Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ImperialEagle

RE: How Many Cars Have You Owned?

Fri May 23, 2014 2:31 am

Quoting sccutler (Reply 97):
more common price for a car like you that, with the miles you describe, would be $12,000!

Yeah, the E-Bay dealers are going for retail prices. There are plenty of them that individuals sell for a lot less. Especially from south Florida.
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough!"

mad99

Fri May 23, 2014 8:54 am

Quoting WildcatYXU (Reply 94):
To get 10 mpg you'd have to drive quite aggressively.

I know.
It took a wile to find it but the standard V8 gets 15/23 if i red the web page correctly and with all cars I'd guess one would get less.

Superfly

Fri May 23, 2014 9:56 am

Quoting ImperialEagle (Reply 96):
I am stunned!

I was too!
I was more stunned to see one in the first place. It was beat up to hell but it was hauling @ss.

I enjoy that name! I have driven some great Wildcat's before! I had a friend with a '68 that had the 430 in it.

1968 is my favorite year for the Buick Wildcat. I'd love to have the convertible version of that car.

I became enamored of (1) the absence of the wood grain side, which was never applied to the Custom Cruiser,

I need the wood!
A station wagon is incomplete without the wood!

Quoting JoePatroni707 (Reply 98):
1986 Alfa Romeo Graduate Spider.

Those are gorgeous little cars!
Not my style of car but I do admire them.

Quoting ltbewr (Reply 99):
1986 Chrysler Laser - 1st new car. 2.2 4 Cyl.

That has the same interior as my 1987 Chrysler Lebaron convertible. Did yours have the verbal alert system too?

Quoting WildcatYXU (Reply 94):
the V6 LX cars are still way better than all the Altimas, Camrys and Passats of the world.

No argument there!
Much better looking too.

Remember when they tried to market a Limo. and stuck that little engine in it? Ridiculous!

That has to be one of the silliest cars ever made. It's final year (1986) it had the 2.2 liter turbo engine which is even worse than the 2.6 liter HEMI.
I had so much bad luck with that engine in my Lebaron. The 2.2 was fine in the little Omni/Horizons and the base Reliants an Aries K. Once they started putting them in larger/heavier cars & minivans an adding turbo is when the problems start.
Bring back the Concorde

sccutler

Fri May 23, 2014 10:20 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 102):

I became enamored of (1) the absence of the wood grain side, which was never applied to the Custom Cruiser,

I need the wood!

'Fly, I always had the impression that getting wood was, for you, simply not a problem. Heh.

---

The woodgrain side looks entirely proper on the Buick and, for some reason, improper on the Olds.

In any event, this car is never garaged, so if it had woodgrain, it would become weathered and fail, and where I keep it, I have minimal maintenance and support resources. Credit where due, the car can sit, untouched, for two months running, and it always fires right up. It is a real hoss, and darned comfortable.

At 23 years and something over 150,000 miles, it looks very good, but I am getting close to the time that I'll need to find a trim shop to re-work some of the leather; will probably have to do that within the next couple of years!
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

ImperialEagle

Fri May 23, 2014 11:49 am

1968 is my favorite year for the Buick Wildcat

The styling was beautiful. In those days you could special-order the car with all kinds of Cadillac options such as real leather seating (from the De Ville Convertible) and Guide-Matic/ Twilight Sentinal, etc. Combined with Cornering lights, tilt, Comfortron, etc. you could have a car that was just as nice as the Cadillac De Ville and was faster, for significantly less money. I'm thinking Baby Blue with a Dark Blue top and White Cadillac Leather interior. I thought it was a shame when GM forced Buick into the #2 position behind Cadillac. Some of those old Buick 70 and 90 series cars were nicer than the Cadillacs. But, that was a looooong time ago.   

one of the silliest cars ever made

OMG. I was in Florida at the time Chrysler was marketing those. The local rep. for funeral cars brought one of those toy limo's. to the funeral home for us to test out. At that time we had a couple of early 1980's, standard, Fleetwood 75 Sedans. The toy was ridiculous. With a load of passengers it was straining to accelerate and Tampa is nearly flat for the most part. It always smelled hot. It was not nearly as quiet as the Fleetwood 75's and certainly did not ride as well.
People kept bumping their heads on the roof-rail entering and exiting the car and it was too low to the ground for the elderly. Anyway, it was pretty lame. The rep came by to pick the car up and was all full of enthusiasm, rubbing his hands together, ready to make a sale. The owner of the funeral home just looked at me, then turned to the rep and said "we have an opening on the board for a funeral at 11 am tomorrow if you will let us know what cemetery you want to bury it in". And that was the end of that!  

na

Fri May 23, 2014 12:26 pm

Quoting JoePatroni707 (Reply 98):
Just realized I forgot one..... 1986 Alfa Romeo Graduate Spider....so thats 15 total

You mean Pininfarina Spider. One of the most beautiful little Spiders of all time, only the 1980s series was spoiled by an ugly plastic rear spoiler. The driving position is a awkward for anyone 6" and taller. I am driving with a 1991 model regularly and did so two weeks ago for the last time, girlfriend has one since a long time.

Revelation

Fri May 23, 2014 5:16 pm

I was more stunned to see one in the first place. It was beat up to hell but it was hauling @ss.

The car or the girlfriend? 
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

falstaff

Fri May 23, 2014 5:29 pm

it also has to have a luggage rack.

Quoting ImperialEagle (Reply 104):
The local rep. for funeral cars brought one of those toy limo's

There was an several episodes of the "A-Team" where the bad guy had one of those. I remember thinking "why would such a powerful bad guy have such a wimpy limo".
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

Superfly

Fri May 23, 2014 5:37 pm

Quoting sccutler (Reply 103):
In any event, this car is never garaged, so if it had woodgrain, it would become weathered and fail, and where I keep it,

Since you mention it that way, perhaps it is better that you don't have a woodie.

Quoting sccutler (Reply 103):
Credit where due, the car can sit, untouched, for two months running, and it always fires right up. It is a real hoss, and darned comfortable.

Just like my grandmother's Roadmaster sedan of the same vintage.

The styling was beautiful. In those days you could special-order the car with all kinds of Cadillac options such as real leather seating (from the De Ville Convertible) and Guide-Matic/ Twilight Sentinal, etc. Combined with Cornering lights, tilt, Comfortron, etc. you could have a car that was just as nice as the Cadillac De Ville and was faster, for significantly less money.

