Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

HermansCVR580
Topic Author

Life Before Airliners.net

Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:11 pm

Just curious what did you do before airliners.net? How did we survive without having the latest and greatest info at the click of a mouse? I remember going quarterly to the local hobby shop to get my copy of Airliners Magazine, and then later on I subscribed to Airline Fleet News I think that is what the magazine was called. The OAG was my bible and the only saving grace of the time was it was still ok to go to the airport past security to see the planes up close and personal. I remember finding airliners.net back in about 1997 or 98 while doing a search for the Convair 580, and have been here ever since. What about all of you? How did you survive?
The right decision at the wrong time, is still a wrong decision. "Hal Carr"

MD80

RE: Life Before Airliners.net

Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:17 pm

Magazines, writing letters to airlines with a plea to get brochures or a postcard, studying JP airline fleets   .
Dedicated to the MD-80, MD-90, MD-95, and DC-9: www.MD-80.com

enilria

Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:19 pm

Quoting HermansCVR580 (Thread starter):
The OAG was my bible
Quoting MD80 (Reply 1):
studying JP airline fleets

Dear god me too, although that was before usaviation.com!

OzarkD9S

Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:27 pm

I had subscriptions to ATW and Airliners magazines and went to the airport once a month for a "timetable run".
"True, I talk of dreams,
Which are the children of an idle brain." -Mercutio

rfields5421

Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:29 pm

There were things called libraries where I could go and spend an afternoon/ evening looking at magazines, newspapers and books.
Not all who wander are lost.

flymia

Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:30 pm

For me Airliners.net came first, then the magazines, other sites etc.. Been a member since June 2001 but probably about a year before that is when my interest really spiked. I used to spend an hour or two a night on Anet just looking at pictures and printing out my favorite ones for my binder albums.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

HermansCVR580
Topic Author

Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:32 pm

If it was a crummy fall or winter Sunday afternoon my parents would take me down to ORD for a day. I think I owe a few airlines some money for the amount of bag tags and timetables I took. Sorry Britt, Lufthansa, Mexicana, KLM  

Forgot about JP Airline Fleets last one I bought was the 1991-1992 now its like the holy grail of what types of planes airlines had and airlines that are no longer with us.
The right decision at the wrong time, is still a wrong decision. "Hal Carr"

727LOVER

Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:37 pm

Quoting rfields5421 (Reply 4):
There were things called libraries where I could go and spend an afternoon/ evening looking at magazines, newspapers and books.

Ditto. Aviation Week & Space Technology for this guy.

I used to call up every airline and ask them to send me a 10Q, 10K and annual report.....each quarter...that's how I kept up on fleets.
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

jetblue1965

Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:42 pm

i've subscribed to Airliners Magazine for half a decade (right when they just began publishing)

These days during a slow paced weekend I'll still pop by B&N to read a few aviation mags (i'm guilty here because I just read at the store but rarely buy)

OA260

Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:45 pm

Quoting MD80 (Reply 1):
Magazines, writing letters to airlines with a plea to get brochures or a postcard

+1

Also going around all the airline offices in London and Frankfurt getting timetables. I had Family,neighbours working in the industry too and was lucky to get newsletters and also invites to events as a kid.

longhauler

Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:40 pm

Life before airliners.net? Could you even call it life?

But seriously, I am continually amazed that on here we are all of the same ilk! As a young lad, and not so young a lad, I too subscribed to as many magazines as I could afford, visited the library, wrote to every airline on the earth and made monthly trips to the airport for "timetable runs".

Even today when working, I often make detours in the terminal to see who has timetables. "Where's the Captain? Oh .. he's out scrounging for timetables again .... don't ask!"

Consequently, today I have dozens of boxes of "airliner stuff" in the basement and my partner is a saint.

In todays information age, sadly this is all now unnecessary. Not only is information on the internet garnered quickly, but just about any information is available!
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

mayor

Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:40 pm

Quoting Jetblue1965 (Reply 8):
i've subscribed to Airliners Magazine for half a decade (right when they just began publishing)

Curious about your statement. I've been reading Airliners Magazine since at least the early 90s and you say you've only been reading it for half a decade (5 years, right?), which is about the time they started publishing. What's the right answer? Surely they've been publishing at least since the early 90s (probably more).
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

einsteinboricua

Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:55 pm

Aeroparque (at SJU) whenever I could get the chance. It wasn't until 2005 that I got serious with the aviation industry and discovered a.net. But hey...a kid doesn't have money for magazine subscriptions.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

AM744

Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:06 pm

Magazines that my parents brought from work. ATW, Douglas Service (!). Picking up Paper Timetables from airline offices. Plane spotting at MEX.

AirPacific747

Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:49 pm

I remember in primary school, in the library they had a book about the 747 and the process of an atlantic crossing with illustrations in it. I loved reading this book and also the car magazines.

rfields5421

Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:59 pm

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 14):
I remember in primary school, in the library they had a book about the 747

When I was in elementary school, the B707, CV880 and DC8 were new.      

I was so excited when I got to go to an airshow at Barksdale AFB and actually got to walk through a tanker and a cargo plane (KC-97 & C-124).

MSYtristar

Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:59 pm

I think AOL used to have an aviation discussion board...I was on there all the time. In fact I met this girl on there who convinced me to visit her in FLL...so I did...and she didn't show. That really sucked.

Besides that...monthly trips to the airport to collect new timetables and I used to buy Airliners magazine from Barnes and Noble once a month.

Aloha717200

Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:06 pm

I built addons for Flight Simulator and frequently visited the airport with my old film camera to take pictures of 727s and L-1011s as they were retired  

hoons90

Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:08 pm

Airline in-flight magazines were a big source of information for me, including the fleet pages and route maps.

Does anyone remember this website? https://web.archive.org/web/20020527...1/http://airlines.afriqonline.com/
Flown: 2L 7C 9E 9L AA AB AC AF AY AZ BA BR BX B6 CA CO CP CX DL EK EY JL KE KL LA LH LX MQ NW OZ PD RW SQ TG TP TR TS US WG WN WS XE XJ

vikkyvik

Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:35 pm

Quoting 727LOVER (Reply 7):
Aviation Week & Space Technology

My dad had a subscription from before I can remember all the way through....well, he may still have it! When I was young, I used to just look at the photos in it, but as I got older, I started reading some of the articles as well. To this day, anything that contains pictures of airplanes is an immediate attraction.

Other than that, I would occasionally go to the airport to watch some movements, and I would go to the Hanscom Air Show whenever they held it. I was never into airlines and timetables and all that stuff (I'm still that way). My uncle is an aerospace engineer, and his dad was an aerospace engineer as well, so they influenced me as a kid (both lived with us for a time when I was young).

I discovered A.net when I was searching the internet for photos of airplanes circa 2002 or 2003. Browsed in anonymity for awhile before I started reading the forums.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

SpaceshipDC10

Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:58 pm

Just curious what did you do before airliners.net? How did we survive without having the latest and greatest info at the click of a mouse?

How did I survive? Well I simply had to make do with what was available. It was always frustrating but since there was no other options. I simply couldn't imagine that one day there would something like Internet where I could find a site like this one where other "weirdos" like me would gather, share, talk and so on about airplanes, airlines, airports, routes, technical stuff... Before a.net, books, magazines and other ways were how I gathered knowledge. I used to regularly buy TAHS production lists, Flight International, Airliners, World Airlines Fleets News, and many books. Of course I also wrote to airlines and some manufacturers.

Quoting longhauler (Reply 10):
"Where's the Captain? Oh .. he's out scrounging for timetables again .... don't ask!"

I've never worked in the industry but I can clearly relate to that. People would go nut with me constantly looking up or reading something related to aviation. And now with sites like Flightradar 24, well....

penguins

Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:43 am

My love for aviation began when my brothers took me spotting at KSMO. It became a Saturday tradition. I had lots of books (my favorite was Jane's Aviation Guide) that I would read at dinner. I got a lot from my brothers, too. With the internet, I started by looking at the wikipedia pages on crashes. I came to airliners a few times but left when the video players wouldn't work. Then, I learned about the forums. The rest is history.

N1120A

Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:35 am

A.net has been around for 15 years now, and I've been here for 10, so its kind of hard to remember "the old days." That said, many of us miss the "good ol' days" here at A.net. Especially the mid-2000s. Hard to believe that I'm hosting a 10th anniversary meet at Le Bourget next year.

In the earlier internet era, I belonged to what was then a very active listserv called AIRLINE - which is what ultimately led me to A.net. Also, I used to go to all the airline websites, along with Boeing and Airbus, to look up all the new happenings. In the late 90s/early 2000s, Ryanair's press section was especially fun.

Quoting OzarkD9S (Reply 3):
I had subscriptions to ATW and Airliners magazines and went to the airport once a month for a "timetable run".

I remember clearing terminals out of timetables when I was a kid. Absolutely loved them. Lufthansa's crazy ones were my favorites.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

airportugal310

Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:14 am

Quoting mayor (Reply 11):
Curious about your statement. I've been reading Airliners Magazine since at least the early 90s and you say you've only been reading it for half a decade (5 years, right?), which is about the time they started publishing. What's the right answer? Surely they've been publishing at least since the early 90s (probably more).

I think you are right, mayor, because I've been reading Airlines since at least the late 90's
“They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.”

seb146

Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:33 am

I started picking up timetables at PDX in 1980. I still have ones from Air Oregon and AFS. Even UA when they had service to PDT! Because of the small town I grew up in, the library carried only AW&ST. I would go through that looking for all the newest passenger jets.

Because of my hobby, I actually did get a job at SEA working for the ground crew at a company called Slattery. We did baggage and lav service for Sun Country, Champion Air, Martin Air, and Aeroflot. My first day out, we were waiting for the IL-62 from VVO and we didn't have a radio to listen to approach. The lead said he didn't know how long it would be but it should be soon. I looked south and saw three aircraft on approach. I told him "it's the third one out" and he just laughed at me; he didn't think I could possibly know. Sure enough, third one was our VVO flight! He asked how I knew and I told him that I recognized the other two a/c light arrays but not the third. He avoided me after that....
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

zrs70

Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:28 am

OAG's Frequent Flyer Magazine.

Early AOL Chat rooms for aviation.
20 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2020

Type-Rated

Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:39 am

Back in the late 60's I hung out at ORD & MDW on Saturdays and sometimes on a weekday holiday. I got to know some of the airline employees as they saw me pretty regularly. Eventually my talking about my airport trips interested some of my other friends and they wanted to go with me to ORD. The friendliest agent I met was a hottie named Bonnie from Lake Central Airlines. She always had a smile on her face and she'd answer any question I had about the airport. We'd watch flights coming in from New York and L.A. to see what celebrities we could see getting off the planes. We often saw a lot of them.

The nice thing about going to the airport back then was that if a plane was at the gate but not yet boarding you could nicely ask the agent if you could go on the aircraft and look around. Most of the time they said "OK, but be quick about it." I'd tell them that I collected ticket jackets and they'd always give me a few. Sometimes the F/A's would already be on board and other times nobody would be there.

Later in the late 80's there were some aviation industry local groups that had monthly meetings. People would go to their meetings to hear the local industry news and industry gossip. But with the advent of the internet and aviation specialty websites these groups have mostly suspended operations because the attendance levels really fell off. I think it's because what people came to hear was readily available on the internet and it was no longer required to go to a meeting to get this type of news.
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

teme82

Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:26 am

Hey were there any usenet groups before A.net?!
Flying high and low

Max Q

Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:06 am

Aviation week is a consistently good, well written and fairly accurate magazine. I've had a subscription for over 25 years, one thing they are very good at is being on top of the latest news.

I always look forward to the next edition.
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

GGg

Revelation

Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:09 pm

Quoting rfields5421 (Reply 15):
When I was in elementary school, the B707, CV880 and DC8 were new.

When I was in elementary school, our public library had a hardcover book about the new L-1011 and how it was going to revolutionize the airline industry. Somehow they never got around to mentioning the RB-211 fiasco and how it nearly lead to bankruptcy for Lockheed and did lead to bankruptcy for RR!

Quoting MSYtristar (Reply 16):
I think AOL used to have an aviation discussion board

I was more of a usenet guy.

Quoting teme82 (Reply 27):

It hurts my brain cells to dredge this stuff up, but:

Quote:

Welcome to the moderated misc.transport.air-industry newsgroup. This
group is intended for discussion of the airline/air travel industries.
Discussion of personal air travel belongs in the rec.travel.air group.
Buying and selling of travel belongs in the rec.travel.marketplace group.
Buying and selling of aircraft belongs in the rec.aviation.marketplace
group. Technical discussions of aircraft design belongs in the
sci.aeronautics.airliners group.

Ref: http://www.faqs.org/faqs/air-industry/posting-guide/

I used to read m.t.a back in the day (1990s) but that day is long gone.

