sbworcs
Topic Author

RIP Joan Rivers

Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:38 pm

Joan Rivers has dies aged 81.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-29072417

I saw her at the Haymarket in London in the late 90's - hysterically funny but terribly crude at the same time!

RIP
The best way forwards is upwards!

FriscoHeavy

RE: RIP Joan Rivers

Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:41 pm

I'd like to know what caused her to go into cariac arrest and stop breathing while having the minor procedure.

Best wishes to her family.
Whatever

Revelation

Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:14 pm

Strangely enough (or not) she was one of the few celebs I ever encountered in real life, at the John Ringling Museum in Sarasota, FL... RIP, Joan!
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

scbriml

Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:21 pm

Quoting FriscoHeavy (Reply 1):
I'd like to know what caused her to go into cariac arrest and stop breathing while having the minor procedure.

I suspect the risks are significantly higher when operating on an 81yo, regardless of how minor the procedure might be.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

Ken777

Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:58 pm

Quoting scbriml (Reply 3):
I suspect the risks are significantly higher when operating on an 81yo, regardless of how minor the procedure might be.

There was a doctor on TV just a few minutes ago talking about that. He noted that there will be 50 year olds who are not a safe candidate for surgery, and there will be 80 year olds that can handle surgery pretty well. It depends on the physical condition of the patient and that is supposed to be determined by the anesthesiologist's workup before the surgery.

While it's too early to know what happened it has already been announced that there will be an investigation so we will find out eventually.

747400sp

Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:03 pm

I remember her 80s show, and I think I remember her 90s show. I used to watch her show with her daughter on We TV ( yes strait men watch We TV). I pray that peace will come to her daughter Melissa and grand son.

pacificjourney

Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:26 pm

Did Kharma get her ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Cvxre2oBpg
" Help, help ... I'm being oppressed ... "

GIANCAVIA

Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:48 pm

Quoting pacificjourney (Reply 6):
Did Kharma get her ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Cvxre2oBpg

Nope, Pretty ridiculous question to be honest.

AeroWesty

Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:26 pm

Aww, that's sad, Joan was so funny. The first one to stand up and say we had to laugh again after 9/11.

New York Magazine did a great profile about her a few years ago: http://nymag.com/movies/features/66181/

RIP.
International Homo of Mystery

pacificjourney

Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:46 pm

Quoting Giancavia (Reply 7):
Nope, Pretty ridiculous question to be honest.

Really ? Belittle and laugh at the death and misfortune of others one day and a few weeks later pop your own clogs.

Just about the definition of Kharmic retribution I would have thought. I think JR herself would have milked that one for a few giggles.
" Help, help ... I'm being oppressed ... "

GIANCAVIA

Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:58 pm

Quoting pacificjourney (Reply 9):
Really ? Belittle and laugh at the death and misfortune of others one day and a few weeks later pop your own clogs.

Just about the definition of Kharmic retribution I would have thought. I think JR herself would have milked that one for a few giggles.

She probably would have. Though if that was the way it worked Tony Blair would not be wandering around the world being given awards and shit loads of money living a life of big cheesy grins and to bring it back to the point you were making all of Hamas would have dropped dead along with the palestinians who cheered during 9/11. The reality is an old person (possibly had other illnesses) died during surgery, It does happen.

AR385

Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:24 am

Quoting pacificjourney (Reply 9):

There is this wonderful thing called Freedom of Expression. I did not liker her comedy. I found it crude and crass (you may think the same) So I did not watch it. But she had every right to perform her acts and her comedic style anyway she wanted, just as you had the right not to watch it.

Karma is not involved here.

ImperialEagle

Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:31 am

Quoting FriscoHeavy (Reply 1):

The ME's office is equally curious. Anesthesia is my guess. Never know when that stuff will get 'ya. I've seen it time and time again. Lots of funerals for people who go in for simple elective proceedures.

She was tough as nails and an open-book. No games with her. Joan was real.

May she be bound up in the bonds of eternal life and may her memory be for a blessing.

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough!"

dragon-wings

Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:39 am

I'm sorry she died, but I never did like her.
Don't give up don't ever give up - Jim Valvano

Superfly

Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:15 am

So sad to read of this. I thought Joan Rivers was an amazing an hilarious lady all the way till the very end.

