Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

United Airline
Topic Author

The Difference Between Discos And Clubs?

Fri May 30, 2014 5:36 am

I am 32 and I have passed the stage of clubbing. Nevertheless there is a difference between clubbing at clubs nowadays then going to discos in the 80s/90s. Can anyone tell me the difference?

Haven't done both for many years as I am too busy. I'd rather go to a quiet lounge in a hotel and enjoy some nice drinks with some nice live band music.

[Edited 2014-05-29 22:37:52]

Type-Rated

RE: The Difference Between Discos And Clubs?

Fri May 30, 2014 8:52 am

Back in the 70's I often heard of gay bars being referred to as "clubs". If you were in a strange town and wanted to visit the local gay bar you could always ask the guy at the hotel front desk "Where can I find the local club?" You'd then get directions.

A disco is usually where there is a DJ & dancing. A club could be a quieter bar with maybe a small group or singer providing music. Or maybe even a small bar with a jukebox. For me, I've called places either a disco or a bar. And a bar could be anything that serves alcohol and has a door on it.
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

United Airline
Topic Author

Fri May 30, 2014 9:03 am

So when youngsters say 'let's go clubbing' what do they mean? Does that mean that they are going to discos? DOUBT IT.

Manhattan Disco is a very famous disco in Hong Kong but a lot of clubbing young kids have no idea what it is.

akiss20

Fri May 30, 2014 11:51 am

Quoting type-rated (Reply 1):
A disco is usually where there is a DJ & dancing. A club could be a quieter bar with maybe a small group or singer providing music. Or maybe even a small bar with a jukebox. For me, I've called places either a disco or a bar. And a bar could be anything that serves alcohol and has a door on it.

A club is mostly oriented towards dancing and loud music. Clubs typically have a primary dance floor and music loud enough to inhibit most any conversation. I wasn't around in the 70s (born in the late 90s) but from what I can tell, a club is the modern equivalent to a disco, with the primary focus being dancing. Clubs often have some sitting room but it is somewhat limited in my experience.

A more trendy, less dance oriented place would be called a lounge now imo. The focus there is typically sitting with friends, drinking, and having music in the background (although often pretty loud) but with little dancing.
Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are

ImperialEagle

Fri May 30, 2014 12:19 pm

Quoting type-rated (Reply 1):
Back in the 70's I often heard of gay bars being referred to as "clubs". If you were in a strange town and wanted to visit the local gay bar you could always ask the guy at the hotel front desk "Where can I find the local club?" You'd then get directions.

That's funny. I never thought about it in the context of sexual orientation. I was always ready to party anyway and I didn't care. I guess I was not easily intimidated or too young and 'ignunt to worry about it?

Whenever I speak of disco's in the '70's to young people I get that look of "what is he talking about". I guess they envision dinosaurs roaming the earth or something.   
So when I think of a "disco" I think "dancing" and when I think of a "club" I am thinking it could be anything from strippers to a low-key place to meet people for a drink and-------.
Funny how time changes everything!  

[Edited 2014-05-30 06:11:23]
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough!"

rfields5421

Fri May 30, 2014 12:38 pm

Thoughts from another dinosaur

My memory of the 70s was that a Disco was focused on being able to dance. If you were going to a disco - the primary intent was dancing.

Clubs were more focused on meeting friends, conversation, and not a lot of dancing - if any. Jazz, blues and folk music were popular club types.

But really the two terms seemed interchangeable then and since.
Not all who wander are lost.

einsteinboricua

Fri May 30, 2014 1:13 pm

Not really of the club/disco generation, but I was under the impression that:
-Disco is a place to dance and have fun...no norms of any sort
-Club is more oriented towards a controlled setting, perhaps catering to a specific kind (Gentleman's Club, for example), with music and alcohol, but not necessarily a dance floor.

Of course, the difference today is that discos are extinct and clubs are only after you pass security at airports   
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

Aesma

Fri May 30, 2014 5:13 pm

No mention of the term "nightclub" ?

