Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

zhiao
Topic Author

Bringing Serrano Ham To The US

Wed May 28, 2014 11:11 pm

I am in Spain now and want to bring some ham back. How easy is it to smuggle it? I any tips? Is it really enforced?

airportugal310

RE: Bringing Serrano Ham To The US

Wed May 28, 2014 11:39 pm

I've smuggled more ham back in suitcases than I can even count on two hands from Portugal

You take your chances...if they catch you, they'll confiscate it and send you on your way after a talking to
“They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.”

planemaker

Wed May 28, 2014 11:40 pm

Quoting zhiao (Thread starter):
Is it really enforced?

It was enforced on me. I came back with a half eaten ham sandwich in my briefcase which I planned on eating while waiting for my connecting flight. They treated the sandwich like it was toxic waste - I'm not kidding.  I even asked if I could scarf it down at Customs and they said NO! I can laugh about it now but I was pissed at the time because it was a great sandwich and the Custom's agents were such drama queens.

Good luck!
Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind. - A. Einstein

N1120A

Thu May 29, 2014 12:24 am

Smuggling is illegal and you shouldn't do it.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

zhiao
Topic Author

Thu May 29, 2014 12:27 am

But it's stupid that it's illegal to begin with. Why is it?

ArmitageShanks

Thu May 29, 2014 12:35 am

Quoting zhiao (Reply 4):

I know its not really the same thing but as someone who has a house INFESTED with Brown marmorated stink bugs I see what they might be trying to avoid. They were introduced less than a decade ago and have been a HUGE problem here. I get it that sometimes these rules are silly they are trying to do the right thing most of the time.

Invasive species/bugs/illnesses etc can absolutely wreck habitats not to mention they smell awful!

[Edited 2014-05-28 17:36:47]

Pyrex

Thu May 29, 2014 1:06 am

Is it really enforced?

It is, and they can take it pretty seriously (depending on your port of entry into the U.S.). The only time I deliberately tried to bring something (my grandma usually sneaks some food into my bag without telling me, even though I have asked her not to so as not to get into trouble) was when I went to visit my sister that was living in a town in Alentejo, which is known for its pork products, and a store next to her house was selling the most amazing black pig smoked sausage (paio de porco preto) you can imagine, which I wanted to bring back to the U.S. The only problem is that I am the worst liar in the world, so when the customs officer (past immigration) asked me if I was bringing in any food my mouth said "no" but my sweating and shaking said "you betcha". He told me to go get my bag x-rayed but luckily for me the woman who was supposed to be looking at the screen of the X-Ray machine was busy chatting away with a coworker so missed it. As soon as my bag was within reach I grabbed it and made a run for it. Longest 30 seconds of my life.

Quoting airportugal310 (Reply 1):
You take your chances...if they catch you, they'll confiscate it and send you on your way after a talking to

If you are lucky... they can actually give you pretty big fines, for attempting to lie to them.
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

nickh

Thu May 29, 2014 8:20 am

Oh boy, don't try sneaking any food items past the customs people at IAH. I speak from both personal and sibling experience.

Because of the proximity to so many south American (and other) destinations, IAH customs is extremely picky with imported foodstuffs.

A colleague of mine from Amsterdam was busted for bringing in some home-made Danish (salted) candies - they were loosely wrapped in paper and cloth, and did not have a commercial manufacturers label on them - despite my friend's objections, they made him give up the (small) package and disposed of them.

Then on another occasion, by brother was travelling back from India and decided to sneak in some dried Bombay Duck (fish)* - the customs officers smelled the rather putrid package and made him get rid of it, despite protests.

It can be done - sneaking food items past customs, I mean they won't throw you in jail or anything for trying, but sometimes it just seems not worth the effort.

Maybe you can just have the ham shipped to you from there with a special customs waiver - that way it will arrive around the time that you do, no having to deal with trying to carry it with you.

*Bombay Duck - for those who don't know, this is quite possible the ugliest eel-like fish that you will have ever seen - but it is an acquired taste, if prepared correctly
There is a place in Bombay (Mumbai) and other places in southern India, that basically sun-dry the salted fish (gutted, etc) and sell it as dried strips.
You then cut it into bite-size pieces, deep fry it ghee (clarified butter) and eat the now crunchy (but quite taste) cracklins.
Like I said - an acquired taste.
This type of fish is indigenous to Asian waters, mostly the Indian Ocean, so no chance of finding it here in the states, unless somehow imported w/license or sneaked after it has been dried & cured.