Quoting sbworcs (Thread starter):
hysterically funny but terribly crude at the same time!

Well that's Joan Rivers! Being crude is what made her so funny and her raspy voice went along perfectly with her personality.
She would be the perfect guest to have at a cocktail party.
Bring back the Concorde

stlgph

Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:34 pm

i booked Joan & Melissa for my radio show for a pretape. we were rather expecting a "difficult time" but they were calling in right on time and were as pleasant as can be. by the end of it, rather than 5 minutes we had them on for 25. they just cut loose and pretty much anything after 12 minutes was never going to see the light of day on the network (language) but we just let them go anyway and keep on talking.
a few weeks later i was invited to some typical NYC shin dig and the coordinating producer was there. asked if i wanted to meet Joan. sure. so i was introduced and she immediately grabbed my hand and said "thank you!" - remembered how much fun she had and thanked me for being the only program she had worked with that month that was on time. so that was it. so i thought.
fast forward a few weeks later and i'm at the play, 'Breakfast at Tiffany's' at the Cort Theater. at intermission i'm sitting there reading my program and i hear "hey!" "hey!" "hey glasses!" .... "hey bloomberg!" so finally i got my attention in check and i looked up. down the aisle on the right about 10 rows ahead of me was Joan Rivers. "you're on time but you can't hear? what the hell?" she yelled. so i get up ... walk over ...getting right to business about the show "what the hell do you think of this?" i tried to think of something funny to say but gave her an honest answer - which is what she was looking for. apparently good ole Joan was a huge and i mean HUGE fan of live theater and attended regularly. every year around Tony time she would do a write up of her opinion of hits and misses -- and her comments were pretty damn intelligent and thought out. Joan even wrote reviews for a newspaper in Beverly Hills, California, of all things.
the best part was - Joan loved her wine. while you can buy drinks and drink in a broadway show - they come in plastic souvenir cups. Joan was having her white, true to form, in an actual wine glass.
i saw Joan many times after that and she's one of those celebrities that i just took for her as her. i never asked for a picture, or a favor, or anything like that, i've respected that with a few people, and just rather enjoyed the 3-4 minutes we'd spend in passing when i'd see her at other shows - she'd always ask me what i've seen on broadway and off broadway and that is what we'd talk about. she never remembered my name, but always remembered the face and the conversation and that's where it stayed.

although one time she did tell me she loved my orange belt and shoes coordination.

one thing about Joan - she was always Joan. she never half assed it. she never had you standing in a corner going "is that Joan Rivers?" no, Joan dressed up in full Joan Rivers style everywhere she went.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

Revelation

Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:51 pm

Thanks for sharing your neat story with us!

Quoting stlgph (Reply 15):
one thing about Joan - she was always Joan. she never half assed it. she never had you standing in a corner going "is that Joan Rivers?" no, Joan dressed up in full Joan Rivers style everywhere she went.

I agree. The time I saw her in the museum in Florida it was instant recognition even though she was across the courtyard. I got close enough to her to hear her voice and it confirmed what I already knew, it was Joan. I gave her a little smile and she smiled back and I kept going because it seemed she was with friends or family and I didn't want to interrupt her at all. I'm so glad you got a chance to get to know her a little bit.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

Type-Rated

Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:51 am

So far the news is that she was in for a diagnostic procedure, a look at the vocal chords to try to figure out why her voice sounded raspy. They used propofol for the anesthesia during the procedure and something went wrong. It could have been a reaction to the propofol. That's where the investigation is heading now.

I always liked Joan Rivers for the irreverence in her comedy, served alongside a huge dose of New York attitude. She was one funny lady. As Sarah Silverman said "Joan wasn't done yet".
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

stlgph

Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:39 pm

Quoting Revelation (Reply 16):
Thanks for sharing your neat story with us!

Thanks  
Quoting Revelation (Reply 16):
I'm so glad you got a chance to get to know her a little bit.

Joan was unique in that she was always ready to go to work. Without being 100% certain, if I had to make any type of wild assumption about her, it would be this: "whenever Joan Rivers was out, she was working ... whether it be going out to dinner or going to the theater, in some way, shape, or form, her interactions of the night would end up in her act or her interactions would lead to a paying gig somewhere later down the road. She just simply never stopped working. Ever."
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport