Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Tugger
Topic Author

Apple - What Will Apple Reveal Tomorrow?

Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:09 pm

Pretty much everyone agrees a new larger iPhone6 will be released. Possibly (likely?) in two larger sizes.

The other hot rumor is the "iWatch", which is in my mind still a big question mark. If they do they should release several versions of it as fashion and watch fashion in particular is very finicky. One size most certainly does not fit all (Men's, Women's, and the variety withing each to start with).

Another possible one I have heard is something new/better/re-envisioned for Apple TV.

What else?

Tugg

Ken777

RE: Apple - What Will Apple Reveal Tomorrow?

Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:30 pm

While the larger phones will probably be on the table Apple is going to need to address the issue of customers who find them too large. My 5S fits well in my shirt pocket and I have no desire to buy a purse to carry around a larger phone. My wife finally accepted the 4S size, but there is no way that she will go for the larger 6. Finally, I have a friend who lost control of his arm in an auto accident and has long considered the iPhone as the best design for a one armed man. How big will folks in his situation go? Maybe a normal size 6 will be delivered later, along with a 6C.

Looking at previous comments on HealthKit leads me to believe that it is going to be a huge program Apple. The company has been working with the FDA (and other government agencies) as well as for health care providers, like the Mayo Clinic to set standards. What you see in the next week is going to be a small part of where HealthKit is going to end up.

Apple has built a temporary building outside of the event site. LOTS of space for companies delivering products under HealthKit to have display space - right along with all of the new Apple products released.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/...te-box-next-to-iphone-6-event-site

Apple might have the iPad ready and announce it early, or might hold off until October.

One thing for sure: the next 150 days are going to be very active for Apple and their shippers. Bookings are so high that the volume will make it difficult for competitors to get space:

Quote:

Apple is reportedly securing dates for its upcoming fall shipments, expected to include new iPhone and iPad models, and the number of devices coming out of China is so large that major shipping companies are delaying orders from other device makers.
http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/...ing-delays-for-other-manufacturers

Fiesta13

Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:20 am

Tugger's got it: the Iphone 6 and the IWatch.

No thanks.

TLG

Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:29 am

I'm very interested to see how Apple presents the larger iPhone. They held out at 3.5" for a long time, and then rather begrudgingly went to 4". They have that commercial about the thumb.

I would imagine that iOS 8 will be engineered to accommodate a larger screen by moving prompts & other soft buttons to the bottom. Another thing that would make it easier to use a larger display is to allow icons to be placed anywhere, or at least start at the bottom, not the top left.

One thing I'm very glad to see is NFC payment (provided the rumors are true). I've been using it on Android for a long time, but locations that have the capability are very limited here in the US. If the iPhone has it, hopefully it'll become commonplace very quickly.

I like how Apple creates trends if they don't exist, or expands on them if they are already in place. They usually do things right. I could get into NFC payment secured with the fingerprint reader. On Android I have to put in my PIN. It works fine and takes only a second or two, but I'd rather use my thumbprint.

[Edited 2014-09-08 17:32:26]

RyanairGuru

Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:20 am

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 1):
Apple is going to need to address the issue of customers who find them too large. My 5S fits well in my shirt pocket and I have no desire to buy a purse to carry around a larger phone

I would be reluctant to go above the current 5S size, which I agree is the absolute perfect size to fit in the palm of your hand. I also agree that the iPhone is much easier to use onehanded, which is a massive benefit to me even though I still have two of them.

We will have to wait and see what happens tomorrow. If it is only a marginal increase in size then I could probably learn to live with it, but if Apple goes all phablet on us then I'm going to have to re-evaluate my cellular requirements.

Quoting TLG (Reply 4):
One thing I'm very glad to see is NFC payment (provided the rumors are true). I've been using it on Android for a long time, but locations that have the capability are very limited here in the US. If the iPhone has it, hopefully it'll become commonplace very quickly.

Is this MasterCard PayPass etc? If so then (1) I was shocked at how low the penetration was in the US (also Europe for that matter, although it was higher than the US), it is now universal in Australia, (2) Android has the functionality built in, but you can buy a "patch" (my bank sells it for $2) that you stick on the back of your phone (it can go beneath you case so you never see it) that makes the iPhone compatible as well. Personally I wouldn't waste any money, even such a small amount, on it, but it makes absolute sense for the iPhone 6 to come with such functionality.

Ken777

Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:42 am

Quoting TLG (Reply 4):
I like how Apple creates trends if they don't exist, or expands on them if they are already in place.

