Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

747400sp
Topic Author

Megabus US 20 Years From Now?

Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:30 pm

When Megabus started in the United States back in 2007, it was mostly operating in the mid west. Now they are operating almost all over the country. Now, in 20 years, they going to have to have some major up dates, for one, they are going to need a newer vehicle than the TD925, and it going to have to ether a double decker or articulated coach. So how do you see MB 20 years from now?

Scorpio

RE: Megabus US 20 Years From Now?

Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:20 pm

Quoting 747400sp (Thread starter):
Now, in 20 years, they going to have to have some major up dates, for one, they are going to need a newer vehicle than the TD925

Well, in Europe, Van Hool has already been delivering the TDX25/27, the updated successor to the TD925/27 since 2012. Since they updated the North American T2140/45 to the TX standard this year, it's likely it won't be long before they update the TD925.

European TDX27:

ArmitageShanks

Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:59 pm

Quoting 747400sp (Thread starter):
So how do you see MB 20 years from now?

More power to them. Its a good cheap alternative for a lot of folks. I never even knew they existed until I saw my first bus of theirs on I-81 about a month ago heading to DC. The side of the bus said it had wifi, movies, etc. Sounds pretty sweet.

NorthstarBoy

Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:41 am

My only problem with Megabus is that they go nonstop. I like riding the bus, but I also like being able to get off and stretch my legs every couple of hours not to mention getting my obligatory "smoke em if ya got em" fix. My mom has talked about the idea of taking Megabus from Memphis to Chicago, but 8 hours on a bus is a very long time to sit.
Yes, I'd like to see airbus go under so Boeing can have their customers!

Scorpio

Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:00 am

Quoting NorthstarBoy (Reply 3):
My mom has talked about the idea of taking Megabus from Memphis to Chicago, but 8 hours on a bus is a very long time to sit.

I find it hard to believe the bus would drive eight hours nonstop without there being rest breaks. Aren't there rules in the US about how long a driver can be behind the wheel without a break? In Europe, I believe it's a maximum of three hours.

KaiGywer

Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:46 pm

Quoting Scorpio (Reply 4):
Aren't there rules in the US about how long a driver can be behind the wheel without a break?

10-Hour Driving Limit
May drive a maximum of 10 hours after 8 consecutive hours off duty.

15-Hour Limit
May not drive after having been on duty for 15 hours, following 8 consecutive hours off duty. Off-duty time is not included in the 15-hour period.

60/70-Hour Limit
May not drive after 60/70 hours on duty in 7/8 consecutive days.

https://cms.fmcsa.dot.gov/regulations/hours-service/summary-hours-service-regulations
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

Flighty

Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:51 pm

Wouldn't the driver need to go to the bathroom every 3-4 hours like normal humans do?

Megabus has the advantage of not needing federal ID to board. There are millions of.. people.. in the US who can't fly.

MSYtristar

Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:56 pm

I took it one time from ATL to NOLA...stopped in MGM and MOB. About 8 hours from what I can recall. Passengers could get off at both stops to stretch/smoke for just a minute, but there were no designated meal stops. The stop in MGM was in a parking lot of a strip mall right off I-85, and the stop in MOB was in a mall parking lot. For $1 would I do it again? Probably.

Scorpio

Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:58 pm

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 5):
10-Hour Driving Limit
May drive a maximum of 10 hours after 8 consecutive hours off duty.

15-Hour Limit
May not drive after having been on duty for 15 hours, following 8 consecutive hours off duty. Off-duty time is not included in the 15-hour period.

60/70-Hour Limit
May not drive after 60/70 hours on duty in 7/8 consecutive days.

That's not what I meant, those are total duty times. There have to be rules on how long they can drive nonstop, without taking, say 15-minute breaks. There's no way that's 10 hours, that'd be criminal.

KaiGywer

Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:41 pm

Quoting Scorpio (Reply 8):
That's not what I meant, those are total duty times. There have to be rules on how long they can drive nonstop, without taking, say 15-minute breaks. There's no way that's 10 hours, that'd be criminal.

Nope, those are the rules. There are no requirement for breaks every so often.
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

EL-AL

Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:03 pm

I used megabus to get from Toronto to NYC in 2011, it was due to last 10:40 hours, but because of heavy traffic, it lasted no less then 13 hours. Apart from the border control. there was just one stop along the way, at about 1pm. Then, I must say, the nonstop rode was too much. There is toilet on the bus and free wifi, but indeed another stop was needed. The only stop we had, someplace in upstate NY, which was very expensive (almost $3 for a small water bottle) and all 70+ passengers on that double decker bus were trapped to buy there, or to stay hungry until 9pm.
every day is a good day to fly

Scorpio

Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:23 pm

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 9):

Wow! That's insane! I looked up the rules in Europe: the absolute maximum without breaks is 4,5 hours, but that then needs to be followed by a 45 minute rest. They can take shorter breaks after less driving, as long as they have 45 minutes of rest for every 4,5 hours behind the wheel.

