Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

aaden
Topic Author

Life/Career Path/choices

Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:48 am

Hi all,

I'm a recent college grad- 2 years ago this summer. I've been struggling to find any type of career path, working jobs that are 10-15 an hr, and not directly in my field. Which is education.

I'm in that strange place where I need experience, yet can't get hired to get experience.

Is it that unusual for a 26 year old to struggle to do much?

Looking at the past two years, I'm not making much progress, and It's starting to weigh on me. I thought I'd be farther along than I am now.

Beardown91737

RE: Life/Career Path/choices

Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:12 am

Sorry to hear that. There is a lot of part time work going around since 2008. My wife works two part time jobs, both employers do not have full time employees. My son doesn't even have a job, but two of the places he works have gone out of business, and another job was temporary.

I offer this not to say you should be satisfied, but to say your situation is very common these days, so do not be discouraged. The economy will get better at some point.

There will be work in education. If you are in an area where the school age population is shrinking, then it will be a long wait. Here in Southern California, some districts are shrinking and others are growing at the same time.

Stick with it, and when the opportunity comes up, then show what you can do at the job.
135 hrs PIC (mostly PA-28) - not current. Landings at MDW, PIA, JAN.

tommy1808

Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:24 am

Quoting aaden (Thread starter):
I'm a recent college grad- 2 years ago this summer. I've been struggling to find any type of career path, working jobs that are 10-15 an hr, and not directly in my field. Which is education.

I'm in that strange place where I need experience, yet can't get hired to get experience.

Looking at the past two years, I'm not making much progress, and It's starting to weigh on me. I thought I'd be farther along than I am now.

Hi,

i feel with you. My career path didn´t start until i was 31, years after i had my degree baged. And while me degree in economics is certainly helpful for what i do, but i still ended up making a career out of hobby, IT, and not what i have learned. I still managed to work my way up to sales director in my former company and now run business development for an well known (in our niche) international company for 3 countries. Not too shabby. Before that i worked lots of part time jobs, non had anything to do with economics, and in the end i had experience in IT, but no degree, and a years old degree with no experience. So, i got myself a 2nd Degree in IT part time and well.. i have an career... and get to use all i know & learned in it.
Career path these days do not have to be straight and in line anymore, but you can still try to design it that way. A friend of mine from NYC had exactly your problem and went to get her teaching experience abroad. She tought English in Japan for a year via http://www.aeonet.com/. Not just was that an awesome, once in a lifetime experience, it also made applications much easier, she learned some japanese and the pay was actually better than in the USA.
About 1/3 of my Trainees (Dual education system in Germany is too complicated to sum up in a sentence ot two) decided to go abroad for a year with a "Work and Travel" program, for you that opens up Canada, New Zealand, Australia, South Korea and Singapore. As an English native speaker it should also be pretty easy to get an English teaching position in Taiwan, a country i can highly recommend to stay in.

best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

casinterest

Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:02 pm

Not sure what type of education you are after, but the South is doing a lot of hiring. I saw that Houston put an add out trying to recruit teachers out of North Carolina, where we need teachers, but the pay is low.

You are still young, and as dire as it seems now, something will come along. Just keep working at it.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did..So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.--Mark Twain

solarflyer22

Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:27 pm

Yeah, I wouldn't despair. My career of went around based on what was available but I ended up ironically back where I had started as an intern and where I I like being.

Speaking of internships....I always found these to be clutch. You get your experience for "free" and THEN you go apply for jobs. In education, this is super, super easy. You can volunteer at basically any public or private school or university. Its an easy way to get your foot into the door. The internship process is so essential because it gives you a chance to gain experience in your field, make connections and make the switch from unpaid to paid. Normally your first employer outside of school is whoever you interned with. They also provide references which are clutch.

If you have bills to pay though, you're just going to have to huff it by doing work and an internship. If you can make it 6 months you'll be set though. My internship went from $0 to %18.67 an hour (a long time ago no less) so it was just huge. Granted, the economy was not in the crapper at the time.

And when you do the internship, you want to extract as much training and experience as you can. Volunteer to learn basically everything you can put on your resume (IT systems, management techniques etc.). Also look for some kind of education certificate. These look really good on a resume.