Disco comes from discothèque and in France the latter is still used, you'll definitely find places to go to by googling it, however most of those places will call themselves "clubs", so one word has pretty much replaced the other, the places staying the same, loud music and people sweating. Well, a big difference from my first experiences there as a teen is that smoking is illegal now. Giving out alcohol for free too. Naked ladies are still allowed so that's good.

I'm not sure what young people say when they mention clubs nowadays, but a common word is "boîte" meaning box, "on va en boîte ce soir" "we're going to the box tonight", strange I know.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

einsteinboricua

Fri May 30, 2014 5:47 pm

Quoting Aesma (Reply 7):
I'm not sure what young people say when they mention clubs nowadays, but a common word is "boîte" meaning box, "on va en boîte ce soir" "we're going to the box tonight", strange I know.

Jukebox? What's the French word for Jukebox?
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

IH8BY

Fri May 30, 2014 6:46 pm

In the UK, generally people would say they're going to a 'nightclub' or 'club' rather than a 'disco'. I think the word 'disco' tends to refer more to an event than a place here now. You might have a disco at a wedding or office Christmas party, but you'd go out to a club.

A nightclub will typically serve alcohol, play music (different varieties, electronic dance music being most common) and, increasingly, focus on the 'experience' (signature drinks, VIP service etc), not just the music. You'll usually have to pay to enter.

Where a place describes itself as a disco, I would probably expect it to be focused on either 'disco' music or a broader pop genre possibly involving chart hits, 'cheese', or even soul.

Also worth noting a lot of bars are starting to take on some characteristics of nightclubs (dance floors, entry fee etc.).

The nightclub I went to as a student (reportedly Europe's worst) would probably merit the description 'disco'.
Have you ever felt like you could float into the sky / like the laws of physics simply don't apply?

Aesma

Fri May 30, 2014 7:02 pm

Quoting einsteinboricua (Reply 8):
Jukebox? What's the French word for Jukebox?

Nope, jukebox is the same in French, or juke-box. Boîte comes from "boîte de nuit" "night box" which dates from the early 20th century, so before discothèque. What is funny is that "boîte" also describes your place of work.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

United Airline
Topic Author

Fri May 30, 2014 7:04 pm

In Hong Kong or Japan or Taiwan, a night club refers to something not very well behaved. LOL

I realize that there were little casual pick ups or meeting friends at discos in the old days. Discos were a lot more luxurious back then which nowadays youngsters pay no attention towards luxury

ImperialEagle

Fri May 30, 2014 9:33 pm

Quoting United Airline (Reply 11):
Discos were a lot more luxurious back then

Oh lawdy. You should have seen the Sweet Gum Head in Atlanta. Or the Cove!   

Type-Rated

Fri May 30, 2014 9:59 pm

Quoting United Airline (Reply 2):
So when youngsters say 'let's go clubbing' what do they mean? Does that mean that they are going to discos? DOUBT IT.

This is an easy one. It means they are going out to clubs/bars/discos etc. Usually you go to several in one night. You start at one, are you having a good time? No? Go to another, repeat until you are satisfied with the surroundings or out of time whichever comes first.

I agree, the term "disco" is kind of 70's talk. After the "great disco is uncool" attitude change in 1979 people stopped calling those places that.

United Airline
Topic Author

Sat May 31, 2014 3:48 am

In the old days people stick to one a night. Youngsters don't seem to bother about the decoration or whether or not a place is luxurious

LFutia

Sat May 31, 2014 1:48 pm

I just care if theres beer and if I can smoke in the place or not. If not then I have no problem going outside and also the beer has to be not expensive. Here in Chicago you get used to paying 5-6 dollars for a bottle of beer.

Leo/ORD
Leo/ORD

RyanairGuru

Sat May 31, 2014 1:56 pm

Quoting akiss20 (Reply 3):
(born in the late 90s) but from what I can tell, a club is the modern equivalent to a disco, with the primary focus being dancing

That's my understanding as well.