Apple has benefitted from being a full vertical company, Your traditional PC company simply took the OS that MS told them to use, got their processors from Intel and there wasn't a huge amount of innovation. Even when there was (like Xerox developing the first GUI) there was little to gain. (Xerox was a WInTel box maker and the only profits they made from their GUI ideas was what they received from Apple - who then took the risks to develop the first Mac.

The iPhone looks pretty common today, but go back to when it was announced and it was a huge leap for "smartphones.". (can be watched at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7qPAY9JqE4 )

Quoting TLG (Reply 4):
They usually do things right.

When they do it's because they take the time to make a product they want to buy themselves. If they aren't satisfied they don't release a product until they are. That is one of the reasons they stopped going to Macworld where they had to announce products in January. An interesting point is that Steve Jobs put Jonathan Ive in a very protected position where bean counters couldn't force him to approve a product that would lower standards to save a buck on costs.

Ken777

Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:41 am

Apple Maps? I remember that a very senior exec named Scott was flat out fired for that FUBAR and his refusal to sign a public apology. Tim Cook (CEO) had no problem signing the letter of apology, nor did he have a problem firing Scott for delivering Maps before it was ready. Pretty clear indication of why Apple likes to hold off on releasing a product before they are ready to be released.

Quoting mt99 (Reply 7):
Who cares who did what first?

First isn't always the long winner. Apple isn't the first to release a smart watch - Samsung ha released several already. (Does anyone here own one?) We'll see how the market reacts to Apple's iWatch as opposed to Samsung's. We'll also see how Apple does with their iPhone range. Samsung basically has a huge market share advantage and Apple traditionally has the vast majority of the profits. (And Amazon has cut the price of their Fire Phone to 99¢   )

OA260

Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:32 am

Will be interesting to see whats on offer but a size larger than my current 5S does not interest me at all. I have an iPad mini for that !

Cadet985

Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:32 am

What will Apple reveal tomorrow?

It will reveal what I'll likely be paying off for the next year lol.

Marc

casinterest

Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:40 am

I will be interested to see what they do with the marketing of the current 5c and 5s. If the 6 comes in at the 5c's current pricing, and the 5s drops $100 and the 5c drops $200, I think they will hit some niche markets. If the 6+ comes in with a +100 spread and a 128 GB size, then they will stretch the high end as well.

I am hopeful for a more inclusive smaller Apple TV experience along the lines of Chrome, but I am not going to hold my breath.

If the watch materializes, that is nice, but unless it can double as a standalone simple "phone" I see no need for it.

I think IOS 8 and the NFC payments will be big especially if they have linked it to the touch ID.

The IPad's are a bit ho hum. I think they need to add some more laptop like interfaces to keep that market going.

Aesma

Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:05 am

Quoting Tugger (Thread starter):
The other hot rumor is the "iWatch", which is in my mind still a big question mark. If they do they should release several versions of it as fashion and watch fashion in particular is very finicky. One size most certainly does not fit all (Men's, Women's, and the variety withing each to start with).

Apple followers didn't seem to mind one size fits all until recently (and the 5C/5S differentiation isn't exactly large).

Quoting TLG (Reply 3):
secured with the fingerprint reader

This I will never want on anything, fingerprints are the things left at crime scenes, I don't want to be the one in jail for another's crime.

At my job finger readers have been installed on the server room where I need to go sometimes, fortunately they're infrared and read veins, not prints. I wonder if a phone could do that, I guess eventually everything's possible.

DocLightning

Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:08 am

Quoting mt99 (Reply 7):

Who cares who did what first? The first phones that had an internet browser was Nokia. And where are they now?

It's hardly a comparable situation. Switching between phone platforms is very difficult, especially if you are Mac user. Switching from a Nokia to a Motorola back then was a pain in the butt if you had to manually transfer your contacts, but otherwise presented no major obstacles.

akiss20

Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:45 am

Thus begins the inevitable, tired, and idiotic devate of Mac vs PC and iPhone vs Android. Can't people just accept that these devices appeal to different segments of the population and that not everyone wants the same thing in their phones? Androids, nowdays, do tend to come out with features first, but they are often not as vetted and integrated with the OS and overall experience as when those features are put in the iPhone. This is great for people who want to be on the cutting edge but don't mind tinkering with their phones to get it where they want it; and that is *perfectly* fine. iPhones tend to be more pick it up and use it, and they are very well adopted into the overall Apple ecosystem given Apple's vertical corporate structure.