So true.

I'm thinking Baby Blue

No, no, no and NO!   
Baby blue is an awful color for a car! I never understood the appeal of this color and I hate that it was a popular color for the Lincoln Continental in the 1960s.
Same for pink! Just awful colors! Baby blue and pink is only a nice color for women's lingerie - nothing else!
For the '68 Buick Wildcat, I prefer a more era specific color like copper or burgundy with black top and black interior.
Another nice color would be brown with tan interior and top.

It always smelled hot.

Just like my Lebaron.

With a load of passengers it was straining to accelerate and Tampa is nearly flat for the most part. It always smelled hot. It was not nearly as quiet as the Fleetwood 75's and certainly did not ride as well.

My Lebaron didn't ride so well an had a tendency to run hot. When I saw those Executives (Limos) at the wrecking yard when looking for parts for my Lebaron, I was shocked to see that those limos had the same exact parts and mechanisms for the suspension an just about everything else! Chrysler didn't do anything to enhance the ride quality of those to be suitable for a limousine. I can just imagine how terrible the ride quality was in a limo application.
BTW, I saw a mint condition Chrysler Executive Limo on my last trip to the US back in December parked in front of a multimillion dollar home in Malibu on the Pacific Coast Highway. My guess it that the owner is a famous comedian that keeps it around just for laughs! 
The rep came by to pick the car up and was all full of enthusiasm, rubbing his hands together, ready to make a sale. The owner of the funeral home just looked at me, then turned to the rep and said "we have an opening on the board for a funeral at 11 am tomorrow if you will let us know what cemetery you want to bury it in". And that was the end of that!

Now THAT is funny!  
Not sure why Chrysler didn't put the R-body limo in to full-scale production. They made a few for Lee Iacocca and Mr. Roarke on Fantasy Island.
Bring back the Concorde

Superfly

Fri May 23, 2014 5:46 pm

Quoting Revelation (Reply 106):
The car or the girlfriend?

Haha! The car!

Quoting falstaff (Reply 107):
it also has to have a luggage rack.

That is correct sir!

Quoting falstaff (Reply 107):
There was an several episodes of the "A-Team" where the bad guy had one of those. I remember thinking "why would such a powerful bad guy have such a wimpy limo".

I pity the fool that designed that Chrysler Limo!   

A typical bad guy car of the 80s should be a Firebird/Trans Am but since it's the A-Team, the bad guy should have been in one of those AMC Eagle SX/4. Since those are 4-wheel drive pony cars, they can go off road an make for a better plot that only the A-Team could solve.
Bring back the Concorde

falstaff

Fri May 23, 2014 5:50 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 108):
Baby blue is an awful color for a car! I never understood the appeal of this color and I hate that it was a popular color for the Lincoln Continental in the 1960s.

I had a friend with a 78 Continental that color and it was ugly.

Quoting Superfly (Reply 109):
A-Team, the bad guy should have been in one of those AMC Eagle SX/4. Since those are 4-wheel drive pony cars, they can go off road an make for a better plot that only the A-Team could solve.

The bad guy usually had a 1975 Cadillac 75 series.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

vikkyvik

Fri May 23, 2014 6:23 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 47):
It was a long, black plastic tube with a large head. You had to reach in between your legs, pull it from under the seat and start squeezing on it to inflate

My lord, 'Fly, this is a car thread!
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

Superfly

Fri May 23, 2014 6:53 pm

Quoting falstaff (Reply 110):
I had a friend with a 78 Continental that color and it was ugly.

Agreed! Same for the pink Cadillac.
Why? Just why?
...and people complain about simulated woodgrain side panels on station wagons?
I just don't get it!

The bad guy usually had a 1975 Cadillac 75 series.

In the movie Black Shampoo, the sexy MILF was driven to see Mr. Jonathan in one.
Although the mob boss had one too.

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 111):
My lord, 'Fly, this is a car thread!

Dude, you should have seen my reaction at the wrecking yard!
At first I thought it was a gag that one owner had in their car. Then I saw many other K-car coupes (Laser, Daytona & Lebaron) that had that feature.
It's the same technology used in those 1990s Nike tennis shoes. These were meant to support your lower back and it was a clever way to install this feature without draining the battery or requiring the ignition to be on.
The color an location of this squeeze bulb is very perverted however.
Bring back the Concorde

ImperialEagle

Sat May 24, 2014 12:36 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 108):
I never understood the appeal of this color

Hey, don't ruin my day dream!   If you had spent any time in South Florida in 1968 you would understand!
And funny you should mention 1960's Continentals in baby blue. I had a lot of fun pimping Miami Beach in a friends '67 Convertible back in the day----yup----also with white leather.
As for underwear ----------I know what you have on your mind!  
a 1975 Cadillac 75 series.

For some reason they, along with the 1976's, had a penchant for overheating! I don't think de-rating the 500 was a good idea given the weight of these cars!

Cactus739

Sat May 24, 2014 9:10 am

4 cars in the past 12 years...

2002 Mitsubishi Lancer OZ Rally. Looked much faster than it was. Almost no problems in 94,000 miles. Traded for a ...

2006 Maxda 3 S touring. So much fun to drive but after 68,000 miles I had the ac compressor, stereo, motor mounts, brakes, thermostat and transmission replaced within a year. Couldn't take the trips to the dealer anymore.

2010 Kia Forte EX. Solid built. No problems. Good efficiency but a yawn to drive. Lasted 43,000 miles before I got bored and upgraded to

2013 Kia Soul +. Incredibly roomy. Fun to drive. Good visibility. Cheapest insurance I've ever had. And I got $4500 off sine I bought it well into the 2014 model year and they wanted it off the lot.

Funny thing is I've had all 4 of these cars during the time my roommate has had his 2006 Toyota corolla
You can't fix stupid.... - Ron White

ImperialEagle

Sat May 24, 2014 10:05 am

Quoting cactus739 (Reply 114):
2013 Kia Soul +. Incredibly roomy. Fun to drive. Good visibility. Cheapest insurance I've ever had. And I got $4500 off sine I bought it well into the 2014 model year and they wanted it off the lot.

