ImperialEagle
Topic Author

$3M On Govmt. Study Of Overweight Lesbians---

Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:23 pm

Oh, well. What are we to expect. What's $3M.? A drop in the bucket for what our Government here in the US throws away on stupid studies.

From The Telegraph:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/wom...ay-people-finally-die-a-death.html

I personally could not care less about the weight of lesbians or anybody else. It is not my business.
To single out gay women as a study is just ridiculous. At least the woman writing this article has a good sense of humor about it! Another in a long list of reasons why the Government should stay out of our private lives!
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough!"

Fiesta13

RE: $3M On Govmt. Study Of Overweight Lesbians---

Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:45 pm

Quoting ImperialEagle (Thread starter):
At least the woman writing this article has a good sense of humor about it! Another in a long list of reasons why the Government should stay out of our private lives!

Glad to see you're for LGBT Marriage and women having a right to abortions and basic health care!!

WestJet747

Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:02 am

My favourite quote from the article:

"Heterosexual men are nearly twice as likely to be overweight as their straight counterparts."

Good show, Telegraph. Good show.
Flying refined.

Type-Rated

Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:58 am

I think a lot of lesbians are overweight because they like to throw their weight around.

I learned long ago not to mess with lesbians. They just want to be left alone. And I mean it too!
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

AeroWesty

Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:14 am

International Homo of Mystery

seb146

Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:08 am

You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

tommy1808

Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:35 am

Quoting WestJet747 (Reply 2):
"Heterosexual men are nearly twice as likely to be overweight as their straight counterparts."

the are also about 10 times more likely to actually commit suicide once the thought pops into their head.

It would be interesting to sort the data to perceived repression by society to see if it is more pronounced in areas where homosexuals have a hard time. Although quantifying it may be difficult.

best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......

scbriml

Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:27 pm

What a waste of money. I'd have studied lesbians for half that!   
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

zckls04

Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:29 pm

Argh! I hate "housekeeping". Reposting without quoting the deleted posts:

I personally could not care less about the weight of lesbians or anybody else. It is not my business.
To single out gay women as a study is just ridiculous.

No it isn't. That's a thing called science. Science is about singling things out; it's the foundation of experimental method.

If it helps address the obesity epidemic, then it's worth doing. And in terms of public health, it's hard to think of a more pressing problem.

I think it's generally a little unfair to judge a study that firstly none of you have read the methodology of and secondly hasn't been completed. It may well be that it's a huge waste of money, as many studies are, but sadly science is full of dead ends. It's not always that easy to know in advance which studies will be fruitful though.

It seems reasonable, given the very, very significant statistical difference between the groups examined in the study (gay females and straight males vs gay males and straight females) that it might be worth looking into a bit.

[Edited 2014-09-08 09:13:36]
Four Granavox Turbines!

zckls04

Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:31 pm

Quoting WestJet747 (Reply 2):
My favourite quote from the article:

Good show, Telegraph. Good show.

Media reporting is universally terrible when it comes to science; and that applies to all outlets.

Look at the Civil Aviation forum and find a media story about anything aviation-related. Watch everybody in the thread completely dismantle the article as being inaccurate, biased, misleading and sometimes just completely wrong. See how often a picture of a 747 is labeled as an A380; there is practically zero fact-checking going on when you have to get some copy out quick.

People assume that somehow science is different. It isn't. Journalists are no more scientists than they are pilots. Sometimes they get it right, most of the time they don't.

At the same time though, and for much the same reasons, a lot of money is wasted on scientific research which is largely useless. Money could be spent better, but politicians are no better trained to allocate funding effectively than a journalist. Scientists will always ask for the largest possible budget, and the wheat is not always separated from the chaff as effectively as it should be.

It's right that there is some media scrutiny on what is spent on research- it is after all taxpayers' money- but I would prefer it be done in a responsible manner. That means:

1) The journalist in question should at least have read and understood the aims of the study.
2) The aims and methodology of the study should be made clear when a story is written criticizing it.
3) The original study (not a previous story from the same outlet) should be cited in the article.
4) The study should not be reduced to two words (in this case "fat lesbians") to sensationalize it.
5) Those involved with the study should be given right of reply.

Frankly if a news source can achieve even the first two of these, the story is fair game. Sadly that's rarely the case.
Four Granavox Turbines!

Revelation

Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:45 am

I personally could not care less about the weight of lesbians or anybody else.

How close minded of you. How do you know additional weight isn't some sort of genetic adaptation that favors (hairy) girl on girl lovin'? Science is important!
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

fxramper

Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:52 am

US Senator Coburn has been reporting a lot worse over the years for stupid things the US fed govt spends money on.

http://www.coburn.senate.gov/public/...359436-1572-414e-8acc-0222cad1c7d5