I am a system administrator for my lab's HPC cluster, which is all CentOS based so I am not what you would call a luddite, but I still use iPhone. My coworker uses Android and I can certainly see the appeal. Why can't these two camps just let each other be? Why must there be a holy war everytime a new Apple or Samsung phone comes out?

flipdewaf

Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:41 pm

Secure payment system with NFC. People will say "but android have done that" but its the system around it that apple with hope to do differently and make the system seamless and integrated with itunes etc. I can see Apple trying to make a bid for something like paypal.

Should be fun to "watch" aswell (pun intended).

Fred

B777LRF

Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:04 pm

They'll present a slightly upgraded iPhone, think iPad mini that's been shrunk a bit, at a hugely overinflated price - rumors of almost 2K USD for the biggest model will all the 'options' are afloat. I've got a 5, and it does everything I need and a very long list of things I don't (Siri, seriously, anybody ever use that?). But it fits in the pocket, looks nice and works fine and links perfectly with the Macbook. So I'll be giving this one a miss.

As for the watch? No thanks, I'll stick to my trusty IWC.

Stabilator

Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:45 pm

Quoting flipdewaf (Reply 13):
I can see Apple trying to make a bid for something like paypal.

It wont be paypal as they are owned by ebay. Paypal is key to ebay's ease of use, so I can never see them selling paypal to Apple.

Are there App store apps for swipe texting? If not, I seriously hope all of you apple fans get that. Makes my larger device a breeze to text on with one thumb.

fallap

Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:04 pm

I'll stick to Nokia and Windows Phone. I'm some what baffled over the projected huge leap in the price of acquiring one of these new devices.

But who would be silly enough to spend 2K $ on a phone?

casinterest

Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:13 pm

Quoting Fallap (Reply 16):

I'll stick to Nokia and Windows Phone. I'm some what baffled over the projected huge leap in the price of acquiring one of these new devices.

But who would be silly enough to spend 2K $ on a phone?

I am not sure where this 2K came from, everything I have seen suggests a 1K US Dollar top end Iphone 6L(5.5) with 128 GB .

The Iphone 6 (4.7) is going to be rather standard at 699$ and 16 or 32 GB.

Stabilator

Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:15 pm

Quoting Casinterest (Reply 17):

Any chance they will finally add expandable storage?

D L X

Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:18 pm

Quoting Stabilator (Reply 18):

There's already expandable storage. It's called the cloud.

bunumuring

Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:26 pm

As long as the new iPhone X has a blue Telstra tick for regional use, I will be happy and finally be able to upgrade from my iPhone 4S (which I love!)
Have no idea what I am talking about?
You mustn't live in regional Australia then...
Cheers,
Bunumuring.

fallap

Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:32 pm

Quoting Casinterest (Reply 17):
I am not sure where this 2K came from, everything I have seen suggests a 1K US Dollar top end Iphone 6L(5.5) with 128 GB .

I stand corrected then, apparently I had misread the price label. Although the price of 2K have circulated here and there.

casinterest

Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:45 pm

Quoting Stabilator (Reply 18):

I highly doubt it. It adds too much chances of users corrupting their devices and data, along with the fact that the cloud with it's various storage possibilities all exist. However I do wish for it whenever my wife tells me her phone is too full of pictures  .

B777LRF

Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:45 pm

A premature release from a distributor in Hong Kong indicated a price of around USD 1500 (apologies for my exaggeration up thread) for a full-monty'd version, which presumably is without a subscription subsidising the price of the phone.

Phone prices are not, however, equal across borders; some places are much cheaper (or expensive, depends on your point of view) than others.

Klaus

Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:18 pm

Quoting B777LRF (Reply 14):
Siri, seriously, anybody ever use that?

Multiple times on pretty much every day.

Ken777

Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:53 pm

Quoting flipdewaf (Reply 13):
I can see Apple trying to make a bid for something like paypal.

I've read that Apple has signed deals with Visa, MasterCard and American Express. Looks like they are going to find a profitable operation from this business.

BTW, the Apple Store on the internet is closed - the traditional sign that the announcements are close.

Apple also has a basic apple.com page up with the countdown clock and than some light hearted posts below.

Going to apple.com now will get you a live feed of the announcements, which can be more interesting than reading about it later.

Klaus

Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:03 pm

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 25):
I've read that Apple has signed deals with Visa, MasterCard and American Express. Looks like they are going to find a profitable operation from this business.

So far the only field they're actually using to extract significant profits is hardware sales.