I see an incredible amount of elderly folks driving these cars. Is it the good visibility or ease of entry/exit? Maybe a combination of both and a great stereo system? Reliability?

Viscount724

Sun May 25, 2014 1:56 am

I'm only on my 4th car in 45 years, and one of those I only kept for 4 years. I've always been interested in cars but not in buying them. I believe in keeping a car as long as possible and maintaining it well, and only replacing it when something major fails that isn't worth repairing. That policy has saved me a lot of money over the years.

[Edited 2014-05-24 19:00:26]

Jetsgo

Sun May 25, 2014 6:12 am

2000 Dodge Stratus SE
2006 Ford Taurus SE
2008 Ford Fusion SE AWD
2010 Honda Civic EX
2012 Honda Civic EX
2013 Subaru Outback 2.5 Premium (current)
2014 Ford Fusion SE 2.0 Ecoboost (company car)

Turn and burn em.
Marine Corps Aviation, The Last To Let You Down!

AvObserver

Sun May 25, 2014 6:25 am

In going on 42 years of being a licensed driver, I'm still on only my 8th car. I tend to keep them longer than JoePatroni707.

And you'll laugh and smirk at a lot of them:

#1. 1972 AMC Gremlin (1972-1975)
#2. 1975 AMC Pacer (1975-1985) - Ten years!
#3. 1985 AMC/Renault Encore (1985-1991)
#4. 1991 Eagle Summit hatchback (1991-1997)
#5. 1997 Ford Taurus G sedan (1997-2001)
#6. 2001 Ford Focus 2 door hatchback (2001-2006)
#7. 2006 Mazda Tribute 2.3L AWD (2006-2011)
#8. 2011 Toyota Prius Two Liftback (2011-current)

ImperialEagle

Sun May 25, 2014 11:33 am

Quoting AvObserver (Reply 118):

Too much curved-glass for me! Like taking a ride in a fish-bowl!

Built like a tank though. I knew of one that clipped a parked (early 1970's) Buick Electra on the right rear corner and knocked it completely out of it's parking space with hardly any damage to the Pacer at all!
It's strange how after AMC went out of business, I saw their cars on the roads for years. Then all of a sudden POOF and they were gone.
Every now and then I run across something really old like a late fifties or early sixties Rambler American or Ambassador.
Strangely, the late 1940's Ambassador's seemed to survive the longest as I see them as well. Maybe because they tended to double as bedrooms?

Superfly

Mon May 26, 2014 3:56 am

Quoting ImperialEagle (Reply 113):
If you had spent any time in South Florida in 1968 you would understand!

What was so special about those colors in Miami at that time?

Quoting AvObserver (Reply 118):

#1. 1972 AMC Gremlin (1972-1975)

Two very good choices of cars.  
Quoting idealstandard (Reply 58):
The comfort aspect is definitely one of the main features! Other than the looks. Here's mine. It's only a 19, so it's no sports car.

That is gorgeous! Do you still have it?
Here is a better representation of that Citroen.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj96/Rush8track/Caravalle_Citroen_zpsb62577bc.jpg
Bring back the Concorde

ImperialEagle

Mon May 26, 2014 1:09 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 120):
What was so special about those colors in Miami at that time?

It was all about pastels! Baby Blue, Soft Yellow, Creamy Mint Green, Oh, and a white leather interior and/or white vinyl top. Every now and then a turquoise metallic or aqua metallic. It was just VERY "Miami Beach" in those days. I had a neighbor with a '69 or '70 Mark III in pastel Mint Green (vinyl-top delete) with white leather interior and that was one of the most beautiful Mark III's I ever saw! It was a "regional" thing to get pastel colors (and still is). In any event, in Florida you sure didn't want a darkly colored car because of the strength of the sun. Of course, if you kept it in a garage and only drove after dark it wouldn't matter. Check out this '76 Continental on E-Bay. Only thing missing is the white interior. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lincoln-Cont...tem=331207965281&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

When I was young back in the 1950's I remember all the old (1940's and a few 1930's) black cars-----with no air conditioning. What were they thinking? Back then men wore those "ice cream" suits and white straw hats to keep them cool. Really?! Like ANYTHING was going to keep them cool while wearing a suit in 100 degree/ 98% humidity weather!

I spent most of the 1980's in Florida, in the funeral business and wearing a dark suit every day. It was a good thing I was still young. There was the best Goodwill store I had ever seen----the size of a Wal-Mart----at the St. Pete. end of the Gandy bridge in Tampa. They had the best selection of high-quality men's clothing I have ever seen at a second-hand store. I was not about to ruin ( then) $300.00 suits with perspiration----and there were many times we got soaking-wet from perspiration just by working one funeral---- so I used to go to the Goodwill store and snatch-up all the $5.00 suits I could find. Pretty soon all my co-workers were doing the same thing. We used to look at the board on the way out the door to remind ourselves of the number of funerals scheduled the next day-----and bring a few suits and clean shirts if it was going to be a busy day. There were always suits hanging in the dorm in various stages of drying-out. We kept ice chests of Gatoraid stashed in the flower vans. Anyway, I digress,----- the hearses, limos and flower vans were all black! Miserable. We sure did learn which cars had the propensity to overheat as well! Nothing like a black car down in a funeral procession on a 100 degree day! We had a competitor with white hearses and limos so, of course, we could't be seen to "copy" anybody.  

The last car my mother owned before she died was triple-black. In south Florida! Duh!
At least it had air conditioning!  

[Edited 2014-05-26 06:13:07]

Superfly

Mon May 26, 2014 2:03 pm

Quoting ImperialEagle (Reply 121):
It was just VERY "Miami Beach" in those days.

I figured it had to be a local thing.

I had a neighbor with a '69 or '70 Mark III in pastel Mint Green (vinyl-top delete)

YUCK!
That's just wrong! ...and no vinyl top?
Those cars look best in burgundy or copper with black top and interior.

in Florida you sure didn't want a darkly colored car because of the strength of the sun.

Here in Bangkok, we have the same weather as Miami and I don't notice that much of a difference with a dark color car. I still will buy a black or dark blue sedan. Many people here do. In fact, black Mercedes and BMWs are very common here just like in the US. Yet when it comes to American luxury sedans, buyers are afraid to go for dark colors. Why is that?
In fact, I started a thread about this very topic 8 years ago.