-Nick
"We all have wings, but some of us don't know why..."

falstaff

Thu May 29, 2014 2:51 pm

I have brought my homemade apricot jam, from Germany through DTW and ORD several times without incident. I figured if I got caught I'd play dumb.

Quoting N1120A (Reply 3):
Smuggling is illegal and you shouldn't do it.

But sometimes it's fun. I like sneaking those kinder eggs in from Canada and I don't even like chocolate.

On the US customs form is mentions that you can't bring in snails. I asked a customs officer at DTW if that was really ever an issue because why in the hell would anyone want them. The guy said that they find people brining in snails all the time. YUCK!

You could just buy it in the USA and avoid the problem completely.
http://www.tienda.com/aboutus/retailstore.html
http://www.costco.com/D'Artagnan-18-...-Serrano-Ham.product.11679636.html
http://www.igourmet.com/serrano-ham.asp
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

DocLightning

Thu May 29, 2014 3:03 pm

I am in Spain now and want to bring some ham back. How easy is it to smuggle it? I any tips? Is it really enforced?

Not only that, but you can buy it at COSTCO now. It's no longer banned.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Aesma

Thu May 29, 2014 3:37 pm

Apparently escargots (snails) are also produced in the US.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

falstaff

Thu May 29, 2014 3:58 pm

Quoting Aesma (Reply 10):

I would think so. I have seen them at a lot of restaurants, in the USA. A buddy of mine loves them

There are many food products that are legally imported to the USA and exported from the USA that would probably be illegal to import on your own. I can go to Walmart and Kroger and buy ham imported from Poland, but if I brought home sliced ham from Poland, in my suitcase, I'm sure I'd have a problem.

I have never had any food, in a foreign country, that I wanted to bring home, because I can find anything here, if I look hard enough. I had some Snakehead fish in Thailand and thought "I can't get that at home", but I was wrong. It is an invasive species, in the great lakes and probably sooner or later end up on the dinner table.

The only food item I want that I can't get at home, is Provel cheese. I have to go to St. Louis to get it. Go 100 miles in any direction of St. Louis and nobody has heard of it.

mad99

Thu May 29, 2014 11:14 pm

Quoting falstaff (Reply 8):
I like sneaking those kinder eggs

that's funny
Kinder is not available in the us? why not?

Quoting falstaff (Reply 8):
You could just buy it in the USA and avoid the problem completely.

spanish 'style' ham

I think the reason its banned is because its cured and not cooked.

falstaff

Fri May 30, 2014 12:01 am

Quoting mad99 (Reply 12):

It goes against the Food and drug act of 1938. You can't put toys inside food. In the package yes, but not in the food itself.

I think the reason its banned is because its cured and not cooked.

It isn't banned, you can buy it here. Cured ham is common in the USA.

N1120A

Fri May 30, 2014 1:39 am

Quoting zhiao (Reply 4):

Its illegal to import essentially any meat product to the US, without an import license.

Quoting falstaff (Reply 11):
The only food item I want that I can't get at home, is Provel cheese. I have to go to St. Louis to get it. Go 100 miles in any direction of St. Louis and nobody has heard of it.

That's cause its not real cheese, and kind of overrated. Goes well on pizza, however.

An old food purity law and a consumer safety regulation.

Quoting falstaff (Reply 13):
It goes against the Food and drug act of 1938. You can't put toys inside food. In the package yes, but not in the food itself.

Also, the CPSC has banned them as a choking hazard.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

Pyrex

Fri May 30, 2014 1:43 am

Quoting falstaff (Reply 11):
I have never had any food, in a foreign country, that I wanted to bring home, because I can find anything here, if I look hard enough

I can find most of the Portuguese stuff I would normally be interested in Newark (not the very specialty / regional stuff). I do have to put up with people looking at me like I am insane for voluntarily be willing to set foot in Newark, though, The one thing I just have not been able to find a place in the U.S. to buy, even in Newark, is just not practical to smuggle into the country - melons. For some reasons the melon I am able to eat in Portugal while I am there for the summer (when melons are supposed be in season) is vastly different, much juicier and more refreshing and miles ahead of the flouery, artificial honeydew crap you see in most U.S. supermarkets. When I go on summer vacation to Portugal I just gorge on the stuff, sometimes replacing entire meals with it. Goes well with ham, too, if you want to keep it on topic.  

Even if it wasn't banned some U.S. trial lawyer would probably somehow manage to successfully argue in front of a sympathetic judge that American children are more stupid than children everywhere else in the world and litigate Kinder out of existence.

It isn't banned, you can buy it here. Cured ham is common in the USA.