Unless they're changing their entire approach significantly, they'll operate the payment service effectively at cost as well in order to make their hardware more attractive.

flipdewaf

Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:07 pm

3D

Filler filler filler

zckls04

Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:16 pm

I'm going to start buying up Casio Databank watches. All the hipsters are going to be crying out for them if the iWatch takes off.

Quoting AKiss20 (Reply 12):
Why can't these two camps just let each other be? Why must there be a holy war everytime a new Apple or Samsung phone comes out?

As far as this forum goes you're worrying about the wrong conflict. Take a look at CivAv- then you'll see a proper holy war.

racko

Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:21 pm

According to the meltdowns on twitter Apple seems to be struggling with livestream technology.

mt99

Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:45 pm

Apple stock up 2%.. lets see if it keeps up

Make that 3%

Make that 2.5%

[Edited 2014-09-09 10:46:59]

[Edited 2014-09-09 10:49:42]

Tugger
Topic Author

Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:03 pm

The Apple Watch is real! And it appears they are doing it right with a large amount of customization available.

(But will pilot's want and wear one?   )

Uh oh, first chink in the armor Ted! It appears to only be available in the square/rectangular form....

Tugg

[Edited 2014-09-09 11:08:21]

D L X

Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:09 pm

Quoting Tugger (Reply 32):

The Apple Watch is real! And it appears they are doing it right with a large amount of customization available.

(But will pilot's want and wear on?   )

Not only is it real, but it's (shockingly!) attractive! I might actually wear that.

Makes the Samsung and others look like the stone age.

Mir

Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:38 pm

Quoting d l x (Reply 19):
There's already expandable storage. It's called the cloud.

Ask various celebrities how that worked out for them recently.

-Mir

D L X

Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:51 pm

Okay, I was originally down on the idea of an apple watch. Now i'm really intrigued, and will have to go check it out. but at $349 for the low end version, i'm not too pleased. I can only imagine that the one I'd actually wear (the Apple Watch Edition) is going to be over $1000.

Then again, a nice luxury watch can cost way more than that.

Quoting Mir (Reply 34):
Ask various celebrities how that worked out for them recently.

Then various celebrities should use passwords other than "password."

OA260

Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:05 pm

After having every model since the 4 its time for me to stick with the 5S I think. I don't want anything bigger as for me the size of the 5S is perfect.

Luftfahrer

Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:07 pm

Hopefully the iPhone 6 Mini will be ready in time for my iPhone 5 replacement.  

Mir

Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:13 pm

Quoting d l x (Reply 35):
Then various celebrities should use passwords other than "password."

Rather presumptuous on your part, isn't it?

-Mir

AirPacific747

Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:49 pm

Looking forward to seeing what all the Apple apologists have to say to the increased phone sizes. First, 3,5" was the perfect size, then 4" and now what? How are they going to criticize all the large Android phones now?

Not saying this as an Apple hater though. I might get the 6+ when it comes out.

casinterest

Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:15 pm

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 39):

Looking forward to seeing what all the Apple apologists have to say to the increased phone sizes. First, 3,5" was the perfect size, then 4" and now what? How are they going to criticize all the large Android phones now?

It's not a matter of being an apologist. It's a matter of preference. Some folks prefer the smaller size. I personally think 5.5 is overkill. However we will see if time proves that to be correct.

Either way Apple does take an argument away from other Smartphones that base their arguments on size. Samsung benefitted greatly from the previous disparity , and they may also suffer the most from the competition of the Iphone 6 and plus.

D L X

Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:23 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 38):
Rather presumptuous on your part, isn't it?

I think you're the one making a presumption when you're implying a security breach.

foxxray

Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:27 pm

I own a Galaxy Note II and I will look at the Galaxy Note IV and iPhone 6+ as my next smarthphone...
5.5 is a minimum for me right now  

Tugger
Topic Author

Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:31 pm

Quoting Casinterest (Reply 40):
Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 39):

It's not a matter of being an apologist. It's a matter of preference. Some folks prefer the smaller size. I personally think 5.5 is overkill. However we will see if time proves that to be correct.

Either way Apple does take an argument away from other Smartphones that base their arguments on size. Samsung benefitted greatly from the previous disparity , and they may also suffer the most from the competition of the Iphone 6 and plus.

It is two way of doing things. Apple tries to produce one thing and hone that one thing to perfection! Steve Jobs was known for being relatively dismissive of "the public and what it wants", instead focusing on what he felt was best, perfecting that, and bringing it to market. And it worked brilliantly so who can argue? The rest of the market and Samsung in particular throws everything out there to the public for the public to try and determine what they like best. And it works very well too! And over the years the market has shown a desire for larger screen and so Apple has wisely decided to satisfy this market. It should honestly do good things for their sales.