1992-1996 Buick Park Avenue Hard To Find (by Superfly Mar 31 2006 in Non Aviation)

When I was young back in the 1950's I remember all the old (1940's and a few 1930's) black cars-----with no air conditioning. What were they thinking? Back then men wore those "ice cream" suits and white straw hats to keep them cool. Really?! Like ANYTHING was going to keep them cool while wearing a suit in 100 degree/ 98% humidity weather!

I hope 1940s fashion never comes back.

There was the best Goodwill store I had ever seen----the size of a Wal-Mart----

Those are the best!

Check out this '76 Continental on E-Bay. Only thing missing is the white interior. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lincoln-Cont...rucks

...and that is precisely what annoys me! It's almost ALWAYS these bright Miami colored Lincolns from this era that are commonly found in mint condition!   
When I finally found my dream car in triple-black with all options, I had to snap it up despite needing major repairs! The black models from this era lived a hard life with New York mobsters. They are very difficult to find now.
In fact, it's very difficult to find any domestic luxury sedan used in all black or dark colors. Seems like all the recent model Town Cars, Grand Marquis and Park Avenues are in white, champagne or ice blue.  
I prefer those in black, midnight blue or burgundy.
No bright colors on my car please!
Bring back the Concorde

sccutler

Mon May 26, 2014 5:27 pm

I was talking with She Who Must Be Obeyed, about a possible next car purchase, a topic which often arises because I have an almost visceral need to have another Cadillac as a daily driver (still miss my Deville).

The Lincoln Town Car is also on the list, and she says (and I have to agree) that a Town Car really needs to be black - but the insatiable appetite of livery operators to snap up every one of these that ever hits the market means they are both hard to find, and costly when found. But, the black exterior is the thing. Ford's air conditioning is up to the heat load, of course.

If it ends up being another Caddy, of course, it will be white, although I much prefer a plain white to the almost ubiquitous metallic or pearlescent whites.

I may just have to stick with the Suburban.

Unless I came across an irresistible deal on a nice Caddy Brougham...

par13del

Mon May 26, 2014 5:34 pm

Well a pretty short list, I always bought new and kept them until they died

1984 Toyota Corolla
1998 Nissan Sentra - Still going strong
2000 Nissan Sentra
2013 Kia Sportage - current

ImperialEagle

Mon May 26, 2014 6:41 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 122):
I hope 1940s fashion never comes back.

Well, in some ways I liked the styles. I have admired some snappy fashions in neck ties and some suits and shoes.
But----I sure don't want to have to wear some heavy suit in a tropical climate!

Quoting sccutler (Reply 123):
an irresistible deal on a nice Caddy Brougham...

Well, here's a nice Brougham I've been watching. It has the very desirable 5.7 liter. Oh, and triple-black!  
The link to E-Bay;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cadillac-Fle...tem=321413734462&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

ImperialEagle

Mon May 26, 2014 6:48 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 122):
They are very difficult to find now.

Well, here's a nice Mark III that just needs some TLC and it's in Florida!
Link to E-Bay;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lincoln-Mark...tem=380913047070&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

Check out this Coupe in triple-black, also on E-Bay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lincoln-Cont...tem=281343222609&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

[Edited 2014-05-26 11:50:32]

I am currently bidding on this one. Only one "red-flag" so far------that damned "Christmas Tree" air freshener! Last year for center-opening doors.
Here's the link to E-Bay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lincoln-Cont...tem=121349607406&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

[Edited 2014-05-26 11:56:06]

O.k., One more. I almost bought a '73 brand new. This one is still below average miles. It has colors you like.

Link to E-Bay;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lincoln-Cont...tem=261486618484&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

[Edited 2014-05-26 12:01:54]

Superfly

Tue May 27, 2014 3:41 am

I was talking with She Who Must Be Obeyed, about a possible next car purchase,

Since you're now empty-nesters, how about that new Dodge Challenger?
Would you ever consider the Chrysler 300C?

a topic which often arises because I have an almost visceral need to have another Cadillac as a daily driver (still miss my Deville).

I'm surprised the STS-V didn't sell well and they still go for a ton of money used.

The Lincoln Town Car is also on the list, and she says (and I have to agree) that a Town Car really needs to be black - but the insatiable appetite of livery operators to snap up every one of these that ever hits the market means they are both hard to find, and costly when found. But, the black exterior is the thing. Ford's air conditioning is up to the heat load, of course.

I'm sure there are a few low miles ones in black.

If it ends up being another Caddy, of course, it will be white, although I much prefer a plain white to the almost ubiquitous metallic or pearlescent whites.

You're too young for a white Cadillac. White is an old folks color for a car.

Nice!

Quoting ImperialEagle (Reply 125):
. I have admired some snappy fashions in neck ties and some suits and shoes.
But----I sure don't want to have to wear some heavy suit in a tropical climate!

I'm more of a white polyester suit kind of guy. I hope 1970s fashions come back.
The 1940s look is too bland for my taste.

Well, here's a nice Brougham I've been watching. It has the very desirable 5.7 liter. Oh, and triple-black!
The link to E-Bay;

One of you two should snap that up!   

Quoting ImperialEagle (Reply 126):
Well, here's a nice Mark III that just needs some TLC and it's in Florida!
Link to E-Bay;

Now you're talking!   
No self respecting pimp would every drive a pastel colored Lincoln or Cadillac. Only their suites were pastel.  

BTW, one car that does look good in pastel is the Nissan Figaro. I talk about that in great detail in this thread.

A Mini Car That Even 'I' Like (by Superfly Mar 22 2011 in Non Aviation)
Bring back the Concorde

PHLBOS

Tue May 27, 2014 4:41 pm

A little late to the party, but here's my list of cars I've owned since 1982 (32 years Yikes! has it been that long?):

Note: Body style & engine are only listed if more than one was available for said-car.

1. 1969 Ford LTD Brougham 4-door sedan, 302 V8 (owned 1982-1984).

2. 1974 Chevy Impala 4-door hardtop, 350 V8 (owned 1984).

3. 1976 Ford LTD 4-door, 351M V8 (owned 1985-1988).

4. 1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 4-door (owned 1988-1992).

5. 1989 Chevy Caprice Classic 4-door, 305 V8 (owned 1992-1996).