"Disco" is so 1970s its not even funny. I actually cringe when I hear the word.

Quoting akiss20 (Reply 3):
A more trendy, less dance oriented place would be called a lounge now imo

Or simply a "bar". If someone invites me to a bar I understand that to be a place where we can sit and have a chat in relatively mellow surroundings (as in a cocktail bar, e.g.)
Worked Hard, Flew Right

United Airline
Topic Author

Sat May 31, 2014 6:53 pm

Not at all. According to my parents discos in the 70s were full of fun. Would really love to go to a disco with 70s's style. Nowadays clubs suck and they don't go

I prefer discos in the old days too

sprout5199

Sat May 31, 2014 10:00 pm

Quoting United Airline (Thread starter):
discos in the 80s/90s.

Thats funny. Discos died about 1981.

But all the "discos" at that time had to to was cut down the mirror ball, stop playing KC and the Sunshine band, and now they were a "Club". I am 47, a child of the Eighties, and have never been to a disco per say, been to many dance clubs that were one Chaka Khan song away from being disco. Not that I knew how to dance (I was born a poor white child), just that's where all the honeys went. And since I was a Sailor, after being shot down hundreds of times, me and my buddies would go to the Gentlemen's Club (titty bar) and drink overpriced drinks, see some nice(and some not so nice) sights, and really enjoy life.

Dan in Jupiter

ImperialEagle

Sat May 31, 2014 10:14 pm

Quoting LFutia (Reply 15):
Here in Chicago you get used to paying 5-6 dollars for a bottle of beer.

Ridiculous!
What ever happened to .50 cents a mug?   

Quoting type-rated (Reply 13):
Usually you go to several in one night. You start at one, are you having a good time? No? Go to another, repeat until you are satisfied with the surroundings or out of time whichever comes first.

sprout5199

Sat May 31, 2014 10:21 pm

Quoting ImperialEagle (Reply 19):

Really? Like wondering where the $10 BJ went. BTRT(been there received that VS BTDT just sayin)

Dan in Jupiter

LFutia

Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:51 am

Ridiculous!

Not really I prefer imports over domestic any day. I currently have Tyskie in my fridge.

Leo/ORD
Leo/ORD

smittyone

Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:43 pm

Quoting LFutia (Reply 21):
Not really I prefer imports over domestic any day.

Not to get too far off track, but I'd say that you're drinking the wrong domestics then  

Here in the US we're enjoying quite the renaissance of quality brews...if you steer clear of the big companies churning out pisswater by the supertanker load you can enjoy a beverage that is as good or better than anything else the world has to offer!

Edit: I see you favor the pale lager (Tyskie), so I can see your point then. I'm an IPA fan so my statement above may not apply.

[Edited 2014-06-01 10:47:51]

Braybuddy

Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:58 am

Quoting type-rated (Reply 13):
After the "great disco is uncool" attitude change in 1979 people stopped calling those places that.

You've hit the nail on the head there! There was so much rubbish recorded under the label "disco" towards the end of the '70s that the name became toxic and was quickly dropped and replaced by the much cooler-sounding "club" and "clubbing". No-one in their right mind would have called a club a "disco" from the early '80s on.

There is basically no difference between the two: any good disco or club is typically a late-night pick-up joint with dancefloors, flashing lights and loud music, where alcohol and illegal drugs are usually consumed. And some of the better ones tolerate all sorts of non-dancing activities in certain rooms . . .  

United Airline
Topic Author

Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:20 am

Quoting sprout5199 (Reply 18):

But all the "discos" at that time had to to was cut down the mirror ball, stop playing KC and the Sunshine band, and now they were a "Club". I am 47, a child of the Eighties, and have never been to a disco per say, been to many dance clubs that were one Chaka Khan song away from being disco. Not that I knew how to dance (I was born a poor white child), just that's where all the honeys went. And since I was a Sailor, after being shot down hundreds of times, me and my buddies would go to the Gentlemen's Club (titty bar) and drink overpriced drinks, see some nice(and some not so nice) sights, and really enjoy life.

