Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jetblue777
Topic Author

New Delhi Hotel Suggestions

Mon May 26, 2014 12:21 am

Hello everyone,

My family and I are visiting India this coming August. We will be staying in New Delhi and will also be touring the Taj Mahal. I was looking up hotels and the rates are pretty good for some of the top-rated hotels in New Delhi. I went on Trip Advisor and the #1 and #2 ranked hotels are The Leela Palace at first and Shanti Home close at second. The price is about the same, (Shanti Home is technically cheaper but we would be getting two rooms if we were to choose this hotel) Anyways, so are there any a.netters out there who has any suggestions and/or personal experiences with these hotels? Both are also Traveler's Choice Award winners (Leela being in the luxury catergory, and Shanti being in the Small Hotels category)

Leela: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...al_Capital_Territory_of_Delhi.html

Shanti: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...al_Capital_Territory_of_Delhi.html

Besides the obvious fact that one hotel is way bigger than the other, both are almost equally ranked in reviews and amenities. I am really conflicted. If it helps, we would prefer a flexible dining option since we would be arriving late at night and will be leaving early in the morning for our Taj Mahal tour and our onward flight to DXB.

Any further suggestions on any restaurants and places to visit in the area is also welcomed!

Thanks!

jetBlue777   

[Edited 2014-05-25 17:25:50]
It's a cultural thing.

Nimish

RE: New Delhi Hotel Suggestions

Mon May 26, 2014 5:55 am

I would suggest the Leela hotel over the Shanti (Note - I've not stayed at either) - just purely based on what I hear in your post - you're looking for top notch quality and comfort, cost no bar. The Leela certainly fits that description to a T. The Shanti hotel might as well - but I've never heard of them sitting here in BLR, nor from my immediate family/ friends in Delhi.

Have a great trip and drink only bottled water  
Incredible India!

himmat01

Mon May 26, 2014 5:58 am

Between the two, I would opt for The Leela Palace, it is owned and operated by one of the best hotel groups in India. The second advantage is the central location in the diplomatic area. It is closer to the places you would like to visit in Delhi.

You may like to visit the places listed below:-

1. India Gate.
2. The Old Fort.
3. The Red Fort.
4. Qutub Minar.
5. Humayun's Tomb.
6. Lodhi Garden.
7. Connaught Place for shopping and dining.
8. Malls in Saket district.

Suggested Restaurants:-

1. Gulatis- North Indian
2. Sarwana Bhawan-South Indian Vegetarian.
3. Chew-Pan Asia.

I hope you a great stay in India. In case of any query, please feel free to revert.
An airplane might disappoint any pilot but it'll never surprise a good one.

sturmovik

Mon May 26, 2014 10:51 am

If you're adventurous, I'd suggest eating at Karim's near Jama Masjid. The approach to that place is through a crowded and busy market that's quite dirty and may put you off, but the restaurant itself serves clean and really yummy food. A lot of the diplomat crowd eats there.

Regarding shopping, you could also try Dilli Haat, which has a lot of shops/stalls from all over the country. Look at it as a mini India shopping tour, if you will. If you need any bargaining tips, drop a PM. Have fun on your stay in India  
'What's it doing now?'

comorin

Tue May 27, 2014 8:10 am

1. Leela is good, but folks in the know stay at the IMPERIAL. Beautifully redone with a long history, colonial architecture.

2. Other tips: Get lots of rest, keep hydrated. Its late in the season, but you must have Langda mangoes. August is monsoon time up north, so the land will be green and less dusty.

Have a great trip!

fxramper

Sat May 31, 2014 2:36 am

I prefer the Lalit over Leela Palace. Both are good value. Radison Blu and JW Marriott are close to airport and very good offerings in food. The Kebab Factory at Radisson Blu is especially nice. If money isn't' an object book the Trident Gurgaon. Enjoy the Taj. There is a newer highway and it doesn't take as long as it use too.

LFutia

Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:55 am

I like to stay at 3 star hotels. I'm not into super fancy hotels. I play it safe and don't eat the vegetables that have been sliced. DO NOT GET ANY DRINK WITH ICE OR DRINK THE TAP WATER otherwise the porcelain will be your best friend. I've gotten sick 4 out of the 5 times I've gone to India and its not fun.

Leo/ORD
Leo/ORD