I think the issue is that there are ways to legally import cured meats (for instance) but the process is complicated and the factories even in Europe need to have FDA certification (which is an expensive process) so the manufacturers who decide to go own that route need a fair amount of scale, which is not always compatible with more high-quality artisanal products. The cured ham you are able to get in the U.S. is likely the more industrial type.

blueflyer

Fri May 30, 2014 5:20 am

Best way is apparently to vacuum seal the meat and declare other items appropriate from the countries you have visited so it doesn't look like you're an amateur trying to pretend you didn't bring back anything from your foreign adventures.

Quoting planemaker (Reply 2):
I came back with a half eaten ham sandwich in my briefcase which I planned on eating while waiting for my connecting flight. They treated the sandwich like it was toxic waste - I'm not kidding.

I guess it really depends on where and when. My mother forgot to eat an apple on a flight into the US and it was found during inspection. The officer told her she could eat it on the spot (her choice) or they'd dispose of it, without further consequences either way.

JJJ

Fri May 30, 2014 6:51 am

Quoting Pyrex (Reply 15):

I think the issue is that there are ways to legally import cured meats (for instance) but the process is complicated and the factories even in Europe need to have FDA certification (which is an expensive process) so the manufacturers who decide to go own that route need a fair amount of scale, which is not always compatible with more high-quality artisanal products. The cured ham you are able to get in the U.S. is likely the more industrial type.

Pretty much this.

The first Spanish hams that got to the US were shipped to the Netherlands for sluaughtering in an FDA-approved facility, then had the carcasses shipped back to Spain for curing.

Nowadays there are a handful of FDA-authorised slaughterers in Spain but prices are so high only the massive industrial manufacturers or the outrageously expensive ones get there.

No way to get a good value.

nickh

Fri May 30, 2014 7:42 am

I ran across this URL in my archives - hope that it will help with the topic of importing food into the United States via mail, etc.

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal/...ational-affairs/importing-products

I have noticed here in Houston's Asian markets (Little India, Little Vietnam, The massive Hong Kong + Asian Markets over on Bellaire/west Houston suburbs) - a lot of the (legal) pre-packaged items that you find on the shelves of these import markets have a bold sticker or otherwise a factory imprint on them, that says something to the effect of "INSIST ON EXPORT LICENSE" or "Check For Export license".
I don't know if that is supposed to protect the consumer or the merchant (or the middlemen) but I always noticed those stickers.

Well, I hope that the above site is useful in some way, if you are considering shipping food items to yourself from overseas, or having someone ship you something on your behalf.

-Nick
"We all have wings, but some of us don't know why..."

Type-Rated

Fri May 30, 2014 8:37 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 14):

Also, the CPSC has banned them as a choking hazard.

What about New Orleans King Cake where there is a toy baby inside of it? These cakes are very popular around Mardi Gras time.

Don't the airlines prevent people from taking these goods on the aircraft before it departs? A friend of mine flew SIN-DTW years ago on NW, he was in F. He said a woman in the seat in front of him brought on board a good sized fish. She just threw it under her seat and kept it there the entire flight. He said about 1/2 way through the flight it began to stink like hell. After he got off the plane he never saw the woman or her fish again. He assumed customs grabbed it. But don't you think an F/A would have told her no fresh fish in the cabin?
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

Birdwatching

Fri May 30, 2014 8:54 am

You realize that a customs violation will cancel and exclude you from Global Entry forever? Is that ham really worth it?

Don't do it.

Soren   
All the things you probably hate about travelling are warm reminders that I'm home

falstaff

Fri May 30, 2014 3:04 pm

The cured ham you are able to get in the U.S. is likely the more industrial type.

Far from industrial. In much of the USA it is called "country ham". I lot of mom & pop places do it., plus bigger outfits.

http://www.countrycuredhams.com/?gclid=CLezi5f1074CFQJqMgodJh4AHg

http://www.newsomscountryham.com/

As a good redneck, from Missouri, I love country ham

Quoting type-rated (Reply 19):
What about New Orleans King Cake where there is a toy baby inside of it? These cakes are very popular around Mardi Gras time

My mother makes that. Making it yourself is not the same as selling it on the open market. Also the Federal government isn't likely enforcing it inside of states. If you were importing King Cake you couldn't put the baby inside, but if some local bakery does it, it is still illegal under federal law, but there is no way to enforce it. It is kind of like a catalytic converter on a car. The federal government requires that it be there. I cut it off, in Michigan (we have no inspection), I drive without it for years. No the federal government has no way to enforce it on an individual or state level. But don't try to import a car without it, if it should have one.