For comparison's sake: the daily driving limit is 9 hours, which must be followed by 11 hours of rest. This can be stretched to ten hours twice weekly, with 9 hour rest periods three times per week. The weekly limit is 56 hours.

kngkyle

Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:48 pm

It's been suggested to me that I should take Megabus when I go visit family in Michigan (I live in Chicago) but I've always resisted and just stuck with Amtrak. It might be a little more expensive and take slightly longer (assuming it's not rush hour, in which Amtrak would be quicker) but it's just a more pleasant experience. It has everything Megabus has plus room to walk around and a cafe car.

I'm sure Megabus will continue to be successful though - the price certainly can't be beat.

mham001

Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:00 pm

I have no doubt that there are state driver laws. Not to mention standard state labor laws which require breaks and lunch.

KaiGywer

Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:10 am

Quoting mham001 (Reply 13):
I have no doubt that there are state driver laws. Not to mention standard state labor laws which require breaks and lunch.

Interstate trucking and buses are governed by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration. The only part a state plays is in the issuance of the driver's license.

747400sp
Topic Author

Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:41 am

Quoting Scorpio (Reply 8):

It different for tractor trailers, you can drive for 11 hours, but you must take at least a 30 min break. I believe you can only be on duty for 13 hours. Now a motor coach that traveling more than 8 hours, must have an extra driver, so the main driver can take a break. Now Van Hools have a co pilot seat, but MCIs and Prevosts lack this feature, so they end up lossing a paying customer.

joacocifuentes

Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:16 am

Quoting Scorpio (Reply 11):
That's insane!

Thats insane? We made a school trip in 2012 from city, Tandil, to Iguazu Falls, travel time was 32hs nonstop, only to eat lunch and breakfast, dinner was served in the bus.- Also here you have buses that travel 12hs without a stop and we all happy. Some chew coke or whatever to stay awake.- But once again, this is Argentina   

compliancecheck

Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:33 pm

Quoting kngkyle (Reply 12):
but it's just a more pleasant experience.

I tried commuting for a while from NYC to PHL on Megabus/Bolt Bus. In both cities they only have outdoor boarding/waiting areas. While I enjoyed the cost I did not enjoy the cattle car boarding or some of the people I ended up riding with. You get what you pay for!

The end for me came the week of Thanksgiving in NYC. Their parking lot was overflowing with people and it was a torrential down pour. All of their busses were running three, four, five, six, even eight hours behind schedule. Finally, they started yelling out that they were cancelling the busses to various cities - but had no staff to assist anyone. Again, you get what you pay for. I also experienced several highway breakdowns and service failures I'd care not to remember on both Megabus and Bolt Bus.

I called home and had my partner book me a Business Class ticket on Amtrak back to Philadelphia. It was so civilized and so pleasant. I commuted on Amtrak for the next year until I had no reason to commute by public transportation to NYC anymore.

I will always take Amtrak. You will not see me on Bolt Bus or Megabus again.

Aesma

Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:49 pm

Quoting joacocifuentes (Reply 16):
Thats insane? We made a school trip in 2012 from city, Tandil, to Iguazu Falls, travel time was 32hs nonstop, only to eat lunch and breakfast, dinner was served in the bus.- Also here you have buses that travel 12hs without a stop and we all happy. Some chew coke or whatever to stay awake.- But once again, this is Argentina

Well if you're fine with the occasional bus hitting a bridge pile or falling down a ravine, then it's good.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

joacocifuentes

Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:19 am

Quoting Aesma (Reply 18):
Well if you're fine with the occasional bus hitting a bridge pile or falling down a ravine, then it's good.

It is what it is   

TLG

Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:32 am

Quoting 747400sp (Reply 15):
It different for tractor trailers, you can drive for 11 hours, but you must take at least a 30 min break.

Really? I didn't know that. I used to be a truck driver. I drove only local though, so I wasn't famililar with the rules for long haul trucking. But I didn't think that there are any regulations about breaks while driving. I do know that some truck drivers often drive for 8 or 10 hours nonstop.

N1120A

Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:30 am

MegaBus was aggressive, then retrenched, then has grown some more. I'd rather hitchhike
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

747400sp
Topic Author

Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:05 am

Quoting TLG (Reply 20):
Really? I didn't know that. I used to be a truck driver. I drove only local though, so I wasn't famililar with the rules for long haul trucking. But I didn't think that there are any regulations about breaks while driving. I do know that some truck drivers often drive for 8 or 10 hours nonstop.

Yes, I been working on upgrading my CDL from class B to class A, and we were told and trained, that these are the USDOT rules for trucks.

william

Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:07 pm

Quoting Scorpio (Reply 1):
Well, in Europe, Van Hool has already been delivering the TDX25/27, the updated successor to the TD925/27 since 2012. Since they updated the North American T2140/45 to the TX standard this year, it's likely it won't be long before they update the TD925.

European TDX27:

What did Vanhool update? What are the changes?

PPVRA

Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:17 pm

I took it once to try it. It was winter, and the heater was broken.          I found alternate ways for the return trip!

But other than that, the bus was surprisingly good for the price.
"If goods do not cross borders, soldiers will" - Frederic Bastiat

Scorpio

Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:47 pm

Quoting william (Reply 23):
What did Vanhool update? What are the changes?

On the European TX series, the changes include:
-updated exterior;
-new interiors;
-full LED lighting;
-new dashboard;
-new integral cliamate control system;
-etc.

You can find a summary of the updates here:
http://www.vanhool.be/ENG/coaches/TX-range/TXrangeEN.html

N1120A

Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:59 am

Quoting Flighty (Reply 6):

Megabus has the advantage of not needing federal ID to board. There are millions of.. people.. in the US who can't fly.

1) One does not need a federally-issued ID to board a plane.

2) One does not need any ID to board a plane.

FlyDeltaJets

Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:21 pm

Quoting NorthstarBoy (Reply 3):
My only problem with Megabus is that they go nonstop.

It depends on the route, I took MegaBus to DC from NYC and we stopped in Baltimore before DC
The only valid opinions are those based in facts

F9Animal

Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:55 am

Quoting Scorpio (Reply 4):
find it hard to believe the bus would drive eight hours nonstop without there being rest breaks. Aren't there rules in the US about how long a driver can be behind the wheel without a break? In Europe, I believe it's a maximum of three hours.

There is no way I could drive a bus for 8 hours straight without scheduled breaks. I drove for Bolt when they started service in the Northwest. We certainly could take a break after 2 to 3 hours. However, our longest one way route was about 3.5 hours. It is absolutely a terrible idea to let a driver go that long without a break. I compromises safety.

Bolt is also rapidly growing. The Prevost I drove was pretty nice.
I Am A Different Animal!!

mighluss

Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:38 pm

Yesterday a Megabus driver was caught with false transport documents in Massanet (Girona) in a BCN-TLS-LON line, leaving stranded all the passengers in the service area. The company didn't take any responsability on passengers until now, and the bus is still in Massanet...

http://www.lavanguardia.com/sucesos/...-de-un-autocar-quedan-varados.html
Miquel.

skywaymanaz

Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:43 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 26):
1) One does not need a federally-issued ID to board a plane.

2) One does not need any ID to board a plane.

Technically true but TSA has a well documented history of violating their own rules where ID is concerned. That said per their own policies you need to verify your identity. That's not something millions of people who can't fly are going to be able to do since most of them likely are not in the US legally to begin with. TSA used to brag on their blog about catching people every week with fake travel documents but they stopped publicizing it since it was almost always Mexican citizens. Btw Amtrak says you need a photo ID to ride the rails now too. It seems highly unlikely you'll be asked to produce it but their public notices state the ticket clerk and conductor have the right to request it.

FlyDeltaJets

Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:00 pm

Quoting skywaymanaz (Reply 30):
Btw Amtrak says you need a photo ID to ride the rails now too. It seems highly unlikely you'll be asked to produce it but their public notices state the ticket clerk and conductor have the right to request it.

In Penn Station it is frequently requested to have ticket and ID out before allowed down onto Amtrak platforms.
The only valid opinions are those based in facts

N1120A

Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:02 am

That's not something millions of people who can't fly are going to be able to do since most of them likely are not in the US legally to begin with.

Undocumented immigrants often have real IDs.

Btw Amtrak says you need a photo ID to ride the rails now too. It seems highly unlikely you'll be asked to produce it but their public notices state the ticket clerk and conductor have the right to request it.

1) Amtrak is technically a private company and can do what they want.

2) ID requirements are random, and extremely rare. I ride approximately 50 segments a year on Amtrak, and have only been asked for ID once. It pops up on their scanner.