Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

WildcatYXU

RE: US Craft Beer Availability Overseas

Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:25 am

A bit off topic, but I don't want to open a new one for this question: What's the story with packaging the beer into green bottles in Europe? They distribute the beer in open cases, place it on the shelves in grocery stores, all in reach of natural light. As a result every beer tastes the same - skunky. I just came back from the old country last week and I can tell you that I had a serious problem to find a drinkable bottled beer. Not to mention that anything else than a pilsener style lager is virtually non-existent. And I had to listen to all "smart" remarks about how bad our beers are for the whole time...

Superfly

Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:56 pm

Quoting WildcatYXU (Reply 50):
I had to listen to all "smart" remarks about how bad our beers are for the whole time...

A trip to Europe isn't complete without it.

N1120A

Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:56 pm

Quoting PHX787 (Reply 49):
I wouldn't say made by them...the company that owns Blue Moon is owned by Coors but that company makes the beer themselves without Coors' ingredients.

No, its a MolsonCoors product. Was invented by one of their in-house brewers and is made by a division of the company. Not like Goose Island, that was a true independent that was bought.

Bongodog1964

Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:16 pm

Quoting falstaff (Reply 3):
CAMRA does a nice job promoting real ale in the UK, but I have read in the publications that there are many you people in the UK that don't drink real ale. When I visit the UK I see a lot of young people pounding Stella, Fosters, Carling and other yellow beer.

Unfortunately true, real ale is very much a drink for the older consumer.

Quoting falstaff (Reply 18):
In 2010 I was reading an article in Yorkshire Post about people wanting to raise the price of beer to keep poor people from drinking too much. The article talked about cheap beers sold at Tesco and the only beer mentioned by name was Stella.

The supermarkets have many cheaper beers, but Stella has a high alcohol content by UK standards

Quoting falstaff (Reply 18):
A middle aged English couple started laughing and the woman shouted "we call it wife beater".

Completely true.

The UK (England anyway) now has so many small breweries that there's unlikely to be huge demand for imports of similar style brews, hence few US craft beers on sale.

I'm presently in New England and this is the 1st visit I've ever made to the US where I've found good beer readily available, even on draught. Bye bye Bud and Miller

mika

Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:48 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 48):
That is because Blue Moon isn't a microbrew. It is made by Coors.

Oh, well there you go. I had no idea. The brewing empires are getting smart with their marketing these days, i've noticed at least one supposed micro brew here in Sweden that if you read the label carefully is brewed by Carlsberg which is in no way, shape or form a micro brewery. They can't keep their hands out of that growing market i guess.

Quoting PHX787 (Reply 49):

I wouldn't say made by them...the company that owns Blue Moon is owned by Coors but that company makes the beer themselves without Coors' ingredients.

Close enough  

Superfly

Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:57 am

Quoting mika (Reply 54):
if you read the label carefully is brewed by Carlsberg

Speaking of Carlsberg, do they have a line of non-alcoholic beer that looks like a regular Carlsberg? On two occasions recently, I've gone to functions that were serving 'all you can drink' Carlsberg. I had 7 of them an didn't feel any effects of alcohol.

mika

Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:41 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 55):
Speaking of Carlsberg, do they have a line of non-alcoholic beer that looks like a regular Carlsberg? On two occasions recently, I've gone to functions that were serving 'all you can drink' Carlsberg. I had 7 of them an didn't feel any effects of alcohol.

They do indeed, it's identical to a regular Carlsberg bottle apart from it saying that it's non-alcoholic.

Superfly

Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:54 am

Quoting mika (Reply 56):
They do indeed, it's identical to a regular Carlsberg bottle apart from it saying that it's non-alcoholic.

I was looking for the non-alcoholic label but I didn't see it. I also didn't see an alcohol percentage on the label either. It did have some Thai text on the bottle but no '%' anywhere on the label.
Counterfeit booze is a problem here in Thailand.