Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AyostoLeon

RE: Self Identify From A Place You Are Not From?

Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:13 am

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 49):
I think asking for country of birth is a relatively recent change,

I filled in an online application for renewal in January 2013 and I think the question must have been asked then because the country appears on the form (off which I kept a copy for my records). The process then was you filled in the form, printed it off and then took it to the post office, paid the fee, had biometric photos taken, details checked and they would cancel the old passport. Ten days later the new passport arrived.

[Edited 2014-06-05 04:16:43]
The person with no dignity eats his dinner twice

Kiwirob

Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:31 am

Quoting AyostoLeon (Reply 50):
Ten days later the new passport arrived.

10 days, that's a wait, I applied on a Saturday and recieved notice that my passport was in the post with a tracking number on Monday morning. NZ Department of Internal Affairs in London rock, I didn't even need to order express delivery, why would you need to when standard is so quick.

AyostoLeon

Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:53 am

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 51):

Sadly neither our passport office nor Australia Post operate 24/7 365. While there is a passport office in Perth I am not sure if they actually produce the passports there and their hours are 8.30 am - 4.00 pm Monday to Friday only. You can go in but you need to telephone for an appointment first. Even then they say their commitment is to deliver within 10 days or, for an extra fee, two days.
The person with no dignity eats his dinner twice

Viscount724

Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:48 pm

Quoting falstaff (Reply 2):
I have spent time around Toronto too and know exactly what you mean about it being very international, even though many of those international people are Canadian citizens.

I high percentage of foreign-born Canadian citizens have dual nationality (assuming their country of origin permits it; most do, some don't) and have two passports.

Quoting YVRLTN (Reply 39):
Hey, its summer now - and supposed to be the best summer ever. I can live with a few months of rain for our summers. And most Canadians would die for our wet winters rather than their -30 with several feet of snow winters.

I grew up in Edmonton where I spent my first 19 years, then moved to Vancouver where I lived for 21 years (in two stretches of 3 years and 18 years punctuated by 3 years in Calgary). After my 18 continuous years in YVR I was transferred back to YYC where I lived again for 6 years before moving to Switzerland.

When I moved to YYC the second time I thought it might be difficult adjusting again to the cold winters after my long spell in YVR but I actually came to prefer the cold but usually mostly sunny and dry winters over the wet and gray skies of Vancouver. And YYC winters are so variable due to the proximity to the Rockies and the frequent Chinook winds that it can be -25C one day and +10C the next. I also recall a couple of winters in YYC in the early '90s when there was no snow at Christmas, which was never the case when I was growing up in Edmonton.

Aesma

Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:50 pm

Quoting desertjets (Reply 12):
So I think in answer to the OP we (Americans) have a peculiar obsession with race/ethnicity.

As proven a couple replies down :

Quoting aloha73g (Reply 15):
I remember in elementary school pretty much every year we would all stand up and list our ethnic backgrounds. I had a friend in elementary school who it seemed was 1/16th of 16 different ethnicities and she knew them all...Hawaiian-Chinese-Spanish-Portuguese-Hawaiian-Japanese-Filipino-Scottish Tahitian-French-Puerto Rican-German-English....

Doing this in France would probably get the teacher in trouble ! Here it's all about being French and "forgetting" your roots, well it's not brainwashing or anything like that, but what is emphasized is France and being French.

That's how we had a president whose father was Hungarian and it was hardly mentioned, and now a Prime Minister who is Spanish and only naturalized French at 20. We also had a president born in Germany and it didn't cause any trouble at the time, there was no doubt he was French with his way of talking like an aristocrat !
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

johns624

Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:04 pm

Looking at other current threads, it seems like there are more than a few Americans who identify more with Israel than their own country...

vhqpa

Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:00 am

Better late than never but I'll add my AUD 0.02

Basically everyone I've met when asked would answer with something like "I'm Australian, but have ________ Heritage."

In my case It's quite interesting on both sides of the family my great grandparents were the most recent ancestors to migrate to Australia but I can claim heritage to as far as I'm aware England, Scottish, Irish, Spanish, Chinese, Filipino and Aboriginal Australian. I actually have a very Scottish surname but with olive skin look anything but. From time to time I get asked my background and I'll either say "I'm Australian" "I'm from the Territory" or "I was born in Darwin" although if I get asked specifically what country I'm from and I wan't to mess with their heads I'll say something like "I'm from Nyul Nyul Country" That always gets an interesting look.
"There you go ladies and gentleman we're through Mach 1 the speed of sound no bumps no bangs... CONCORDE"

n229nw

Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:25 am

My father is 1/3 Martian and 2/3 from the Sirius star cluster. He does smell of elderberries and my mother is a hamster. I identify fully as Kazakh because of %^%$holes Uzbekistan.
All Glory to the Hypnotoad!

vikkyvik

Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:04 am

Quoting n229nw (Reply 57):
My father is 1/3 Martian and 2/3 from the Sirius star cluster. He does smell of elderberries and my mother is a hamster. I identify fully as Kazakh because of %^%$holes Uzbekistan.

Drunk poster is drunk.  
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

seb146

Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:09 am

Working with native Mexicans and having World Cup going on is very interesting in regards to this topic. When World Cup began, I have been paying attention, so they have been asking me who I am a fan of. I am honest and say Mexico and Germany, since my grandfather was from Germany and my friends and co-workers are from Mexico. And because the United States won't last long...
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!