6. 1976 Ford LTD Landau 2-door, 351M V8 (owned 1993-2010).

7. 1997 Ford Crown Victoria LX w/handling & Performace Package (still own since 1996).

8. 2007 Ford Mustang Pony Package convertible, 4.0L V6 (still own since 2007).

Quoting sccutler (Reply 12):
1986 Ford LTD

The mid-size Fox body or full-size Panther body (aka the (LTD) Crown Victoria)?

Quoting falstaff (Reply 38):
Did you ever drive the 81 DeVille, with the V-6, it made you long for the power of the HT-4100 I had a friend who had one and it was terrible!

From what I understand, that V6 was actually geared to have better initial acceleration than the pitiful HT4100 (the engine that helped increase Lincoln Town Car sales (w/its 5.0/302) immensely during that era).

Quoting falstaff (Reply 38):
Quoting ImperialEagle (Reply 37):
They finally put a 5.7 liter in the last of that Brougham body style like about 1990 I believe,

Yes, but was an option.

As part of a towing package IIRC. Until the '93 make-over (into the Fleetwood), the 5.7L option for the '90-'92 Brougham had a Gas-Guzzler tax attached to the price.

Quoting Superfly (Reply 90):
Quoting WildcatYXU (Reply 82):
That said, there is a whole world of difference between the base V6 models and the SRT8's.

Indeed. Those V6s are only made for rental car agencies and to make the government happy.

They also exist as price leaders. The V8 models sticker well over the $30k mark whereas the V6 models (which are aren't necessarily slouches as their predecessors were) still start at roughly $25k. Yes, the price gaps between a V6 & V8 have widened over the years.

Quoting falstaff (Reply 87):
I always got a kick out of the Chrysler K cars that that had the Mitsubishi 4 cylinder in the 1980s. They had little badges stating it had a "hemi". It was a poor attempt to try and convince people those cars were powerful.

Yeah. Remember when they tried to market a Limo. and stuck that little engine in it? Ridiculous!
It would have had more power with a Briggs & Stranton off an old Murray lawnmower!

Probably one of Iacocca's worst ideas ever.

Speaking of Briggs & Stratton, here's a little tid-bit: One of the first hybrid vehicles offered in the U.S. circa 1980
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

sccutler

Tue May 27, 2014 8:21 pm

an irresistible deal on a nice Caddy Brougham...

The link to E-Bay;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cadillac-Fle...tem=321413734462&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

One of the very best eBay car ads I have ever seen. And, a nice car.

But, I don't care for the seat belts on the doors- intended to comply with "passive restraint" rules, and not at all effective.

I really prefer the last-generation Brougham.

Quoting Superfly (Reply 127):

I was talking with She Who Must Be Obeyed, about a possible next car purchase,

Since you're now empty-nesters, how about that new Dodge Challenger?
Would you ever consider the Chrysler 300C?

I like them, but not really in the mix. Sister-in-Law got a 300C, and loves it.

You're too young for a white Cadillac. White is an old folks color for a car.

One of the principal benefits - no one expects a virile, youthful fellow like me to have a white Caddy.

Nice!

Like I said...

Quoting PHLBOS (Reply 128):

Quoting sccutler (Reply 12):
1986 Ford LTD

The mid-size Fox body or full-size Panther body (aka the (LTD) Crown Victoria)?

Fox-body LTD. Nice car.

corocks

Tue May 27, 2014 11:36 pm

In 28 years:

1968 Camaro
1985 Camaro
1991 Grand Prix
1994 Mazda MX6
1967 Camaro RS Convertible (still have)
2002 Acura TL-S
2009 Audi A5
2014 Acura RDX (just got)

AvObserver

Wed May 28, 2014 3:03 am

Quoting ImperialEagle (Reply 119):

Too much curved-glass for me! Like taking a ride in a fish-bowl!

Built like a tank though. I knew of one that clipped a parked (early 1970's) Buick Electra on the right rear corner and knocked it completely out of it's parking space with hardly any damage to the Pacer at all!
It's strange how after AMC went out of business, I saw their cars on the roads for years. Then all of a sudden POOF and they were gone.
Every now and then I run across something really old like a late fifties or early sixties Rambler American or Ambassador.
Strangely, the late 1940's Ambassador's seemed to survive the longest as I see them as well. Maybe because they tended to double as bedrooms?

Though many hated how a lot of AMCs looked, many were quite good cars since they didn't change much over many years and bugs had long since been worked out. The AMC sixes were very durable engines and after AMC standardized Ziebart rustproofing, the cars didn't rot out the way they once did. Yes, the A/C in my old Pacer worked hard to compensate for the car's extreme "greenhouse" effect but I loved the panoramic view all around. And yes, the Pacer could take hits very well - I wrecked a 70's Ford Fiesta (unintentionally) with mine in 1981 and my car was still driveable and was fixed for about $1200. My mother demolished a stone wall at her apartment complex with her '79 Pacer wagon when she skidded on ice and that car was driveable and also later repaired. But AMC just had too many strikes against it to survive and bad bets on models like the Pacer and the Matador Coupe, which sold well initially but then crashed on the charts, sealed its fate. I always loved rooting for this underdog but it was inevitable they'd cash in their chips, finally.

2707200X

Wed May 28, 2014 9:01 am

Rather small but I had a...

1) 1992 Nissan Sentra

2) 1994 Nissan Maxima

3) 1999 Toyota Camry

4) 2010 Ford Focus

The Sentra has been the most reliable. My dad got is in '92 and I had it until 2008 when my grand parents acquired it and now my uncle has it for his car to work. Runs well though a little slow in acceleration on the freeway. The Maxima ran well, accelerated quickly and was a smooth ride but the radio was shot and the automatic window motors always got stuck or collapsed open. My cousin got the car but was totaled while parked in the parking lot by a big rig, don't know how that happened. The Camry got a new engine a month ago after persistent "knocking" and slow acceleration and the Ford runs fine.
"And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by." John Masefield Sea-Fever

na

Wed May 28, 2014 9:20 am

Interesting to note there is almost no overlap between European and American buyers. Its like in sport.

Superfly

Wed May 28, 2014 9:51 am

Quoting AvObserver (Reply 131):
Though many hated how a lot of AMCs looked, many were quite good cars since they didn't change much over many years and bugs had long since been worked out.

People seem to like AMC more now than when they were around.

6. 1976 Ford LTD Landau 2-door, 351M V8 (owned 1993-2010).

Sad to hear that one is no longer in your stable.  
They also exist as price leaders. The V8 models sticker well over the $30k mark whereas the V6 models (which are aren't necessarily slouches as their predecessors were) still start at roughly $25k. Yes, the price gaps between a V6 & V8 have widened over the years.

That is true.
Not sure why that is considering it doesn't cost that much more to drop in the larger engine already on the shelf.

Quoting sccutler (Reply 129):
I don't care for the seat belts on the doors- intended to comply with "passive restraint" rules, and not at all effective.

Oh I forgot about that feature.

Quoting sccutler (Reply 129):
One of the principal benefits - no one expects a virile, youthful fellow like me to have a white Caddy.

Haha!  
Quoting na (Reply 133):
Interesting to note there is almost no overlap between European and American buyers. Its like in sport.

???
Read my reply #47
Mostly American but owned two German cars an in the market to buy a Japanese car.
Sccutler, Corocks and Falstaff's list includes a mix of American and European cars.
Bring back the Concorde

Revelation

Wed May 28, 2014 11:54 am

Quoting 2707200X (Reply 132):
The Sentra has been the most reliable. My dad got is in '92 and I had it until 2008 when my grand parents acquired it and now my uncle has it for his car to work. Runs well though a little slow in acceleration on the freeway. T

My former wife brought an 86 Sentra into the marriage that I ended up driving after we got married in 90. The thing was just as you said, slow, but utterly reliable.

Quoting Superfly (Reply 134):
Mostly American but owned two German cars an in the market to buy a Japanese car.
Sccutler, Corocks and Falstaff's list includes a mix of American and European cars.

Me too: Ford Tbird in the 80s, Ford Explorer in the 90s, etc. I think there isn't much overlap in models, though. Traditionally USians have been buying larger models than non-USians but I think that trend is winding down.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

idealstandard

Wed May 28, 2014 12:12 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 120):
That is gorgeous! Do you still have it?
Here is a better representation of that Citroen.

Yes I still have it, here are a few more pics.

https://scontent-b-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/t1.0-9/p720x720/1907595_10152163578277795_6131661064477701859_n.jpg

ImperialEagle

Wed May 28, 2014 12:50 pm

Quoting idealstandard (Reply 136):
here are a few more pics.

Awesome vintage Citroen!   

Quoting ImperialEagle (Reply 70):
check out the new Challanger SRT Hellcat

Here's more on that Hellcat engine. A link to a Fox News story:

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2014/...ts-hellcat-engine/?intcmp=features

PHLBOS

Wed May 28, 2014 1:29 pm

Sad to hear that one is no longer in your stable.

Unfortunately, such wasn't completely by choice. The car's interior had some moisture/leakage issues and got to a point the inside was always damp during wet weather. IIRC, you mentioned that one of your Lincolns experienced such.

Unfortunately, I did not have the resources (namely inside garage space) to place the car in and do whatever it took to fix/address the problem. Not to mention, the fact that skyrocketing gas prices back then made the car much more expensive to fill up & operate than it did in years past (even w/the base 351M; thankfully, I wasn't using the car for daily commutes to/from work).

I actually had my brother take the car shortly after getting my Mustang in Sept. 2007. The original intent was that he might take the car fix it up (even take it somewhere to have the interior resealed if possible) and give it to our father who needed a replacement car. That way, the car would stay in the family as it were.

My father had other plans and bought a used Mark VII that actually needed more work than my '76 Ford did; he had a habit of buying vehicles on impulse. He would later by a used Escape to replace it because he could no longer get in & out of the Mark VII easily anymore (he's in his 80s and has Parkinson's).

The rising gas prices again (breaking the $3.50/gallon and even $4/gallon barrier for regular in 2008) discouraged my brother from driving the vehicle too often and that's what likely did it in. When the car was driven on a regular basis, it was basically fine; but when it sat for long periods of time, that's when it started having issues.

The car was sold in 2010. Not sure if it's still around. Who know's maybe I'll see it at the upcoming Ford Nationals in Carlisle, PA in a couple of weeks. One could still hope.

It's only recently that my '97 Crown Vic. now has the title of being the vehicle that I've owned the longest.

That is true.
Not sure why that is considering it doesn't cost that much more to drop in the larger engine already on the shelf.

Such likely (guess on my part) has to do with both fuel economy regs and insurance rates. The latter was the primary reason why affordable, high-performance pony and muscle cars fell out of favor saleswise after the late-60s.

While car companies want their models to sell well; they know that selling too many of the high performance, gas-guzzling models (PR nightmares from the enviros aside) will cause them to fall short of meeting fleet fuel economy goals and, hence, pay more fines. Remember, just because a car doesn't have a gas guzzler tax imposed on the sticker price doesn't mean that it doesn't drag down the make's overall fleet average. I know, the whole thing is stupid; but that's the current reality.

[Edited 2014-05-28 06:58:27]
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

ImperialEagle

Wed May 28, 2014 4:37 pm

Quoting PHLBOS (Reply 138):
The car's interior had some moisture/leakage issues and got to a point the inside was always damp during wet weather. IIRC, you mentioned that one of your Lincolns experienced such.

I've been there and experienced that, also with a Lincoln (I believe sunroof drains had become plugged).
To this day I get a mental red-flag whenever I get into a car that smells "mildewy".
Another reason (besides tobacco smoke) I get a red-flag whenever I see one of those damned "Christmas tree" air fresheners!

PHLBOS

Wed May 28, 2014 6:55 pm

Quoting ImperialEagle (Reply 139):

Truth be told, the car wasn't like that when I initially bought it on Sept. 1993 but over time, those seals eventually dried out and became ineffective. When I bought it, the car had only 36k (original) on it and was garaged for a sizable chunk of its life prior to my buying it.

The tires on it were of the pre-P-metric era (HR78-15 size IIRC) which told me that the tires on it were very old & possibly original. Replacing the tires was one of the first things I did after purchasing. I paid $2000 for the car back then.

aerobalance

Wed May 28, 2014 9:26 pm

1. '73 Mercury Capri
2. '76 Mercury Capri
3. '87 Ford Mustang GT
4. '96 Nissa Sentra
5. '97 Honda CR-V
6. '05 Nissan Titan
7. '05 BMW 325i
8. '06 BMW 330i
9. '07 BMW 335i
10. '08 Lexus ES350
12. '08 Lexus IS350
13. '08 BMW 335ic
14. '08 Honda Civic
15. '11 BMW 535i
16. '13 Honda Accord LX
17. '14 Mercedes-Benz CLS550

Cars 6,16,17 are still in the fleet. Looking at a 911 and/or a GS350 to add to the stable...
"Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy..."

Superfly

Thu May 29, 2014 7:44 am

Quoting Revelation (Reply 135):
Me too: Ford Tbird in the 80s,

Was it one of the boxy Fairmont looking Birds or the AeroBird?

Quoting idealstandard (Reply 136):
Yes I still have it, here are a few more pics.

I love it, love it, love it!  
That along with the Concorde are the two most beautiful things to come out of France.
Yes I know it's half British

The car's interior had some moisture/leakage issues and got to a point the inside was always damp during wet weather. IIRC, you mentioned that one of your Lincolns experienced such.

Sorry to hear about that.

The car was sold in 2010. Not sure if it's still around. Who know's maybe I'll see it at the upcoming Ford Nationals in Carlisle, PA in a couple of weeks. One could still hope.

I'd hope so. Anyone buying a 1976 Ford LTD by 2010 would want to keep the car, possibly restore it.

While car companies want their models to sell well; they know that selling too many of the high performance, gas-guzzling models (PR nightmares from the enviros aside) will cause them to fall short of meeting fleet fuel economy goals and, hence, pay more fines. Remember, just because a car doesn't have a gas guzzler tax imposed on the sticker price doesn't mean that it doesn't drag down the make's overall fleet average. I know, the whole thing is stupid; but that's the current reality.

Count on the government to screw things up.

I've been there and experienced that, also with a Lincoln (I believe sunroof drains had become plugged).

That was the case with the Cordovan '77 Town Car I had. The power glass moonroof had a tube that either was clogged or the area surrounding it on the rear wheel well had rusted.

To this day I get a mental red-flag whenever I get into a car that smells "mildewy".
Another reason (besides tobacco smoke) I get a red-flag whenever I see one of those damned "Christmas tree" air fresheners!

That's the truth.
You tend to see these at the shady used car lots with used cars coated with Armor All.

Quoting PHLBOS (Reply 140):
Truth be told, the car wasn't like that when I initially bought it on Sept. 1993 but over time, those seals eventually dried out and became ineffective. When I bought it, the car had only 36k (original) on it and was garaged for a sizable chunk of its life prior to my buying it.

No matter how nice it looked when new, these cars need to be garaged. Those fancy vinyl roofs, bodyside moldings, emblems, decals and anywhere where the body is breached for coachlamps, fender caps, hood ornaments will rust if water collects there. If garage space is limited, perhaps it's best leaving the new car that's under warranty outside. It has few parts to rust.

Quoting aerobalance (Reply 141):
3. '87 Ford Mustang GT

Nice!

7. '05 BMW 325i

Is that the one I rode in?

Looking at a 911 and/or a GS350 to add to the stable...

My mother has the GS350.
What do you think of the new Dodge Challenger SRT8?
Bring back the Concorde

nickh

Thu May 29, 2014 8:54 am

Ok, here's my list:

1: 1940-xx FIAT 500 (B) "Topolino" (Little Mouse) - it was a family car, hand me down.
2: 1960x FIAT 1100 (D) series - popular in India at the time.
3: 1973 Volkswagen Microbus - with the optional A/C package, included a weird bottom-of-the-chassis-mounted heat exchanger.
4: 1970-something Dodge Dart - the one with the 45-degree Inline Slant-6 Engine.
5: 1970s-something FIAT Spyder - this was a hobby car that I picked up for $250, rebuilt it from the ground up with my cousin and we sold it for $4000!
6: 1980 Honda Accord - my daily driver through college - loved that car, then I gave it to my brother after graduating and he promptly melted the engine block by driving it without oil in the crankcase - long story
7:1980-s something Honda Civic-CRX Si - the Pocket Rocket
8: 1985 - I think - Pontiac Sunbird LE - comfy little car, the LE package added some nice electric accessories and upgraded the stereo.
9: 1989 brand new Honda Accord LX-i (was going to buy the new 1989 Honda Prelude 2.0 Si-4WS, but it just worked out this way financially...).
10: 2000 Infiniti Q45t - 10-year Anniversary Edition, #431/3000 made - still my current (somewhat) daily driver. Still only 45K miles on the clock.
11: Lexus GX-470 w/Mark Levinson 14-speaker Audio Package (450W+dual subs - yikes), Nav + Towing packge - the weekend warrior.
12: Nissan Leaf all-electric - the in-town grocery-getter, the daily errand runner, etc. Nice that we drive it all day here in Houston, plug it in overnight and voila, good to go again in the morning.

Luckily - I have been fortunate to have driven some very eclectic cars - including that gorgeous Citroen DS that has been posted earlier in this thread - what a ride, with that Air Suspension!
My lady friend worked as a test driver for Porsche+Audi many, many years ago, she has an interesting list of cars that she has driven both on the test and offroad tracks for them.

Quite possible the weirdest vehicle that I have ever been privy to drive was a very heavily modified Land Rover Defender 90-series - except much older, it was a circa 1960s something model - it was modified by the military to do some heavy terrain climbing work (I used to live near the Indian Southern Command army base in Pune, India) - and they would drive this thing around our neighborhood streets from time to time.
One time, the soldiers operating it - they were pretty friendly with the neighborhood kids and car afficianodos back then - this was in the early 1970s - they just let me get behind the wheel and take it on a ride on a test strip that they had made on base.
Something about a teenager - me- driving an armed (live ammo) army vehicle, taking 45-degree inclines, 25-degree side banks and climbing over rocks while the soldier above my head behind me was firing off live rounds at targets!! Well, that'll never happen again, for sure.

Well - there are other cars that I have co-owned and otherwise had access to on a daily basis, but the above are the ones that I have personally owned.

-Nick
"We all have wings, but some of us don't know why..."

ImperialEagle

Thu May 29, 2014 12:11 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 142):
You tend to see these at the shady used car lots with used cars coated with Armor All.