Dan in Jupiter

But I have seen many in Hong Kong and USA in the 80s.

What do people do in clubs now? Disco dance?

Superfly

Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:45 am

Quoting einsteinboricua (Reply 6):
-Disco is a place to dance and have fun...no norms of any sort
-Club is more oriented towards a controlled setting, perhaps catering to a specific kind

- A good disco has a floor that lights up.

(I was born a poor white child)

So was John Travolta.
You can't use that as an excuse. Now get out on the dance-floor an dance!

But all the "discos" at that time had to to was cut down the mirror ball, stop playing KC and the Sunshine band,

I still have my mirror ball. It used to be in a disco in San Francisco.
The good discos didn't bother with KC and the Sunshine band. That was kids music.

been to many dance clubs that were one Chaka Khan song away from being disco

Now you're talkin'!  
I love Chaka Khan! She put on a great show here in Bangkok 2 years ago. She still has it.
I've always liked her music.

Quoting Braybuddy (Reply 23):
There was so much rubbish recorded under the label "disco" towards the end of the '70s that the name became toxic and was quickly dropped and replaced by the much cooler-sounding "club"

Luckily I didn't live around the anti-disco crowd. There was a lot of great music that came out during the disco era. Much of it overlapped with R&B/Soul and funk music of the time.

Quoting United Airline (Reply 24):
What do people do in clubs now? Disco dance?

Bury their heads on their smartphones an send SMS.
Bring back the Concorde

United Airline
Topic Author

Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:04 am

I thought everyone uses whatsapp now not SMS.

Manhattan Disco in Hong Kong is extremely luxurious. Seems that youngsters don't pay attention to that. Why?

RyanairGuru

Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:16 am

Quoting smittyone (Reply 22):
Not to get too far off track, but I'd say that you're drinking the wrong domestics then  

Here in the US we're enjoying quite the renaissance of quality brews...if you steer clear of the big companies churning out pisswater by the supertanker load you can enjoy a beverage that is as good or better than anything else the world has to offer!

I agree wholeheartedly. While the major brewers are making the same watered down cats piss as ever, there are some truly phenomenal microbrews in the US these days. And give me a good local microbrew any day over some big-brand import. What I most like about microbrews is their local character. You can drive into a new town and drink a beer that nobody has ever heard of 5 miles outside of the city limits. This means that you can celebrate diversity and local craftsmanship, something the major brews killed a very, very long time ago.

I just hope that the microbrew culture catches on in Australia as it has in the USA.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

Superfly

Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:19 am

Quoting United Airline (Reply 26):
I thought everyone uses whatsapp now not SMS.

Same thing. My point was that they're heads are buried in their smartphones.

Manhattan Disco in Hong Kong is extremely luxurious. Seems that youngsters don't pay attention to that. Why?

Clubs here in Asia are still very posh or at least attempt to be upscale.
Clubs back in the US an Europe are trashy by comparison.
Here in Asia, locals dress up or at least wear business casual when they go out on a night on the town. In the West, the younger generation wants to look like low-class thugs with saggy pants an exposed tattoos.

In the 1970s, dudes wore white polyester an the ladies worse evening gowns. The 1980s was pastel Miami Vice suits and the ladies wore lace outfits.People dressed up more back then.
Same can be said about airline travel - today vs. back then.
Bring back the Concorde

sprout5199

Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:46 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 25):
You can't use that as an excuse. Now get out on the dance-floor an dance!

Well I am at the age that I really dont give a rats a$$ what anybody thinks, but being that age, I would most likely break a hip or something. Help I've fallen and can't get up.

I love Chaka Khan!

I was always partial to Shannon myself. Seen her on Ft Lauderdale Beach, Spring Break 1984. Back when Ft Liquordale was the place to be during spring break. And living 50 miles north, was there every weekend.

Dan in Jupiter

dc9northwest

Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:51 pm

luxurious

The point, AFAIK, is to "get wasted". So I don't see why it should be luxurious. You'll have people throwing up anyway.

I think cheap>luxury in this case.

Quoting Superfly (Reply 28):
People dressed up more back then.

The point, AFAIK, is to be as undressed as possible without contracting a pregnancy...

ImperialEagle

Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:04 pm

Quoting sprout5199 (Reply 29):
I am at the age that I really dont give a rats a$$ what anybody thinks, but being that age, I would most likely break a hip or something. Help I've fallen and can't get up.

Back when Ft Liquordale was the place to be during spring break. And living 50 miles north, was there every weekend.

I used to run the gauntlet between the Marlin Beach's Disco at night and the Yankee Clipper's beachside bar during the day. Both places were pretty tacky, hell, Ft. Liquordale was pretty seedy back then----especially during spring break. I saw some 'sho 'nuff crazy shit! Anyway, lots of fond memories.

Did you drive down from Zero Beach?

rutankrd

Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:31 pm

Quoting United Airline (Thread starter):

I am 32 and I have passed the stage of clubbing. Nevertheless there is a difference between clubbing at clubs nowadays then going to discos in the 80s/90s. Can anyone tell me the difference?

Haven't done both for many years as I am too busy. I'd rather go to a quiet lounge in a hotel and enjoy some nice drinks with some nice live band music.

By definition the difference is in the name .

A Club infers a membership scheme is operated where for a fee additional benefits ensue.
Such as reduced price/free entrance nights .Invitation events such as live performances.

A disco is simply a dance and drinking palace.

Least it was in my youth and student days !

I was an early club member of the world famous Haçienda FAC51 club in Manchester - That was a club !

Superfly

Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:36 pm

I was always partial to Shannon myself.

Not a fair comparison. Shannon is a 1 hit wonder. Chaka Khan is a well re-known vocalist/songwriter who's career has spans 4 decades an still performs. She has over a dozen albums an dozens of hits. Very talented artist that's worked with the best of the best session musicians in the industry.
I particularly like her music with Rufus.

Quoting dc9northwest (Reply 30):
The point, AFAIK, is to "get wasted".

Back then, the point was to get laid.
Bring back the Concorde

ImperialEagle

Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:37 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 33):
I particularly like her music with Rufus.

the point was to get laid.

Yes. "Wasted" came with the territory sometimes!  

falstaff

Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:18 pm

When I was in college we could get 25 cent Stroh's drafts, on Tuesday nights.

Quoting smittyone (Reply 22):
if you steer clear of the big companies churning out pisswater by the supertanker load you can enjoy a beverage that is as good or better than anything else the world has to offer!

A lot of imports aren't exactly high quality in their country of origin. I love seeing people in the USA and Canada think Stella is top of the line, but it is the cheapest thing at Tesco in the UK. As someone who has traveled a lot in Europe I can tell you that a lot of continental European mass produced beer is very much like North American mass produced beer. The average beer swiller in Europe is not pounding 9% beer made by monks with his buddies after work. There are a lot of great beers in Europe, that are not imported here, but we have many great craft beers that are not exported there. Closer to home we get people who think beer from Canada is better than US made beer. I have friends who refuse to believe that Labatt Blue takes two weeks to make and uses corn syrup. I tell them, drive up to London, Ontario, take the tour and see for yourself.

Back then, the point was to get laid.

I still thought that was the point. That is the only reason I went to "dance clubs" in college.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

BN747

Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:56 am

They did?

No one told the operators from Hong Kong to LA to NYC to Athens...Studio 54 anyone?

A disco is where the 'music played' ...was strictly aimed at filling the dance floor with couples engaging in fast paced steps (yes, even sexually suggested ones). Just like men enjoy 'women dancers' (as in strip clubs, burlesque, belly dancing) - women in discos loved men who break into some serious moves, it was just as sexually arousing to them as a male in a stripclub. That's why it was easy to 'score with women' if you could dance..even fat dudes were pulling chicks.

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

sprout5199

Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:37 pm

Quoting ImperialEagle (Reply 31):
Did you drive down from Zero Beach?

Came from North Palm Beach--Jupiter in fact. Double Roads was our beach.

Quoting ImperialEagle (Reply 31):
I used to run the gauntlet between the Marlin Beach's Disco at night and the Yankee Clipper's beachside bar during the day. Both places were pretty tacky, hell, Ft. Liquordale was pretty seedy back then----especially during spring break. I saw some 'sho 'nuff crazy shit! Anyway, lots of fond memories.

It was great. The Button, the Candy Store, Penrods, and of course Art Stock's Playpen South. Most memories are clouded by Long Island Iced Teas.

Not a fair comparison. Shannon is a 1 hit wonder.

True but put on a Great show on the beach.  

Dan in Jupiter

Type-Rated

Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:24 pm

Actually, most people who care about such things say it died when Steve Dahl had a Disco Demolition Night which took place on Thursday, July 12, 1979 at Chicago's Comisky Park. Dahl blew up a huge stack of disco records and the crowd went wild. They started tearing seats from the stands and the whole thing just broke out into a riot. Police riot squads were called in to restore order to the park. Not long afterwards radio stations began dropping the disco format.

But mega discos like 'The Bistro" in Chicago soldiered on for a few more years as they still attracted large crowds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Dahl

- A good disco has a floor that lights up.

You got that right. Even "The Lighthouse" in Lake Charles, La had one!

Superfly

Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:44 am

Quoting type-rated (Reply 38):
Actually, most people who care about such things say it died when Steve Dahl had a Disco Demolition Night which took place on Thursday, July 12, 1979 at Chicago's Comisky Park. Dahl blew up a huge stack of disco records and the crowd went wild. They started tearing seats from the stands and the whole thing just broke out into a riot. Police riot squads were called in to restore order to the park. Not long afterwards radio stations began dropping the disco format.

I vaguely remember that and I was living near Chicago at the time. We still hung on to disco until the early 80s. Disco transitioned in to funk. Early 80s dance music is an extension of disco.

Quoting sprout5199 (Reply 37):
True but put on a Great show on the beach.

Oh I can imagine.
Bring back the Concorde

ImperialEagle

Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:17 pm

North Palm Beach

Yeah. My mother used to have a place on County Line Road near the beach. Those were the days!

Most memories are clouded by Long Island Iced Teas.

Now you're 'talkin! Loved 'em!
I can't recall a specific place in Palm Beach other than my mother's house where I could get good one's.
There was a place in downtown Atlanta years ago called "Gregorey's" (I think it later became the "Cheeta"). The bartender that usually worked 'happy hour" made the best damned Long Island Iced Teas I EVER drank!   
A bunch of us used to walk down Spring Street to have some "tea" after work and end up gassed. We would have to call the guys on the night shift to come and get us with a six-door and we would stagger in the back door at work and head for the dorm to fall out and recover! Too funny. I haven't thought about those days in years!

Quoting type-rated (Reply 38):
mega discos like 'The Bistro" in Chicago soldiered on for a few more years as they still attracted large crowds.
Quoting Superfly (Reply 39):
Early 80s dance music is an extension of disco.

Yes. Disco took a long time to die off. The problem was it seemed to coincide with the AIDS Holocaust. It was a terrible time.

Superfly

Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:21 pm

Quoting ImperialEagle (Reply 40):
Yes. Disco took a long time to die off.

It never completely died. In fact, it made a comeback in the 1990s.

Quoting ImperialEagle (Reply 40):
The problem was it seemed to coincide with the AIDS Holocaust. It was a terrible time.

You can say the same about punk and new wave.
Even though AIDS was already around, no one knew about it until about 1981.
Bring back the Concorde