Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

TheGov
Topic Author

LAX Day Trip Suggestions

Sun May 25, 2014 1:49 am

Looking for suggestions for things to see/do in Los Angeles during a day trip. We are actually starting in San Diego but some members of the family want to hit LA one day. So, any suggestions on what to do for a day in LA that would keep teenagers interested is greatly appreciated!

vikkyvik

RE: LAX Day Trip Suggestions

Sun May 25, 2014 5:17 am

Quoting TheGov (Thread starter):
Looking for suggestions for things to see/do in Los Angeles during a day trip. We are actually starting in San Diego but some members of the family want to hit LA one day. So, any suggestions on what to do for a day in LA that would keep teenagers interested is greatly appreciated!

Well, there's a heck of a lot to do/see depending on how much time you have. What are they all interested in?

PHX787

Sun May 25, 2014 6:15 am

Paramount Studios offers pretty neat tours that last about ~90 min or so. That was enjoyable for me!

Osubuckeyes

Sun May 25, 2014 6:50 am

Knottsberry Farm, Disneyland/California adventure, Six Flags, Angels/Dodgers game, Beaches and piers, Paramount Studios tours, Hollywood, Tour the Queen Mary (I think they have some pretty cool ghost tours of the ship), Downtown Long Beach, Malibu, Downtown LA has some cool stuff, Santa Monica shoreline, and of course there's lots of really good food everywhere. Really the city is full of a ton to do. I go there once a month for about 36 hours and have a blast every time, though my trips include activities for the 21+ crowd.

Mike89406

Sun May 25, 2014 9:33 am

Lots to do since I live in SD and drive up some weekends. For a day trip though you could drive up to Hollywood and walk around, Newport Beach, Santa Monica. Shopping centers in Irvine, Medieval Times in Buena Park. Griffith Observatory which has panoramic views of LA and surrounding areas.

flymia

Sun May 25, 2014 2:53 pm

Quoting Mike89406 (Reply 4):
Griffith Observatory which has panoramic views of LA and surrounding areas.

One of my favorite spots in LA. Defiantly recommend it.

If you and the the family members enjoy cars at all the Peterson Museum is a really good. Not too large you could spend 90mins there and enjoy it pretty well. Have they ever been to LA before? I would imagine they would want to see the typical Hollywood and Rodeo Drive stuff if not.

TheGov
Topic Author

Mon May 26, 2014 1:05 am

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 1):
Well, there's a heck of a lot to do/see depending on how much time you have. What are they all interested in?

Let me just say this - there are three girls and one boy between the ages of 12-18. We are going to drive up from San Diego so our time frame might be in the 10-12 hour range. The girls are all about the shopping experience. The boy, not so much.

Quoting PHX787 (Reply 2):
Paramount Studios offers pretty neat tours that last about ~90 min or so. That was enjoyable for me!

That sounds pretty interesting. May have to check into that.

flymia - no, never been to LA before and since the group is mostly females, they are not too interested in cars. The Griffith Observatory sounds interesting, though.

flymia

Mon May 26, 2014 1:26 am

Well if the girls want to see the shops let them see Beverly Hills/Rodeo Drive area. Most of the shops are pretty expensive so I assume there won't be so much actual shopping as just looking around. Then maybe head to Hollywood and see the star walk, theater etc.. So you get some of the main sites in. Also if you are thee on a weekday a trip to the Science museum to see Space Shuttle Endeavour. The rest of the museum is not so great IMO but the Endevour exhibit is great and when I went on a Monday afternoon it was pretty empty. Could easily be seen in an hour.

Quoting TheGov (Reply 6):
The Griffith Observatory sounds interesting, though.

If the weather is good and not too smoggy this is a must do. Depending what time you are there maybe head there around sunset. I have been up there during the day and night and love it at any time. Go to LA around 2 times a year for the past 8 years and still love going there. The small science/space museum in the observatory is pretty good too.

[Edited 2014-05-25 18:28:35]

Mike89406

Mon May 26, 2014 9:54 am

Quoting TheGov (Reply 6):

There's a great travel book which is a condensed version of the regular LA travel guide called Top 10 Los Angeles made by Eyewitness Guides if you're interested. It breaks all the touristy categories like Shopping, Dining etc... Into its own top 10 catagories each. It even tells you where you can go celebrity watching if that's you're thing.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0756684595/ref=redir_mdp_mobile

A great scenic drive could be driving on part of the Pacific Coast Highway (HWY 1) between SD and LA. You don't have to drive the whole distance up to LA, however some awesome beaches, towns, and ocean views. It stays close to I-5 which is the main freeway you would be driving to LA anyways.

My daughter likes going up part of the PCH to Newport Beach and stopping at Fashion Island Mall. Then we usually go to Laguna Beach or something.