Quoting na (Reply 24):
Also nice: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ms8yK6med_Y
Captain Oprey speaking whom I remember a little less serious and somewhat healthier looking.

Very nice video indeed. The man is a true class act like many of the Cunard fleet's former Masters and Commodores.

There could have been a 4th Queen, the most beautiful of all if she wasn't held prisoner in Dubai under such pitiful conditions.

There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

OA260
Topic Author

Mon May 26, 2014 7:06 pm

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 25):
There could have been a 4th Queen, the most beautiful of all if she wasn't held prisoner in Dubai under such pitiful conditions.

It had its day and a commercial decision was made. A little bit like Concorde. Nothing lasts forever sadly.

DocLightning

Tue May 27, 2014 2:01 am

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 25):

You know, a while back, you and I together engaged in a lot of hand-wringing about her getting hauled off for scrap, so for now, we shouldn't complain too much.

It's a pity Mauretania couldn't be there, too. But she is far less available than QE2.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan