Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

victrola
Topic Author

Qatar And The 2022 World Cup

Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:05 pm

It looks like the awarding of Qatar has become quite a controversy with the allegations of bribery and corruption. Could Sepp Blatter and FIFA possibly be corrupt?

What are your thoughts on why Qatar won and the possibility of the World Cup being taken away from them?

petertenthije

RE: Qatar And The 2022 World Cup

Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:11 pm

It's a public secret that FIFA is corrupt. I fully support taking away the WC from Qatar. But not because of the bribery. Neither because it gets warm in summer. The main reason should be because of the 100s, if not 1000s, of workers that have died and are still dieing building the venues. That's should be the real outrage.
The first thing to remember is always treat your kite like you treat your woman.
Get inside her five times a day and take her to heaven and back!
Lord Flashheart, 1989

MadameConcorde

Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:54 pm

Quoting petertenthije (Reply 1):
The main reason should be because of the 100s, if not 1000s, of workers that have died and are still dieing building the venues.

Fact.

Links.

Qatar government admits almost 1,000 fatalities among migrants
Report calls for changes to kafala system that ties workers to their employers, among other reforms

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...r-admits-deaths-in-migrant-workers

Wow!

VIDEO: Qatar accused of working 1,200 people to death in £39billion building bonanza for 2022 World Cup
An investigation by the Mirror into 2022 World Cup host revealed horrific exploitation of migrant workers, who are forced to live in squalor

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-n...22-world-cup-qatar-accused-3303458

Wow!

Qatar: End corporate exploitation of migrant construction workers

http://www.amnesty.org/en/news/qatar...nt-construction-workers-2013-11-17

Wow!

The Shockingly Awful Living Conditions Of Construction Workers In Qatar Before The 2022 World Cup

http://www.businessinsider.com/qatar...world-cup-worker-conditions-2014-6

Wow!

These are just a few articles among many others.

That the 2022 Football World Cup be removed from Qatar would be very welcome news.

There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

romeobravo

Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:07 pm

From day one I don't think there's ever been any serious doubt that there was corruption afoot. The decision to host it in Qatar was simply too absurd.

I think it's more likely to be scrapped now than not - especially if the sponsors get irate.

The Russia WC bid was probably corrupt too. The voting pattern for both tournaments wildly defied logic. England has been adjudged to have the best bid for the 2018 cup and got eliminated in the first round with only 2 votes (one of which was presumably from the English voter Geoff Thompson). Now you can accuse me of sour grapes if you like, but 1 vote from 21 voters for objectively the best bid makes no sense.

You can see the voting patterns here

[Edited 2014-06-10 12:14:13]

scbriml

Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:16 pm

Fifa in corruption scandal... in other news, the sun is expected to rise tomorrow.

Unfortunately, because England is so hated within Fifa, the fact that the Qatar bid corruption has been uncovered by an English newspaper, it will be widely discredited within Fifa and not given the attention it should have. Septic Bladder has already said all the claims against Fifa are simply "racist".

Whitewash manufacturers have been put on full alert to increase production in time for the Qatar Corruption investigation report being released.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

Osubuckeyes

Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:23 pm

Quoting victrola (Thread starter):
Could Sepp Blatter and FIFA possibly be corrupt?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlJEt2KU33I

As it has been said Fifa it is widely known that Fifa is corrupt. My guess is that it goes even deeper than just world cup bids. The lack of adding a second referee, or technological advancements to assist referee decisions says to me that they want ultimate control.

victrola
Topic Author

Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:19 pm

Does anyone out there have anything to say in defense of giving the World Cup to Qatar? What do the defenders of Qatar say?

Aesma

Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:09 am

Quoting victrola (Reply 6):
What do the defenders of Qatar say?

Thanks for the millions !
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

victrola
Topic Author

Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:38 am

Quoting Aesma (Reply 7):
Thanks for the millions !

LOL!

Qatar should be stripped of the World Cup and FIFA should go through a major purge.

Asturias

Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:56 am

Quoting victrola (Reply 8):
Qatar should be stripped of the World Cup and FIFA should go through a major purge.

