Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

SmithAir747
Topic Author

After 2 Years In Canada, Moving Yet Again

Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:03 pm

Since September 2012, I have lived up here in the frozen north, Calgary, Alberta. I moved up here as soon as I finished my PhD at the University of California-San Francisco (UCSF). I have been working as a postdoctoral research fellow at the University of Calgary Faculty of Medicine, in craniofacial embryo 3-D imaging and morphometrics.

In December this year, my postdoctoral fellowship expires (ie, no more funding for it after December). So, since June, I have been searching for either a 2nd postdoctoral fellowship or a junior faculty position in craniofacial research, somewhere in the world. I have sent my CV all over North America, the United Kingdom, Australia, and New Zealand.

My craniofacial career began at King's College London in England (2004-2007), then I did my PhD at UCSF (2007-2012), before my current postdoctoral appointment here in Calgary.

I have some promising job leads in the eastern US (eg, Boston, Pittsburgh, Iowa City, Bethesda MD), and await other leads from all over the USA from craniofacial labs I have contacted. New York City has several craniofacial labs/departments.

I have also contacted craniofacial institutes/labs in the United Kingdom, including my aforementioned alma mater King's College London, as well as University College London, Cambridge, and Dundee (Scotland). I would ultimately love to return to the UK (I am praying and pulling very hard for this to succeed).

I have also reached out as far away as Australia and New Zealand. At a recent anthropology meeting here in Calgary (where I presented my research), I connected with a professor from the University of Adelaide who told me there is a craniofacial biology unit at the faculty of dentistry that I should consider joining someday. I have sent my CV there as well (and a few other places down under). I would love to spend some time in Australia or New Zealand as well. I still await a response from Adelaide.

I will let you know where I get job offer(s) and decide to move!

SmithAir747
I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made... (Psalm 139:14)

vikkyvik

RE: After 2 Years In Canada, Moving Yet Again

Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:39 pm

Very cool Francis - it's been quite interesting following your movements around the world over the years.

Here's hoping for much more success and continued well-being.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

Jetsgo

Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:42 pm

I know we don't know each other, but I've been following your stories for several years now on here. To say they are inspiring would be an understatement at best. I wish you all the best in your next adventure wherever it may take you. And if you're ever in NV, first round is on me.   

How's the violin?
Marine Corps Aviation, The Last To Let You Down!

Tugger

Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:57 pm

Quoting SmithAir747 (Thread starter):
SmithAir747

I echo the sentiments of Vikkiyvik and Jetsgo above and wish you good luck in your global search! I see you have a preference for more "global" locations but as I am sure are aware UCSD has some excellent craniofacial personnel, programs and departments (I say this with some amount of hometown pride of course!  )!

Please keep us updated!

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

GrahamHill

Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:19 pm

Wow, it's been two years already?? Time flies. It feels like yesterday when you told us you'd move to Alberta! Good luck in your job search  
"A learned fool is more foolish than an ignorant one" - Moliere

SmithAir747
Topic Author

Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:20 pm

Quoting Jetsgo (Reply 2):
How's the violin?

I took violin lessons this past year at a studio in Calgary. I still play my green violin.

Last year I also got my custom-finished green piano, which goes well with my green violin. The big issue, is what to do with my piano when the time comes to move!

Quoting Tugger (Reply 3):
I echo the sentiments of Vikkiyvik and Jetsgo above and wish you good luck in your global search! I see you have a preference for more "global" locations but as I am sure are aware UCSD has some excellent craniofacial personnel, programs and departments (I say this with some amount of hometown pride of course!  )!

Please keep us updated!

Tugg

I have looked at UCSD, but cannot find any information about craniofacial research. There is a craniofacial center, but it's clinical (surgery, etc).

SmithAir747

BNE

Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:22 pm

I remember you moving to California after you had spent some time in the UK, so it is a surprise that you have spent the last 2 years in Canada. Maybe that tells me how much time I don't spend here.
Hmm Adelaide South Australia is an interesting choice but isn't my first choice of Australian cities to live.
Why fly non stop when you can connect

B-707

Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:02 am

Good luck SmithAir747.

I was in the grounds of King's College two weeks ago, so your post brought back some memories.

Much success to you.

RyanairGuru

Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:53 am

Good luck with your search, and I hope you find the position you want.

I would recommend staying away from Australian universities at this stage, due to some pretty tumultuous changes in the higher education sector in this country. The media attention is on under-graduate fee deregulation, which in theory could lead to more money available for research, but - more broadly - changes to Commonwealth grant funding model for universities are putting a lot of pressure on university budgets across the board. Due to what I might charitably refer to as 'internal uncertainty' (I could use much stronger language!) I would especially caution against the Australian National University and University of Sydney at this stage. It really pains me to list those two, as I have a huge amount of respect for both institutions, but the sad reality right now is that the further you are away from them the better.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

SmithAir747
Topic Author

Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:11 pm

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 8):

The one I'm looking at in Australia is the University of Adelaide.

When I presented my research at an anthropological conference in Calgary this past April, one of the new connections I made was a professor from Adelaide, who told me the university's dental faculty also has a craniofacial biology unit, which I should consider applying to (so I have; my CV is being passed around there).

Ultimately I would love to move back to London (or even Cambridge) in the UK, or as a close second, Australia. Living in London gave me the terminal condition of "Londonitis", where I have the irresistible pull to move back there someday on a permanent basis (and work at my alma mater, King's College London craniofacial department). But if there were an opportunity to spend some time in Australia (ie, if a position were open for me) I would move tomorrow.

If only there were ocean liners again, I would take one to move back overseas. Well, there's Cunard's Queen Mary 2, which would be the perfect way to move back to England should the time come.

Meanwhile, I have some possible leads in the eastern USA, including NYU College of Dentistry in New York City, as well as Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston, among the others I listed before. Living in New York City is tempting, should I stay in the USA.

I do wish St. Louis Children's Hospital (my childhood hospital alma-mater of sorts for my craniofacial surgeries) had a craniofacial laboratory research division, but they don't; otherwise I would move there should I remain in the USA.

I'm pulled many ways.

SmithAir747

Superfly

Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:44 am

Congratulations SmithAir747!   
Keep up the good work man!

Australia and New Zealand sounds cool but if you stay here in the US, you can get that 1978-1981 Chrysler Town & Country wagon you've been looking for.
Bring back the Concorde