Yeah. A pet-peeve of mine is to get a used car up on a lift and the seller has had the underside sprayed and then tries to lie about it and say "it was Ziebarted at the factory"  
Gee, that sure is fresh looking Ziebart without a speck of dust or engine oil. Please  
I want to see the car as it really is with underside surface rust, grease and oil marks, etc. It makes it a bit harder to figure out what the seller is trying to cover-up!

Quoting nickh (Reply 143):
One time, the soldiers operating it - they were pretty friendly with the neighborhood kids and car afficianodos back then - this was in the early 1970s - they just let me get behind the wheel and take it on a ride on a test strip that they had made on base.
Something about a teenager - me- driving an armed (live ammo) army vehicle, taking 45-degree inclines, 25-degree side banks and climbing over rocks while the soldier above my head behind me was firing off live rounds at targets!!

That sound pretty kool to me!

Quoting nickh (Reply 143):
1970-something Dodge Dart - the one with the 45-degree Inline Slant-6 Engine.

Well, even if the body rusted off of it that engine has likely been trans-planted into something else. They could take incredible abuse and keep on running so I think a lot of them outlived the body of the car they were built with.

Have you noticed that clean, low-mileage versions of this type of car brings astonishingly high bids at auctions?
Oh, and it can be just a plain-jane and it will bring in $20K   . WTF???
In fact, nearly all the old, most plain-jane models on the market are getting top-dollar bids at auction! Crazy man.
I know of a plain-jane Bel Air two-door post with a 427(?) and three-speed on the tree going for incredible money. Radio delete, no PS,PB,Air, etc. But, I'm sure it's fast!

PHLBOS

Thu May 29, 2014 4:47 pm

No matter how nice it looked when new, these cars need to be garaged. Those fancy vinyl roofs, bodyside moldings, emblems, decals and anywhere where the body is breached for coachlamps, fender caps, hood ornaments will rust if water collects there. If garage space is limited, perhaps it's best leaving the new car that's under warranty outside. It has few parts to rust.

I agree in principle, especially in the northeast; but not every house where I reside nor every apartment complex comes with a garage nor has the space to build one. Plus, not everybody can afford to build a garage even if they have the land space to do so; my older brother's place falls in this category.

As a matter of fact, the main reason why the previous owner sold that '76 LTD in the first place back in '93 was due to limited garage space. He lived in a rowhome in the Overbrook section of Philadelphia and only had a detached single car garage that the LTD just barely fit in. The other vehicle he had at the time was a '77 Caprice. I forget which vehicle was his and which belonged to his then-recently disceased father. Since his surviving elderly mother didn't drive, having two old cars but only one driver & garage wasn't going to work for him.

He reluctantly sold the bigger Ford because the downsized Caprice fitted better in his one garage.

Truth be told, when I first bought the car, I wasn't looking for a show car but just reliable transportation. I was originally looking for a used compact for commuting (I worked in South Jersey back then and was racking up some serious miles on the '89 Caprice I had at the time) but when I saw this LTD listed in the ad, I checked it out for curiousity sake and the rest is history.

My thinking was, yes this car uses more gas than a 5-year-old compact; but there's no payment book involved and my familiarity w/the '69-'78 full-size Fords (from past ones I or my family members owned) eliminated most if not all the guesswork when things needed fixing.

PHLBOS

Thu May 29, 2014 8:43 pm

Quoting Revelation (Reply 135):
Me too: Ford Tbird in the 80s,

Was it one of the boxy Fairmont looking Birds or the AeroBird?

His original posted (see below) stated that it was an '86 model.

Quoting Revelation (Reply 16):
86 Ford Thunderbird (nice highway cruiser, didn't keep it too long)

Speaking of the Box-Fox Birds, the latest issue of Collectible Automobile magazine has an article covering those '80-'82 models.

Superfly

Fri May 30, 2014 5:12 am

Quoting ImperialEagle (Reply 144):
Yeah. A pet-peeve of mine is to get a used car up on a lift and the seller has had the underside sprayed and then tries to lie about it and say "it was Ziebarted at the factory"

Living in California I didn't have to worry about that at all.

Quoting ImperialEagle (Reply 144):
Have you noticed that clean, low-mileage versions of this type of car brings astonishingly high bids at auctions?
Oh, and it can be just a plain-jane and it will bring in $20K . WTF???

Insane!
Those cars are very popular among the hipsters.
Crazy that today they sale for more then what a fully-loaded, mint-condition Imperial Lebaron or New Yorker Brougham of the same era.

Quoting PHLBOS (Reply 145):

Truth be told, when I first bought the car, I wasn't looking for a show car but just reliable transportation.

For 1993, I can understand. That was 21 years ago. Today those can still be used as a daily driver but would have needed some work done on it to keep in the road.

Quoting PHLBOS (Reply 146):
His original posted (see below) stated that it was an '86 model.

I missed that.

Quoting PHLBOS (Reply 146):
Speaking of the Box-Fox Birds, the latest issue of Collectible Automobile magazine has an article covering those '80-'82 models.

Those are one of the most overlooked Thunderbirds. The guy across the street from me had one.
He had Thunderbirds all his life. When I was born up till I was 4, he had a 1971 sedan, then a 1978, then a 1981 box-bird, then a 1986 Elan, then a 1991 superbird until he passed away in 1995.
Bring back the Concorde

brian_ga

Fri May 30, 2014 8:14 am

I've been driving since 1978, so 36 years...showing my age...

1. 1966 Ford Galaxie 500XL - 2dr
2. 1977 Toyota Celica - 2dr
3. 1983 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme - 2dr
4. 1981 Toyota Celica Supra - 2dr hatchback
5. 1993 Ford Ranger XL - 2dr extended cab
6. 2005 Ford Mustang 4.6l Convertible
7. 2002 Mazda Miata - Convertible

I have never owned a 'new' car, always used. Maybe one day I will buy a brand new car.....maybe.
Keep looking up, that's the secret to life....Snoopy

ImperialEagle

Fri May 30, 2014 11:38 am

When your'e hot your'e hot!

First 500 Ford Mustangs for European customers flew off the shelves in 30 seconds!   

Here's a link to an article on Fox News:

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2014/...out-in-30-seconds/?intcmp=features