Yes.

Allowing Qatar to host is crossing the line in corruption and douchbaggery.
Tonight we fly

AyostoLeon

Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:25 am

Bribery and corruption at FIFA? Who would have thought?

Votes are a commodity and like any other commodity those who offer the highest price get to wrap them up and take them home.

Australia tried to buy votes by promising to fund sports facilities in other countries. Someone else offered a more attractive price and now Australia is among those crying foul.

Sour grapes at being out-bid.

The conditions of workers in Qatar are horrendous. But who are the managers of the various projects? Why is there no pressure on companies like Leighton and Hochtief to improve conditions for the workers engaged? Let me guess, the improved bottom line and increased dividends outweigh humanitarian concerns.

Business as usual.
The person with no dignity eats his dinner twice

Osubuckeyes

Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:46 pm

Does anyone out there have anything to say in defense of giving the World Cup to Qatar? What do the defenders of Qatar say?

The defense would be that the Mid-East is a huge market for Fifa to tap into. Lots of countries that are also very into soccer (football), but are largely ignored on the world stage on the league and national levels.

PHX787

Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:53 pm

One word- Money

2 words- Oil money

3 words- stinkin' rich monarchs

4 words- stinkin' rich corrupt monarchs

5 words- stinkin' rich disgusting monarchs

6 words- stinkin' rich, human-rights-abusing monarchs.
Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/phx787

DIJKKIJK

Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:06 pm

The main reason should be because of the 100s, if not 1000s, of workers that have died and are still dieing building the venues. That's should be the real outrage.
Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 2):
An investigation by the Mirror into 2022 World Cup host revealed horrific exploitation of migrant workers, who are forced to live in squalor

In case you didn't know, that is exactly how the Gulf states work. It is pretty old news. Still Western companies don't have problems doing business with the Gulf states and a lot of Western expats have no issues going and working there. So why this ruckus over a foot ball tournament?

It is absolute hypocrisy on the part of Western economies to want to do business with and go after the money of such non-democratic violators of human rights, and then kick up a row when one of them gets to organize a football tournament!
Never argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience.

victrola
Topic Author

Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:12 pm

As a commentator on NPR said today "You say Qátar, I say Qatár... Let's call the whole thing off"

bchandl

Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:38 pm

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 2):
These are just a few articles among many others.

That the 2022 Football World Cup be removed from Qatar would be very welcome news.

I hate to play the devil's advocate, but nobody forced them to take that job. They chose to take the job.

flyingturtle

Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:42 pm

Quoting bchandl (Reply 15):
I hate to play the devil's advocate, but nobody forced them to take that job. They chose to take the job.

Unemployment rates. Bleak prospects in the home country. They would all rather take a job in their own country!

It's not like "I've got to choose from working as a desk clerk at 23nd street in Manhattan and a desk clerk at 25th street in Manhattan"...

David
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

B777LRF

Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:55 pm

Quoting osubuckeyes (Reply 11):
but are largely ignored on the world stage on the league and national levels.

And for very good reasons: None of the GCC states are able to field a football team that's even marginally competitive on the world stage. Look at the local league in Qatar FFS, it's a one-city z-list league using local players devoid of the necessary talent to make it into any meaningful league, and a small bunch of has-beans from Europe and Latin America.

If FIFA had any desire to regain just a smidgen of creditability, they'd strip Qatar of the 2022 WC and award it to, say, England. But that's not going to happen; Septic Bladder and his cronies don't give a flying so and so about morals, or how they are perceived by the general public. They live in a bubble, where the only thing that counts is how much they can personally make from it.

The next step will probably see FIFA mandating the tournament be held during the European winter, and all we can hope for is the major leagues of Europe sticking their collective middle fingers to FIFA and tell them to go ahead, enjoy the tournament, we won't be releasing any player in our employ.
Signature. You just read one.

bchandl

Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:18 pm

Quoting flyingturtle (Reply 16):
Unemployment rates. Bleak prospects in the home country. They would all rather take a job in their own country!