Aesma

Fri May 30, 2014 4:34 pm

Quoting falstaff (Reply 21):
Far from industrial. In much of the USA it is called "country ham". I lot of mom & pop places do it., plus bigger outfits.

http://www.countrycuredhams.com/?gclid=CLezi5f1074CFQJqMgodJh4AHg

http://www.newsomscountryham.com/

As a good redneck, from Missouri, I love country ham

He was talking about what you can get in the US from Portugal.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

DocLightning

Fri May 30, 2014 8:00 pm

The cured ham you are able to get in the U.S. is likely the more industrial type.

Jamon Serrano is available in the USA. Not "cured ham." Jamon serrano. From Spain.

And, believe me, I know my Jamon serrano and the stuff I have been able to buy at Costco and Trader Joe's is the real stuff.

Hideously expensive, yes. But genuine.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

garnetpalmetto

Fri May 30, 2014 8:31 pm

Quoting Aesma (Reply 10):

They are indeed. My mother used to make escargot from time to time - she'd generally get canned (not sure where she could have gotten fresh escargots in Columbia, SC in the '80s and early '90s) and prepare them.

Growing up with a French mother definitely exposed me to things that my young classmates had no idea about. I still remember the horror that crossed the face of a few classmates in 1st or 2nd grade when I mentioned having had rabbit stew for dinner!
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

ROSWELL41

Fri May 30, 2014 10:35 pm

I'd suggest you obey the laws as they are written. Protecting US agriculture is serious business and that is the reason for many of these custom's laws.

Pyrex

Sat May 31, 2014 4:28 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 23):
Trader Joe's is the real stuff.

Hideously expensive, yes. But genuine.

To be fair Trader Joe's could possibly double the price on all their items and still sell them by the truckload, as they are not so much a grocery store but more of a cult. It is the only grocery store where I have ever seen (in NYC) a check-out line that goes all the way around the store, out of the front door and round the block. In some of the New York stores there is a line just to to get in. You walk past it and you think you are in the old days of the Soviet Union.

JoePatroni707

Sat May 31, 2014 9:09 pm

If its Kosher Ham its ok, no worries.

Aesma

Sat May 31, 2014 9:27 pm

Quoting garnetpalmetto (Reply 24):
Growing up with a French mother definitely exposed me to things that my young classmates had no idea about. I still remember the horror that crossed the face of a few classmates in 1st or 2nd grade when I mentioned having had rabbit stew for dinner!

I can understand not finding escargots, frogs, live oysters or offal appetizing, but what's wrong with rabbit ?

DocLightning

Sat May 31, 2014 9:39 pm

Quoting Pyrex (Reply 26):
It is the only grocery store where I have ever seen (in NYC) a check-out line that goes all the way around the store, out of the front door and round the block.

Whole Foods at Union Square, too.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

sprout5199

Sat May 31, 2014 9:41 pm

Quoting JoePatroni707 (Reply 27):
If its Kosher Ham its ok, no worries.

I see what you did there  

Dan in Jupiter

garnetpalmetto

Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:01 pm

Quoting Aesma (Reply 28):
but what's wrong with rabbit ?

For most American children, rabbits are cute little critters you keep as a pet, not a delicious dinner in a red wine sauce with some champignons. It's just not really a hugely common protein over here, especially to feed a kid in elementary school. Likewise for quail.
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

DocLightning

Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:35 pm

Quoting garnetpalmetto (Reply 31):

For most American children, rabbits are cute little critters you keep as a pet, not a delicious dinner in a red wine sauce with some champignons.

And when rabbit is eaten as meat in the US, it's considered a "hick/hillbilly" food, much like squirrel. It's not something that winds up on middle-class tables like it is in Spain and France.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

PacNWjet

Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:53 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 32):
And when rabbit is eaten as meat in the US, it's considered a "hick/hillbilly" food, much like squirrel. It's not something that winds up on middle-class tables like it is in Spain and France.

On the other hand, I have seen rabbit on the menu at some very expensive high-end restaurants in the United States. It is also found on the menus of restaurants in the U.S. that style themselves as "bistros."

comorin

Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:58 am

Jamon Serrano? Too mainstream! Real men eat Jamon Iberico, pigs fed on acorns...

PanHAM

Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:20 am

Quoting planemaker (Reply 2):
I was pissed at the time because it was a great sandwich and the Custom's agents were such drama queens.