The Apple Watch though hearkens back to Steve;s time where they are focusing on one thing and trying to "do it right/do it best". We shall have to see if they succeeded. The only thing I think they may have missed was offering a round/traditional version as I think a lot of people would use that version as well. However they have certainly created a very good looking version (we'll have to wait to see how it works). We shall see happens going forward, I am sure competitors are already gathered in rooms discussing the Apple Watch and what it brings to the table and does differently.

Tugg

Mir

Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:37 pm

Quoting d l x (Reply 41):
I think you're the one making a presumption when you're implying a security breach.

First of all, a security breach definitely did happen. The photos were stolen.

Second of all, it's far more likely that they were stolen by a skilled person with experience at such things and not as a result of the victims choosing poor passwords. Unless you're claiming that the various retail companies that have had customers' data stolen had "password" for their passwords. This isn't the first time data theft has happened.

The fact remains that things on the internet are vulnerable, and the cloud is not a great substitute for actual, physical storage on a device (and security is not the only reason, ease of access is another).

-Mir

wingman

Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:38 pm

A couple of complaints re the watch shape, both here and elsewhere. Would round even work? It seems like someone would've tried a round laptop, desktop, or Galaxy by now if digesting content was palatable in that format. Trying to wrap my head around that but seems a bit unworkable.

D L X

Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:46 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 44):
First of all, a security breach definitely did happen. The photos were stolen.

Second of all, it's far more likely that they were stolen by a skilled person with experience at such things and not as a result of the victims choosing poor passwords.

See that right there is a HUUUUUUGE assumption, and it is an illogical leap. The fact is, the easiest way into someone's account to steal their photos is to get in the same way the authorized user does - with their password.

The fact that it was celebrity photos that were taken, when there are millions of other photos on the system, is a very good indicator that it is a password theft situation, not a hacker breaking in.

Quoting Mir (Reply 44):
Unless you're claiming that the various retail companies that have had customers' data stolen had "password" for their passwords. This isn't the first time data theft has happened.

All thefts are not the same. But if you want to go that route, you should note that Target's and Home Depot's thefts included *millions* of users, not a handful of celebrities. That's how you know there were hackers involved there. That's just not the case with iCloud.

garnetpalmetto

Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:52 pm

Quoting wingman (Reply 45):

A couple of complaints re the watch shape, both here and elsewhere. Would round even work? It seems like someone would've tried a round laptop, desktop, or Galaxy by now if digesting content was palatable in that format. Trying to wrap my head around that but seems a bit unworkable.

Motorola says hi.

http://www.digitalfeedmedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Moto-3603.jpg

Tugger
Topic Author

Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:07 pm

Quoting wingman (Reply 45):

The Moto360 currently is the best looking round smartwatch. The hard part is of course how to take the information made for a rectangular screen and make it work "wonderfully" on a round form factor. But that was something Steve was always focused on: form factor. What should the form of the object be to best do the task at hand as desired by an individual using it? And in Jobs case, a hyper-picky, perfectionist. I am fairly confident that he would have noted that all the greatest watches throughout time have been round and a few exceptional ones were not. I don't know of course where he would have come down on this but my personal opinion is:

... he'd insist on round.

(again just my opinion but he was an idealist when it came to design).

Tugg

Tugger
Topic Author

Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:18 pm

One question I do have for the future is what will they call the "small" version of the 6 (or 7 at that time?). Currently they have the 5S/C holding the "smaller screen" spot in the line up and then the larger 6 and the largest, the 6+. What, the "6 minus"? No.

I find it unlikely they will abandon the smaller screen but I guess this might indicate they are/will be. Honestly I think the three sizes are a good idea and fit the market very well:

Tugg

D L X

Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:21 pm

Quoting Tugger (Reply 48):
... he'd insist on round.

I'm really not so sure. Watches are typically round because their analog hands were round. That's pretty much the only reason. There are plenty of square or rectangular analog watches out there, even if the higher end ones are round. But again, the higher end ones are round because the arc of motion for their hands is round. Get rid of the physical limitation, and you no longer need a round face.

I'm actually quite impressed with the aesthetics of the new watch. i thought it would be chintzy or ugly. Like the Samsung Galaxy Gear.

That MOT watch is pretty attractive though.

By the way: I'm getting the feeling that the Apple Watch Edition is going to be north of $1000, putting it in the luxury range. it's not quite a Tag or a Rolex, but it's getting there, and may be aimed at a similar market.