It's not like "I've got to choose from working as a desk clerk at 23nd street in Manhattan and a desk clerk at 25th street in Manhattan"...

David

Wow. Okay, your perception of Americans and their job prospects couldn't be more wrong, but ignoring that blantant display of ignorance used to make your argument..... I never once said I didn't understand why they took it, I am just saying nobody forced them to take it.

Your post does nothing to address that.

Pyrex

Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:30 pm

Could the Pope possibly be Catholic?
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

bchandl

Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:47 pm

Quoting Pyrex (Reply 19):

Could the Pope possibly be Catholic?

Could I be typing this from the toilet?

penguins

Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:13 am

My favorite idea is holding the WC in winter. What a joke. That would mess up the premier league, champions league, and every other soccer league in the world.

nighthawk

Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:57 am

The workers are often promised the world, and told they will have a much better life in Qatar. When they get there they often find out that it was all a bunch of lies. Their passport is often confiscated to prevent them from leaving, and they are paid a fraction of what they were originally promised.

So no, no-one is forcing them to take the job, but also no-one is telling them what they are really getting themselves into.

Mir

Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:39 am

What are your thoughts on why Qatar won

Money. Qatar has it. FIFA's people like it, want it, and know that they get it in exchange for a World Cup.

I fully support taking away the WC from Qatar. But not because of the bribery. Neither because it gets warm in summer. The main reason should be because of the 100s, if not 1000s, of workers that have died and are still dieing building the venues. That's should be the real outrage.

Why not all get outraged at all three?

They say everything will be fine. They don't say how, they just say it will.

They get sold a bill of goods, and then when they find out that things are not what they were promised, they have no means of leaving because their passports have been taken and they need the permission of their employer to go home. It's basically indentured servitude, and people don't always know exactly what they're getting into.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

scbriml

Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:46 am

Quoting B777LRF (Reply 17):
The next step will probably see FIFA mandating the tournament be held during the European winter, and all we can hope for is the major leagues of Europe sticking their collective middle fingers to FIFA and tell them to go ahead, enjoy the tournament, we won't be releasing any player in our employ.

I would expect that most top players have clauses in their contracts dictating that they have to be released for competetive international matches.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

B777LRF

Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:29 pm

Quoting nighthawk (Reply 22):
Their passport is often confiscated to prevent them from leaving

Confiscation of passports are not needed, even though it very often happens. All of the GCC countries operate with something called the Kafala system, whereby the employees are sponsored by their employer. This gives the employer the full rights to govern every aspect of the employees life, including either granting or withholding an exit visa. You see, before you are allowed to leave the country, your passport must be stamped with an exit visa. Without that, you're stranded. Most, if not all, expats from the 1st world will usually have a multi-exit visa provided to them. For 3rd world expats, that's not the case. It's not the case either for cabin crew from a certain airline, who's CEO is often referred to as 'the poisoned dwarf'.

Quoting scbriml (Reply 24):
I would expect that most top players have clauses in their contracts dictating that they have to be released for competetive international matches.

I know, and my suggestion is more a personal dream than a realistic scenario. Still, it would be nice to see!
Signature. You just read one.

PHX787

Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:46 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 23):
Money. Qatar has it. FIFA's people like it, want it, and know that they get it in exchange for a World Cup.

If nobody goes to the world cup, would FIFA still get money, is the question.
Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/phx787

kngkyle

Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:23 pm

Quoting PHX787 (Reply 26):
If nobody goes to the world cup, would FIFA still get money, is the question.

Yes, because people would still watch it and TV contracts is how they make 99% of their money. Plus the TV contracts are signed years in advance (2022 might already be signed, not sure) so any boycott of watching them would only hurt the TV networks.

Beardown91737

Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:42 pm

Qatar itself would be stuck with empty hotel rooms and restaurants, but that's about it.

I have heard that Blatter has 100 ideas a day and 101 of them are bad.
135 hrs PIC (mostly PA-28) - not current. Landings at MDW, PIA, JAN.

RobertNL070

Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:02 pm

Quoting Penguins (Reply 21):
My favorite idea is holding the WC in winter. What a joke. That would mess up the premier league, champions league, and every other soccer league in the world.

Verily the World Cup is being held in winter: the Brazilian winter.
Born to be wild ...... until about 9 p.m.
Home = RTM, Rotterdam The Hague.

DocLightning

Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:08 pm

What are your thoughts on why Qatar won and the possibility of the World Cup being taken away from them?

I suggest you do what I do. Don't watch.

If enough people don't watch, then they don't get the advertising revenue and that's the end of FIFA.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

bunumuring

Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:25 am

Hi all,
My opinion? Australia should have been awarded the 2022 World Cup. We have the facilities and the culture/society to make it a huge success. Sydney 2000 Olympics, anyone?
With 8 years to go until Qatar in 2022, we could easily pull it off. We only had 7 years 'notice' for the Sydney Olympics... And were apparently the 'Plan B' in case Athens wasn't able to pull off it's Olympics...
Australia and the 2022 World Cup? We should've been awarded it in the first place. We had an outstanding bid.
Makes me want to boycott Qatar Airways if they ever started flights to Sydney ...
Cheers,
Bunumuring.
I just wanna live while I'm alive!

romeobravo

Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:14 am

Quoting bunumuring (Reply 31):
Australia should have been awarded the 2022 World Cup.

I'd have supported Australia in principle but it suffers from isolation and a poor time zone compared to the rest of the world. It would essentially be unwatchable in Europe and extremely difficult for a lot of fans to get to.

I would have had to have gone with the US again.

bunumuring

Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:25 am

Quoting RomeoBravo (Reply 32):

I'd have supported Australia in principle but it suffers from isolation and a poor time zone compared to the rest of the world. It would essentially be unwatchable in Europe and extremely difficult for a lot of fans to get to.

Hmmm, clearly you don't remember the Sydney 2000 Olympics, arguably the best ever along with London 2012. Your arguments are very weak considering the success of Sydney 2000.

Cheers,
Bunumuring.

[Edited 2014-06-27 20:31:39]

romeobravo

Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:44 am

Quoting bunumuring (Reply 33):
Hmmm, clearly you don't remember the Sydney 2000 Olympics, arguably the best ever along with London 2012. Your arguments are very weak considering the success of Sydney 2000.

Err, no my arguments are not very weak. I agree that Australia could put on a good show - as i said in my post that you failed to digest successfully, i supported Austrlia in principle. my problem was with the practicality of hosting the event in a part of the world that is not only a very long way away from the majority of the major football nations but is also in a completely unworkable time zone for them.

bchandl

Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:47 am

Quoting kngkyle (Reply 27):
Yes, because people would still watch it and TV contracts is how they make 99% of their money. Plus the TV contracts are signed years in advance (2022 might already be signed, not sure) so any boycott of watching them would only hurt the TV networks.
Quoting DocLightning (Reply 30):
If enough people don't watch, then they don't get the advertising revenue and that's the end of FIFA.

Doesn't matter.

The contracts and payments for the right to televise the events are set and executed before one second of coverage is shown.

They pay X amount, not a variable amount based on the viewership totals.

The only one you will be hurting is the TV network who bought the rights.

Also, your scheme won't work. Viewership will just as high as always, your boycott will amount to nothing.

Also, if you enjoy the sport, you will watch, regardless of what you are saying now.

DIJKKIJK

Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:59 am

Quoting bchandl (Reply 35):
Also, your scheme won't work. Viewership will just as high as always, your boycott will amount to nothing.

Absolutely.

If you really want to boycott something to send a message, stop buying the products which are advertised during the game prime time. Also, encourage everyone you know to do the same.

Once companies are made to realize that advertising during such controversial events will actually lower their sales, they will stop advertising, and stop paying insane amounts to TV companies to show their adverts. The TV companies will then stop paying the events' organizing body for rights. In turn the organizing bodies will lose money and be forced to clean up their act.
Never argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience.

RyanairGuru

Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:22 am

Me too, given that they came second in the bidding.

Quoting RomeoBravo (Reply 34):
Err, no my arguments are not very weak.

Actually they are.

2002 was in Korea and Japan. Last time I checked Tokyo is 1 hour behind Sydney and 1 hour ahead of Perth. 2003 RWC was in Australia. I lived in the UK during both of those competitions, and remember that although the games were all in the morning it wasn't a huge deal breaker. More to the point, when you say "difficult to get to" you mean from Europe, even though Australia is a hell of a lot more convenient for Asia, the world's largest soccer market, than Brazil or even Russia.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

bunumuring

Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:37 am

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 37):
Quoting RomeoBravo (Reply 34):
Err, no my arguments are not very weak.

Actually they are.

2002 was in Korea and Japan. Last time I checked Tokyo is 1 hour behind Sydney and 1 hour ahead of Perth. 2003 RWC was in Australia. I lived in the UK during both of those competitions, and remember that although the games were all in the morning it wasn't a huge deal breaker. More to the point, when you say "difficult to get to" you mean from Europe, even though Australia is a hell of a lot more convenient for Asia, the world's largest soccer market, than Brazil or even Russia.

Here, here, as we say in Parliament.
My friends and relatives in Britain had NO trouble with the time zone difference watching the Sydney Olympics. Nor did we in Sydney watching the London Olympics. And as RyanairGuru very correctly points out, Asia is so much closer to Australia...

The US have had the World Cup before. Yes, Brazil straddles the Equator, but let's give it back to the Southern Hemisphere and a nation that has not had it before...

Imagine the QF liveries ... Remember the Ansett Sydney 2000 ones?

Cheers,
Bunumuring.

bchandl

Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:19 am

They came in second. If Qatar loses it the United States will get it.

It is a great choice if taking it away from Qatar takes a while. Infrastructure of mega stadiums is already here.

They can play at Jerry World in Dallas, U of Phoenix stadium in AZ, The Rose Bowl in LA, Lucas Oil in Indy, Crew Stadium in Columbus, Sporting Park in KC, RFK in DC, Orange Bowl in Miami, CenturyLink in Seattle.

A list that includes some world class new stadiums some big time soccer towns (Columbus, Kansas City and Seattle) and it requires absolutely minimum investment.

romeobravo

Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:23 pm

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 37):
Actually they are.

Again no they're not weak, you seem to be another person that has failed to appreciate them. Japan WC far from ideal from a watching point of view and Australia is one more hour further into the black. Australia is also another long haul flight again away from Japan. In fact Australia is a long haul flight away from anywhere significant. Yes it is nearer Asia than Brazil, but as i said in my post, none of the south/east Asian teams are major footballing nations - outside of Japan and Korea. In fact Asia is comfortably the weakest continent for football.

bchandl

Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:58 pm

Quoting RomeoBravo (Reply 40):

What's wrong with the teams needing to fly long distances to get there? Most needed it to get to Brazil.

When you have participants from around the world, there is always going to be long haul flights to get there.

The time zone issue is kind of a big deal. Yet the Olympics has gone to, and will be back in that area soon.

Beijing, Korea and Japan have all or will soon host an Olympics so it is doable.

romeobravo

Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:28 pm

Quoting bchandl (Reply 41):
What's wrong with the teams needing to fly long distances to get there?

It's not the teams it's the fans. It's a very long and expensive flight to Australia from most places. Football fans aren't often the wealthiest either. Both because football is often a working class game, and is played by poorer nations.

It's at least 6000nm to the continents of South America and Africa from Sydney and over 8000nm to the bulk of Europe - the 3 continents where football is the dominant sport. It would be very difficult for a lot of the fans to make it.

Boeing717200

Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:37 pm

Hi all,
My opinion? Australia should have been awarded the 2022 World Cup. We have the facilities and the culture/society to make it a huge success. Sydney 2000 Olympics, anyone?
With 8 years to go until Qatar in 2022, we could easily pull it off. We only had 7 years 'notice' for the Sydney Olympics... And were apparently the 'Plan B' in case Athens wasn't able to pull off it's Olympics...
Australia and the 2022 World Cup? We should've been awarded it in the first place. We had an outstanding bid.
Makes me want to boycott Qatar Airways if they ever started flights to Sydney ...
Cheers,
Bunumuring.

Not to mention the weather. Qatar weather sucks this time of year. Might be cool and rainy on some days in Sydney, but it won't be 110 F.
240 years and the top two candidates are named Dumb and Dumber. Stay classy!

CXfirst

Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:50 pm

Quoting RomeoBravo (Reply 42):
It's not the teams it's the fans. It's a very long and expensive flight to Australia from most places.

I'm not so sure about that. Sure, on any ordinary day, a flight to Australia is expensive, but during the WC, flights get expensive no matter what. Hotels get expensive as well, but Australia is a nation that can cope better than many with those type of numbers when it comes to infrastructure, and with more supply, the better the prices get, and hotels is where wallets suffer.

Australia doesn't have any land connections to anywhere, and people from Uruguay, Argentina, etc., can travel relatively cheaply to Brazil, but you cannot use that as an excuse, as that is more coincidental for an individual competition.

-CXfirst

romeobravo

Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:01 pm

Quoting CXfirst (Reply 44):
I'm not so sure about that. Sure, on any ordinary day, a flight to Australia is expensive, but during the WC, flights get expensive no matter what. Hotels get expensive as well, but Australia is a nation that can cope better than many with those type of numbers when it comes to infrastructure, and with more supply, the better the prices get, and hotels is where wallets suffer.

Well i went to the Euros in Ukraine in '12. Flights were about £200, we stayed in rooms that were £10 a night at the most. Beer was £2 a pint.

As you can see by the amount of Chile and Argentina fans that have gone to this WC, ease to get to plays a huge part.

bunumuring

Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:06 pm

It's not the teams it's the fans. It's a very long and expensive flight to Australia from most places. Football fans aren't often the wealthiest either. Both because football is often a working class game, and is played by poorer nations.

Again, didn't affect all the fans who flocked to Sydney for our Olympics. And using he 'class card' is pretty weak as well, in my opinion. Hardly think cricket fans who come here for the Ashes or league fans following the Lions are 'riicher' than British soccer fans.
Oh well, i don't think Qatar will lose the WC... I'd be mighty shocked if FIFA did reallocate it...
Cheers,
Bunumuring.

romeobravo

Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:18 pm

Quoting bunumuring (Reply 46):
Hardly think cricket fans who come here for the Ashes or league fans following the Lions are 'riicher' than British soccer fans.

You've obviously never spent a day at Lord's.

[Edited 2014-06-28 09:19:10]

fxramper

Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:16 pm

Remove Qatar; replace with USA. Would love FIFA to bring WC back to the states.   

RyanairGuru

Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:05 pm

It's not the teams it's the fans. It's a very long and expensive flight to Australia from most places

60,000 Lions supporters came to Australia last year. Yes, 60,000. And that was one team.

Now I fully understand that your average Lions supporter is better off than the population at-large, but the combined population of the UK and Ireland is, what, 70mn? If you aggregate the population of the entire world, you will have a massive turnout, distance or no distance.

And again, you ignore the fact that the largest soccer market in the world is on our northern border. Your poorly reasoned analysis doesn't explain how millions of Malays, Thais, and Indonesians will flock down on Air Asia X, Scoot, and Jetstar. It doesn't matter that their countries aren't ranked that highly, they love soccer and watch it religiously.

Quoting RomeoBravo (Reply 40):
Japan WC far from ideal from a watching point of view
Quoting RomeoBravo (Reply 45):
Flights were about £200, we stayed in rooms that were £10 a night at the most. Beer was £2 a pint.

At least we know where we stand. Ultimately you want it to be a cheap and conveniently timed spectacle for people from Western Europe, with your opposition laced in crocodile tears.
Worked Hard, Flew Right