Quoting comorin (Reply 34):
Jamon Serrano? Too mainstream! Real men eat Jamon Iberico, pigs fed on acorns...

finally, after 33 Posts, the real gourmet shows up.

Now, everyone knows that the US (and the EU as well) does not want agricultural or most other Foods imported uncontrolled. Even my wife now does not hide a Ferrero kiss in mysuitcase when I go on a biz trip. It would be a double offence, chocolate AND alcohol. probably would go to jail for one praline.

If caught in the EU they just take it from you, in Zero tolerance US they ban you for life which ois a gross over reaction.

Conclusion, don't even think about trying, the Beagle Brigade is on vigilance and when I am asked at JFK by a customs officer "Do you have any Wurst" I usually tell him that I know where the German butcher is and that I hunger for Pastrami anyyhow while in the big apple.
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

comorin

Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:49 pm

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 35):

Thanks!  

Which is your favorite German Ham if I may ask?

JJJ

Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:03 pm

Quoting comorin (Reply 34):

Iberico is a pig breed. Serrano can be any pig breed.

Both iberico and serrano can be Bellota (acorn-fed) or not.

PanHAM

Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:32 pm

Quoting comorin (Reply 36):

Which is your favorite German Ham if I may ask?

impossible to tell, there is such a large variety. Best are from a local butcher who does the curing himself. There is an annual booklet of the 500 best butcher Shops in Germany.
But then, local farmers markets especially in the south like in Freiburg may have excellent hams Go to the stand which has the longest queue .
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

StuckInCA

Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:24 pm

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 38):
There is an annual booklet of the 500 best butcher Shops in Germany.

Does that make it onto the internet? I'm intrigued!

comorin

Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:24 pm

Quoting JJJ (Reply 37):

Thank you, great to know that. At my favorite Taperia in NYC, Iberico is very expensive and only available on special demand.

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 38):

Since I'm based in NYC, schade! Is asking for Westfaler or Schwarzwalder too generic?

Given your name, I defer to your knowledge  

JJJ

Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:09 pm

Quoting comorin (Reply 40):
At my favorite Taperia in NYC, Iberico is very expensive and only available on special demand.

Given how hard (read expensive) it is to get an import license my guess is that particular iberico is also bellota.

I just wanted to highlight that the breed (iberico or not) and feeding method are two different things.

The most expensive pork products are bellota, that is, free ranging pigs feeding on whatever they find (mostly acorns but also grass, mushrooms, etc).

The next cathegory is recebo, free ranging pigs that needed supplemental feed (mostly cereal) to get to the ideal slaughtering weight.

And finally cebo, which is your regular farm with regular feed.

There are excellent non-Iberico hams, and there are excellent non-bellota hams, but an iberico de bellota is a pretty much guaranteed to be excellent (though not always good value). That applies also to the excellent presuntos from just across the border in the Alentejo (same pig breed, same climate, same acorns).

For good non-Iberico hams you have Trévelez and Teruel (though you need to be picky with the latter since there's a lot of mass-produced stuff, too). And if you happen to visit Mallorca try their black pig sobrasada, their climate is too humid for proper curing and for some reason they cannot call their black pigs Iberico (even though the breed is every bit as ancient as Ibericos from Salamanca or Extremadura) but it's an amazing product.

PanHAM

Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:37 am

Quoting comorin (Reply 40):
Since I'm based in NYC, schade! Is asking for Westfaler or Schwarzwalder too generic?

There isw (hopefully still is) a German butcher at Grand Central Station in the Food area. They are from Luebeck and will certainly have Holsteiner Schinken. Try Westfaelischen or Schwarzwaelder, they are all good, even when mass produced.

ZThat butchers products are genuine German. ZThey even carry the needed Special sausages for Cale, the Pinkelwurst and Westfaelingers.

As to the top 500 - try for "Feinschmecker" it is a Gourmet maganzine, they issue the listings, also for bakeries, Hotels, Restaurants
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

comorin

Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:37 am

Quoting JJJ (Reply 41):

Thank you for a most interesting and enlightening 'tour de force' ! I will keep this in mind on my next tapas binge. Again, much appreciate your detailed points, you are clearly a lover of good food!

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 42):

Not sure if that butcher is still there, I noticed they had a clearance sale the last time I peeked in. Thank you for your recommendations. I suspect I will be eating a lot of ham this summer!

PanHAM

Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:05 am

If they gave up there is always Schaller & Weber, although they are reduced to one shop in the city, I believe. I used to buy at their Ridgewood Ave shop when I lived in Forest Hills.

But they have an on-line shop and then there is a Company in Dallas selling German Food on-line
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!