It seems it's still out there but next to dead in terms of traffic volume:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/misc.transport.air-industry
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

LittleFokker

Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:01 pm

My love for aviation began when I was in elementary school. My parents ran a small record storage business out of a wharehouse with a pretty good view of 25/7 L/R (IIRC, LAS may have been a single runway in that direction at the time). After school, my mom would often pick me up and bring me back to work for a couple of hours or so. I would sit by the window, watch planes take off and land, and would get excited when the heavies would come in too. I remember seeing the likes of HP's 742, AC's occasional 742, the DC-10 from SY, the L-1011 from TZ (and possibly EA too?). I would look at airline photos in books in the library, but didn't do a lot to support my interest. I didn't become employed in the industry until after A.net was created, and this website has been a major supporter of my interest, and I'm grateful for that.
"All human activities are doomed to failure." - Jean Paul Sartre

vikkyvik

Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:11 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 22):
Hard to believe that I'm hosting a 10th anniversary meet at Le Bourget next year.

10th anniversary of what, out of curiosity?
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

ER757

Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:58 pm

Subscribed to Airliners magazine for several years.
For my real airplane fix though, I used to love going down to the end of concourse L at ORD when I lived there (the days when you didn't need to be a ticketed passenger to go though security). It was before T5 was built and all the international flights would park at the hardstand. The afternoon rush always produced quite a wide variety of wide bodies from Europe.

Continental

Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:25 pm

There were a couple of websites which had a very limited inventory of aviation images. I went there first and to the library to check out books on aviation. I can't believe I've been coming to this site for 13-14 years!

SpaceshipDC10

Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:57 pm

Quoting ER757 (Reply 32):
It was before T5 was built and all the international flights would park at the hardstand. The afternoon rush always produced quite a wide variety of wide bodies from Europe.

I remember that. I also went after T5 was built. The view out of the large windows at the end was really interesting.

nickh

Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:46 pm

Just curious what did you do before airliners.net?

Well, back in the late 1970s and 1980s, we had BBS'es - Bulletin Board Systems - although I can't remember any that were airline/airplane specific.
Maybe FIDONet had some airplane forums that I can't think of at the moment.

And then there was always the USENET News System - well, it's still around. alt.airliners might still be active, I don't know, I haven't booted a NNTP client in over a decade and a half.

Man - I remember the old days - sitting in front of a glowing 12-inch CRT (monochrome, 'natch) with a 300-baud ACOUSTIC modem, dialing around trying to find the latest numbers for BBSes around the country (we had free long distance codes, of course - it was easy to hack the phone system in those days), hopped up on soda and chips...

Good times.

-Nick
"We all have wings, but some of us don't know why..."

YVRLTN

Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:04 am

I used to go to the library and read the Flight International magazine. Always liked the annual fleet lists they did. Plus get out any book I could. Eventually started buying Aircraft Illustrated with my pocket money before eventually switching to Airliner World after their 4th publication after I decided I was more interested in civil aviation than military.

My granddad used to fly a lot and picked me up timetables, there was particularly one published by BAA for all British airports. I am gutted I did not keep those.

I used to buy the annual fleet lists, there was a UK civil register, then ones for bizjets and props. Before getting JP Fleets, I used to get INTAG which was great and some other spiral bound publications not so good before settling on JP.

I remember taking down all sorts of reg'os at LTN of bizjets and wondering if someday in the future I would ever be able to ID them. I am in the process of doing just that still and have had amazing success.
Follow me on twitter for YVR movements @vernonYVR

rfields5421

Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:43 am

Quoting teme82 (Reply 27):

I belonged to an aviation interested BB on CompuServe.

Quoting nickh (Reply 35):
Well, back in the late 1970s and 1980s, we had BBS'es - Bulletin Board Systems - although I can't remember any that were airline/airplane specific.

I remember two focused on Naval Aviation - one run by a guy who worked at NAS Miramar and one from a guy at NAS PCola. Both were privately run individual computers made available - so only one person at a time could connect to the BB.

---------------------

We used to have scripting software which would dial up and connect to CompuServe or a BB and download to our computer all the posts since our last time to connect.

Then we would read the posts while off line - write responsed and connect later to upload our replies, new topics, etc.

This was all text. No graphics, no pictures.

Francoflier

Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:57 am

Just curious what did you do before airliners.net?

It was horrible.

I don't want to talk about it...

I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.